Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,906 members, 7,810,489 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 10:05 AM

My Brother's Employment Letter Was Withdrawn - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / My Brother's Employment Letter Was Withdrawn (36071 Views)

My Brother's Company Takes Him To Court Because He Resigned / Nigerian Police Officer Dies A Day Before His Promotion Letter Was Released / My Brother Was Sacked And Duped By A Company (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

My Brother's Employment Letter Was Withdrawn by creolehunt: 7:12pm On Nov 10, 2020
About 2 years ago, my brother started working for this company as an intern. The agreement with his manager was that he will be confirmed within 6 months. After about 18months without confirmation, he resigned from the job but still kept contact with people from his former job.

Fast forward to some weeks ago, he heard that his former company needed personnel at a new branch in a new state and it's strictly an internal recruitment. So he met his former manager and expressed interest, the manager pushed his name (eligibility is dependent solely on recommendation by your branch manager) and he alongside others went through series of interviews at the end of which he was employed. Suffice to say that the HR manager was part of these interviews.

He was sent an offer letter plus other documents and he resumed last week monday. Last week Tuesday, he was called by the HRM who asked him series of questions after which the HRM said he didn't know all this while that my brother isn't an active staff and that he (the HRM) was hoodwinked by the branch manager. His argument was tgat there were other eligible candidates who could have been recommended, but the manager brought someone from outside.

Now, the offer letter to my brother has been withdrawn. Same guy that resigned his job the moment he received this offer, he has even told everyone that mattered tgat he was relocating.
Please is there anything we can do to salvage this, it's so heartbreaking. I don't know where they expect him to start from when he gets home.

26 Likes 8 Shares

Re: My Brother's Employment Letter Was Withdrawn by Stephenomozzy(m): 7:12pm On Nov 10, 2020
Mehn.......So sorry....Can't imagine what your Bro would be feeling at this moment;
There's only so little that your bro may be able to do as the branch manager who recommended him is obviously in a lower rung in the hierarchy that decides who and who got employed (though he was still in contact with them doesn't make him an "insider" anymore); and seeing that it was a hush-hush recruitment.....maybe the branch manager might have just chipped it in to the HR people that they're recommending you based on your performance whilst you worked with them;

He may just have to move on......not gon' be easy......but if he didn't entire burn bridges at the "previous place" he resigned from when he got this offer; he can go back and explain things (It will take a LOT OF HUMILITY to do this) and see if he can take back the resignation letter (If he was very vital at the place, they'll likely take him back, though his stay there will not be long again - for personal reasons and the organization's skepticism that he might jump boat anytime again)

58 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My Brother's Employment Letter Was Withdrawn by Tripitaka: 7:13pm On Nov 10, 2020
Gosh, this is so heartbreaking and difficult to read. I certainly wouldn't want to be your brother now.

Most commenters here will take the emotional route, but I'll try and be rational. The problem now isn't that they rescinded the employment after all he wasn't unemployed, but that they made him lose a previous employment.

It is typical that when get new jobs, they resign from the old ones. But a distinction must be made, the new employer did not tell your brother to resign from his job, that was solely his decision. They presented an opportunity to him that triggered a decision-making on his part, he made the decision, albeit one that has backfired.

Most employment letters are also 'at Will', meaning that the employer has certain absolute prerogatives. In fact, the HR could have decided to issue a sack letter instead and it would still be in line.

I sympathise with your brother, but there isn't much that he can do.

17 Likes

Re: My Brother's Employment Letter Was Withdrawn by simple250: 7:25pm On Nov 10, 2020
Why did your brother go back to his vomit nomatter what,he shouldn't have done that .its pay back time from his formal company and now he has lost from both side .

Sorry friend there is nothing your brother can do because the call to take back the employment letter came from above .

67 Likes

Re: My Brother's Employment Letter Was Withdrawn by SenorFax(m): 7:31pm On Nov 10, 2020
Somebody in that company snitched on your brother.
Maybe someone that didn't want him there

72 Likes

Re: My Brother's Employment Letter Was Withdrawn by Uprightness100(m): 7:31pm On Nov 10, 2020
Prayers!
There is nothing Prayers cannot do..
You and your Brother can agree together and control the company on your knees.

Prayers that is backed up with Holy living. That's the Prayers that is effective.

144 Likes 5 Shares

Re: My Brother's Employment Letter Was Withdrawn by creolehunt: 7:11am On Nov 11, 2020
SenorFax:
Somebody in that company snitched on your brother.
Maybe someone that didn't want him there

It is so frustrating. The humiliation and disappointment is hard to stomach. Lalasticlala please help
Re: My Brother's Employment Letter Was Withdrawn by GIANTPLUSHUB: 11:08am On Nov 11, 2020
Mheen! Joy cut short. I wish your brother divine way out.

