Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,671 members, 7,816,757 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 04:34 PM

Obasanjo: How Rawlings Intervened When Abacha Wanted To Destroy My Organisation - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Obasanjo: How Rawlings Intervened When Abacha Wanted To Destroy My Organisation (22776 Views)

Woman Narrates How Peter Obi Intervened When She Was About To Miss Her Flight / Obasanjo: How I Survived Dimka Coup. Olu Bajowa Saved Me / Ngige: Monarch Armed With Pistol Intervened When I Was Kidnapped As A Governor (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Obasanjo: How Rawlings Intervened When Abacha Wanted To Destroy My Organisation by boman2014: 6:28am On Nov 13, 2020
Ex-President Olusegun Obasanjo says he will remain indebted to Jerry Rawlings, former Ghanaian president who passed away on Thursday.

In a condolence letter to the people of Ghana, Obasanjo described Rawlings as a “reliable friend, ally and confidant” whom he said played a key role in achieving the objectives of the Africa Leadership Forum, (ALF), a non-governmental organization he (Obasanjo) founded in 1988 to develop leadership capacities in Africa.

Obasanjo said Rawlings supported and accommodated his staff in relocating the organisation to Ghana at a time when Sanni Abacha, former military head of state, wanted to have them destroyed after he (Obasanjo) was arrested and imprisoned on a trumped-up charge of coup plotting in 1995.

“No doubt, his generous assistance to ALF and its staff makes me forever indebted to him. I can proudly say he was a true friend and brother. His works, values, and principles have had and will continue to have a great influence and impact in Africa and beyond,” he said.

“In mourning a man, who dedicated his life to the growth and development of Ghana, his country, in particular, and Africa as a whole. Like many of his contemporaries too, former President Rawlings provided the much-needed leadership and direction which impacted positively on the social stability and democratic progress recorded thus far in Ghana. A quintessential patriot and courageous leader, he will be remembered for his critical role in the evolvement of modern democratic Ghana.”

Obasanjo added that Rawlings was “passionate about peace, security and leadership issues in Africa.”

The ex-Ghanaian president died at Korle-Bu Teaching Hospital in Accra, capital of Ghana, after a brief illness on Thursday morning.

Rawlings, a former flight lieutenant of the Ghanaian Air Force, resigned from the military and became the first president of the Fourth Republic in 1992`.

After serving two terms in office, he endorsed his vice-president John Atta Mills as a presidential candidate in 2000.

https://thecable.ng/obasanjo-how-rawlings-intervened-when-abacha-wanted-to-destroy-my-organisation

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Obasanjo: How Rawlings Intervened When Abacha Wanted To Destroy My Organisation by Eriokanmi: 6:37am On Nov 13, 2020
Ok. All I can say is, we need someone like rawlings at this critical time. The needful he did in Ghana which sent the corrupt ones in that country packing was timely.

36 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Obasanjo: How Rawlings Intervened When Abacha Wanted To Destroy My Organisation by zeusdgrt(m): 6:39am On Nov 13, 2020
And so?
Re: Obasanjo: How Rawlings Intervened When Abacha Wanted To Destroy My Organisation by chatinent: 6:46am On Nov 13, 2020
Bird of an evil feather.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Obasanjo: How Rawlings Intervened When Abacha Wanted To Destroy My Organisation by bioemmy: 6:47am On Nov 13, 2020
From the amount of goodwill messages pouring in for this man, we can conclude he was a good man. History also justify such claim.

What will be said of you OBJ?
Can an overwhelmingly number of Nigerians describe you with good words?
Time will tell

17 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Obasanjo: How Rawlings Intervened When Abacha Wanted To Destroy My Organisation by Antoeni(m): 6:47am On Nov 13, 2020
I Wish Abacha' Did

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Obasanjo: How Rawlings Intervened When Abacha Wanted To Destroy My Organisation by Sundaypaul12345: 8:42am On Nov 13, 2020
Dem don start, after d man don die finish abi

14 Likes

Re: Obasanjo: How Rawlings Intervened When Abacha Wanted To Destroy My Organisation by Nawa4nl: 8:43am On Nov 13, 2020
northerners have a taste for destruction & bloodshed

As they say

John 1:46
Can there any good thing come out of Nazareth the North?

bioemmy:
From the amount of goodwill messages pouring in for this man, we can conclude he was a good man. History also justify such claim.

