Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,525 members, 7,819,893 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 05:24 AM

My Candid Advice For Nigerian Graduates With 2.2 - Education (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / My Candid Advice For Nigerian Graduates With 2.2 (54387 Views)

Uniben Law Student Destiny Ogedegbe, Graduates With First Class, Becomes Second / Hafsat Jalila Adamu Graduates With First Class From American University, Nigeria / Ibu Faith Graduates With Distinction In MSc From University Of Bedfordshire, UK (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Candid Advice For Nigerian Graduates With 2.2 by Funjosh(m): 4:11pm On Nov 15, 2020
Heartlessbanker:
I like your civil reply. Doing business here is tough but not impossible.

So you expect him to start fights with you ni undecided
Re: My Candid Advice For Nigerian Graduates With 2.2 by ecolime(m): 4:11pm On Nov 15, 2020
1st Class and 2.1 is the reason many intelligent graduates are having slow career growth. You get your first job at age 25, promotion at age 28, the next promotion at 32 and so on and so forth. Before you know it, you've clocked 50.

Your mate with a 2.2 knows it's hard to get an entry level job due to stiff competition. The smart ones go for small jobs, build capacity and required competencies or go for Masters immediately after NYSC, get a small paying job. Five years later they come to your company as experienced hire and way above your own grade.

That's the story of many folks that I know.

Summary: It's not how far BUT how well!

N.B: Your class of degree becomes irrelevant after 3-4 years of working.

15 Likes 3 Shares

Re: My Candid Advice For Nigerian Graduates With 2.2 by tete7000(m): 4:12pm On Nov 15, 2020
Certificates have not lost value and become as useless as cardboard paper. The op assertion is a lie from the big pit of helll, an effort to make people lose respect for time spent pursuing academic achievement. The reality is that if you have invested great effort in university and diligently acquire knowledge, your opportunity will come. You need to remain optimistic and keep working to improve yourself. I have been a graduate myself who spent quite a time on the sideline before being productively engage and now on the upward ascent in my career.
Young people have to understand that life is getting harder and only those who prove their mettle in providing solutions to problems will be looked out for. I have been a member of panel who interviewed some graduates for a position and I must be honest that many graduate are shallow and know not much about what they have gone to school to study. This remains impediment to many getting job. Money is hard to get and no one throws money at anyone because they like his face. It is your ability to solve people's problem that earn you money. University education provides a wonderful opportunity to gain knowledge and while in school, undergraduates should devote their energy into acquiring tangible knowledge.
No one shoukd give up on his/her God's given dream. Keep working on yourself and keep believing that at the right time, the door of opportunity will open if you prepare yourself ready.

Rapmoney

13 Likes

Re: My Candid Advice For Nigerian Graduates With 2.2 by sammirano: 4:13pm On Nov 15, 2020
Enceladus:

First class also like no grade especially in Nigeria.

Hello? Which first class? University of ibadan or babcock. Know what you are doing.
Re: My Candid Advice For Nigerian Graduates With 2.2 by AmadorSays: 4:15pm On Nov 15, 2020
Coldie:

LoL... U no hear say Emmanuella secondary school girl buy house for her mama.

Opportunities full there just make ur videos then post for tundeednut
it's not just about videos, you have to be funny too
Re: My Candid Advice For Nigerian Graduates With 2.2 by Nobody: 4:15pm On Nov 15, 2020
MISSCONGENIALITY:
If you like graduate with 1.1,2.2,3.3 or even 9.9, if you can't help yourself, if you don't have someone to help you, and most importantly, if your have not discovered yourself, you are inderp shit.

So I’m quoting you right now and laughing at your moniker. It brought back good old memories.

I used to call a girl I loved very much miss congeniality. I got the name off a movie series: I think it’s “Kyle XY”.

Can’t really remember cos it’s been so long.

3 Likes

Re: My Candid Advice For Nigerian Graduates With 2.2 by UdemeJoshua(m): 4:15pm On Nov 15, 2020
Whether 0:0,0:1,1:1,1:2,2:1,2:2,3:1,3:2,4:1,4:2
Everybody with it grace, nobody know who God will favour. With the way the country is now, my brother you can't come to me with 1:1, then I employ u by reject my brother,my frnd,my cousin who had 3:2, is not done that way. You suppose generalize this sweet word of advise.
Thanks for this,it will go a long way to push another to see what the can do for their self.

