Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,849 members, 7,810,274 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 04:21 AM

Speaking A White Lie In An Attempt To Reconcile Between People - Islam for Muslims - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Islam for Muslims / Speaking A White Lie In An Attempt To Reconcile Between People (7425 Views)

Truth Vs. Lie / Speaking About Allah Without Knowledge / Muslim Man Pleads With Arewa Leaders To Start Speaking Against Child Marriages (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Speaking A White Lie In An Attempt To Reconcile Between People by Lukgaf(m): 12:43am On Nov 13, 2020
"Rasulullah (sallallahu ‘alayhi wasallam) has said: ‘The one who attempts to reconcile between people and speaks good (in order to avert dispute), or conveys good is not a liar.’

Ibn Shihab (rahimahullah) said: “I did not hear that concession/exemption was granted in any lies that the people speak except in three cases: [in] war, reconciling between people, and the dialogue of a husband with his wife, and a wife with her husband [i.e vice versa].

(Sahih Muslim, Hadith: 2605)"

What is the explanation of the Hadiths?

Imam Nawawi (rahimahullah) has mentioned this Hadith to mean that a person who lies or evades the complete truth [i.e speaks contrary to reality] in order to reconcile between others is not looked down upon, rather such actions are commendable.

Qadhi ‘Iyadh (rahimahullah) has mentioned that it is unanimously agreed upon that a person can “lie” in the three aforementioned situations. He has further added that the ‘Ulama have differed with regards to the purport of this “lying”; was it meant to be understood literally or metaphorically?

One group of ‘Ulama consisting of the likes of ‘Allamah Khattabi and others (rahimahumullah) were of the opinion that it could be understood literally. They were of the opinion that it would be permissible for a person to blatantly lie so long as he was solely doing it for a justifiable cause [such as: reconciling between two people, deceiving the enemy in war, etc.].

On the other hand, a group of ‘Ulama containing the likes of ‘Allamahs Tabari, Al-Muhallab, Al-Asili, and others (rahimahumullah) were of the opinion that this “lying” should be understood metaphorically. They were of the opinion that one should generally refrain from lying to the best of his/her ability and if the need ever arose, to tactically present their words in such a way that would save them from literally lying but still construe the meaning, taking care of their needs. This could refer to what some understand today as a white lie, i.e. information one shares that only includes things he wants to say and excludes things that he doesn’t want to say. Therefore, technically while he hasn’t spoken any lies, he also hasn’t told the whole truth. [For example, when at war, instead of taking the name of the enemy’s leader and blatantly lying about killing him, one could merely say, we took care of “your” leader – referring to one of their previously deceased/defeated leaders.]

Nevertheless, both groups were of the opinion that it is permissible [and even encouraged at times] to lie at the time of dire need. An example of this would be when a tyrant or oppressor seeks to murder a man that is seeking refuge in one’s house. In such a case, both groups are of the opinion that it would be permissible [and possibly even encouraged] to blatantly and deliberately lie.

(Ikmalul Mu’lim, Hadith: 2605, Al-Minhaj, Hadith: 6576 – 6578, and Fathul Bari, Hadith: 2692; Also see: Mirqat, Hadith: 4825, and Faydhul Qadir, Hadith: 7581)

Regarding the three scenarios Ibn Shihab Az-Zuhri (rahimahullah) has mentioned, ‘Allamah Munawi (rahimahullah) has further elaborated as follows:

- War – An example where كذب (lying) could be applied here would be: in displaying a façade of strength, speaking about things that would spur on and encourage one’s comrades, and also in plotting against/tricking the enemy.

- Reconciling between others – an example where كذب could be applied here would be in conveying good words or statements on behalf of both parties to one another despite not having actually heard such statements or not having been instructed to do so.

- Between spouses – كذب could be applied here when one does or says things for his/her spouse to keep them happy and maintain a healthy relationship.

