Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,377 members, 7,819,371 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 03:02 PM

My Brother's Employment Letter Was Withdrawn - Career (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / My Brother's Employment Letter Was Withdrawn (36083 Views)

My Brother's Company Takes Him To Court Because He Resigned / Nigerian Police Officer Dies A Day Before His Promotion Letter Was Released / My Brother Was Sacked And Duped By A Company (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Brother's Employment Letter Was Withdrawn by Nobody: 11:58am On Nov 11, 2020
HR personnel from different companies communicate with each other. Especially when an employee is quitting a good job to join a better company.

Whatever you do, don't have any issue with your managers and HR staff. They can fvck you up in your current and the next job.

Ps - Nigerians are naturally wicked, imagine what a Nigerian with power would do to you.

2 Likes

Re: My Brother's Employment Letter Was Withdrawn by ariesbull: 11:58am On Nov 11, 2020
creolehunt:
About 2 years ago, my brother started working for this company as an intern. The agreement with his manager was that he will be confirmed within 6 months. After about 18months without confirmation, he resigned from the job but still kept contact with people from his former job.

Fast forward to some weeks ago, he heard that his former company needed personnel at a new branch in a new state and it's strictly an internal recruitment. So he met his former manager and expressed interest, the manager pushed his name (eligibility is dependent solely on recommendation by your branch manager) and he alongside others went through series of interviews at the end of which he was employed. Suffice to say that the HR manager was part of these interviews.

He was sent an offer letter plus other documents and he resumed last week monday. Last week Tuesday, he was called by the HRM who asked him series of questions after which the HRM said he didn't know all this while that my brother isn't an active staff and that he (the HRM) was hoodwinked by the branch manager. His argument was tgat there were other eligible candidates who could have been recommended, but the manager brought someone from outside.

Now, the offer letter to my brother has been withdrawn. Same guy that resigned his job the moment he received this offer, he has even told everyone that mattered tgat he was relocating.
Please is there anything we can do to salvage this, it's so heartbreaking. I don't know where they expect him to start from when he gets home.

Life is risk, there is nothing you can do...they offered him a job and later changed their mind due to the simple fact that it was an internal recruitment which your brother isnt a staff

Let him know that in life you do not do short cut... he should just take it as life and move on
Re: My Brother's Employment Letter Was Withdrawn by Reptyle(m): 11:59am On Nov 11, 2020
creolehunt:
About 2 years ago, my brother started working for this company as an intern. The agreement with his manager was that he will be confirmed within 6 months. After about 18months without confirmation, he resigned from the job but still kept contact with people from his former job.

Fast forward to some weeks ago, he heard that his former company needed personnel at a new branch in a new state and it's strictly an internal recruitment. So he met his former manager and expressed interest, the manager pushed his name (eligibility is dependent solely on recommendation by your branch manager) and he alongside others went through series of interviews at the end of which he was employed. Suffice to say that the HR manager was part of these interviews.

He was sent an offer letter plus other documents and he resumed last week monday. Last week Tuesday, he was called by the HRM who asked him series of questions after which the HRM said he didn't know all this while that my brother isn't an active staff and that he (the HRM) was hoodwinked by the branch manager. His argument was tgat there were other eligible candidates who could have been recommended, but the manager brought someone from outside.

Now, the offer letter to my brother has been withdrawn. Same guy that resigned his job the moment he received this offer, he has even told everyone that mattered tgat he was relocating.
Please is there anything we can do to salvage this, it's so heartbreaking. I don't know where they expect him to start from when he gets home.

Sadly, there is nothing that can be done to remedy this situation.

If the recruitment exercise was targeted internally at employees that are already within the system, the manager had no business recommending your brother for the job seeing he is now an external candidate. From your own post, you stated that your brother had resigned sometime back.

Infact, if it is the company I currently work for, that manager will face very stiff disciplinary actions and could even be sacked because what he did will be considered a breach of his integrity. The HR person that facilitaed the process will also be sanctioned severely for not ensuring due diligence of the process before sending out the letter of employment.

Your brother will need to try elsewhere.

2 Likes

Re: My Brother's Employment Letter Was Withdrawn by otabuko(m): 12:02pm On Nov 11, 2020
Your brother isn't a loyal person. He wasn't confirmed and he sped off. He didn't know what God was planning for him. I wish him Goodluck next time.

1 Like

Re: My Brother's Employment Letter Was Withdrawn by just4wilson(m): 12:03pm On Nov 11, 2020
Someone from that department worked against him. Let him move on, I know it's hard to get over it
Re: My Brother's Employment Letter Was Withdrawn by casiello(m): 12:07pm On Nov 11, 2020
I'm actually shocked that everyone is laying emphasis on the job requirement rather than the employment letter.

