Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,848 members, 7,810,265 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 03:38 AM

Should Gernot Rohr Continue As Super Eagles Coach? - Sports (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Should Gernot Rohr Continue As Super Eagles Coach? (16196 Views)

Maduka Okoye : Continue As Nigeria's Goalkeeper? / Gernot Rohr Wants To Continue As Super Eagles Coach / Why I Will Not Marry Nigerian Woman – Super Eagles’ Coach, Gernot Rohr (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Should Gernot Rohr Continue As Super Eagles Coach? by femi4: 6:36am On Nov 15, 2020
alibiguy:

But Loew earned his reprieve by winning the edition before last. What has Rohr done to earn his?
Third place at last Afcon
Qualified for Afcon (after back to back failed attempts) and World cup with a game to spare
Re: Should Gernot Rohr Continue As Super Eagles Coach? by alibiguy: 6:39am On Nov 15, 2020
ServanTheG:
By reaching 3rd place at AFCON we have reached our peak under Rohr. If we continue it gets worse. Spurs reached CL final under Pochettino and still sacked him when things went bad despite how popular he was. Rohr has done his best,he lacks the mentality to lead the team. ROHR OUT

Kindly permit me to rephrase your opening sentence: Rohr has reached his peak with us. We've won the AFCON 3 times without him, and have been to the world cup 5 times previously before his advent. Rohr needs Nigeria more than Nigeria needs him.

3 Likes

Re: Should Gernot Rohr Continue As Super Eagles Coach? by alibiguy: 6:42am On Nov 15, 2020
femi4:
Third place at last Afcon
Qualified for Afcon (after back to back failed attempts) and World cup with a game to spare

The failed attempts happened more as a result of the NFF's wrangling with the technical crews at the time and not because of on-field issues. I'll buttress this point by asking you this: did Rohr bring in any new player during the 2018 FIFA world cup qualifiers?
Re: Should Gernot Rohr Continue As Super Eagles Coach? by femi4: 6:51am On Nov 15, 2020
alibiguy:

The failed attempts happened more as a result of the NFF's wrangling with the technical crews at the time and not because of on-field issues. I'll buttress this point by asking you this: did Rohr bring in any new player during the 2018 FIFA world cup qualifiers?
NFF gave Siasia a free hand yet he couldn't qualify. The positive in the last game was that Eagles scored 4 goals something they ve not done in a long while.

You can bring in new players at any time into the team if the old players are not available or meeting your expectations.

Okocha's debut for Nigeria was in a world cup qualifier
Re: Should Gernot Rohr Continue As Super Eagles Coach? by indodon(m): 7:08am On Nov 15, 2020
Rohr out
Re: Should Gernot Rohr Continue As Super Eagles Coach? by alibiguy: 7:10am On Nov 15, 2020
femi4:
NFF gave Siasia a free hand yet he couldn't qualify. The positive in the last game was that Eagles scored 4 goals something they ve not done in a long while.

You can bring in new players at any time into the team if the old players are not available or meeting your expectations.

Okocha's debut for Nigeria was in a world cup qualifier

I beg to differ on the issue of Siasia and other indigenous coaches. I still stand to be corrected, no local coach has been given the unalloyed support to succeed as the coach of the Super Eagles because if they got the support, we won't have Rohr. Remember that Samson Siasia wasn't the NFF's first choice, Keshi was; and what transpired with him (Siasia)? Your guess is as good as mine. Despite the challenges he still left us with a team that had capacity unlike Rohr who seems to me like one who doesn't understand his team.

You stated that Rohr qualified us with a game to spare and I asked if he infused any new blood into the team. The point I was trying to make is that there was a team ready for him to work with. The groundwork had been laid.
Re: Should Gernot Rohr Continue As Super Eagles Coach? by Nobody: 7:11am On Nov 15, 2020
If they like make dem chop 5-0 and not qualify for anything, buhari no even know say they exist. He is not aware. Rohr is d last of his problems.
They will rather sponsor 3 more BBnaija seasons per year than improve football. Enjoy your weekend...
Re: Should Gernot Rohr Continue As Super Eagles Coach? by Skseries: 7:28am On Nov 15, 2020
I started having an issue with GR after he lost to Argentina at the world cup. The way he lost was my problem. He sat at the side line till 80 something minute and didn't make a tactical adjustment till they scored. If I watching from home could see brn Idowu was tired and the attack kept coming from his end, why couldn't a coach see it.

I don't care that much if the team draw or lose am.more after how they play, GR is too conservative, he doesn't have a plan B for all.jis matches, neither does he wanna take a risk.

GR is a lazy coach, who is just running around looking for finished goods player, the goal keeper coach gave the reason for the lost to be because the players didn't spend long togther in camp.

