Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,664 members, 7,809,514 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 10:46 AM

My Candid Advice For Nigerian Graduates With 2.2 - Education (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / My Candid Advice For Nigerian Graduates With 2.2 (54307 Views)

Uniben Law Student Destiny Ogedegbe, Graduates With First Class, Becomes Second / Hafsat Jalila Adamu Graduates With First Class From American University, Nigeria / Ibu Faith Graduates With Distinction In MSc From University Of Bedfordshire, UK (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Candid Advice For Nigerian Graduates With 2.2 by tensazangetsu20(m): 5:24pm On Nov 15, 2020
Bar1941:

Don't be a pessimist, going into business is part of the solutions to the problem you just highlighted, only if you can look deeper.
The same business the government won't hesitate to kill. Opay no be person business. Border closure killed thousands of businesses all over Nigeria.
Re: My Candid Advice For Nigerian Graduates With 2.2 by Thegamingorca(m): 5:26pm On Nov 15, 2020
Coldie:

Click my profile.

I know somebody way dae Nigeria 5years no work but presently that person dae earn over 1.5m a month.

Na d person house I dae
grin
Re: My Candid Advice For Nigerian Graduates With 2.2 by Thegamingorca(m): 5:27pm On Nov 15, 2020
Coldie:
If u are a 2.2 graduate and u don't know how to do business if u have funds go abroad.

I graduated with a 2.2 only time I ever worked u can't imagine that they were paying me 25k a month. As that money was entering my Hand before I even reach house half don go.

I relocated first job ***k a week. I got 2 jobs over half a million a month and its not even been up to 2 months.

In Nigeria before u get this kind money with 2.2 na with STRONG connections

Strongest of the strong connections grin
Re: My Candid Advice For Nigerian Graduates With 2.2 by Coldie(m): 5:29pm On Nov 15, 2020
Thegamingorca:
grin
Wasup no vex. Na just now I see ur quote many people quote me.

Omen UK dae fine.

1 Like

Re: My Candid Advice For Nigerian Graduates With 2.2 by Coldie(m): 5:30pm On Nov 15, 2020
Thegamingorca:

Strongest of the strong connections grin
I swear cheesy

That means when I finally settle in, it is finished
Re: My Candid Advice For Nigerian Graduates With 2.2 by emmazeey(m): 5:30pm On Nov 15, 2020
This write-up sound absolutely nice but trust me... This is absolutely trash... First class or no first... Nobody is employing anymore base on grade... Most top companies employ you
1... Your skills
2... Experience...
3... Emotional intelligence...
... But nevertheless... You must commit your ways to service.. God first..then man...

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My Candid Advice For Nigerian Graduates With 2.2 by FullBlastLight: 5:32pm On Nov 15, 2020
Rapmoney:

Africans and religion.

God & sit down already!

Why won't we factor God into things?

...except we wanna be arrogant & rebellious!
Re: My Candid Advice For Nigerian Graduates With 2.2 by Aurora44: 5:32pm On Nov 15, 2020
This the best advice for the upcoming graduates of our time. The country is changing drastically.

2 Likes

Re: My Candid Advice For Nigerian Graduates With 2.2 by Hassanmaye(m): 5:33pm On Nov 15, 2020
Enceladus:

Partially true.
Graduating with 2.2 doesn't necessarily mean low IQ !!. I had a lecturer in medical school teaching Anatomy, the guy graduated with 2.2 and he was employed as a lecturer in his first week as a NYSC corper with a pre-contract. They obviously saw something in him that his certificate wasn't showing.

The truth is that the education system is broken. Einstein once said "Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid", and that is exactly what the education system does.

Do they write class of degree in Medicine certificate? I thought they just write bachelor of medicine and surgery, and please does class of degree matters in medicine? I don't think so, once you are certified medical doctor you are good to go.
Re: My Candid Advice For Nigerian Graduates With 2.2 by Thegamingorca(m): 5:35pm On Nov 15, 2020
Hassanmaye:

Do they write class of degree in Medicine certificate? I thought they just write bachelor of medicine and surgery, and please does class of degree matters in medicine? I don't think so, once you are certified medical doctor you are good to go.

He's not an mbbs doctor holder
Re: My Candid Advice For Nigerian Graduates With 2.2 by dlordy100: 5:35pm On Nov 15, 2020
and you think even 2.1 and Master's holders ain't in this WhatsApp group too?

1 Like

Re: My Candid Advice For Nigerian Graduates With 2.2 by MISSCONGENIALITY(f): 5:39pm On Nov 15, 2020
Kinkykinky:

Hmm.