Ibn Hajar (rahimahullah) has added that the ‘Ulama have unanimously agreed that when this concept is applied among spouses, it must never be used to omit a right nor take something unrightfully.

(Fathul Bari, Hadith: 2692, and Faydhul Qadir, Hadith: 7581)

https://jamiat.org.za/speaking-a-white-lie-in-an-attempt-to-reconcile-between-people/

6 Likes

Re: Speaking A White Lie In An Attempt To Reconcile Between People by Kherdija(f): 7:53am On Nov 13, 2020
Jazakallahu khairan

2 Likes

Re: Speaking A White Lie In An Attempt To Reconcile Between People by Rashduct4luv(m): 9:10am On Nov 13, 2020
Let's all stop peddling lies. Fake news almost burnt Lagos and some other parts of Nigeria. A lie is a lie except what has been exempted above. May Allah forgive us and guide us in the straight way till the end.

6 Likes

Re: Speaking A White Lie In An Attempt To Reconcile Between People by aminusodiq(m): 10:02am On Nov 13, 2020
Pls always include conclusion in your writeups
Re: Speaking A White Lie In An Attempt To Reconcile Between People by nairalander095(f): 10:07am On Nov 13, 2020
h
Re: Speaking A White Lie In An Attempt To Reconcile Between People by Biodun556(m): 10:08am On Nov 13, 2020
JazakumuLahu khairan

Many people have destroyed families, relationships because of lack of knowledge on how to present issues and arrogance.

It is better to keep quiet rather than causing harvoc if you cannot be diplomatic.

5 Likes

Re: Speaking A White Lie In An Attempt To Reconcile Between People by true2god: 10:13am On Nov 13, 2020
A lie is a lie even if it has a good intention. Say no to Islamic religious lies.

3 Likes

Re: Speaking A White Lie In An Attempt To Reconcile Between People by Kokaine(m): 10:14am On Nov 13, 2020
If someone had told me a food lie, maybe it would have saved the relationship with my brother. The truth I heard really pained me.
Re: Speaking A White Lie In An Attempt To Reconcile Between People by AkintundeOGY(m): 10:24am On Nov 13, 2020
being a Muslim is a great privilege, Alamdulillahi

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Speaking A White Lie In An Attempt To Reconcile Between People by Coochyking: 10:28am On Nov 13, 2020
there is nothing like white lie stupid mofos will never learn, how many times have buhari and other top Muslims politicians have lied to their people but they are still healthy and lining fine, because them no the truth say islam na scam na una wey just de de deceive una self de Jam head for ground who knows wether them Muslims politicians sef no de jam head for ground except for TV just to deceive the guilible grin grin

4 Likes

Re: Speaking A White Lie In An Attempt To Reconcile Between People by ThatFairGuy: 10:35am On Nov 13, 2020
Barka00:
Islam is a religion of lies, Mohammed has succeeded in brainwashing you folks.
We can now categorically say YOU CAN'T READ AND ASSIMILATE.
Poor you
Re: Speaking A White Lie In An Attempt To Reconcile Between People by Ola260: 10:38am On Nov 13, 2020
ABCthingx:
Mind you, half truth is not equal to white lies.
White lie is saying some one is pretty while he's damn fvcking ugly just to please or appeal his ego.

Meanwhile....

Mods should stop imposing shits on me it's getting too annoying!

"I don't believe that there no god/God but Allah."

"I don't believe that Muhammad is God's Holy Prophet."

"I don't believe that Islam is the Only True Religion."

"l don't ā ʾilāha ʾillā-llāh, or muhammadun rasūlu-llāh."

I dun want, is it by force? angry
The u don't have to come comment
Re: Speaking A White Lie In An Attempt To Reconcile Between People by lordmans(m): 10:51am On Nov 13, 2020
Barka00:
Islam is a religion of lies, Mohammed has succeeded in brainwashing you folks.

Good you've gotten enough energy and drive in you. But it's better you redirect such such burst of energies towards something worthy and meaningful in your life. You focusing on hating is bad for the good health of your soul.