For almost 3yrs no one, I repeat no one can say this is the playing style of the Eagles. Last interview he was asked what's the playing style of the Eagles, his was that it's game play is the use of short passes, oga what exactly is your philosophy? This man doesn't have any.

He goes to completion with almost a dozen of attackers and defenders then take only 3 midfielders when the problem of the team is actually midfield.

I think there is something NNF president is benefiting from me cus if Na Nigerian coach they will have sacked him.

The only thing working for that team is individual brilliance nothing else no coaching effects

3 Likes

Re: Should Gernot Rohr Continue As Super Eagles Coach? by femi4: 7:29am On Nov 15, 2020
alibiguy:

I beg to differ on the issue of Siasia and other indigenous coaches. I still stand to be corrected, no local coach has been given the unalloyed support to succeed as the coach of the Super Eagles because if they got the support, we won't have Rohr. Remember that Samson Siasia wasn't the NFF's first choice, Keshi was; and what transpired with him (Siasia)? Your guess is as good as mine. Despite the challenges he still left us with a team that had capacity unlike Rohr who seems to me like one who doesn't understand his team.

You stated that Rohr qualified us with a game to spare and I asked if he infused any new blood into the team. The point I was trying to make is that there was a team ready for him to work with. The groundwork had been laid.
Balogun and Troos became the integral part of the team under rohr

Brought in more wingers in Chukweze, and Kali

More options in right and left full backs
Re: Should Gernot Rohr Continue As Super Eagles Coach? by hgnbello(m): 7:41am On Nov 15, 2020
Win Or Loose. Dey Shld Just Sack Him
Re: Should Gernot Rohr Continue As Super Eagles Coach? by omeke12(m): 7:45am On Nov 15, 2020
robosky02:

He didn't just lost it. ...he doesn't even have it

Look at Algeria. When Rohr came first then we had victor Moses. We demolished them home and away

But the sack third coach... And in less than two year their team won the AFCON and we can't stand then

But Nigeria is rather on r retrogression

1 no first team

2 each game new set of players been experimented

3 no clear cut playing pattern

4 no tactical input in the team

bro, u forgot to mention zero achievement...
Re: Should Gernot Rohr Continue As Super Eagles Coach? by alibiguy: 7:48am On Nov 15, 2020
femi4:

Leon Balogun and Troost-Ekong made their debuts for the Super Eagles in 2014 and 2015 respectively. Rohr joined Nigeria in 2016.

Chukwueze and Kalu weren't part of the 2018 FIFA world cup qualifiers

Coaches make alterations to make teams better not worse.

1 Like

Re: Should Gernot Rohr Continue As Super Eagles Coach? by femi4: 7:52am On Nov 15, 2020
alibiguy:

Leon Balogun and Troost-Ekong made their debuts for the Super Eagles in 2014 and 2015 respectively. Rohr joined Nigeria in 2016.

Chukwueze and Kalu weren't part of the 2018 FiFA world cup qualifiers.
Integral part of the team not about having debuts.

Chukweze and Kali joined the team after the World cup. Rohr was appointed few weeks to the qualifier, he brought in more wingers after Moses left and people thought that eagles would struggle without Moses
Re: Should Gernot Rohr Continue As Super Eagles Coach? by Rossnitti: 8:46am On Nov 15, 2020
jerseyboy:
Nigeria will never give an indigenous coach a fraction of the leeway they give these third rate oyibo coaches. Inferiority complex is ingrained into out psyche.

God bless you for this comment. We have problems with our mentality in this country. If this was a Nigerian, he would have been sacked years ago.

1 Like

Re: Should Gernot Rohr Continue As Super Eagles Coach? by slex(m): 8:49am On Nov 15, 2020
OMONGBALI:

Klopp has achieved something already. Rohr has done nothing special. Third place finish is some our indigenous coaches can deliver. Have we forgotten how Madagascar beat us at Afcon. Rohr is bang average.

And where was Madagascar?

They were knocked out and we finished 3rd.

Qualifying for the World cup is spectacular my brother , so many countries in Africa have never gone once , don't forget that .

If it was that easy , why didn't sia sia qualify us even to the afcon that year ?or oliseh

Rohr is not the best but he has tried . If our local coaches take over , we know how they will behave , like kings over his subjects aka players .

OK, i ask you . which local coach can you suggest to take over the eagles today ?
Re: Should Gernot Rohr Continue As Super Eagles Coach? by OMONGBALI: 9:16am On Nov 15, 2020
slex:

And where was Madagascar?

They were knocked out and we finished 3rd.

Qualifying for the World cup is spectacular my brother , so many countries in Africa have never gone once , don't forget that .

If it was that easy , why didn't sia sia qualify us even to the afcon that year ?or oliseh

Rohr is not the best but he has tried . If our local coaches take over , we know how they will behave , like kings over his subjects aka players .