Let's connect!

Email, digits?
Lol. Are you also single?
Oya make we connect sharp sharp. wink
Re: My Candid Advice For Nigerian Graduates With 2.2 by ayusco85(m): 5:40pm On Nov 15, 2020
tensazangetsu20:
Business in an economy that has been shrinking at 6 percent annually for the past 5 years get as E be o.

With this type of mentality it will take God's grace for u to be successful.

3 Likes

Re: My Candid Advice For Nigerian Graduates With 2.2 by DontBullshitMe: 5:40pm On Nov 15, 2020
Adonis86:
You try, but e remain small. Don't neglect the power of God. If you have divine backing, even with a pass you have a good job.

One of my sisters made Pass from a polytechnic, but working as a civil servant today.

In my department, a guy with Pass was retained with a Pass after nysc in a reputable company based on his good character.

In my department, we were three lecturers recently employed, we all graduated with 2.2. I'm talking about a federal university.

So, having God is what matters, in fact I'm promoted ahead of a lady that made First Class in my set working in the same department, because I finished my masters before her.

Advice: Keep chasing your dreams with divine backing, don't be discouraged by the present result or circumstance... There's always light at the end of the tunnel
Substandard University.

2 Likes

Re: My Candid Advice For Nigerian Graduates With 2.2 by lequama10: 5:40pm On Nov 15, 2020
Rapmoney:
In as much as we always try to paint and re-paint realities, they still stare at us in the eyes with the greatest level of confidence or boldness you can think of.

I am using this post to offer a candid advice to Nigerian graduates within the 2.2 grade level, especially, those folks who graduated within the last 2 years. I said this because I should think most of the folks who graduated 5 to 10 years ago would have been able to create something for themselves, whether on a small or large scale.

Graduating with a 2.2 grade should not make you start dwelling on how you did it wrong and what you could have done and not have done.
Your 2.2 grade does not mean you are not intelligent or brilliant. Certificates from Nigerian higher institutions these days have lost their true value and relevance. There is little or no difference between university certificates and cardboard papers or wallpapers. Your 2.2 grade should give you the signal that the labour market is not friendly to you because even the first class and 2.1 graduates are not finding it easy as well. Except you have strong connections, you may never get that dream job of yours with your 2.2 cert. It is the truth. There is no proverbial Good Samaritan anywhere. Stop waiting and act.

ADVICE FOR 2.2 GRADUATES

1. Stop looking for that dream job that is almost nonexistent. Get productive in any small firm that employs you. Even if the salary is not big. Make sure you save aggressively like a mad man. Give yourself few years and start your own business in any lucrative industry you have interest in and passion for. Grow your business diligently and gradually. Make sure your eyes are wide open kokoroko like those of a hawk. No room for distractions from unserious friends. Business first.

2. Humble yourself and learn a good lucrative skill. Nigerian university education is almost like a scam! The country does not possess the industrial capacity to absorb graduates from most of the departments and faculties you fancifully look at in JAMB brochure. Again, without connections, there is no Good Samaritan out there. Go learn a good skill and TRY TO BE VERY GOOD AT IT; it should not even be related to what you studied in school. You should explore other career paths in life.

The Nigerian society does not always believe in 'practicalize what you can do for us to see'. So even if you are a very bright person who graduated with a 2.2 due to some unfortunate circumstances, you may never get that chance to prove your worth or knowledge to get employed in your dream industry. That is how the system is. Yes, it is all messed up you would say. And you are right. The system believes in connections laced with mediocrity and financial gratification.

My candid contribution...