What will be said of you OBJ?
Can an overwhelmingly number of Nigerians describe you with good words?
Time will tell

If OBJ is bad , how will you describe Buhari?

26 Likes 1 Share

Re: Obasanjo: How Rawlings Intervened When Abacha Wanted To Destroy My Organisation by ipobarecriminals: 8:43am On Nov 13, 2020
cool
Re: Obasanjo: How Rawlings Intervened When Abacha Wanted To Destroy My Organisation by emmabest2000(m): 8:44am On Nov 13, 2020
How did you intervened when they planned and killed your brother MKO

15 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Obasanjo: How Rawlings Intervened When Abacha Wanted To Destroy My Organisation by Englov(m): 8:45am On Nov 13, 2020
Ok

Meanwhile, Check my signature
Re: Obasanjo: How Rawlings Intervened When Abacha Wanted To Destroy My Organisation by Amoto05(m): 8:45am On Nov 13, 2020
That's good
Re: Obasanjo: How Rawlings Intervened When Abacha Wanted To Destroy My Organisation by Nobody: 8:45am On Nov 13, 2020
smiley What a Legend he was
May God grant his soul eternal rest
Re: Obasanjo: How Rawlings Intervened When Abacha Wanted To Destroy My Organisation by alphaconde(m): 8:45am On Nov 13, 2020
hope when u Obasanjo dies someone can say something good about u

2 Likes

Re: Obasanjo: How Rawlings Intervened When Abacha Wanted To Destroy My Organisation by Sarmiz24(m): 8:45am On Nov 13, 2020
Goodwill is a thing not everyone has, RIP a great Hero

1 Like

Re: Obasanjo: How Rawlings Intervened When Abacha Wanted To Destroy My Organisation by Danny50: 8:45am On Nov 13, 2020
As calabar boy wey i be... But how come i dont know his good deeds because i only know him as an evil man.

1 Like

Re: Obasanjo: How Rawlings Intervened When Abacha Wanted To Destroy My Organisation by hotplate: 8:45am On Nov 13, 2020
so far is like Abacha is the only one who has died an not one single good thing has been said about him ever since

3 Likes

Re: Obasanjo: How Rawlings Intervened When Abacha Wanted To Destroy My Organisation by bigdammyj: 8:46am On Nov 13, 2020
Noted
Re: Obasanjo: How Rawlings Intervened When Abacha Wanted To Destroy My Organisation by slawormiir: 8:46am On Nov 13, 2020
Damnnn niggarrrr..
This is to say he was a real niggarrrr
Re: Obasanjo: How Rawlings Intervened When Abacha Wanted To Destroy My Organisation by Praktikals(m): 8:47am On Nov 13, 2020
... and you had to wait for him to die before sharing the story undecided

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Obasanjo: How Rawlings Intervened When Abacha Wanted To Destroy My Organisation by Nobody: 8:47am On Nov 13, 2020
Eriokanmi:
Ok. All I can say is, we need someone like rawlings at this critical time. The needful he did in Ghana which sent the corrupt ones in that country packing was timely.

I agree with you, my brother.. Thank God for answering our prayers.. He's given us a more incorruptible anti-corruption fighter in the person of President Mohammadu Buhari..

We should support him, the way Ghanaians supported Rawlings.. "He's my brother", "he's witch-hunting our son", "stop prosecuting our thieves" and other unpatriotic tribalistic defences will only frustrate this fight...

So, my beloved brother, let us join hands with President Mohammadu Buhari, irrespective of our tribes and religions.. That's the only way corruption can be eradicated completely from Nigeria.

God bless you.
God bless me.
God bless all Nigerians.
God bless the Federal Republic of Nigeria.