If you're a true christians hear what your holy Bible tells you Luke 6:27-32 “But I say to you who are listening, love your enemies. Do good to those who hate you, bless those who curse you, pray for those who are cruel to you. If anyone slaps you on one cheek, offer him the other cheek, too. If someone takes your coat, do not stop him from taking your shirt. Give to everyone who asks you, and when someone takes something that is yours, don’t ask for it back. Do to others what you would want them to do to you . If you love only the people who love you, what praise should you get? Even sinners love the people who love them.

That's that and for the christians saying the kalimat shahada just so they can come to muslim threads to spite Islam and muslims if only they know the implications on their souls would have stopped. You just take a vow or oath with what you don't believe in?

Hear the words of the Bible
If a man vow a vow unto the LORD, or swear an oath to bind his soul with a bond; he shall not break his word, he shall do according to all that proceedeth out of his mouth.
Numbers 30:2

Would it not be wise to leave the muslims to their thing?

Have a blessed day.

2 Likes

Re: Speaking A White Lie In An Attempt To Reconcile Between People by Ola260: 10:56am On Nov 13, 2020
lordmans:

Good you've gotten enough energy and drive in you. But it's better you redirect such such burst of energies towards something worthy and meaningful in your life. You focusing on hating is bad for the good health of your soul.

If you're a true christians hear what your holy Bible tells you Luke 6:27-32 “But I say to you who are listening, love your enemies. Do good to those who hate you, bless those who curse you, pray for those who are cruel to you. If anyone slaps you on one cheek, offer him the other cheek, too. If someone takes your coat, do not stop him from taking your shirt. Give to everyone who asks you, and when someone takes something that is yours, don’t ask for it back. Do to others what you would want them to do to you . If you love only the people who love you, what praise should you get? Even sinners love the people who love them.

That's that and for the christians saying the kalimat shahada just so they can come to muslim threads to spite Islam and muslims if only they know the implications on their souls would have stopped. You just take a vow or oath with what you don't believe in?

If a man vow a vow unto the LORD, or swear an oath to bind his soul with a bond; he shall not break his word, he shall do according to all that proceedeth out of his mouth.

Have a blessed day.
Jazaka Allahu khairan
Re: Speaking A White Lie In An Attempt To Reconcile Between People by ABCthingx: 11:49am On Nov 13, 2020
Ola260:

The u don't have to come comment

Are you alright? How can you tell me not to comment?
Do you know how much I buy data? Oponu.
Re: Speaking A White Lie In An Attempt To Reconcile Between People by Nobody: 12:03pm On Nov 13, 2020
I pity muslims on the last day.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Speaking A White Lie In An Attempt To Reconcile Between People by Kingzeez10: 12:06pm On Nov 13, 2020
ABCthingx:

Are you alright? How can you tell me not to comment?
Do you know how much I buy data? Oponu.
If the sole reason you used your data for is to be commenting on a topic that is less concerned to you then you're the big oponu.

1 Like

Re: Speaking A White Lie In An Attempt To Reconcile Between People by Lillycorn: 12:17pm On Nov 13, 2020
There`s a lot to think about.
Re: Speaking A White Lie In An Attempt To Reconcile Between People by ABCthingx: 12:52pm On Nov 13, 2020
Kingzeez10:

If the sole reason you used your data for is to be commenting on a topic that is less concerned to you then you're the big oponu.
Thank God Since it's not the sole reason and that means you still maintain the oponu status.

I will consider the fact that you're still an underaged fanatic and print the plastic I.D card for you at an affordable rate that's if you need it 'cause people like you needs no label.
Re: Speaking A White Lie In An Attempt To Reconcile Between People by Amspecial: 12:53pm On Nov 13, 2020
Re: Speaking A White Lie In An Attempt To Reconcile Between People by Amspecial: 12:58pm On Nov 13, 2020
Nairaland vow doesn't mean shiit.
lordmans:

Have a blessed day.
Re: Speaking A White Lie In An Attempt To Reconcile Between People by advocatejare(m): 1:50pm On Nov 13, 2020
Lies are permissible in Islam whether white or black lies.