The only grounds the HR have are if he was categorically asked during the interview or job application if he was an internal staff, and OP's bro responded yes to that question (meaning he lied).

Or if the employment contract states that the offer is subject to the employee being a current staff at the time of accepting the offer.

Now, I understand why many Nigerians struggle to understand their rights. I'm shocked that most people here believe it's an invalid employment simply because of a discretionary job requirement.

@OP, though your brother may have legal grounds based on the terms of the employment letter and responses provided during the application process but I'd advise that he tries to negotiate with the company after all the negligence is on their part and not your bro. If they insist that he leaves, then he must be compensated. This is assuming that employment contract contains no clause that he must be an existing staff or he didn't lie during application and interview.

Lastly, your bro might decide to just let it go for the sake of peace for his former manager, especially if his continued stay would cause problems for his former manager.

1 Like

Re: My Brother's Employment Letter Was Withdrawn by Abudu2000(m): 12:16pm On Nov 11, 2020
SmartPolician:
creolehunt
I am sure you need a way out, so here's what he should do.
You see, your brother should swallow his pride and beg his former employer.
He needs to return to the job he resigned from.
As for the new position, he should just move on.
If the last company is not willing to take him back, he should move on too.
Life is full of up-and-down lessons
He lost a job; he didn't lose his life
there's no pride to swallow neither is there a job to return to. All companies/employers values loyalty over anything else. Will u take him back if u were in the employers position? Take me for instance my current boss knows i will never trade my position for no amount in the world, I'm more than an employee to him I'm a friend and a family. Imagine me having a spare key to his office, only a boss who trusts his employee will do that and the moment one betrays trust lkke that then nothing else matters.

2 Likes

Re: My Brother's Employment Letter Was Withdrawn by 27Pushing30: 12:16pm On Nov 11, 2020
Reading the comments I can only laugh.

Corruption is truly a NIGERIAN way of life.
Re: My Brother's Employment Letter Was Withdrawn by SmartPolician: 12:24pm On Nov 11, 2020
Abudu2000:
there's no pride to swallow neither is there a job to return to. All companies/employers values loyalty over anything else. Will u take him back if u were in the employers position? Take me for instance my current boss knows i will never trade my position for no amount in the world, I'm more than an employee to him I'm a friend and a family. Imagine me having a spare key to his office, only a boss who trusts his employee will do that and the moment one betrays trust lkke that then nothing else matters.

Huncle, calm down
Company policies vary.
Don't use your company as a yardstick for comparison.
My friend who works in one Tony Elumelu's company told me that they are free to return after quiting their job.
The only condition is that you were not fired
While I understand your argument perfectly, you should know that company policies vary

1 Like

Re: My Brother's Employment Letter Was Withdrawn by oxiide22(m): 12:30pm On Nov 11, 2020
settle your village people and thank me later
Re: My Brother's Employment Letter Was Withdrawn by mastermaestro(m): 12:39pm On Nov 11, 2020
casiello:
I'm actually shocked that everyone is laying emphasis on the job requirement rather than the employment letter.

The only grounds the HR have are if he was categorically asked during the interview or job application if he was an internal staff, and OP's bro responded yes to that question (meaning he lied).

Or if the employment contract states that the offer is subject to the employee being a current staff at the time of accepting the offer.

Now, I understand why many Nigerians struggle to understand their rights. I'm shocked that most people here believe it's an invalid employment simply because of a discretionary job requirement.

@OP, though your brother may have legal grounds based on the terms of the employment letter and responses provided during the application process but I'd advise that he tries to negotiate with the company after all the negligence is on their part and not your bro. If they insist that he leaves, then he must be compensated. This is assuming that employment contract contains no clause that he must be an existing staff or he didn't lie during application and interview.

Lastly, your bro might decide to just let it go for the sake of peace for his former manager, especially if his continued stay would cause problems for his former manager.

You are the one who actually has little understanding of the implications of his brother's actions. The dude deceived his interviewers with the help of his former manager. HR only found out after employment letter had been issued. I am sure HR probably went through his records because someone amongst disgruntled applicants (staff) rightly raised dust over his recruitment against standard company criterion.

As it stands, the dude has zero ground for contesting his sudden disengagement. In fact the company could sue him for mischief and false representation. I am sure the said manager who encouraged this mischief would be in soup as we speak. He will no longer be trusted on matters like this.

