Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,950 members, 7,810,629 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 12:22 PM

#endsars: President Buhari Authorised Deployment Of Soldiers To Lekki Toll Gate - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / #endsars: President Buhari Authorised Deployment Of Soldiers To Lekki Toll Gate (1391 Views)

Garba Shehu To Akeredolu: No State Authorised To Procure Automatic Weapons / Endsars: President Buhari Authorised Deployment Of Soldiers To Restore Order / More Photos Of Soldiers Killed In Yobe After Boko Haram Overran Military Base (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

#endsars: President Buhari Authorised Deployment Of Soldiers To Lekki Toll Gate by Openbusiness: 2:37am On Nov 15, 2020
#EndSARS: President Buhari Authorised Deployment Of Soldiers To Restore Order At Lekki Toll Gate, Army Commander Tells Panel

At least 10 protesters were killed in the Lekki plaza shooting og October 20, according to Amnesty International.

The army had maintained that its troops were not at the site but later said soldiers were sent to enforce a curfew.

Appearing before the Lagos Judicial Panel of Inquiry on Saturday, Ahmed Taiwo, a Brigadier-General of the Nigerian Army, said Governor Babajide Sanwo-Olu could only have made a request but only the President and Commander-In-Chief can authorise the deployment of soldiers.

Taiwo claimed that the events that culminated in the incident of October 20 at the Lekki Toll Gate had its remote causes in the wider #EndSARS protest and its immediate causes in the lawlessness that ensued from October 18.

He explained that the attack made the governor to call on the army to interfere in the crisis and due to the urgency of the situation, Sanwo-Olu imposed a 24-hour curfew, which was to commence at 4:00pm on October 20 but was later shifted to 9:00pm.

Taiwo said, “Due to the urgency of the security situation in the state, the governor declared a 24-hour curfew which was supposed to start at 4:00pm. They wanted everyone off the streets to deal with the hoodlums, but after some observations, the timing was shifted to 21:00 hours, but this timing was not communicated to the Nigerian Army.

“Be that as it may, we the Nigerian Army had already immediately deployed the 65 Battalion under the 81 Division Garrison to forestal all further violence and loss of lives. It is important to note that this deployment of troops contrary to reports, was done throughout Lagos to activate Phase 4 of the Internal Security Operations.”
http://saharareporters.com/2020/11/14/endsars-president-buhari-authorised-deployment-soldiers-restore-order-lekki-toll-gate

Re: #endsars: President Buhari Authorised Deployment Of Soldiers To Lekki Toll Gate by Openbusiness: 2:38am On Nov 15, 2020
The truth is coming out small small shocked No wonder Governor Sanwo Olu said "Forces beyond their control". Gugu map is starting to point to Buhari grin

2 Likes

Re: #endsars: President Buhari Authorised Deployment Of Soldiers To Lekki Toll Gate by chatinent: 2:39am On Nov 15, 2020
Government by man is a failure.
Re: #endsars: President Buhari Authorised Deployment Of Soldiers To Lekki Toll Gate by CanadaOrBust: 2:44am On Nov 15, 2020
This is common sense. The order can only come from top or it is tantamount to almost a coup -
and you’d be seeing dismissals and courts martial
Re: #endsars: President Buhari Authorised Deployment Of Soldiers To Lekki Toll Gate by Parizz: 2:49am On Nov 15, 2020
They are just shifting blame. From NA to sanwoolu from sanwo to bubu. Nawa oh

1 Like

Re: #endsars: President Buhari Authorised Deployment Of Soldiers To Lekki Toll Gate by Openbusiness: 2:59am On Nov 15, 2020
CanadaOrBust:
This is common sense. The order can only come from top or it is tantamount to almost a coup -
and you’d be seeing dismissals and courts martial
But the same Army is saying they are not happy Governor Sanwo Olu DENIED inviting them to toll gate, and then they are saying Buhari authorized their deployment at the same time. So who should we now believe: Nigerian Army or......... Nigerian Army grin? They gave out 2 different stories for themselves. Their sense of wuru wuru is too much grin
Re: #endsars: President Buhari Authorised Deployment Of Soldiers To Lekki Toll Gate by craftricINTERIO: 3:00am On Nov 15, 2020
Ok
Re: #endsars: President Buhari Authorised Deployment Of Soldiers To Lekki Toll Gate by orisa37: 3:27am On Nov 15, 2020
Endsars-president-buhari-authorised-deployment-soldiers-restore-order-lekki-toll-gate.

