Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,757 members, 7,824,172 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 02:33 AM

Photos Of Late Jerry Rawlings & 12 Things You Don't Know About Him - Foreign Affairs (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Photos Of Late Jerry Rawlings & 12 Things You Don't Know About Him (60907 Views)

Video Of Jerry Rawlings On Hospital Bed Before His Death / Jerry Rawlings Death: Akufo-Addo Declares 7 Days Of National Mourning In Ghana / Jerry Rawlings Dies Of COVID-19 Disease (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Photos Of Late Jerry Rawlings & 12 Things You Don't Know About Him by jjWhite1234(m): 10:06pm On Nov 12, 2020
Fela of Ghana

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Photos Of Late Jerry Rawlings & 12 Things You Don't Know About Him by UCHIHAmask: 10:10pm On Nov 12, 2020
Fuckingmallam45:
A lot of people tend to celebrate Rawlings because the optics are good. Yes, he came to power via a millitary coup detat but left as an elected civilian president. He stressed financially judicious policies, struck down on corruption and overall actually did more to develop Ghana than anyone since Nkrumah.

But these actions do not make one a Revolutionary. A revolutionary challenges and attempts to change a system in place that oppreses or otherwise subjucates. Rawlings never tried to change the system in place, in fact he only wanted to make the preexisting system “better", and like I stated, some of his policies ended up hurting Ghana badly down the line.

At the crux of it, he either lacked the balls to challenge the West (like a certain Nelson Mandela) or simply just had great ideas but not a transcendental leader by visionary proclivities (Haile Selassie etc). Thus there's little to no chance why the West will ever see him as a threat. It's not like Rawlings was actively challenging for African control over commodity prices, the debt trap of Neo-colonialism or any other facets which represent the continued domination of Africa and Africans by the West.

In my opinion, Rawlings is so overrated, I guess he has a really good PF team. As individuals like Murtala Mohammed, Chief Obafemi Awolowo, Ken Sawo-Wiwa, Winnie Mandela, Steve Biko, Robert Saboukwe and Amilcar Cabral deserve far greater credit and adulation than JJ Rawlings.
My opinion though grin
Your opinions are reasonable and legible to fact,I have no choice than to fully agree with you

1 Like

Re: Photos Of Late Jerry Rawlings & 12 Things You Don't Know About Him by bencr7: 10:11pm On Nov 12, 2020
seunmohmoh:
Who will Nigeria remember?
buhari na for d worst of all time, hall of fame

1 Like

Re: Photos Of Late Jerry Rawlings & 12 Things You Don't Know About Him by Thinkfree(m): 10:11pm On Nov 12, 2020
seunmohmoh:
wike of Rivers for dealing with all ipob terrorists in ikwere land.

1 Like

Re: Photos Of Late Jerry Rawlings & 12 Things You Don't Know About Him by Thinkfree(m): 10:14pm On Nov 12, 2020
bencr7:
buhari na for d worst of all time, hall of fame
it should be wike for suffocating those ipob criminal.

1 Like

Re: Photos Of Late Jerry Rawlings & 12 Things You Don't Know About Him by Osada2: 10:16pm On Nov 12, 2020
Fuckingmallam45:
A lot of people tend to celebrate Rawlings because the optics are good. Yes, he came to power via a millitary coup detat but left as an elected civilian president. He stressed financially judicious policies, struck down on corruption and overall actually did more to develop Ghana than anyone since Nkrumah.

But these actions do not make one a Revolutionary. A revolutionary challenges and attempts to change a system in place that oppreses or otherwise subjucates. Rawlings never tried to change the system in place, in fact he only wanted to make the preexisting system “better", and like I stated, some of his policies ended up hurting Ghana badly down the line.

At the crux of it, he either lacked the balls to challenge the West (like a certain Nelson Mandela) or simply just had great ideas but not a transcendental leader by visionary proclivities (Haile Selassie etc). Thus there's little to no chance why the West will ever see him as a threat. It's not like Rawlings was actively challenging for African control over commodity prices, the debt trap of Neo-colonialism or any other facets which represent the continued domination of Africa and Africans by the West.