We are talking about a managerial position here, not any position. Hardly does a reputable company recruit an outsider to fill up a managerial vacancy. Very uncommon.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Brother's Employment Letter Was Withdrawn by Abudu2000(m): 12:46pm On Nov 11, 2020
SmartPolician:

Huncle, calm down
Company policies vary.
Don't use your company as a yardstick for comparison.
My friend who works in one Tony Elumelu's company told me that they are free to return after quiting their job.
The only condition is that you were not fired
While I understand your argument perfectly, you should know that company policies vary
yes u may return to a company you left only and if only you left on a good grounds eg further education, an emergency leave etc but on this basis of cheating like its done in a relationship the company which is the bf here will be filled with jealousy. Think of it as choosing an institution as a third choice while others who selected it as first, who will that institution pick first? Now they will already have replaced him with another staff, now if u were the replacement they place to fill his void how would u fill if u were let go off your job because they wanted the okd staff back? Be rational, the guy's done! That's what desperation lands one into.
Re: My Brother's Employment Letter Was Withdrawn by ViktorOG: 12:53pm On Nov 11, 2020
Its as simple as contacting the Public Complaint Commission nearest to you and file a complaint against the company. With the story you painted, I assure you, you will get justice and get compensated. Good luck.
Re: My Brother's Employment Letter Was Withdrawn by Ashirioluwa: 12:58pm On Nov 11, 2020
I will blame your brother for this. He is not qualified for the job but he used his connections to get the job anyway because it was stated in the advert that you must be a current employee to qualify for the job.

Nothing your brother can do than to start looking for another job. I wish him best of luck in his job searching
Re: My Brother's Employment Letter Was Withdrawn by ViktorOG: 12:59pm On Nov 11, 2020
Abudu2000:
yes u may return to a company you left only and if only you left on a good grounds eg further education, an emergency leave etc but on this basis of cheating like its done in a relationship the company which is the bf here will be filled with jealousy. Think of it as choosing an institution as a third choice while others who selected it as first, who will that institution pick first? Now they will already have replaced him with another staff, now if u were the replacement they place to fill his void how would u fill if u were let go off your job because they wanted the okd staff back? Be rational, the guy's done! That's what desperation lands one into.
That's not even the issue. Assuming he stole money during his first spell and decided to apply for another opportunity, its left for the HR not to treat his application. But had to employ him and revoke the employment after a day? He needs to be compensated to state the least.
Re: My Brother's Employment Letter Was Withdrawn by Eagba(m): 1:04pm On Nov 11, 2020
Uprightness100:
Prayers!
There is nothing Prayers cannot do..
You and your Brother can agree together and control the company on your knees.

Prayers that is backed up with Holy living. That's the Prayers that is effective.
what if the other person that finally got the job is also praying at the moment. well only God can settle score
Re: My Brother's Employment Letter Was Withdrawn by Sanchez01: 1:11pm On Nov 11, 2020
braine:
Can he take legal steps? The company should be sued.
Trust me, they will sue him for recruitment fraud.

1 Like

Re: My Brother's Employment Letter Was Withdrawn by creolehunt: 1:14pm On Nov 11, 2020
mastermaestro:

You are the one who actually has little understanding of the implications of his brother's actions. The dude deceived his interviewers with the help of his former manager. HR only found out after employment letter had been issued. I am sure HR probably went through his records because someone amongst disgruntled applicants (staff) rightly raised dust over his recruitment against standard company criterion.

As it stands, the dude has zero ground for contesting his sudden disengagement. In fact the company could sue him for mischief and false representation. I am sure the said manager who encouraged this mischief would be in soup as we speak. He will no longer be trusted on matters like this.

We are talking about a managerial position here, not any position. Hardly does a reputable company recruit an outsider to fill up a managerial vacancy. Very uncommon.

He did not deceive the interviewer neither was he told it was an internal recruitment. It's just that he knew that its typically an internal recruitmemt considering he had worked with them before. He knows that such roles are for current staff but still expressed hopeful interest to his manager anyway.

The manager then recommended him for interview alongside other staff from their branch at the end of which he was selected. In defense of the BM, he recommended my brother as he knew his capacities and that if my brother inevitably excels, it will further enhance his (managers) reputation.
Re: My Brother's Employment Letter Was Withdrawn by creolehunt: 1:17pm On Nov 11, 2020
ViktorOG:

That's not even the issue. Assuming he stole money during his first spell and decided to apply for another opportunity, its left for the HR not to treat his application. But had to employ him and revoke the employment after a day? He needs to be compensated to state the least.

