Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,757 members, 7,824,174 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 02:55 AM

Jerry Rawlings Dies Of COVID-19 Disease - Foreign Affairs (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Jerry Rawlings Dies Of COVID-19 Disease (47203 Views)

Video Of Jerry Rawlings On Hospital Bed Before His Death / Photos Of Late Jerry Rawlings & 12 Things You Don't Know About Him / Burundi President Pierre Nkurunziza Died Of COVID-19 Disease - Medics (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Jerry Rawlings Dies Of COVID-19 Disease by Notatribalist(m): 8:00pm On Nov 12, 2020
dasparrow:

But I saw the news on Rawlings passing on YouTube so perhaps you're living under a stone? Your president Nana Akuffo just declared a week of mourning in Ghana. I am neither Ghanian nor live on the Continent of Africa yet I am more informed than you. How come?
You came late to the party.The news is everywhere now
Re: Jerry Rawlings Dies Of COVID-19 Disease by meobizy(f): 8:10pm On Nov 12, 2020
I like how this disease is wiping off the old generation. We still have ninety year old great grandmothers in villages who catch only sniffles from the virus. The average black person is blessed physically and physiologically.
Re: Jerry Rawlings Dies Of COVID-19 Disease by ofiko123(m): 8:11pm On Nov 12, 2020
RIP jerry Rawlings..
Re: Jerry Rawlings Dies Of COVID-19 Disease by ChaosMagus: 8:23pm On Nov 12, 2020
Forumobserver12:

The man staged a second successful coup from prison, that's how he escaped death...

In fact he was tortured like a criminal.. for instance His finger nails were pulled out with pliers. Growing up, I used to think to become a president in Ghana, torture was part of the orientation...lol
Re: Jerry Rawlings Dies Of COVID-19 Disease by PoliteActivist: 9:37pm On Nov 12, 2020
soojar:

It helps the living one. It helps them by giving them strength to bear or manage the loss.

How? It gives them exactly same thing as saying "may hos soul RIP". It is simply a greeting of respect not that it does anything for anybody
Re: Jerry Rawlings Dies Of COVID-19 Disease by Thor19: 11:27pm On Nov 12, 2020
Re: Jerry Rawlings Dies Of COVID-19 Disease by comfokon: 11:55pm On Nov 12, 2020
Notatribalist:
Verify news before pushing it to front page..I am in Ghana and I have not even heard the news here.

you should have deleted this comment by now.
Re: Jerry Rawlings Dies Of COVID-19 Disease by LikeAking: 12:23am On Nov 13, 2020
Asifiwe:
A True Hero. The man who brought Ghana out of the grip of destroyer through a revolution, A man who was quoted to have said, NGERIAN LOVES THEIR OPPRESORS.
he came, he saw, he served. You will never be forgotten when history is written
Adieu General Rawlings. Rest in Power

True.
Re: Jerry Rawlings Dies Of COVID-19 Disease by Unrated900(m): 6:03am On Nov 13, 2020
Righteousness89:
O my God!
Jerry Rawlings is gone....
Condolences to the Ghana people and His Family..

Life! Life! Life!
There is nothing in this life oo..
No matter who you are, what you have or whatever, Death will Humble you.

In this Privileged life that we have , Humble yourself before God, live according to His way and whenever you are called home you go peacefully and in Glory..

We all are Nothing but mere toys in God's Hands..

Most Important is to understand that irrespective of the Number of years we live and our accomplishments here on Earth, if we Die without JESUS Christ, it is a Waste of Existence..

Now i agreed with you in your last phrase
If we die without Jesus it’s a waste of existence.
Always stays on thread like this,rather than jumping from politics to romance and romance to family.
Re: Jerry Rawlings Dies Of COVID-19 Disease by soojar(m): 7:04am On Nov 13, 2020
PoliteActivist:

How? It gives them exactly same thing as saying "may hos soul RIP". It is simply a greeting of respect not that it does anything for anybody

Who are you greeting? the dead?
Re: Jerry Rawlings Dies Of COVID-19 Disease by PoliteActivist: 9:00am On Nov 13, 2020
soojar:

Who are you greeting? the dead?