6 Likes

Re: My Brother's Employment Letter Was Withdrawn by pickatyou2: 11:08am On Nov 11, 2020
Q
Re: My Brother's Employment Letter Was Withdrawn by Biden101: 11:08am On Nov 11, 2020
Your brother is a winner.

Goodluck.

3 Likes

Re: My Brother's Employment Letter Was Withdrawn by Nobody: 11:08am On Nov 11, 2020
Issokay
Re: My Brother's Employment Letter Was Withdrawn by ProffesionalJob(m): 11:08am On Nov 11, 2020
H
Re: My Brother's Employment Letter Was Withdrawn by Houseofglam7(f): 11:09am On Nov 11, 2020
cry
Re: My Brother's Employment Letter Was Withdrawn by GodWrites: 11:09am On Nov 11, 2020
The best thing you brother can do now is to pick himself up and keep fighting. I know it's easy to say, but that's the only option as there is nothing much he can do.

2 Likes

Re: My Brother's Employment Letter Was Withdrawn by Sterope(f): 11:09am On Nov 11, 2020
Well, it was an internal recruitment. I hope he gets something better soon.

6 Likes

Re: My Brother's Employment Letter Was Withdrawn by rawtouch: 11:10am On Nov 11, 2020
sad
Re: My Brother's Employment Letter Was Withdrawn by Emmy3(m): 11:10am On Nov 11, 2020
Like you rightly pointed out, it was strictly an internal recruitment which disqualifies your brother the moment the company accepted his resignation letter (if they did).
If you choose to toy the path of legal lacuna if whether your brother's resignation letter was accepted in the proper manner or any other lacuna,
it would not only be wasteful but disastrous.

I advise you ask to brother to plead with the company and write back that he took a study/developmental break or something if he didn't clearly state his motive of resignation earlier.
He should further to state that he has been a passive staff while away and this qualifies him proving that he hadn't taken up any related offer during this time.......
Las las, only pleading, prayer & politics would your brother back.

19 Likes

Re: My Brother's Employment Letter Was Withdrawn by fatymore(f): 11:10am On Nov 11, 2020
Olorun apese isemiran.

Konisemi, konsekurolaye.

Let him dust himself up and forge ahead.

I don't know why people always go back to a place they left before, you played into their hand's ni.

Once you go back, you are opened to all forms of humiliation.

4 Likes

Re: My Brother's Employment Letter Was Withdrawn by omowolewa: 11:10am On Nov 11, 2020
Your brother should start looking for another work sir.

There must have been some disgruntled staffs working against your brother.

1 Like

Re: My Brother's Employment Letter Was Withdrawn by bigdammyj: 11:11am On Nov 11, 2020
Noted
Re: My Brother's Employment Letter Was Withdrawn by 9jayes: 11:11am On Nov 11, 2020
Two set of people involved in getting your brother sacked before even employed.

1. One of the candidates

2. Village people

Solution: Serious prayer for a opportunity somewhere else cos dis one is gone

1 Like 1 Share

Re: My Brother's Employment Letter Was Withdrawn by Omezif(m): 11:11am On Nov 11, 2020
Hard luck
Re: My Brother's Employment Letter Was Withdrawn by Asadujames202(m): 11:11am On Nov 11, 2020
Next time he should apply through a serving Senator

Sorry for the rough time
Re: My Brother's Employment Letter Was Withdrawn by GeeMeshin1(m): 11:12am On Nov 11, 2020
Pathetic and heart-wrenching

2 Likes

Re: My Brother's Employment Letter Was Withdrawn by skentelelady(f): 11:12am On Nov 11, 2020
He should not have gone back to the company. Although there is nothing bad re applying for a higher role in your former place if work but he should have known better the kind of management they have

I just read the recruitment was internal. Your bro came from outside because he has his person in the company to give him info. I am sorry your bro was not fit for the role then

He should pray to get a better offer soon. He shouldn't go back to where he resigned because he will suffer the worse

9 Likes

Re: My Brother's Employment Letter Was Withdrawn by Nobody: 11:12am On Nov 11, 2020
angry.... Call the Police cool
Re: My Brother's Employment Letter Was Withdrawn by nautybride: 11:12am On Nov 11, 2020
Sorry. There is nothing that can be done.
Your brother should just move on.
The boss probably had a candidate for the position.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

My Current State Of Mind / Is It Possible For OND Holder To Earn Upto 80k Per Month? / Where And Which Organisation / Company Is Recruiting : Help Someone In Need

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.