ARE YOU SURPRISED? AFTER HE JUST TOLD THE WORLD THAT HE WOULD NOT TAKE ADVICE FROM BURAITAI TO DO WHAT HE JUST DID.
Re: #endsars: President Buhari Authorised Deployment Of Soldiers To Lekki Toll Gate by BigDick70inch(m): 3:51am On Nov 15, 2020
V
Re: #endsars: President Buhari Authorised Deployment Of Soldiers To Lekki Toll Gate by LeeSantos(m): 4:08am On Nov 15, 2020
Black is a curse.
there is no black nation that is doing better than the other
they all have problems, highest corruption on earth, wickedness, selfishness, over religiousness, and so on.

5 Likes

Re: #endsars: President Buhari Authorised Deployment Of Soldiers To Lekki Toll Gate by 2special(m): 4:10am On Nov 15, 2020
Why can't dey invite the state Governor yesterday also....
Re: #endsars: President Buhari Authorised Deployment Of Soldiers To Lekki Toll Gate by achierosion(m): 4:34am On Nov 15, 2020
Are there problem in the lekki tollgate that peace needs to be restored?

It will continue to happen until the old Southern politicians will get ride off by nature thereby ushering a new breed of southern youths.

As for now, let the caliphate continue to destroy us.
Re: #endsars: President Buhari Authorised Deployment Of Soldiers To Lekki Toll Gate by Openbusiness: 5:01am On Nov 15, 2020
2special:
Why can't dey invite the state Governor yesterday also....
The Governor has immunity na, the panel has no powers to invite or summon the Governor personally. If they want any info from LASG, they will get it through whatever agency that covers that area. But it is very obvious Sanwo Olu has nothing to hide. The process has been very transparent and open. 81 Division is probably the best military formation in Nigeria, having maybe most of the finest (nicest + most professional) soldiers you will ever meet in the Nigerian Army, their GOC is a fantastic soldier and a kind man with conscience. "If" they were involved in that kind of operations, their orders definitely can only come from the higher ups in Abuja aka FG.

1 Like

Re: #endsars: President Buhari Authorised Deployment Of Soldiers To Lekki Toll Gate by sonofthunder: 5:08am On Nov 15, 2020
Openbusiness:
But the same Army is saying they are not happy Governor Sanwo Olu DENIED inviting them to toll gate, and then they are saying Buhari authorized their deployment at the same time. So who should we now believe: Nigerian Army or......... Nigerian Army grin? They gave out 2 different stories for themselves. Their sense of wuru wuru is too much grin

Sanwo Olu can only make requests, approval to such is from the commander-in-chief.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: #endsars: President Buhari Authorised Deployment Of Soldiers To Lekki Toll Gate by blackpanda: 5:10am On Nov 15, 2020
Lubbish
Re: #endsars: President Buhari Authorised Deployment Of Soldiers To Lekki Toll Gate by blackpanda: 5:12am On Nov 15, 2020
LeeSantos:
Black is a curse.
there is no black nation that is doing better than another.
they all have problems, highest corruption on earth, wickedness, selfishness, over religiousness, and so on.

And whites don't have problems Smh
Re: #endsars: President Buhari Authorised Deployment Of Soldiers To Lekki Toll Gate by Notatribalist(m): 6:45am On Nov 15, 2020
Openbusiness:

http://saharareporters.com/2020/11/14/endsars-president-buhari-authorised-deployment-soldiers-restore-order-lekki-toll-gate
I am only concern about the ignorance of Nigerians that kept asking who sent the army, who else is supposed to send them aside the president? The Governor can't make a request but lack the power to deploy them.Shame on that old man

1 Like

Re: #endsars: President Buhari Authorised Deployment Of Soldiers To Lekki Toll Gate by helinues: 6:49am On Nov 15, 2020
From Sahara Deserted...