Let's say a governor's dad dies and his underlings take out a full page ad with the dad's pic and the words "May his soul rest in peace". Who are they doing it for?
Re: Jerry Rawlings Dies Of COVID-19 Disease by connkg(m): 10:10am On Nov 13, 2020
codemaniacs:

you can't be Yoruba..

any Yoruba person who reads Nigeria's history and also reads about the civil war will know one thing, the Igbo leaders wanted only igbo people in all institutions outside and within the eastern region... ahmadu bello complain about it, akintola also complained about it... this was before the war..

during the war, their plan was to attack and take over lagos island, which was the FCT but they will have to go through ondo, ogun to get to Lagos, this means thousands or millions of Yoruba people will have been killed if your savior Ojukwu was successful...

so a Yoruba person saying "May be that's what Ojukwu would have done" is very ignorant of Nigeria's history and 98% of Igbo leaders and people behavior towards non-Igbos both in the past and present..

The civil war was more a fall-out of the so-called Igbo coup, where military officers of mainly Igbo extraction did not fully execute violent overthrows in four places with three bands. It is noteworthy that the Lagos strike group drove all night and arrived Enugu the morning after.
Do you mean that "Igbo leaders" encouraged these officers, or that they were the "Igbo leaders" to whom you refer?
Do you think Ojukwu was picked/ chosen by "Igbo leaders" or he was already an "Igbo leader", like Gowon was a "Mid-Belt leader" then?
I think Nnamdi Azikiwe was more an Igbo leader because he remains one of the few who could campaign in three major Nigerian languages.
Re: Jerry Rawlings Dies Of COVID-19 Disease by codemaniacs: 10:15am On Nov 13, 2020
zz
Re: Jerry Rawlings Dies Of COVID-19 Disease by soojar(m): 11:34am On Nov 13, 2020
PoliteActivist:

Let's say a governor's dad dies and his underlings take out a full page ad with the dad's pic and the words "May his soul rest in peace". Who are they doing it for?

You tell me, I don't know
Re: Jerry Rawlings Dies Of COVID-19 Disease by PoliteActivist: 1:37pm On Nov 13, 2020
soojar:

You tell me, I don't know

I thought u were Mr. Know-it-all, out to change long-standing tradition
Re: Jerry Rawlings Dies Of COVID-19 Disease by soojar(m): 2:09pm On Nov 13, 2020
PoliteActivist:

I thought u were Mr. Know-it-all, out to change long-standing tradition

No sir, I know nothing, just wondering what's the logic of telling somebody that can't hear you or even do anything about his/her situation to rest in peace.

And obviously you have no clue too the reason you do what you do.
Re: Jerry Rawlings Dies Of COVID-19 Disease by PoliteActivist: 3:44pm On Nov 13, 2020
soojar:

No sir, I know nothing, just wondering what's the logic of telling somebody that can't hear you or even do anything about his/her situation to rest in peace.

And obviously you have no clue too the reason you do what you do.

Genius, it's same reason reason family members will publish in newspapers "Papa, it's been a year since u left us, you were such a wonderful father..."
They are not publishing it so the dead person will see and read it, genius
Re: Jerry Rawlings Dies Of COVID-19 Disease by soojar(m): 4:41pm On Nov 13, 2020
PoliteActivist:

Genius, it's same reason reason family members will publish in newspapers "Papa, it's been a year since u left us, you were such a wonderful father..."
They are not publishing it so the dead person will see and read it, genius

So, what did the papa now say after that? grin
Re: Jerry Rawlings Dies Of COVID-19 Disease by PoliteActivist: 7:44pm On Nov 13, 2020
soojar:

So, what did the papa now say after that? grin

Same thing u say when someone says "good morning". It is a greeting. It is tradition. You don't start analyzing it: "What do u mean by good morning, it has been raining since 5am, look at this traffic!.."
Re: Jerry Rawlings Dies Of COVID-19 Disease by somehow: 7:50pm On Nov 13, 2020
VeeVeeMyLuv:
those days when we have authentic real badass brave soldiers in Africa!

But soldiers Now, I don't know?

What Kd Ng failed to do in naija messing up very badly in a terrible way. I guess J. Rawlings learnt from the naija mistake, and made sure the revolution in Ghana was thoroughly and surgically executed.

But this does not answer how he escaped the death sentence and still came back to kill the elites of them.
Re: Jerry Rawlings Dies Of COVID-19 Disease by soojar(m): 8:21pm On Nov 13, 2020
PoliteActivist:

Same thing u say when someone says "good morning". It is a greeting. It is tradition. You don't start analyzing it: "What do u mean by good morning, it has been raining since 5am, look at this traffic!.."

