Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,608 members, 7,809,232 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 06:09 AM

Obasanjo: How I Survived Dimka Coup. Olu Bajowa Saved Me - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Obasanjo: How I Survived Dimka Coup. Olu Bajowa Saved Me (40699 Views)

Plateau Group Accuses Tallen, Dimka, Others Of Being PDP Mole In APC / How Sex Workers Ruined Dimka’s 1976 Coup Plan / Obasanjo: How Rawlings Intervened When Abacha Wanted To Destroy My Organisation (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Obasanjo: How I Survived Dimka Coup. Olu Bajowa Saved Me by Weneda(m): 10:53pm On Dec 27, 2020
A former Nigerian President, Chief Olusegun Obasanjo, on Sunday, narrated how he survived the February 1976 military coup d’etat, involving Lieutenant Colonel Buka Dimka.

Obasanjo said it was General Olu Bajowa (retd.) that indirectly saved him from being killed in the coup.

The former Head of State gave the revelation at the celebration of the 80th birthday of General Bajowa held in Igbotako, Okitipupa Local Government Area of Ondo State.

He described Bajowa, a former Commandant, Command and Staff College, Jaji, as a respectful and cultured man.

During the ceremony, the former President told the audience a story of how he was indirectly saved from being killed during the coup.

Obasanjo said, “I want to say something about Olu – either he knew it or he didn’t know. When Dimka coup came, if Olu had not been what he is, I would have gone with the coup.

“Olu is very respectful. He is very conscious of our culture. He had a child, a boy, and wanted to name the child after me. He had to call me early in the morning, that morning Dimka struck.

“And because Olu said he was coming, I had to wait a little bit. I waited beyond the time I would have gone out. Olu then came, he made the request and I granted the request.

“So, I was a little bit late in going on the route that I normally took to work. And Reinumuje went ahead of me and they thought it was me and they shot his car. They shot his car, Murtala was shot. Indirectly, that is how Olu Bajowa saved my life,”

Describing Bajowa as a performing soldier, Obasanjo revealed that Bajowa performed very well when he (Obasanjo) drafted him to go and lead 11 Battalion during the nation’s civil war.

He emphasised that any job that Bajowa could not do, no one else could do it.

Earlier, the state governor, Mr Rotimi Akeredolu, had called on owners of local radio stations in the state to dwell more in educating and disseminating information in local languages.

He made the call while inaugurating a new radio station in commemoration of the 80th birthday of General Bajowa (retd.) at Okitipupa. The station is founded by Bajowa.

The governor commended General Bajowa for the role he played towards the development of the Southern Senatorial District of the state.

In his address, Bajowa explained that the aim of establishing the radio station was “to complement the effort of government in reviving and prompting Ikale, Ilaje, Ijaw-Apoi and Ijaw-Arogbo culture, tradition, custom and by extension the Yoruba heritage, which are now becoming abandoned or extinct.

“We also identify ourselves with the government effort to make information an important tool for social development and dissemination of the benefits of democracy at the grassroots level.”

https://punchng.com/how-i-survived-dimka-coup-obasanjo/

23 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Obasanjo: How I Survived Dimka Coup. Olu Bajowa Saved Me by updatechange(m): 10:56pm On Dec 27, 2020
Wow, first nairaland FTC since 07...

Next year will be very special grin

17 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Obasanjo: How I Survived Dimka Coup. Olu Bajowa Saved Me by LogoDesigner01: 10:57pm On Dec 27, 2020
Op source please
Re: Obasanjo: How I Survived Dimka Coup. Olu Bajowa Saved Me by Weneda(m): 11:01pm On Dec 27, 2020

4 Likes

Re: Obasanjo: How I Survived Dimka Coup. Olu Bajowa Saved Me by Weneda(m): 11:02pm On Dec 27, 2020

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Obasanjo: How I Survived Dimka Coup. Olu Bajowa Saved Me by Fvckhypocrite(f): 11:02pm On Dec 27, 2020
obasanjo irumole ton je fried-rice

Naso god take save ur ass chaii

I dey always tell people everything happen for a reason

wetin go be go be
E get reason wey u never blow

94 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Obasanjo: How I Survived Dimka Coup. Olu Bajowa Saved Me by BeeBeeOoh(m): 11:04pm On Dec 27, 2020
Let me sleep and wake up first
Re: Obasanjo: How I Survived Dimka Coup. Olu Bajowa Saved Me by dawnomike(m): 11:07pm On Dec 27, 2020
An era i wish never happened in Nigeria

1 Like

Re: Obasanjo: How I Survived Dimka Coup. Olu Bajowa Saved Me by Nobody: 11:52pm On Dec 27, 2020
hmm that moment sha
e be tins
Re: Obasanjo: How I Survived Dimka Coup. Olu Bajowa Saved Me by ggood: 11:53pm On Dec 27, 2020
you never see anything
Re: Obasanjo: How I Survived Dimka Coup. Olu Bajowa Saved Me by Karemarealty288(m): 11:59pm On Dec 27, 2020
Obj and story telling ....