OK, i ask you . which local coach can you suggest to take over the eagles today ?

Baba, world cup qualification is not new to us. We have qualified for all editions since 1994, except in 2010. Rohr started well but we have not progressed much under him. He still has that team building vibes after these years.

He is tactically inept, and under him SE are not ambitious. There is no desire to do the spectacular. I repeat that he is average. NFF can get us a better coach if they are not obsessed with sharing formula. I don't have a replacement in mind but Rohr can't offer more than he has already given. We need fresh ideas and a coach with a stronger winning mentality. With a sound coach, we could have made the second round of the World cup at the expense of Argentina. And that semi final loss to Algeria, it didn't feel like we wanted to progress.
Please, stop comparing us with African countries that haven't gone to world cup. That's mediocrity mindset. We are the most populous black nation. We should have the highest talent pool. Compare us with Ghana and Senegal who have made it to the quarter final. We need to aspire for bigger things.

3 Likes

Re: Should Gernot Rohr Continue As Super Eagles Coach? by slex(m): 10:48am On Nov 15, 2020
OMONGBALI:

Baba, world cup qualification is not new to us. We have qualified for all editions since 1994, except in 2010. Rohr started well but we have not progressed much under him. He still has that team building vibes after these years.

He is tactically inept, and under him SE are not ambitious. There is no desire to do the spectacular. I repeat that he is average. NFF can get us a better coach if they are not obsessed with sharing formula. I don't have a replacement in mind but Rohr can't offer more than he has already given. We need fresh ideas and a coach with a stronger winning mentality. With a sound coach, we could have made the second round of the World cup at the expense of Argentina. And that semi final loss to Algeria, it didn't feel like we wanted to progress.
Please, stop comparing us with African countries that haven't gone to world cup. That's mediocrity mindset. We are the most populous black nation. We should have the highest talent pool. Compare us with Ghana and Senegal who have made it to the quarter final. We need to aspire for bigger things.

Senegal and Ghana have reached the world cup quaterfinals along with cameroon.. Nigerua has gone to his many world cups , have we passed 2nd round stage ? No .

Croatia went for their first world cup and finished 3rd .

In any competition , people only remember the winner and if they look further , we remember the top 3 only ..

Nigeria is a good side but we are no longer giant of Africa not to talk of football super power globally..

We are an average team with an average coach. We should all hope the NFF act fast before Nigeria misses our of big tournaments .

Are we better than Egypt ? Are we better than Senegal ? Are we better than Algeria ?

What did those teams do , what model did they use . Nigeria and brazil are almost the same in skills . We have sooooo much talent in this country but will those greedy oafs at NFF bring them in ? No .
The problem is from NFF and once the head is bad it spreads to the restroom the body .

NFF should be blamed for tge following :

Not getting a very sound coach

Using man know man to bring players and choose line up .

They delay payment of bonuses which turn makes players have low morale to play for the country .

Stop fire brigade approach to football in all levels .
Re: Should Gernot Rohr Continue As Super Eagles Coach? by alibiguy: 11:03am On Nov 15, 2020
femi4:

I'm only stating a fact that Rohr wasn't responsible for their (Balogun under Keshi, and Troost under Oliseh) development in the national team. And as for Chukwueze and Kalu, any half-brained coach would still have brought them to the national team. Remember Chukwueze and Osimhen played under Amunike at the U17 in Chile in 2015.
Re: Should Gernot Rohr Continue As Super Eagles Coach? by alibiguy: 11:06am On Nov 15, 2020
OMONGBALI:

Excellent commentary. We missed out on the 2006 World Cup.
Re: Should Gernot Rohr Continue As Super Eagles Coach? by OMONGBALI: 11:29am On Nov 15, 2020
alibiguy:

Excellent commentary. We missed out on the 2006 World Cup.

Thanks for the correction, boss. We missed 2006 WC. And the NFA of then caused it by not doing due diligence to know we were to use head to head, not goal difference. Angola just took our spot.

2 Likes

Re: Should Gernot Rohr Continue As Super Eagles Coach? by OMONGBALI: 11:34am On Nov 15, 2020
slex:

Senegal and Ghana have reached the world cup quaterfinals along with cameroon.. Nigerua has gone to his many world cups , have we passed 2nd round stage ? No .

Croatia went for their first world cup and finished 3rd .

In any competition , people only remember the winner and if they look further , we remember the top 3 only ..

Nigeria is a good side but we are no longer giant of Africa not to talk of football super power globally..

We are an average team with an average coach. We should all hope the NFF act fast before Nigeria misses our of big tournaments .

Are we better than Egypt ? Are we better than Senegal ? Are we better than Algeria ?