Surprisingly, the HR is not been questioned for not doing due diligence. They just instructed my brother to go home that the offer was in error.
Re: My Brother's Employment Letter Was Withdrawn by Chila364: 1:18pm On Nov 11, 2020
seniorkachion:

Sent #300.
Cheers.
Thanks so much God bless you abundantly

1 Like

Re: My Brother's Employment Letter Was Withdrawn by casiello(m): 1:30pm On Nov 11, 2020
mastermaestro:

The difference between my opinion and yours is that you arrived a conclusion without authenticating all the facts while I didnt. You say he has zero grounds while I say it depends on the whole application process and not just the single job requirement that it is an internal vacancy. This is because job requirements are not sacrosanct and can be overlooked at the employer's discretion.

Now, my point is, if its provable that HR was deceived (which is not hard) then you are right. It's the actions and activities leading up to the bro's employment that matters, that is why I proferrred several suggestions based on the limited information the OP shared of which one of my suggestions is in agreement with yours.

What I didnt like is everyone joining the bandwagon and arriving at a conclusion based on limited information only. Haba!

Ok, let me make it easy.

@OP, was your brother or his former manager at any point during the application or interview asked if your bro is an active staff?

Did your bro or his former manager encounter any clause or statement categorically stating that your bro must not proceed with his application if he is not an active staff?

If the answer to any of these questions is Yes, then he should forget about the job because misrepresentation has occurred. If it is No for both, then he has grounds to negotiate his employment or disengagement compensation.
Re: My Brother's Employment Letter Was Withdrawn by mastermaestro(m): 1:31pm On Nov 11, 2020
creolehunt:

He did not deceive the interviewer neither was he told it was an internal recruitment. [/b]It's just that he knew that its typically an internal recruitmemt[b] considering he had worked with them before. He knows that such roles are for current staff but still expressed hopeful interest to his manager anyway.

The manager then recommended him for interview alongside other staff from their branch at the end of which he was selected. In defense of the BM, he recommended my brother as he knew his capacities and that if my brother inevitably excels, it will further enhance his (managers) reputation.

I don't want to argue with you. If he didn't know that it was strictly for current staff, then how did you? Maybe the word 'deceived' sounds too harsh to you, but it is the truth! Your brother had prior knowledge of the company's position in this regard.

Whichever way you want to look at it, the HR and interviewers were initially made to believe (deceived) that your brother was 'qualified' when he actually wasn't. There must be a new meaning for the word 'deceive'.

You only want sympathy which I certainly have for your brother. It was a huge mistake to have left a job for one that he didn't 'qualify' for. Shalom!
Re: My Brother's Employment Letter Was Withdrawn by mastermaestro(m): 1:33pm On Nov 11, 2020
Sanchez01:

This was what I pointed out, but some folks were just being emotional.
Re: My Brother's Employment Letter Was Withdrawn by OgogoroFreak(m): 1:38pm On Nov 11, 2020
As your own spoil, another person own just better. Your door close, another person own open.

Take heart. God knows best.

1 Like

Re: My Brother's Employment Letter Was Withdrawn by braine(m): 1:41pm On Nov 11, 2020
Sanchez01:

If thats the case, there's nothing he can do than to move on
Re: My Brother's Employment Letter Was Withdrawn by solonubinho(m): 1:42pm On Nov 11, 2020
Your brother has a good case against the company. What does the termination clause in the letter say? Was he given a 1 month notice?Was he paid any advanced salary in the absence of the notice? If the answer to these are no, he has a fantastic case on his hands. Send a DM I can assist in reviewing the agreement and advise on how to proceed.

1 Like

Re: My Brother's Employment Letter Was Withdrawn by Ndaduma: 2:23pm On Nov 11, 2020
The rule of the game both in Public sector and Private sector is that once you resign on your own volition, you cant be employ back. You can only be hire back if it's the organisation that disengage you. So, your brother should look elsewhere.
Re: My Brother's Employment Letter Was Withdrawn by dearie(m): 2:33pm On Nov 11, 2020
I don't understand what most of the people here are saying.

If your brother knows he never lied about his status in the company all through the interview and recruitment process...then my friend, he has good legal grounds to approach them for compensation especially seeing that he has suffered double loss.

However, he might be putting his former Manager and HR guy in a truckload of trouble cos they goofed.

2 Likes

Re: My Brother's Employment Letter Was Withdrawn by ViktorOG: 2:38pm On Nov 11, 2020
Ndaduma:
The rule of the game both in Public sector and Private sector is that once you resign on your own volition, you cant be employ back. You can only be hire back if it's the organisation that disengage you. So, your brother should look elsewhere.
Lies from the pit of hell!...

1 Like

Re: My Brother's Employment Letter Was Withdrawn by Ganjafama(m): 2:39pm On Nov 11, 2020
Village people at work. I really feel for your bro.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Yagana Musa Bags The Rank Of Major In Nigerian Army (Photos) / Is It Possible For OND Holder To Earn Upto 80k Per Month? / My Current State Of Mind

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.