2 Likes

Re: My Candid Advice For Nigerian Graduates With 2.2 by Coldie(m): 4:15pm On Nov 15, 2020
AmadorSays:
it's not just about videos, you have to be funny too
Ikorodu bois funny?
Re: My Candid Advice For Nigerian Graduates With 2.2 by ChiefS(m): 4:16pm On Nov 15, 2020
Rapmoney:

I understand you but you know most companies in Nigeria do not give 2.2 graduates the chance to even attend interviews. Their applications are not considered.
Half-truth. While some companies don't give 2.2 graduates a chance, many others still employ 2.2 graduates. The graduate should apply to companies or institutions that employ 2.2 graduates and also upgrade with professional qualifications, relevant skills and postgraduate programs. A young graduate should not despise the days of small beginnings. With perseverance, focus, and God's grace he will eventually succeed. The beginning may truly be tough. Weeping endures for a night but joy comes in the morning.
Re: My Candid Advice For Nigerian Graduates With 2.2 by translux(m): 4:16pm On Nov 15, 2020
Rapmoney:

Africans and religion.

Brother, not really religion, it is the grace of Almighty God that connects/position someone to the right place, you know what, I graduated from Laspotech with Lower credit in 2009, jobless for few years later got a job in Lekki in 2017 with just 70kpeanut, 1year later I was promoted to head all the department in the company, my salary is x6 of the previous pay and I have 3 first class graduates working under me, in fact I was the one that employed them, the grace of God is ever sufficient, it does not need your degree or any qualification

18 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Candid Advice For Nigerian Graduates With 2.2 by tete7000(m): 4:17pm On Nov 15, 2020
cktheluckyman:
You can get to the top of any career with 2.2.Dont allow anyone to demoralize you

Thank you for this.
Re: My Candid Advice For Nigerian Graduates With 2.2 by Judolisco(m): 4:19pm On Nov 15, 2020
Everyone should follow dis suggestion oh irrespective of ur grade... Me I finished serving 4 months ago job neva click... I dey reason msc ASUU still dey on strike.... Now na to go dey hustle with my 2.1 oh any job will do

2 Likes

Re: My Candid Advice For Nigerian Graduates With 2.2 by Lamasta(m): 4:19pm On Nov 15, 2020
Private firms are the only firms I believe gives merit on job openings and also consideration of grades and not all of them actually do but you see that of government jobs abeg forget grades its man know man for here

3 Likes

Re: My Candid Advice For Nigerian Graduates With 2.2 by Judolisco(m): 4:22pm On Nov 15, 2020
Tboy243:
We wey get 2.1 and first class, wetin we don achieve?. While appluading the writer for this lovely write up, I'll like to add that this advice should be for all Nigerian graduates not only 2.2 graduates.
exactly oh..... Even if u graduated with a 3rd class and uve gat good connections that's all.. D advice is for all Nigerian graduates o

2 Likes

Re: My Candid Advice For Nigerian Graduates With 2.2 by Peterosky(m): 4:23pm On Nov 15, 2020
Heartlessbanker:
bros,I noticed ever since you failed in your entrepreneurial adventure,you seem to be so scared of anything that has to do with "business". I get it,I get that "95%" of all business fail in the first five years. But that shouldn't make you be so skeptical about business. This is just what I've observed from your comments so far regarding business on NL. I know you failed,accept it. Learn from your mistakes. Nigeria no good for business,but people still dey do business and still dey make am. I dont mean this as an insult cus I don't know how you might interpret this. If we all wait till when we can feed ourselves comfortably before we start business, when will that be?
.If truly you are a banker, then you are heartless.