For example when Muhammad was insulted and he was hurt, Muhammad had to hired an assassin from among his followers to go and kill the man that hurt him, he encouraged the assassin to lie in order to get closer to the man Muhammad was angry with:

The Prophet said, "Who is ready to kill Ka'b ibn al-Ashraf who has really hurt Allah and His Apostle?" Muhammad bin Maslama said, "O Allah's Apostle! Do you like me to kill him?" He replied in the affirmative. So, Muhammad bin Maslama went to him (i.e. Ka'b) and said, "This person (i.e. the Prophet) has put us to task and asked us for charity." Ka'b replied, "By Allah, you will get tired of him." Muhammad said to him, "We have followed him, so we dislike to leave him till we see the end of his affair." Muhammad bin Maslama went on talking to him in this way till he got the chance to kill him. Narrated Jabir bin 'Abdullah
— Sahih al-Bukhari, 4:52:270

Allah's Apostle said, "Who is willing to kill Ka'b bin Al-Ashraf who has hurt Allah and His Apostle?" Thereupon Muhammad bin Maslama got up saying, "O Allah's Apostle! Would you like that I kill him?" The Prophet said, "Yes," Muhammad bin Maslama said, "Then allow me to say a (false) thing (i.e. to deceive Kab). "The Prophet said, "You may say it." Then Muhammad bin Maslama went to Kab and said, "That man (i.e. Muhammad demands Sadaqa (i.e. Zakat) from us, and he has troubled us, and I have come to borrow something from you." On that, Kab said, "By Allah, you will get tired of him!......

.....When Muhammad got a strong hold of him, he said (to his companions), "Get at him!" So they killed him and went to the Prophet and informed him. (Abu Rafi) was killed after Ka'b bin Al-Ashraf."
-Sahih Bukhari 5:59:369

Narrated By Al-Bara bin Azib
Allah's Apostle sent a group of persons to Abu Rafi. Abdullah bin Atik entered his house at night, while he was sleeping, and killed him.
-Sahih al-Bukhari 5:59:370

Also,

Allah says a muslim can swear a false oath to people as their oaths don't hold water, if a Muslim swear to you and you believe it, you'll have yourself to be blamed because Allah has said that a Muslim can break his oath with you by doing any of this:

1. feed ten needy people or

2. clothe them or

3. free a slave or

if you cant afford any of the above, simply

4. fast for 3 days (the same Islamic fasting of eating early in the morning)

So if a Muslim tells you that "please lend me 1million naira I swear by Allah that I will pay back by month end" and you believe him, you've been defrauded because Allah had taught him how to break his oath by doing any of the 4 above

"Allah will not impose blame upon you for what is meaningless in your oaths, but He will impose blame upon you for [breaking] what you intended of oaths.
So its expiation is the feeding of ten needy people from the average of that which you feed your [own] families or clothing them or the freeing of a slave. But whoever cannot find [or afford it] - then a fast of three days [is required]. That is the expiation for oaths when you have sworn. But guard your oaths. Thus does Allah make clear to you His verses that you may be grateful."
(QS. Al-Maaida 5: Verse 89)

3 Likes

Re: Speaking A White Lie In An Attempt To Reconcile Between People by Adlac(m): 3:07pm On Nov 13, 2020
DamZik:
I pity muslims on the last day.

Smiles, Why not have same pity for end-time crusade

How many times you have disobey your god?

Your rant won't move fly! Keep coughing your hatred towards Muslims I hold my breath.
Re: Speaking A White Lie In An Attempt To Reconcile Between People by Risingblue008(m): 6:46pm On Nov 13, 2020
Bullshit
Re: Speaking A White Lie In An Attempt To Reconcile Between People by Nobody: 8:22pm On Nov 13, 2020
[s]
Adlac:

Smiles, Why not have same pity for end-time crusade

How many times you have disobey your god?