8 Likes

Re: Obasanjo: How I Survived Dimka Coup. Olu Bajowa Saved Me by kettykin: 12:02am On Dec 28, 2020
As usual, very gullible Nigerians will believe this.
How can a phone call on 13th Friday cause a deputy head of state to go late to work over child naming. What do these take the rest of Nigerians for

26 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Obasanjo: How I Survived Dimka Coup. Olu Bajowa Saved Me by Dominion202: 12:04am On Dec 28, 2020
Na so u escape that of Abacha
We thank God for ur life baba Iyabo

5 Likes

Re: Obasanjo: How I Survived Dimka Coup. Olu Bajowa Saved Me by thatigboman: 12:05am On Dec 28, 2020
But in that true movie 76 starring Ramsey Noah, they said Obasanjo was part of the coup

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Obasanjo: How I Survived Dimka Coup. Olu Bajowa Saved Me by thatigboman: 12:06am On Dec 28, 2020
kettykin:
As usual, very gullible Nigerians will believe this.
How can a phone call on 13th Friday cause a deputy head of state to go late to work over child naming. What do these take the rest of Nigerians for
watch 76. Obasanjo was part of the coup, but his role was enshrouded in secrecy

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Obasanjo: How I Survived Dimka Coup. Olu Bajowa Saved Me by Sirjamo: 12:15am On Dec 28, 2020
I'd rather believe Bobrisky than believe anything that comes out of baba Obasanjo's mouth. He has been swearing with Amadioha since 2007 that he never wanted a third term, everyone, except PDP Dundees knows he's a liar.

I AM DONE TALKING

4 Likes

Re: Obasanjo: How I Survived Dimka Coup. Olu Bajowa Saved Me by shiki(m): 12:37am On Dec 28, 2020
Tell us why BuBu survived
Re: Obasanjo: How I Survived Dimka Coup. Olu Bajowa Saved Me by Starboytwo(m): 1:32am On Dec 28, 2020
Sometime when I read bout Nigeria military coup era, it feels like an action movie. A lot of men died during that time sha.

7 Likes

Re: Obasanjo: How I Survived Dimka Coup. Olu Bajowa Saved Me by Racoon(m): 2:27am On Dec 28, 2020
Thank God for survival Gen.Obasanjo.Others were not so lucky to be consumed in that unfortunate coup.However as late Maj.Gen.Kastina once said "coup begat coup" while IBB said "we took(power) by force, so someone will also want to take it by force." So sad a part of our national histroy.

2 Likes

Re: Obasanjo: How I Survived Dimka Coup. Olu Bajowa Saved Me by Nobody: 2:53am On Dec 28, 2020
Weneda:
A former Nigerian President , Chief Olusegun Obasanjo , on Sunday , narrated how he survived the February 1976 military coup d ’etat , involving Lieutenant Colonel Buka Dimka .
Obasanjo said it was General Olu Bajowa ( retd .) that indirectly saved him from being killed in the coup .
The former Head of State gave the revelation at the celebration of the 80 th birthday of General Bajowa held in Igbotako , Okitipupa Local Government Area of Ondo State .
He described Bajowa , a former Commandant, Command and Staff College , Jaji, as a respectful and cultured man.
During the ceremony, the former President told the audience a story of how he was indirectly saved from being killed during the coup .
Obasanjo said , “ I want to say something about Olu – either he knew it or he didn’t know. When Dimka coup came, if Olu had not been what he is , I would have gone with the coup .
“ Olu is very respectful . He is very conscious of our culture. He had a child , a boy , and wanted to name the child after me . He had to call me early in the morning , that morning Dimka struck .
“ And because Olu said he was coming , I had to wait a little bit . I waited beyond the time I would have gone out . Olu then came, he made the request and I granted the request .
“ So, I was a little bit late in going on the route that I normally took to work . And Reinumuje went ahead of me and they thought it was me and they shot his car. They shot his car , Murtala was shot. Indirectly , that is how Olu Bajowa saved my life , ”