1 Like

Re: My Candid Advice For Nigerian Graduates With 2.2 by AmadorSays: 4:24pm On Nov 15, 2020
Coldie:

Ikorodu bois funny?
nope, and they are not comedians, to be a successful comedian, you have to be funny
Re: My Candid Advice For Nigerian Graduates With 2.2 by AmadorSays: 4:25pm On Nov 15, 2020
Peterosky:
.If truly you are a banker, then you are heartless.
lol, you no see him name? grin

1 Like

Re: My Candid Advice For Nigerian Graduates With 2.2 by Hopss(m): 4:25pm On Nov 15, 2020
g
Adonis86:
You try, but e remain small. Don't neglect the power of God. If you have divine backing, even with a pass you have a good job.

One of my sisters made Pass from a polytechnic, but working as a civil servant today.

In my department, a guy with Pass was retained with a Pass after nysc in a reputable company based on his good character.

In my department, we were three lecturers recently employed, we all graduated with 2.2. I'm talking about a federal university.

So, having God is what matters, in fact I'm promoted ahead of a lady that made First Class in my set working in the same department, because I finished my masters before her.

Advice: Keep chasing your dreams with divine backing, don't be discouraged by the present result or circumstance... There's always light at the end of the tunnel

oga talk true,person dey wey do the connect for u. and others,stop saying God.
That was how a friend of my got a job with Nigeria correctional service, and the following conversion ensured

me: guy how e take happene
my friend: na god ooo
me: which kind talk be that one,abeg yarn me truth
my friend: emmm, actually my dad meet the accountant general for delta state,na him put my name for him slot wey them give am
me: na nw u dey talk

5 Likes

Re: My Candid Advice For Nigerian Graduates With 2.2 by Mires: 4:26pm On Nov 15, 2020
Sniper101:

OP
Dis ur write-up get as e be o
Na why I no fit talk much

All I'll say is...
The Nigeria we find ourselves today, the grade with which one graduates from the University with doesn't really matter.

A third class graduate can easily start working in INTELS or in AGIP or in UNIPORT barely three months after graduation, whereas a first class graduate could still be roaming the streets of Port Harcourt or Lagos for 3yrs, searching for a job.

It all depends on "who you know"
And of course, the God_factor

Don't always be fast to write. Go back and read what OP wrote.

2 Likes

Re: My Candid Advice For Nigerian Graduates With 2.2 by Nobody: 4:28pm On Nov 15, 2020
Rapmoney:

The last one you mentioned is even the most important. Discovering yourself first. No Good Samaritan out there.
The moment I internalised that, half of my worries was gone.

The problem is that people would expect you to be a good Samaritan when you get small change.
Re: My Candid Advice For Nigerian Graduates With 2.2 by Abudu2000(m): 4:29pm On Nov 15, 2020
Some half baked graduates came to our firm for interview and i had to start going through their CVs again to be sure they are the ones we invited lmao

1 Like

Re: My Candid Advice For Nigerian Graduates With 2.2 by Kinkykinky: 4:29pm On Nov 15, 2020
MISSCONGENIALITY:
If you like graduate with 1.1,2.2,3.3 or even 9.9, if you can't help yourself, if you don't have someone to help you, and most importantly, if your have not discovered yourself, you are inderp shit.

Omo, been noticing you for a while!

I like your mental prowess.

Are you single?
Re: My Candid Advice For Nigerian Graduates With 2.2 by BusinessCity: 4:30pm On Nov 15, 2020
Re: My Candid Advice For Nigerian Graduates With 2.2 by Nobody: 4:32pm On Nov 15, 2020
Funjosh:

So you expect him to start fights with you ni undecided
....start a fight.

1 Like

Re: My Candid Advice For Nigerian Graduates With 2.2 by Coldie(m): 4:34pm On Nov 15, 2020
AmadorSays:
nope, and they are not comedians, to be a successful comedian, you have to be funny
Skit isn't all about comedy
Re: My Candid Advice For Nigerian Graduates With 2.2 by Kinkykinky: 4:34pm On Nov 15, 2020
Adonis86:
You try, but e remain small. Don't neglect the power of God. If you have divine backing, even with a pass you have a good job.

One of my sisters made Pass from a polytechnic, but working as a civil servant today.

In my department, a guy with Pass was retained with a Pass after nysc in a reputable company based on his good character.

In my department, we were three lecturers recently employed, we all graduated with 2.2. I'm talking about a federal university.

So, having God is what matters, in fact I'm promoted ahead of a lady that made First Class in my set working in the same department, because I finished my masters before her.