In my opinion, Rawlings is so overrated, I guess he has a really good PF team. As individuals like Murtala Mohammed, Chief Obafemi Awolowo, Ken Sawo-Wiwa, Winnie Mandela, Steve Biko, Robert Saboukwe and Amilcar Cabral deserve far greater credit and adulation than JJ Rawlings.
My opinion though grin

You're right by ending it with your Opinion, you should stick with it, I'm not just getting to know about J.J Rawlings, when I was in Ghana, I heard a lot about him, you forget to mention he killed the corrupt leaders and that was the great he did, as we are waiting for it to happen in Nigeria, the names you mention earlier are great Men but that doesn't reduce him and I'm my own Opinion, he's not overrated

Thank you

9 Likes

Re: Photos Of Late Jerry Rawlings & 12 Things You Don't Know About Him by Greenback: 10:16pm On Nov 12, 2020
Rest in peace,great man
Re: Photos Of Late Jerry Rawlings & 12 Things You Don't Know About Him by Shaev7(m): 10:18pm On Nov 12, 2020
Africa's Che Guevara. He was a born leader.
Even when sentence to death, he came out of it.
Nigeria soldiers are here beating and killing unarmed civilians. See how gallant he was.
He meant well for Ghana and to a point, Ghana is in their transition point.
Nigeria Army, wise up! Stop killing your people and target your queen and king cos your are the pawn!
RIP J.R!
#Revolutionary
Immortal Technique
Toast to the dead.
Re: Photos Of Late Jerry Rawlings & 12 Things You Don't Know About Him by bencr7: 10:19pm On Nov 12, 2020
Thinkfree:
it should be wike for suffocating those ipob criminal.
wetin concern me with ipob with ur mumu dry joke
Re: Photos Of Late Jerry Rawlings & 12 Things You Don't Know About Him by Timsilver(m): 10:23pm On Nov 12, 2020
maximusprime2000:
how come he look more handsome when old than when young

Men age like fine wine especially when money dey plus healthy lifestyle things.

1 Like

Re: Photos Of Late Jerry Rawlings & 12 Things You Don't Know About Him by alizma: 10:24pm On Nov 12, 2020
maximusprime2000:
The power of money
Re: Photos Of Late Jerry Rawlings & 12 Things You Don't Know About Him by Nobody: 10:31pm On Nov 12, 2020
Timsilver:

Men age like fine wine especially when money dey plus healthy lifestyle things.

Rawlings wey smoke cigarette like chimney.
Re: Photos Of Late Jerry Rawlings & 12 Things You Don't Know About Him by sevenhundred(m): 10:33pm On Nov 12, 2020
LikeAking:
Nigeria is cursed. We will never have a great man like this.
mumu!!!!
Re: Photos Of Late Jerry Rawlings & 12 Things You Don't Know About Him by hybridblood07(m): 10:33pm On Nov 12, 2020
We had The Yaradua's but they did not live long.
LikeAking:
Nigeria is cursed. We will never have a great man like this.

1 Like

Re: Photos Of Late Jerry Rawlings & 12 Things You Don't Know About Him by PDSI(m): 10:35pm On Nov 12, 2020
samuel19222:
Rest in Power senior man

Who be Buhari near j Rawlings for military action

Meanwhile this officer in red marking resembles Thomas Sankara or is he the one?

Yeah he his the one another revolutionary.
Re: Photos Of Late Jerry Rawlings & 12 Things You Don't Know About Him by Blessedassuranc(f): 10:37pm On Nov 12, 2020
Fuckingmallam45:

My opinion though grin

Thank God you know it's just your opinion.. All the Nigerians you mentioned still couldn't do anything. No wonder this country is still as useless as it has always being

1 Like

Re: Photos Of Late Jerry Rawlings & 12 Things You Don't Know About Him by OROSUNBOLB(m): 10:40pm On Nov 12, 2020
Rest in peace great son of Africa,with love from Nigeria.

2 Likes

Re: Photos Of Late Jerry Rawlings & 12 Things You Don't Know About Him by PatrickOkunima(m): 10:41pm On Nov 12, 2020
Fuckingmallam45:

My opinion though grin
If not for his actions, Ghana would have been worse than Nigeria corruption-wise. If that is not revolutionary, what is? And the likes of Awo you compared to him, to me it's an insult on his person. They, Awo et al. put us in this predicament we are today as a country.

8 Likes

Re: Photos Of Late Jerry Rawlings & 12 Things You Don't Know About Him by engrchykae(m): 10:42pm On Nov 12, 2020
seunmohmoh:
remember kaduna chukwuma nzeogwu
Re: Photos Of Late Jerry Rawlings & 12 Things You Don't Know About Him by Lawsimon(m): 10:43pm On Nov 12, 2020
samuel19222:
Rest in Power senior man

Meanwhile this officer in red marking resembles Thomas Sankara or is he the one?

Yes, he's Thomas Sankara.