Your rant won't move fly! Keep coughing your hatred towards Muslims I hold my breath.
[/s]To be sincere, I pity you.
Re: Speaking A White Lie In An Attempt To Reconcile Between People by mhmsadyq(m): 5:24pm On Nov 14, 2020
advocatejare:
Lies are permissible in Islam whether white or black lies.

For example when Muhammad was insulted and he was hurt, Muhammad had to hired an assassin from among his followers to go and kill the man that hurt him, he encouraged the assassin to lie in order to get closer to the man Muhammad was angry with:

The Prophet said, "Who is ready to kill Ka'b ibn al-Ashraf who has really hurt Allah and His Apostle?" Muhammad bin Maslama said, "O Allah's Apostle! Do you like me to kill him?" He replied in the affirmative. So, Muhammad bin Maslama went to him (i.e. Ka'b) and said, "This person (i.e. the Prophet) has put us to task and asked us for charity." Ka'b replied, "By Allah, you will get tired of him." Muhammad said to him, "We have followed him, so we dislike to leave him till we see the end of his affair." Muhammad bin Maslama went on talking to him in this way till he got the chance to kill him. Narrated Jabir bin 'Abdullah
— Sahih al-Bukhari, 4:52:270

Allah's Apostle said, "Who is willing to kill Ka'b bin Al-Ashraf who has hurt Allah and His Apostle?" Thereupon Muhammad bin Maslama got up saying, "O Allah's Apostle! Would you like that I kill him?" The Prophet said, "Yes," Muhammad bin Maslama said, "Then allow me to say a (false) thing (i.e. to deceive Kab). "The Prophet said, "You may say it." Then Muhammad bin Maslama went to Kab and said, "That man (i.e. Muhammad demands Sadaqa (i.e. Zakat) from us, and he has troubled us, and I have come to borrow something from you." On that, Kab said, "By Allah, you will get tired of him!......

.....When Muhammad got a strong hold of him, he said (to his companions), "Get at him!" So they killed him and went to the Prophet and informed him. (Abu Rafi) was killed after Ka'b bin Al-Ashraf."
-Sahih Bukhari 5:59:369

Narrated By Al-Bara bin Azib
Allah's Apostle sent a group of persons to Abu Rafi. Abdullah bin Atik entered his house at night, while he was sleeping, and killed him.
-Sahih al-Bukhari 5:59:370

Also,

Allah says a muslim can swear a false oath to people as their oaths don't hold water, if a Muslim swear to you and you believe it, you'll have yourself to be blamed because Allah has said that a Muslim can break his oath with you by doing any of this:

1. feed ten needy people or

2. clothe them or

3. free a slave or

if you cant afford any of the above, simply

4. fast for 3 days (the same Islamic fasting of eating early in the morning)

So if a Muslim tells you that "please lend me 1million naira I swear by Allah that I will pay back by month end" and you believe him, you've been defrauded because Allah had taught him how to break his oath by doing any of the 4 above

"Allah will not impose blame upon you for what is meaningless in your oaths, but He will impose blame upon you for [breaking] what you intended of oaths.
So its expiation is the feeding of ten needy people from the average of that which you feed your [own] families or clothing them or the freeing of a slave. But whoever cannot find [or afford it] - then a fast of three days [is required]. That is the expiation for oaths when you have sworn. But guard your oaths. Thus does Allah make clear to you His verses that you may be grateful."
(QS. Al-Maaida 5: Verse 89)

But you are also a beneficiary of lies, too!

You lie to be here and comment about Islam and Muslims.

Who do you please with the lie and what reward do you expect from the lie?

(1) (2) (Reply)

Be The Best To Your Parents / Gems Of The Quran / How Many Times Do I Raise My Hands On Salat?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.