Describing Bajowa as a performing soldier, Obasanjo revealed that Bajowa performed very well when he ( Obasanjo ) drafted him to go and lead 11 Battalion during the nation ’ s civil war .
He emphasised that any job that Bajowa could not do , no one else could do it .
Earlier , the state governor , Mr Rotimi Akeredolu , had called on owners of local radio stations in the state to dwell more in educating and disseminating information in local languages.
He made the call while inaugurating a new radio station in commemoration of the 80 th birthday of General Bajowa ( retd .) at Okitipupa . The station is founded by Bajowa .
The governor commended General Bajowa for the role he played towards the development of the Southern Senatorial District of the state .
In his address, Bajowa explained that the aim of establishing the radio station was “ to complement the effort of government in reviving and prompting Ikale, Ilaje , Ijaw - Apoi and Ijaw - Arogbo culture , tradition, custom and by extension the Yoruba heritage , which are now becoming abandoned or extinct.
“ We also identify ourselves with the government effort to make information an important tool for social development and dissemination of the benefits of democracy at the grassroots level . ”
https://punchng.com/how-i-survived-dimka-coup-obasanjo/

If you have ever read Dr Nowa Omoigui's work on the 1976 Abortive Dimka coup, then you should already be familiar with this story.

Particularly that part about General Obasanjo attending a child naming ceremony.

I think the Dimka coup story should be made into a movie. It's gonna be interesting.

***wait... those pictures were not there earlier in the day, we're they

First pic: I've seen it somewhere... the white guy is Major-General Welby-Everard, the last foreigner to command the Nigerian Army. I believe he was welcoming OBJ back from UN peacekeeping Ops in the Congo DR in that picture.

32 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Obasanjo: How I Survived Dimka Coup. Olu Bajowa Saved Me by omowolewa: 3:04am On Dec 28, 2020
Okay

2 Likes

Re: Obasanjo: How I Survived Dimka Coup. Olu Bajowa Saved Me by Racoon(m): 3:45am On Dec 28, 2020
mansakhalifa:
If you have ever read Dr Nowa Omoigui's work on the 1976 Abortive Dimka coup, then you should already be familiar with this story.

Particularly that part about General Obasanjo attending a child naming ceremony.I think the Dimka coup story should be made into a movie.It's gonna be interesting.
Yes! You're right sir.So also is the "Oil, Politics and Violence" by Max Siollun. There was actually this "76" movies that came close in depicting how that abortive Lt.Col.Bukar Suka Dimka's Coup of Feb.13 1976 took place.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Obasanjo: How I Survived Dimka Coup. Olu Bajowa Saved Me by TooMuchStuff: 4:07am On Dec 28, 2020
Dimka was purely avenging the embarrassment meted to Gowon by the Hausafulanikanuri Muslims soldiers who kicked him out of power. Obasanjo was never a target for Dimka

17 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Obasanjo: How I Survived Dimka Coup. Olu Bajowa Saved Me by stonemasonn: 5:56am On Dec 28, 2020
Sirjamo:
I'd rather believe Bobrisky than believe anything that comes out of baba Obasanjo's mouth. He has been swearing with Amadioha since 2007 that he never wanted a third term, everyone, except PDP Dundees knows he's a liar.

I AM DONE TALKING
Is Bobrisky a liar?
Re: Obasanjo: How I Survived Dimka Coup. Olu Bajowa Saved Me by Guestlander: 6:00am On Dec 28, 2020
thatigboman:
watch 76. Obasanjo was part of the coup, but his role was enshrouded in secrecy

True, this is because you were in the Army and Obasanjo directly recruited you to be part of the coup.
Radarada.

34 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Obasanjo: How I Survived Dimka Coup. Olu Bajowa Saved Me by CharleyBright(m): 6:11am On Dec 28, 2020
ok
Re: Obasanjo: How I Survived Dimka Coup. Olu Bajowa Saved Me by owobokiri(m): 6:13am On Dec 28, 2020
Somebody help me; Why is Dimkas coup not defined by Dimkas ethnicity? I mean it was stated clearly that the main reason that led Dimka to unleash that coup was to get rid of core northerners that upstaged Gowon, a fellow middle belter! This led to the killings of Murtala Mohammed and Ibrahim Taiwo, including the attempted elimination of officers that helped Murtalas ascedence to power, most of them northerners! Gowons name was so glaringly written all over the coup that the federal government sought for his repatriation to Nigeria for trial.