Happy Weekend!
hmm sincerely most times, I really don't know how and what to say to youths nowadays. But most of the times I try sharing my growth stories to peeps, I hope u guys can relate, first I graduated from the Almighty LAUTECH with third class, even had 2years extra only because of a course, I was a frustrated soul then, at this time I have nobody to help only sometimes my GF sometimes I wonder why she even agreed dating me lol, to me I thought I had only one option (yahoo), but I didn't Infact till now I still don't know, so during this my extra I starting learning electrical wiring with all this road side electrician just to get a hang of this, I know how much I suffered just to learn this, after a year went into solar and inverter installations for a year too, mind u I had no help, but miraculously I pay for this trainings, I have a target Infact after training I got no job up to 18months lol, most of my friends even do make jest of me, after much research and going for mentoring Infact I got the mentoring here at NAIRALAND, he's the operation manager for IKEDC, so he shared his stories for me how he worked for then Nepa for 5years without collecting a kobo before he got staffed, he was the one who open my eyes into Automation Engineering, but it's expensive and how will I get 350 for training. But I was determined oo, because I see myself not having a choice, so I ghosted my NYSC paying 10k from 19k every month, while I charge out to find how to gather money, my brother I will give u a hint of one of the things I do, I went into helping someone for charcoal biz thinking I will. Be able to gather the cash, after much of hustle I paid and did the training , Infact then I remember AETI saying they will help us get job lol, But immediately after the training a lot changed, my skills got brighten, I saw clearer and made decisions better, Have had interviews with 2 companies sef who I turned down recently, now to resume this first week November, Infact the man didn't know I had third class, he only asked if I can run most programs, design electrical and my basic skills.. I believe so many of us had chances to make a difference, but we got scared, I was scared too, but I throw my hook so deep , I am still waitin to get the big fish one day oo, I remember so many quited automation because of the PlC Programming lol. Me I no get choice ooo, Infact I have no home to sit down in and wait for morning food.. We will get there we only need to make that different and unique decisions, With my little wins with God's providence I believe I can achieve anything so far my heart is set at it, if u fail in a business, it's one of the criteria of success, For Nigeria u will have to go crazy ooo. I hope I make sense, incaseu need advice on your career u can Holla.. We go reach their.. But still kadupe

15 Likes

Re: My Candid Advice For Nigerian Graduates With 2.2 by lukeosi4life(m): 5:40pm On Nov 15, 2020
What will I say about myself that graduated with third class?

My monthly take home is 200+ after taxes & pension deduction in a reputable company.

Na God do am for me ooo. I no get any connections whatsoever!

5 Likes

Re: My Candid Advice For Nigerian Graduates With 2.2 by ayusco85(m): 5:40pm On Nov 15, 2020
NDSMELODY:
With 1:1, 2:1 or 2:2 let every one pray for GRACE of GOD.

Work hard before praying

1 Like

Re: My Candid Advice For Nigerian Graduates With 2.2 by Hassanmaye(m): 5:42pm On Nov 15, 2020
Honestly the truth if you are any of the professional courses like medicine, pharmacy, architecture, your class of degree doesn't matter at all, what matters is to be a certified professional, but in present day Nigeria if you study single course or educational base certificate then class of degree matters alot.
And please don't be discouraged just because you graduate with third class even pass, just upgrade yourself l.

1 Like

Re: My Candid Advice For Nigerian Graduates With 2.2 by Kinkykinky: 5:43pm On Nov 15, 2020
MISSCONGENIALITY:

Sent you a mail.

Or you wanna drop your digits?
Re: My Candid Advice For Nigerian Graduates With 2.2 by Heryormilekan(m): 5:45pm On Nov 15, 2020
MISSCONGENIALITY:

Happy married life cool

1 Like

Re: My Candid Advice For Nigerian Graduates With 2.2 by Elliot2(m): 5:47pm On Nov 15, 2020
I graduated with a 2:2 in 2016 and I can tell you how difficult life is here in this part of the world. I have been damn jobless since, though I don’t think about it too much these days. I am not one to be too desperate about the good things of life even though the pressure from people around is crazy. My regret is not taking the chance offered by my elder brother to choose between Canada and Australia when he was in the position to move me to my chosen country. My problem is not lack of opportunities but the fact that I miss them, and the restraining issue of my ill health is what keeps me jobless and not necessarily by my grades.

3 Likes

Re: My Candid Advice For Nigerian Graduates With 2.2 by emoney09: 5:48pm On Nov 15, 2020
Anyone can make it education is just an advantage not a barrier, we have masters degree but never work for no one and we became millionaires
Re: My Candid Advice For Nigerian Graduates With 2.2 by Kinkykinky: 5:53pm On Nov 15, 2020
ayusco85:

With this type of mentality it will take God's grace for u to be successful.

grin
Re: My Candid Advice For Nigerian Graduates With 2.2 by Enceladus(m): 6:01pm On Nov 15, 2020
Hassanmaye:

The man studied anatomy. And that also proves my point. No matter how average you scored in your final med exam, once you are above average you are a doctor, no BS ranking. There goes a joke "what do you call a med student that graduated at the bottom of his class or that got C throughout" ?

1 Like

Re: My Candid Advice For Nigerian Graduates With 2.2 by JIMMY1393: 6:02pm On Nov 15, 2020
tensazangetsu20:

Change the topic to all graduates. First class graduates too aren't getting jobs in Nigeria now. Didn't you read the article about the best student of unn who is now back farming at his village. He couldn't even be retained as a graduate assistant. The thing dey touch everybody.