Advice: Keep chasing your dreams with divine backing, don't be discouraged by the present result or circumstance... There's always light at the end of the tunnel

Awesome piece!
Re: My Candid Advice For Nigerian Graduates With 2.2 by SILVERLINES: 4:35pm On Nov 15, 2020
Rapmoney:
In as much as we always try to paint and re-paint realities, they still stare at us in the eyes with the greatest level of confidence or boldness you can think of.

I am using this post to offer a candid advice to Nigerian graduates within the 2.2 grade level, especially, those folks who graduated within the last 2 years. I said this because I should think most of the folks who graduated 5 to 10 years ago would have been able to create something for themselves, whether on a small or large scale.

Graduating with a 2.2 grade should not make you start dwelling on how you did it wrong and what you could have done and not have done.
Your 2.2 grade does not mean you are not intelligent or brilliant. Certificates from Nigerian higher institutions these days have lost their true value and relevance. There is little or no difference between university certificates and cardboard papers or wallpapers. Your 2.2 grade should give you the signal that the labour market is not friendly to you because even the first class and 2.1 graduates are not finding it easy as well. Except you have strong connections, you may never get that dream job of yours with your 2.2 cert. It is the truth. There is no proverbial Good Samaritan anywhere. Stop waiting and act.

ADVICE FOR 2.2 GRADUATES

1. Stop looking for that dream job that is almost nonexistent. Get productive in any small firm that employs you. Even if the salary is not big. Make sure you save aggressively like a mad man. Give yourself few years and start your own business in any lucrative industry you have interest in and passion for. Grow your business diligently and gradually. Make sure your eyes are wide open kokoroko like those of a hawk. No room for distractions from unserious friends. Business first.

2. Humble yourself and learn a good lucrative skill. Nigerian university education is almost like a scam! The country does not possess the industrial capacity to absorb graduates from most of the departments and faculties you fancifully look at in JAMB brochure. Again, without connections, there is no Good Samaritan out there. Go learn a good skill and TRY TO BE VERY GOOD AT IT; it should not even be related to what you studied in school. You should explore other career paths in life.

The Nigerian society does not always believe in 'practicalize what you can do for us to see'. So even if you are a very bright person who graduated with a 2.2 due to some unfortunate circumstances, you may never get that chance to prove your worth or knowledge to get employed in your dream industry. That is how the system is. Yes, it is all messed up you would say. And you are right. The system believes in connections laced with mediocrity and financial gratification.

My candid contribution...

Happy Weekend!
OP may God bless you for this topic you created, same I have been advising them. In today's Nigeria there's no difference between a bachelor degree holder and SSCE holder. I studied biochemistry and graduate with upper division back it up with a master degree but I couldn't find a job and feeding then was a problem till I diverted my attention to computer and programming there I find my fortune and now realise that what I am today I would have been better without going to the university.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Candid Advice For Nigerian Graduates With 2.2 by mosefin19(m): 4:35pm On Nov 15, 2020
Person gat get sense in this country...
I graduated with a 3rd class.. so since my early 400l have been thinking of so many ideas bcuz with that result am never thinking of carrying any pali anywhere again... thank God I make up to 200k monthly and am currently serving....
made my money from crypto, pos, and also buy and sell btc.... I bliv by 2021 400k/monthly won’t b a problem by God grace after I expand my pos business across diff places... this life u just have to think smart.. especially this Nigeria... and age shouldn’t downgrade u.... am 23..... only saying this cuz some want to gv up bcuz of their grade in sch... it doesn’t really matter if u think twice... my 2 pos only gv me atleast 90k monthly Without much stress... make most of my money online the pos is just to support and also have physical business

8 Likes

Re: My Candid Advice For Nigerian Graduates With 2.2 by Damian457: 4:37pm On Nov 15, 2020
A concentration camp
Maj196:
Nigeria issa jungle. Do what you gotta do to escape.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Lilian Salami: Profile Of The VC Of UNIBEN (Photos) / Awonusi Victor Olusegun Of UNILAG Nude Photo Scandal: "My Phone Was Stolen" / What You Must Know Before You Apply For HND Programme

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.