Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,157,988 members, 7,835,314 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 08:31 AM

Breaking News: Senate Passes Freedom Of Information Bill - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Breaking News: Senate Passes Freedom Of Information Bill (563 Views)

Lai Mohammed Assumes Office As Minister Of Information And Culture (Photos) / Senate Passes 46 Bills In 10mins / Breaking News: Senate Stalls Obanikoro’s Ministerial Confirmation (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Breaking News: Senate Passes Freedom Of Information Bill by rebranded(m): 4:47pm On Mar 16, 2011
The Senate today passed the Freedom of Information Bill. The House of Representatives had passed the Bill on February 24.

It has taken the current session of the National Assembly a total of four years to pass the Bill, which has been renamed the Right of Information Bill 2011. It was reintroduced in the National Assembly in 2007, shortly after the current session of lawmakers was constituted.

The Bill was sponsored by Abike Dabiri (ACN, Lagos), a former journalist.

The Bill will make it easier for Nigerians to have access to information on government activities. Among other things, it will establish a (new) right for any person to request information, "whether or not contained in any written form which is in the custody or possession of any public official, agency or institution."

According to section 5 of the Act, where information is applied for under the Act, the public institution shall, within seven days after the application is received, make the information available to the applicant.

A person who is denied access to any information may, however, sue the public institution within 30 days of the notice of denial and the court is mandated to hear the case summarily under the Act.

It is an offence punishable by three years imprisonment, under the Act, for any public officer of a public institution to destroy, alter, falsify, or deliberately misrepresent information kept in their custody.

Over 85 countries around the world have implemented some form of such legislation. Sweden's Freedom of the Press Act of 1766 is the oldest.

Read More: http://234next.com/csp/cms/sites/Next/News/National/5683645-146/story.csp
Re: Breaking News: Senate Passes Freedom Of Information Bill by rebranded(m): 4:47pm On Mar 16, 2011
They have all decided to wake up when they know PDP days are numbered grin grin
Re: Breaking News: Senate Passes Freedom Of Information Bill by CrudeOil2(m): 4:54pm On Mar 16, 2011
Bullshite! They had no choice anyway.
Re: Breaking News: Senate Passes Freedom Of Information Bill by TewMuch: 5:08pm On Mar 16, 2011
*whistling*

I can see clearly now- Johnny Nash

Buhari threat is real, PDP is acting like they actually know the right things to do. Is this the new PDP? PDP with a conscience? We will like to see the contents of that bill, i suspect it may have been altered or "amended". Big question, will Jonathan sign it? This can finally make or break his election. This bill is very very important. Is he willing to explain to Nigerian's what happened to the reserves par this bill? shocked grin cheesy
Re: Breaking News: Senate Passes Freedom Of Information Bill by blacksta(m): 5:24pm On Mar 16, 2011
I heard on AIT yesterday that one has to seek the courts permission before u can request a FOI . Looking at the way Courts handle matters in Nigeria - you will have to wait for years before the courts grants authority.

I would love to see the contents of the bill.
Re: Breaking News: Senate Passes Freedom Of Information Bill by Kobojunkie: 5:26pm On Mar 16, 2011
^^^ Make we see whether this president go sign am into law before election. That way you might not have to wait till next year to see it.  grin No more excuses, 20 days is more than enough to sign that document into law, or tell us why it needs to be sent back to senate.
Re: Breaking News: Senate Passes Freedom Of Information Bill by dellnet: 5:32pm On Mar 16, 2011
I already have my wish list waiting. So many things need explanation in Nigeria.

(1) (Reply)

I Would Like To Like Posts / Soyinka Criticises Igp On Use Of Cell Phones At Polling Stations / Nigeria's Ruling Party Faces Possible Runoff-a Parade Of Deciets

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.