So na FG placed curfew in Lagos State on the day of Lekki event?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: #endsars: President Buhari Authorised Deployment Of Soldiers To Lekki Toll Gate by Simplyleo: 7:01am On Nov 15, 2020
Openbusiness:
The Governor has immunity na, the panel has no powers to invite or summon the Governor personally. If they want any info from LASG, they will get it through whatever agency that covers that area. But it is very obvious Sanwo Olu has nothing to hide. The process has been very transparent and open. 81 Division is probably the best military formation in Nigeria, having maybe most of the finest (nicest + most professional) soldiers you will ever meet in the Nigerian Army, their GOC is a fantastic soldier and a kind man with conscience. "If" they were involved in that kind of operations, their orders definitely can only come from the higher ups in Abuja aka FG.
I thought I was reading comment from an enlightened person until I got to the emboldened. undecided
Re: #endsars: President Buhari Authorised Deployment Of Soldiers To Lekki Toll Gate by OfoIgbo: 7:02am On Nov 15, 2020
helinues:
From Sahara Deserted...

So na FG placed curfew in Lagos State on the day of Lekki event?

Curfew does not translate to "go and shoot unarmed protesters".

To me though, both the requester and the authorizer, have questions to answer.
Re: #endsars: President Buhari Authorised Deployment Of Soldiers To Lekki Toll Gate by helinues: 7:05am On Nov 15, 2020
OfoIgbo:

Curfew does not translate to "go and shoot unarmed protesters".

To me though, both the requester and the authorizer, have questions to answer.

You dodged the question?

Was it FG that placed curfew in Lagos on the day of Lekki event?

Why would Buhari deployed army to Lekki?
Re: #endsars: President Buhari Authorised Deployment Of Soldiers To Lekki Toll Gate by SMI2020: 7:19am On Nov 15, 2020
sure now.. only the president can deploy army... why else buhari keep quiet on d matter?? denying isn't possible my dear
Re: #endsars: President Buhari Authorised Deployment Of Soldiers To Lekki Toll Gate by jlinkd78(m): 7:22am On Nov 15, 2020
Following
Re: #endsars: President Buhari Authorised Deployment Of Soldiers To Lekki Toll Gate by OfoIgbo: 7:35am On Nov 15, 2020
helinues:

You dodged the question?

Was it FG that placed curfew in Lagos on the day of Lekki event?

Why would Buhari deployed army to Lekki?

I believe both of your questions are taken care of, by the last statement I made, in my previous message.

There was a curfew in Lagos at the height of the Coronavirus pandemic. I don't recall the army shooting defaulters.

There was a curfew in Lagos meant to start at 9pm, the army went to Lekki at 7pm and started shooting people. Every human being in Nigeria, was aware of the change of time from 4pm to 9pm. The government did not send me any private email informing me of the change of time, but it was a general knowledge as it was all over the media, and it was repeated several times by Lagos state government top officials.

Sanwolu's curfew was to start at 9pm. So in fact the army's presence in Lekki had nothing to do with Sanwolu's 9pm curfew, otherwise they would have waited till 9pm to start shooting.

The army was there at 7pm, on a shooting spree, ordered by Buhari.

The questions for Sanwolu should include, In spite of the fact that his curfew was to start at 9pm, did he request for the military to be there by 7pm?
Did he also request that the army should shoot peaceful Lekki tollgate demonstrators by 7pm
If not, did he request that the army should shoot peaceful Lekki tollgate demonstrators at 9pm

For Buhari's people, they should also answer the following. Did they receive a request from Sanwolu for soldiers to be deployed at Lekki tollgate hours before the curfew?
Did they receive a request from Sanwolu for soldiers to shoot peaceful protesters around 7pm?
If so, why did they grant such a wicked request to shoot at peaceful protesters?
If not, why did Buhari authorize the army to kill peaceful protesters with live bullets, at 7pm?
Re: #endsars: President Buhari Authorised Deployment Of Soldiers To Lekki Toll Gate by helinues: 7:37am On Nov 15, 2020
OfoIgbo:

I believe both of your questions are taken care of, by the last statement I made, in my previous message.