If someone says good morning to me, I reply him "good morning" or "thank you"
Re: Jerry Rawlings Dies Of COVID-19 Disease by PoliteActivist: 12:29am On Nov 14, 2020
soojar:

If someone says good morning to me, I reply him "good morning" or "thank you"

So why don't you first analyze it before u answer? Because it is merely a greeting, merely tradition. Same way saying RIP about a dead person is tradition, a word of condolence. It is not something you analyze
Re: Jerry Rawlings Dies Of COVID-19 Disease by soojar(m): 8:13am On Nov 14, 2020
PoliteActivist:

So why don't you first analyze it before u answer? Because it is merely a greeting, merely tradition. Same way saying RIP about a dead person is tradition, a word of condolence. It is not something you analyze

I actually analyzed it that the person is wishing me a good morning and I say 'thank you'. But telling the dead to RIP is what I'm asking about.

Guy I know it's your tradition, I'm saying critically looking at it, it makes no sense. It's some people's tradition to:

1. disfigure their children face in the name of tribal mark
2. classify some people as 'osu' and some as not
3. FGM is another known tradition
etc.

To some people its tradition, to some people it makes zero sense.

I am saying as a matter of personal opinion, it does not make sense greeting the dead or telling him/her to rest in peace. He/she can neither hear you nor can your wish for him change the fortune. Your condolence or greeting or sympathy should be directed to the ones still living, most especially the immediate family members who just had a loss.

Thank you.
Re: Jerry Rawlings Dies Of COVID-19 Disease by PoliteActivist: 1:49pm On Nov 14, 2020
soojar:

I actually analyzed it that the person is wishing me a good morning and I say 'thank you'. But telling the dead to RIP is what I'm asking about.

Guy I know it's your tradition, I'm saying critically looking at it, it makes no sense. It's some people's tradition to:

1. disfigure their children face in the name of tribal mark
2. classify some people as 'osu' and some as not
3. FGM is another known tradition
etc.

To some people its tradition, to some people it makes zero sense.

I am saying as a matter of personal opinion, it does not make sense greeting the dead or telling him/her to rest in peace. He/she can neither hear you nor can your wish for him change the fortune. Your condolence or greeting or sympathy should be directed to the ones still living, most especially the immediate family members who just had a loss.

Thank you.

My friend you miss the point - IT IS NOT EVERYTHING YOU ANALYZE! If a woman is asking her dead husband why he left her, u don't go there and be a genius. Same thing if she's telling him to RIP. Other examples u gave are hurting people, otherwise they would be left alone.
If u say it's just a personal opinion, then keep it to yourself!
Re: Jerry Rawlings Dies Of COVID-19 Disease by soojar(m): 6:03pm On Nov 14, 2020
PoliteActivist:

My friend you miss the point - IT IS NOT EVERYTHING YOU ANALYZE! If a woman is asking her dead husband why he left her, u don't go there and be a genius. Same thing if she's telling him to RIP. Other examples u gave are hurting people, otherwise they would be left alone.
If u say it's just a personal opinion, then keep it to yourself!

Sir, I expressed my opinion, you barged into my comment, If you have no tenable explanation to what I opined, you could just read and move on. Believe me, it wont make you a dunce because most people don't have explanation too, apart from those that claim the dead can hear them (another belief/tradition of some people that doesn't make sense )
Re: Jerry Rawlings Dies Of COVID-19 Disease by PoliteActivist: 9:55pm On Nov 14, 2020
soojar:

Sir, I expressed my opinion, you barged into my comment, If you have no tenable explanation to what I opined, you could just read and move on. Believe me, it wont make you a dunce because most people don't have explanation too, apart from those that claim the dead can hear them (another belief/tradition of some people that doesn't make sense )

Your opinion begs for exactly the comment I gave you. You keep such opinions to yourself if you can't deal with those comments. It is like if you see someone say "good morning" and you start asking what exactly makes it a good morning! You see someone say RIP and, of all things, you go : "Why are you saying RIP, he can't hear you!" As if even if he can hear that will make him RIP!!
Re: Jerry Rawlings Dies Of COVID-19 Disease by soojar(m): 12:36am On Nov 15, 2020
PoliteActivist:

Your opinion begs for exactly the comment I gave you. You keep such opinions to yourself if you can't deal with those comments. It is like if you see someone say "good morning" and you start asking what exactly makes it a good morning! You see someone say RIP and, of all things, you go : "Why are you saying RIP, he can't hear you!" As if even if he can hear that will make him RIP!!

As I said sir, If you talk to the dead please go ahead. If you follow bandwagon go on, But if you don't have explanation to what someone else has as an opinion but you keep talking here and there to try and make meaning of what you know nothing about, I will advise you to rest.

In case you don't want to rest though, let me poke you a bit more. @the bolded, at least I can reply, whether in the negative or positive. Your RIP is directed to the wrong person, the dead can't hear you bro! That it is the tradition doesn't mean it's appropriate (by my opinion). And if you are not okay with that, well, you can wake up in the money and be greeting goats and dogs around your area good morning and make it your own tradition.