You see these African sons, history will remember them for good.
- Thomas Sankara
- Muammar Gaddafi
- Robert Mugabe
- Kwame Nkrumah
- Murtala Mohammed
- JJ Rawlings
They saw the way for total emancipation of Africa from the claws of Western colonialism but their brothers misinterpreted their visions.

God will continue to give Africa brave sons and daughters

2 Likes

Re: Photos Of Late Jerry Rawlings & 12 Things You Don't Know About Him by Nyanabo(m): 10:44pm On Nov 12, 2020
[quote author=Fuckingmallam45 post=95975769]A lot of people tend to celebrate Rawlings because the optics are good. Yes, he came to power via a millitary coup detat but left as an elected civilian president. He stressed financially judicious policies, struck down on corruption and overall actually did more to develop Ghana than anyone since Nkrumah.

At the crux of it, he either lacked the balls to challenge the West (like a certain Nelson Mandela) or simply just had great ideas but not a transcendental leader by visionary proclivities (Haile Selassie etc).

Its like you only reason well at night ? nice summation though grin grin
Re: Photos Of Late Jerry Rawlings & 12 Things You Don't Know About Him by oluwasegun007(m): 10:46pm On Nov 12, 2020
When he became Ghana president...all Ghanaians went back home.

When some people became president in Nigeria half of the population japa

5 Likes

Re: Photos Of Late Jerry Rawlings & 12 Things You Don't Know About Him by kode12: 10:50pm On Nov 12, 2020
Fuckingmallam45:

My opinion though grin
Rawlings may not have been "all that", but his actions as a military man saved the country from being held hostage by politicians and big men that would manipulate the system at their whims and caprices. Rawlings executing those corrupt elites of his day created a more liberal Ghana. Rawlings was loved by the people because he had the welfare of the common man at heart and up until old age he could walk around Accra freely without fear, how many African leaders can do that? Even local government chairman in the poorest local council in Nigeria will not dare it.

13 Likes

Re: Photos Of Late Jerry Rawlings & 12 Things You Don't Know About Him by Nobody: 10:50pm On Nov 12, 2020
I read his story about how he singlehandedly executed all the corrupt leaders in Ghana
Re: Photos Of Late Jerry Rawlings & 12 Things You Don't Know About Him by Judybash93(m): 10:53pm On Nov 12, 2020
samuel19222:
Rest in Power senior man

You're right. That's Thomas Sankara of Burkina Faso
Re: Photos Of Late Jerry Rawlings & 12 Things You Don't Know About Him by MrGerald(m): 10:54pm On Nov 12, 2020
He was of Portuguese background don't forget that.
Re: Photos Of Late Jerry Rawlings & 12 Things You Don't Know About Him by Mrquote: 10:56pm On Nov 12, 2020
Fuckingmallam45:

My opinion though grin
Thank God you said your opinion.
Your opinion it's. Go and read how bad Ghana had it during the 90s and you will know that even as a military coup leader he had an ideology to get Ghana on track. Yes those name you mentioned deserve more recognition than they are given if only they looked beyond their kins.

4 Likes

Re: Photos Of Late Jerry Rawlings & 12 Things You Don't Know About Him by DorianD(m): 10:58pm On Nov 12, 2020
maximusprime2000:
He stopped smoking
Re: Photos Of Late Jerry Rawlings & 12 Things You Don't Know About Him by nthony10: 11:00pm On Nov 12, 2020
Fuckingmallam45:

My opinion though grin

While I was going through the thread, The question of why he wasnt at loggerheads with the west came to my mind until I saw your post, however I disagree with the part that he was overated, for what it's worth, he was a man that had massive courage to challenge the powers that be and even execute them not minding the backlash from other governments, to add to it he didn't let the absolute power get to his head, by relenquishing power when he could hold on to power which is the mistake most military regimes/ dictators make. In my opinion I feel he was able to strengthen the institutions in Ghana that makes them a sane place to live. He definitely layed the ground work for Ghana of today.

3 Likes

Re: Photos Of Late Jerry Rawlings & 12 Things You Don't Know About Him by NovusHomo(m): 11:00pm On Nov 12, 2020
raymondhill:
It is said that pictures speak louder than words. Below are some pictures of African,s most respected leaders.

You forgot to add that he took $6 million bribe from Sanni Abacha.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Prostitute Who Drugged Her Client & Stole His Goods Caught & Tied With Rope(pics / Trump Asks Governors To Reopen Churches & Mosques (Declares Them Essential) / Lady Covers Her Nude Body With Paint To Mark Ghana's 61st Independence

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.