There was a curfew in Lagos at the height of the Coronavirus pandemic. I don't recall the army shooting defaulters.

There was a curfew in Lagos meant to start at 9pm, the army went to Lekki at 7pm and started shooting people. Every human being in Nigeria, was aware of the change of time from 4pm to 9pm. The government did not send me any private email informing me of the change of time, but it was a general knowledge as it was all over the media, and it was related several times by Lagos state government top officials.

Sanwolu's curfew was to start at 9pm. So in fact the army's presence in Lekki had nothing to do with Sanwolu's 9pm curfew, otherwise they would have waited till 9pm to start shooting.

The army was there at 7pm, on a shooting spree, ordered by Buhari.

The questions for Sanwolu should include, In spite of the fact that his curfew was to start at 9pm, did he request for the military to be there by 7pm?
Did he also request that the army should shoot peaceful Lekki tollgate demonstrators by 7pm
If not, did he request that the army should shoot peaceful Lekki tollgate demonstrators at 9pm

For Buhari's people, they should also answer the following. Did they receive a request from Sanwolu for soldiers to be deployed at Lekki tollgate hours before the curfew?
Did they receive a request from Sanwolu for soldiers to shoot peaceful protesters around 7pm?
If so, why didn't get grant such a wicked request to shoot at peaceful protesters?
If not, why did Buhari authorize the army to kill peaceful protesters with live bullets, at 7pm?

Was there any protest during the Coronavirus curfew/lockdown?
Re: #endsars: President Buhari Authorised Deployment Of Soldiers To Lekki Toll Gate by OfoIgbo: 7:43am On Nov 15, 2020
helinues:

Was there any protest during the Coronavirus curfew/lockdown?

Yes, there were bands of criminals who were looting shops and harassing people in Lagos during the Coronavirus curfew. They obviously were not peaceful, yet not much was done to curtail their activities.

Yet, Buhari sent soldiers out to kill peaceful protesters at Lekki
Re: #endsars: President Buhari Authorised Deployment Of Soldiers To Lekki Toll Gate by helinues: 7:48am On Nov 15, 2020
OfoIgbo:

Yes, there were bands of criminals who were looting shops and harassing people in Lagos during the Coronavirus curfew. They obviously were not peaceful, yet not much was done to curtail their activities.

Yet, Buhari sent soldiers out to kill peaceful protesters at Lekki

Looting during Coronavirus curfew?

Abeg do you have any credible source to back this claim up?
Re: #endsars: President Buhari Authorised Deployment Of Soldiers To Lekki Toll Gate by OfoIgbo: 7:51am On Nov 15, 2020
helinues:

If you Google for it, I'm sure you will find it.

But get back to the topic. The Lekki massacre
Re: #endsars: President Buhari Authorised Deployment Of Soldiers To Lekki Toll Gate by Ibadansun1: 7:51am On Nov 15, 2020
helinues:

Oga you didn't remember how people became vigilante during Corona virus curfew?

How one million boys were going from house to house to rob?
Re: #endsars: President Buhari Authorised Deployment Of Soldiers To Lekki Toll Gate by Ibadansun1: 7:53am On Nov 15, 2020
Like I have always maintained, the only person that controls the Army is the commander in chief.
Re: #endsars: President Buhari Authorised Deployment Of Soldiers To Lekki Toll Gate by helinues: 7:58am On Nov 15, 2020
OfoIgbo:

If you Google for it, I'm sure you will find it.

But get back to the topic. The Lekki massacre

Those are hoodlums not protesters.....

And what's Lekki massacre? Where did that take place?

Lekki in Miami?
Re: #endsars: President Buhari Authorised Deployment Of Soldiers To Lekki Toll Gate by helinues: 7:58am On Nov 15, 2020
Ibadansun1:
Oga you didn't remember how people became vigilante during Corona virus curfew?

How one million boys were going from house to house to rob?

Those are hoodlums not protesters

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

I See Governor Yahaya Bello As President Of Nigeria 2023- Pastor James Peter / VIDEO: The Green River In Akwa Ibom State, Unbelievably Green At All Times / Hunting For ESN Personnel In S’east While Bandits Sack Northern Communities, Cur

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.