Which type of lie is this...you can lie oh...even google search is not showing me anything
Re: My Candid Advice For Nigerian Graduates With 2.2 by Richdee1(m): 6:02pm On Nov 15, 2020
lequama10:
hmm sincerely most times, I really don't know how and what to say to youths nowadays. But most of the times I try sharing my growth stories to peeps, I hope u guys can relate, first I graduated from the Almighty LAUTECH with third class, even had 2years extra only because of a course, I was a frustrated soul then, at this time I have nobody to help only sometimes my GF sometimes I wonder why she even agreed dating me lol, to me I thought I had only one option (yahoo), but I didn't Infact till now I still don't know, so during this my extra I starting learning electrical wiring with all this road side electrician just to get a hang of this, I know how much I suffered just to learn this, after a year went into solar and inverter installations for a year too, mind u I had no help, but miraculously I pay for this trainings, I have a target Infact after training I got no job up to 18months lol, most of my friends even do make jest of me, after much research and going for mentoring Infact I got the mentoring here at NAIRALAND, he's the operation manager for IKEDC, so he shared his stories for me how he worked for then Nepa for 5years without collecting a kobo before he got staffed, he was the one who open my eyes into Automation Engineering, but it's expensive and how will I get 350 for training. But I was determined oo, because I see myself not having a choice, so I ghosted my NYSC paying 10k from 19k every month, while I charge out to find how to gather money, my brother I will give u a hint of one of the things I do, I went into helping someone for charcoal biz thinking I will. Be able to gather the cash, after much of hustle I paid and did the training , Infact then I remember AETI saying they will help us get job lol, But immediately after the training a lot changed, my skills got brighten, I saw clearer and made decisions better, Have had interviews with 2 companies sef who I turned down recently, now to resume this first week November, Infact the man didn't know I had third class, he only asked if I can run most programs, design electrical and my basic skills.. I believe so many of us had chances to make a difference, but we got scared, I was scared too, but I throw my hook so deep , I am still waitin to get the big fish one day oo, I remember so many quited automation because of the PlC Programming lol. Me I no get choice ooo, Infact I have no home to sit down in and wait for morning food.. We will get there we only need to make that different and unique decisions, With my little wins with God's providence I believe I can achieve anything so far my heart is set at it, if u fail in a business, it's one of the criteria of success, For Nigeria u will have to go crazy ooo. I hope I make sense, incaseu need advice on your career u can Holla.. We go reach their.. But still kadupe

Boss drop ur digits.. Make I Holla u
Re: My Candid Advice For Nigerian Graduates With 2.2 by Nobody: 6:03pm On Nov 15, 2020
MISSCONGENIALITY:
If you like graduate with 1.1,2.2,3.3 or even 9.9, if you can't help yourself, if you don't have someone to help you, and most importantly, if your have not discovered yourself, you are inderp shit.
if you have not discovered yourself and you're suffering, na depression before suicide e go be oh!

1 Like

Re: My Candid Advice For Nigerian Graduates With 2.2 by Richdee1(m): 6:04pm On Nov 15, 2020
lukeosi4life:
What will I say about myself that graduated with third class?

My monthly take home is 200+ after taxes & pension deduction in a reputable company.

Na God do am for me ooo. I no get any connections whatsoever!

Tell us the full story.. How u take get the job. You don't know who you might be helping
Re: My Candid Advice For Nigerian Graduates With 2.2 by Nobody: 6:06pm On Nov 15, 2020
We that made 2_1 have we gotten a job? My advice for anyone in school is to gather connection cause that is what that matters in Nigeria now unless of course God intervene and help you, you are on your own, first class too dey carry file up and down.
Re: My Candid Advice For Nigerian Graduates With 2.2 by Stanleyucee(m): 6:06pm On Nov 15, 2020
Just write one professional exam to back it up.
Re: My Candid Advice For Nigerian Graduates With 2.2 by Gabkosh: 6:07pm On Nov 15, 2020
NDSMELODY:
With 1:1, 2:1 or 2:2 let every one pray for GRACE of GOD.
That is just it bro
Re: My Candid Advice For Nigerian Graduates With 2.2 by lequama10: 6:08pm On Nov 15, 2020
Richdee1:

Boss drop ur digits.. Make I Holla u
o8i6535oooo

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

APC UK Mocks Corpers Who Don't Know Meaning Of 'CCTV' & 'vertebrae' (video) / Chigozie Odum: UNN Lecturer Arrested For Impregnating, Threatening Student / Ebhomielen Ofure Mary Had 7.0 CGPA At The University Of Ibadan

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.