He will later be left in the UK to rot while Ojukwu whom he fought against during the war, was pardoned to come back to Nigeria! My questions are; who and who here even know Dimkas ethnic group? Why was the ethnic/regional/sectional motivations behind Dimkas military interjection always downplayed by the media, the government and even the military while Nzeogwus military uprising is conveniently used as an excuse to propel an unending devilish policy of containment against the good people of the former eastern Nigeria!?

72 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Obasanjo: How I Survived Dimka Coup. Olu Bajowa Saved Me by CharleyBright(m): 6:20am On Dec 28, 2020
Racoon:

Yes! You're right sir.So also is the "Oil, Politics and Violence" by Max Siollun. There was actually this "76" movies that came close in depicting how that abortive Lt.Col.Bukar Suker Dimka's Coup of Feb.13 1976 took place.

Yes. The book - Oil, Politics and Violence did vividly described what played out in the Dimka Coup and the actors in the whole incidence. Buhari (who is a staunch protégé of Murtala Mohammed) was a key actor in foiling that coup.
Anyone that read those books before 2015 elections would have known who Buhari truly is and would not vote for him. Before i read Oil, POlitics and Violence, i had always perceived Murtala Mohammed as a gentle soldier. But the book depicted that he was a hard and stubborn soldier who had at many times openly threatened to deal with General Gowon, and he eventually overthrew Gowon and became the Head of state after ousting Gowon with the help of his staunch loyalists. Infact, the book narrated that Murtala was killed by those Loyal to Gowon as a revenge 6 months after Murtala ousted Gowon. the book further indicated that those times were very deadly times in the Military when there was distrusts and bad blood in the Military so much that everyone was scared of being assassinated, and after Murtala was killed, there was vacuum in the Military Headship for over 2 weeks and everyone ( Obasanjo and co who were highest officers then) refused to become Head of State. However, Obasanjo was almost forced to be Head of State so as to change Leadership to the Southern Nigeria to doused the Bad that had brewed between the Northern Military Christians camp ( The Langtan block and loyalist to Gowon) on one hand, and the Northern Military Muslims ( The Murtala Mohammed loyalist) on the other hand.
Anyone who wants to know why Nigeria is the way it is today should go and read 'Oil, Politics and violence" by Max Siolliun, And also the sequel of that book called - "Soldiers of Fortune" by same Author. But Books are Masterpieces that gives detailed accounts of every Top Nigerian Military officer since independence and their different roles in the Military to bastardized and destroyed Nigeria.

You can search and read these books online on : https://books.google.com.ng/books

68 Likes 11 Shares

Re: Obasanjo: How I Survived Dimka Coup. Olu Bajowa Saved Me by femi4: 6:45am On Dec 28, 2020
thatigboman:
But in that true movie 76 starring Ramsey Noah, they said Obasanjo was part of the coup
He was in the room with them but never supported the coup

3 Likes

Re: Obasanjo: How I Survived Dimka Coup. Olu Bajowa Saved Me by CharleyBright(m): 6:58am On Dec 28, 2020
owobokiri:
Somebody help me; Why is Dimkas coup not defined by Dimkas ethnicity? I mean it was stated clearly that the main reason that led Dimka to unleash that coup was to get rid of core northerners that upstaged Gowon, a fellow middle belter! This led to the killings of Murtala Mohammed and Ibrahim Taiwo, including the attempted elimination of officers that helped Murtala ascedence to power, nost of them northerners! Gowons name was so glaringly written all over the coup that the federal government sought for his repatriation to Nigeria for trial.

He will later be left in the UK to rot while Ojukwu whom he fought against during the war, was pardoned to come back to Nigeria! My questions are; who and who here even know Dimkas ethnic group? Why was the ethnic/regional/sectional motivations behind Dimkas military interjection always downplayed by the media, the government and even the military while Nzeogwus military uprising is conveniently used as an excuse to propel an unending devilish policy of containment against the good people of the former eastern Nigeria!?