What did those teams do , what model did they use . Nigeria and brazil are almost the same in skills . We have sooooo much talent in this country but will those greedy oafs at NFF bring them in ? No .
The problem is from NFF and once the head is bad it spreads to the restroom the body .

NFF should be blamed for tge following :

Not getting a very sound coach

Using man know man to bring players and choose line up .

They delay payment of bonuses which turn makes players have low morale to play for the country .

Stop fire brigade approach to football in all levels .

I'm glad you agree that Rohr is not the best we can get as a national team manager.

You are right about the fire brigade approach. What I hate the most is rushing after foreign based young stars so they can play for us. Let's develop our local league and produce quality stars as well, those foreign boys will be begging to play for us.
Re: Should Gernot Rohr Continue As Super Eagles Coach? by Nobody: 11:44am On Nov 15, 2020
yosiakins:

How much is it
#30k
Re: Should Gernot Rohr Continue As Super Eagles Coach? by slex(m): 1:01pm On Nov 15, 2020
OMONGBALI:

I'm glad you agree that Rohr is not the best we can get as a national team manager.

You are right about the fire brigade approach. What I hate the most is rushing after foreign based young stars so they can play for us. Let's develop our local league and produce quality stars as well, those foreign boys will be begging to play for us.

True .. But our local boys can not compete with tje best. The only thing they can do is to give ghe other team a hard time .

Its like we using local boys to play France , they lack the exposure and experience ..
Re: Should Gernot Rohr Continue As Super Eagles Coach? by Walelavender(m): 1:28pm On Nov 15, 2020
Amotolongbo:
Rohr has lost it.

He should be relieved of the duty.

But the NFF may not relieve Gernot Rohr cos they benefit from the shady deal presented to Rohr and have some influences on his player selection
The truth is, NFF benefits from every deal involving a foreign coach, hence, sacking him to get another foreign coach is still a WIN-WIN. grin
Re: Should Gernot Rohr Continue As Super Eagles Coach? by Walelavender(m): 1:31pm On Nov 15, 2020
Since Rohr got this job, he has not been able to show us his pattern/style of play. What we see is individual brilliance of these guys. He lacks the depth.

Very good scout, a below average coach.

I think he should go after AFCON.
Re: Should Gernot Rohr Continue As Super Eagles Coach? by KnightofMoscow: 2:03pm On Nov 15, 2020
The coach needs to be sacked...we have so many materials with average age of 21 and all play regular shirt. For over 2 years the coach is still experimenting, no first eleven,, he has called 6 strikers so far. He changes defence like clothes, he has used several full backs yet he is still confused on whom to use. Call this call that.. all these has consequences...team won't blend,their won't be team work

1 Like

Re: Should Gernot Rohr Continue As Super Eagles Coach? by robosky02(m): 2:50pm On Nov 15, 2020
aribisala0:
3rd place is no progress

Even more important than results is development

We won the AFCON with Keshi but did not appreciate him

We need to focus on development and that means a good blend of local players

Let us not forget that Keshi won AFCON with local players

Rohr is not interested in developing our local game and his presence is a backward step.

Similarly Pinnick is not the right man because he is doing nothing to develop local coaches or players.

The likes of Finidi, Amunike, Yekini, Eguavoen, Okechukwu all played in Nigeria

This idea that if you are not playing iin Europe you are no good is rubbish

Keshi demonstrated that.

There is a way that Nigeria plays which Westerhof understood.

Rohr will not take our game anywhere.
With all due respect players like Iwobi Troost do not have the Naija spirit that we saw when Keshi won the AFCON

You sabi
Re: Should Gernot Rohr Continue As Super Eagles Coach? by ServanTheG(m): 3:35pm On Nov 15, 2020
alibiguy:

Kindly permit me to rephrase your opening sentence: Rohr has reached his peak with us. We've won the AFCON 3 times without him, and have been to the world cup 5 times previously before his advent. Rohr needs Nigeria more than Nigeria needs him.
Bless you
Re: Should Gernot Rohr Continue As Super Eagles Coach? by Gryffindor: 4:20pm On Nov 15, 2020
Rugaria:
Sack him because of a single draw? Must you win every day?

That's not called a draw, that's called bottle-job

1 Like

Re: Should Gernot Rohr Continue As Super Eagles Coach? by emoney09: 6:10pm On Nov 15, 2020
No
Re: Should Gernot Rohr Continue As Super Eagles Coach? by Nobody: 12:52pm On Nov 25, 2020
Boss @mooojy
Re: Should Gernot Rohr Continue As Super Eagles Coach? by Nobody: 12:54pm On Nov 25, 2020
Please brother @ mooojy i need urgent financial help

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Juventus Lost To Ronaldo In Arbitration. Ordered To Pay The Debt Owed Him / An Open Letter To Stephen Keshi / Gernot Rohr Visits NFF Headquaters (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 74
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.