You also missed a line there, if the person can hear you, he can actually adjust himself to RIP if he didn't plan to before then. The fact is that he can't hear you, whatever you say to him is useless, say whatever you have to say to the living rather, they are the ones that need it.
Re: Jerry Rawlings Dies Of COVID-19 Disease by PoliteActivist: 2:59am On Nov 15, 2020
soojar:

As I said sir, If you talk to the dead please go ahead. If you follow bandwagon go on, But if you don't have explanation to what someone else has as an opinion but you keep talking here and there to try and make meaning of what you know nothing about, I will advise you to rest.

In case you don't want to rest though, let me poke you a bit more. @the bolded, at least I can reply, whether in the negative or positive. Your RIP is directed to the wrong person, the dead can't hear you bro! That it is the tradition doesn't mean it's appropriate (by my opinion). And if you are not okay with that, well, you can wake up in the money and be greeting goats and dogs around your area good morning and make it your own tradition.

You also missed a line there, if the person can hear you, he can actually adjust himself to RIP if he didn't plan to before then. The fact is that he can't hear you, whatever you say to him is useless, say whatever you have to say to the living rather, they are the ones that need it.

YOU missed it. What u r are saying is for the living, yourself included, not for the dead. Besides - and this is where you lose the argument and should henceforth shut up - HOW ARE YOU SO SURE THE DEAD CAN'T HEAR YOU??
Re: Jerry Rawlings Dies Of COVID-19 Disease by soojar(m): 4:49pm On Nov 15, 2020
PoliteActivist:

YOU missed it. What u r are saying is for the living, yourself included, not for the dead. Besides - and this is where you lose the argument and should henceforth shut up - HOW ARE YOU SO SURE THE DEAD CAN'T HEAR YOU??

You can actually do the shutting up if I don't sir.

I got your point now, so you talk to the dead? interesting. Anyway, I don't speak to the dead so I wouldn't know.

Since you do, whats their reply whe you tell them to RIP grin
Re: Jerry Rawlings Dies Of COVID-19 Disease by PoliteActivist: 6:23pm On Nov 15, 2020
soojar:

You can actually do the shutting up if I don't sir.

I got your point now, so you talk to the dead? interesting. Anyway, I don't speak to the dead so I wouldn't know.

Since you do, whats their reply whe you tell them to RIP grin

If the basis is reply, do u pray? I bet u do. What's God's reply to you?? When you say "Sai baba", what does Bubu reply to you?? Like RIP, you are saying it for yourself and people around, not for Buhari to hear and reply you. BESIDES, how are you sure the dead don't hear us??
So, any way you look at it, YOU LOSE!
Re: Jerry Rawlings Dies Of COVID-19 Disease by soojar(m): 8:28pm On Nov 15, 2020
PoliteActivist:

If the basis is reply, do u pray? I bet u do. What's God's reply to you?? When you say "Sai baba", what does Bubu reply to you?? Like RIP, you are saying it for yourself and people around, not for Buhari to hear and reply you. BESIDES, how are you sure the dead don't hear us??
So, any way you look at it, YOU LOSE!

I'm not competing with you sir, so no room for loss here.

Again I'm sorry that you committed fallacy of unwarranted assumption, hasty generalization, I don't say "sai baba" and I never told you I pray either.

Back to the topic, so, according to you, the dead hear you but they can't reply and you also said you are talking to yourself (small small sha o, make people no call am another thing grin) Case closed then.

Have a good night.
Re: Jerry Rawlings Dies Of COVID-19 Disease by PoliteActivist: 10:48pm On Nov 15, 2020
soojar:

I'm not competing with you sir, so no room for loss here.

Again I'm sorry that you committed fallacy of unwarranted assumption, hasty generalization, I don't say "sai baba" and I never told you I pray either.

Back to the topic, so, according to you, the dead hear you but they can't reply and you also said you are talking to yourself (small small sha o, make people no call am another thing grin) Case closed then.

Have a good night.

Genius, "you" here doesn't have to mean you personally. It is just illustrating so many things people say and don't get replied. You don't complain of any of them except RIP.
Yes, someone in the throes of grief is free to say things like "why did you leave me?" which can be viewed as talking to himself, without someone like you rushing to tell them the dead can't hear them

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Videos Of Some Live Explosions In Ukraine Cities By Russian Troops (Video) / Nancy Pelosi Refuses To Commit To Sending Articles Of Impeachment To Senate / Tension Rise Between South Africans And Foreigners (Video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.