There were lot of Bad Blood in the Military during that time. Very perilous times it was then when Top Military Officers had to be looking over their shoulders for fear of being killed.
Dimka's Coup against Murtala Mohammed was shrouded in vengefulness and distrust for the Murtala Mohammed govt by loyalists to ousted Gowon. Some top officers (Mostly Middle-belters) felt Murtala Mohammed was erratic, stubborn and difficult and had become Head Of State through a coup, and should be removed as a revenge for his coup against Gowon.
However, the initial Bad blood started after the Nzeogwu coup and the killing of the highest Northern Military Officer - Maimaliari. And subsequently after the Nzeogwu coup, the Northern Military officers ganged up and eliminated most of the Top Ibo officers. It got so bad that they even started killing Top officers from Rivers, Cross Rivers, Benue, Bendel states and even Yoruba officers who were sympathetic to the Ibo officers. Then Aguyi Ironsi was the head of State and despite all his bid to stop the senseless killings, the Northern Soldiers sought blood and revenge for the killing of their highest Military Officer - Mamaliari by the Nzegwu coup. The tension got so bad that some soldiers began to insinuate that Nzegwu carried out the coup so as to pave way for Aguyi Ironsi ( an Ibo man) to be Head of State. And so Ironsi was killed in a Coup by the Northern soldiers, and Gowon took over. But the killings of Ibo officers continued, which led to Ojukwu and many other Ibo soldiers fleeing to Onitsha ( Ojukwu was at that time the Commandant of Kaduna Military base).
Ojukwu had to start opposing the unwanton killings of Ibos and southerners and threatened to fight back. Ofcourse, this led to the Nigerian Civil war.
After the Civil War, the bad blood and killings in the Military had even gone worse. Gowon who was then the Head of state tried to stop the senseless killngs carried out by the Northern Military soldiers, but they turned and perceived him to be weak and sympathetic to the Ibos. Some Top Military Officers challenged him to his face (Murtala Mohammed was said to have done that often), and eventually, Gowon was ousted and Murtala Mohammed began Head of State.
However, the coup against Gowon (a Northern Military Christian) by Murtala Mohammed (a Nothern Military Muslim) tore the Northern Military bloc apart and marked the beginning of the divide that saw the emergence of the Langtang Military officers and some Northern Christian Military officer aligining with themto formed what was perceived to be a Christian bloc of the Northern Military - Domkat Bali, T.Y Danjuma, Jeremial Useni, Joshua Dogoyaro etc.
The coup against Gowon brought about a new Dimension to the distrust and bitterness in the Military as the northern Christians in the Military felt they have been surcharged by their Northern Muslim counterparts in the military. Perhaps that led to the coup against Murtala Mohammed by soldiers said to be loyal to Gowon.

In my opinion, one subtle coup that took place and Nigerians never knew about was the Ibrahim Babangida ouster.
From all indications from Max Sioullion's book - "The Soldiers of Fortune", it was more like Babangida was muscled out by Sani Abacha in what was seen as a Voluntary "Stepping Aside".
The whole charade of the Earnest Shonekan led Interim National Government was grandstanding, but in actual sense, there was more to it than we all knew. It was more like pre-planned for Sani Abacha to take over, as it was said that Babangida retired senior officers with himself except Sani Abacha.

51 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Obasanjo: How I Survived Dimka Coup. Olu Bajowa Saved Me by owobokiri(m): 7:24am On Dec 28, 2020
CharleyBright:

There were lot of Bad Blood in the Military during that time. Very perilous times it was then when Top Military Officers had to be looking over their shoulders for fear of being killed.
Bad blood started after the Nzeogwu coup. And subsequently, the Northern Military officers ganged up and eliminated most of the Top Ibo officers. It got so bad that theyeven started killing Top officers from Rivers, Cross Rivers, Benue, Bendel states and even Yoruba officers who were sympathetic to the Ibo officers. Then Aguyi Ironsi was the head of State and despite all his bid to stop the senseless killings, the Northern Soldiers sought blood and revenge for the killing of their highest Military Officer - Mamaliari by the Nzegwu coup. The tension got so bad that some soldiers began to insinuate that Nzegwu carried out the coup so as to pave way for Aguyi Ironsi ( an Ibo man) to be Head of State.
You are very right... It was the same bad blood that led to the elimination of very powerful middle belt officers in the army after the Dimka coup, paving the way for the likes of Yaradua and co....
As per Nzeogwu and Ironsi, that's still part of the vile conspiracy theories used to maim igbo officers... Without Ironsi, Nzeogwus coup would have succeeded. So how then can Nzeogwu be planning a coup to hand over to the same Ironsi that truncated his coup? Nzeogwu even sent Obasanjo to go and meet Ironsi on his behalf at Lagos, that's after consultations with surviving military commanders in the north including the likes of Hassan Katsina.. Some of them will later join the bandwagon of those pushing the overarching conspiracy theories of Ironsi being part of the coup... Life shaa

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Obasanjo: How I Survived Dimka Coup. Olu Bajowa Saved Me by Flyingngel(m): 7:25am On Dec 28, 2020
Obj is a man with many lives.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Peter Obi's Convoy Attacked In Katsina / Aisha Buhari Storms Senate To Observe Proceedings (Photo) / Obi Beats Tinubu, Atiku In New Physical Poll Ahead Of 2023 Election

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.