Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,105 members, 7,811,107 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 11:47 PM

We’re Not Sure Of Reopening In 2020 ― ASUU Regrets - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / We’re Not Sure Of Reopening In 2020 ― ASUU Regrets (1254 Views)

53 UI Lecturers’ Salaries Not Paid Since December 2020 – ASUU / No Reopening Of Schools For Now – Presidential Taskforce On COVID-19 / Schools Reopening: FG To Roll Out Policy (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

We’re Not Sure Of Reopening In 2020 ― ASUU Regrets by rollybest(m): 4:41pm On Nov 19, 2020
…Says FG playing with future of Nigerian youths

The Academic Staff Union of Universities, ASUU, has expressed regrets that with the action of the Federal Government that Universities would not resume again this year.
ASUU also stated that FG was playing with future of Nigeria students, adding that the Integrated Payroll and Personnel Information System, IPPIS, cannot curb corruption in the university system as claimed by the government.

This was contained in a statement signed by Comrade Uzo Onyebinama, Zonal Coordinator, ASUU, Port Harcourt zone, Comrade Emmanuel Akpan, Chairperson, Federal University Otuoke (FUO) Comrade Endurance Joseph, Chairperson, Ignatius Ajuru University of Education, Comrade Tonbara Kingdom, Chairperson, Niger Delta University, Wilberforce Island and Comrade Austen Sado, Chairperson, University of Port Harcourt.
Speaking for the zone in Port Harcourt, the zonal coordinator, Onyebinama, sad with the attitude of the Minister of Labour, Chris Ngige, that universities would not be able to resume again in 2020.

The union coordinator said it was painful that universities have lost two academic sessions, explaining that students admitted in this academic season were yet to take their first semester examinations.

He noted that the new set of students were already waiting to be admitted, adding that when school resumed it would be difficult to manage the situation.

He said: “His (Ngige) recent comments on Channels TV is a signal that Universities cannot reopen this 2020 and this government gambling with the future of Nigerian Youths.

“The handwriting has always been on the wall about the reluctance of this government to take necessary steps to ensure that our universities reopen this year.”
He stated that the IPPIS cannot stop corruption in the universities, stating that only Visitation Panels could do so.
Onyebinama said: “IPPIS is not the legal instrument for solving the problem of monumental fraud perpetrated by some administrators of the universities.

“IPPIS taxes rent subsidy, allowances for journals, conferences, hazard etc., as such and for instance, an Associate Professor at the bar pays a tax of about 672 thousand naira per annum.

“IPPIS breaches the due process for enrolment in the national housing scheme. IPPIS deducts pensions from the allowances earlier listed. IPPIS breaches university autonomy. IPPIS breaches the law.
“The legal instrument to probe corruption in the universities is the Visitation Panels. For almost a decade, ASUU has been clamouring for the constitution of visitation panels to federal universities.

“We are told that they are at the point of gazetting the panels for several weeks now. May they will need like another five years to do the gazetting.

He, however, advised the FG to work their talk by showing zero tolerance for corruption, even as he decried the proliferation of universities by state governors who could not sustain existing ones.
He said: “State governments are proliferating universities without adequate funding for already established ones. Most Vice -Chancellors of state universities are at the beck and call of their visitors, unable to take any decision without recourse to their visitors.”

“This struggle is not just for ASUU members. It belongs to the Nigerian people, the masses of this country. We are already down and he that is down has no reason to fear a fall. Let us all stand up for our public universities.”

Source :https://www.vanguardngr.com/2020/11/were-not-sure-of-reopening-in-2020-%e2%80%95-ASUU-regrets/
Re: We’re Not Sure Of Reopening In 2020 ― ASUU Regrets by khingTony(m): 5:52pm On Nov 19, 2020
We are all aware of this

Schools will not resume this year and even early next year with the way things are going, this strike will last 12+ months sad

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: We’re Not Sure Of Reopening In 2020 ― ASUU Regrets by Karlifate: 5:55pm On Nov 19, 2020
Even IF the strike is called off today, we have just 41 days left in 2020, in which the Christmas & the New Years breaks will also take some days from it.

So, it's better to resolve all brouhaha in 2020 & resume back to work in 2021.

BUT the lackadaisical attitude of the Government to the Education Sector, might make this unachievable.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: We’re Not Sure Of Reopening In 2020 ― ASUU Regrets by Premiumwriter: 6:34pm On Nov 19, 2020
Hi

If you are scared of a seller running away with your money when you pay for a product or service online, you might want to consider using my escrow service.

If you are also scared of ending up with sub-standard items or being sent the wrong item with no way to redeem yourself, you should consider my escrow service.

Trust is a necessity for closing any business deal whether online or offline.

My escrow service is here to promote that trust and help both buyers and sellers transact effortlessly and without any fear of getting duped.

As an escrow service provider, I'll be the third-party in any transaction you'll carry out online.

If you are paying for anything online, I'll hold your money in trust. This way your buyers will only get the money when you are satisfied with the items you receive.

As a seller, if you are finding it difficult to convince your customers about the credibility of your business, you might want to ask them to use my escrow service. That way, they will be sure of getting their items and this will facilitate smoother transactions for your business.

My fee is N500 which can be shared by both the buyer and seller. I believe this is a small price to pay for the safety of your funds and trusts.

WhatsApp me on: https:///2347055822849
Re: We’re Not Sure Of Reopening In 2020 ― ASUU Regrets by Buharidgeneral: 10:00pm On Nov 19, 2020
Oro buruku lenu eye
Re: We’re Not Sure Of Reopening In 2020 ― ASUU Regrets by lincsnuel: 10:26am On Nov 20, 2020
Many of my friends will not resume when ASUU eventually calls off the strike.

Many of them have moved on. Some have ventured into business, and other schemes. Many have turned scammers! angry

1 Like

Re: We’re Not Sure Of Reopening In 2020 ― ASUU Regrets by Nobody: 3:44pm On Nov 20, 2020
What is left of 2020 with Christmas and New year break taking two weeks? They should please call of strike in December but resume in 2020. This year is gone already.
Re: We’re Not Sure Of Reopening In 2020 ― ASUU Regrets by Mastakija(m): 4:31pm On Nov 20, 2020
they should not even bother resuming dis year biko

(1) (Reply)

Please I Need Help With This Quantitative Reasoning Question, Please Show Worki / Meet A Student Who Spent 15 Years In One Class / 2021 Kiisi Trust Foundation Ogoni Scholarship

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.