4 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Obasanjo: How Rawlings Intervened When Abacha Wanted To Destroy My Organisation by Sarmiz24(m): 8:47am On Nov 13, 2020
alphaconde:
hope when u Obasanjo dies someone can say something good about u
Lol how a man lay his bed, na so him go lay untop... Obasanjo is an evil God forsaken mad man, Nija go happy wen him die
Re: Obasanjo: How Rawlings Intervened When Abacha Wanted To Destroy My Organisation by Nobody: 8:47am On Nov 13, 2020
I see
Re: Obasanjo: How Rawlings Intervened When Abacha Wanted To Destroy My Organisation by Sheriman(m): 8:47am On Nov 13, 2020
Who else can do what Jerry Rawlings did to ex corrupt Ghanaian Politicians of his time??

2 Likes

Re: Obasanjo: How Rawlings Intervened When Abacha Wanted To Destroy My Organisation by Fuckingmallam45(m): 8:48am On Nov 13, 2020
Why all these hype about Rawlings for Christ sake?
He never threatened the interests of the West in Ghana particularly, and in Africa generally. In otherwords- not an actual revolutionary as he often portrayed himself to be.

Unlike his close pal Thomas Sankara in Burkina Faso who aggressively minimized the economic influence of the West in Burkina Faso, chiefly resisting post colonial debts from Neo-colonist France and disengaging with the IMF and World Bank.

Rawlings not only continued to deal with the IMF and World Bank, he borrowed so much money ( which he, to his credit, actually implemented properly- building schools, hospitals etc…) that the World Bank named him “their Star Pupil" as his effective use of borrowed sums actually led to the creation of the SAPs (Structured Adjusted Programs) which basically gave the yardstick to these Bretton Woods parasites to directly lead what the funds borrowed could be used for, even if it's not to the best interests of the borrower. By the time Rawlings “figured” out the game, it was too late. His policy of incessant borrowing of money had become so ingrained in Ghana today that successive governments can't govern without borrowing. Even the presidential villa was built on money borrowed from the Indian government.
For kids that will quote me, please remember that, this is my opinion and I’m entitled to it. Thank you.

9 Likes

Re: Obasanjo: How Rawlings Intervened When Abacha Wanted To Destroy My Organisation by chamboy(m): 8:48am On Nov 13, 2020
Obj is a stone-cold sell out
Re: Obasanjo: How Rawlings Intervened When Abacha Wanted To Destroy My Organisation by Quality20(m): 8:48am On Nov 13, 2020
How I wish Obj had taken a leaf from him and killed all de corrupt ex leaders
Re: Obasanjo: How Rawlings Intervened When Abacha Wanted To Destroy My Organisation by alphaconde(m): 8:48am On Nov 13, 2020
Sarmiz24:

Lol how a man lay his bed, na so him go lay untop... Obasanjo is an evil God forsaken mad man, Nija go happy wen him die

Buhari also comes to mind

1 Like

Re: Obasanjo: How Rawlings Intervened When Abacha Wanted To Destroy My Organisation by MondayOsunbor(m): 8:48am On Nov 13, 2020
zeusdgrt:
And so?

The ex-Ghanaian president died at Korle-Bu Teaching Hospital in Accra, capital of Ghana, after a brief illness on Thursday morning

SO THEM GET BETTER HOSPITAL IN GHANA . OUR NIGERIAN LEADERS NA ABOARD THEM DEY DIE!

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Obasanjo: How Rawlings Intervened When Abacha Wanted To Destroy My Organisation by 9jayes: 8:49am On Nov 13, 2020
Which yeye organisation
Re: Obasanjo: How Rawlings Intervened When Abacha Wanted To Destroy My Organisation by chamboy(m): 8:49am On Nov 13, 2020
Quality20:
How I wish Obj had taken a leaf from him and kill all de corrupt ex leaders
Buhari tried but we stood against it. Now, who is fooling who.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

National Assembly Commission Bypasses Akubueze, Appoints Tambuwal Acting Clerk / New Notes: Please Exercise Further Patience - Buhari To Nigerians / Kwankwaso And I Sold Gov’t Houses, Ganduje Replies Abba Gida-gida

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.