Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,132 members, 7,814,953 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 01:39 AM

Does Your Spirituality Affect The Way You Dress? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Does Your Spirituality Affect The Way You Dress? (2859 Views)

'Atheism And Spirituality' Can The Two Coexist? / Death Of Church Members: How Does Your Church React? / As A Christian, Does Your Dressing Really Matter ? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Does Your Spirituality Affect The Way You Dress? by xgel: 11:55pm On Mar 18, 2011
Does your spirituality affect the way you dress?
Re: Does Your Spirituality Affect The Way You Dress? by yommyuk: 2:17am On Mar 19, 2011
I would put it the other way round

Does the way you dress affect your Spirituality.

Answer: May not affect the person wearing the cloth but may affect those looking at the way one dresses.

A believer ought to dress moderately
Re: Does Your Spirituality Affect The Way You Dress? by Sweetnecta: 2:32am On Mar 19, 2011
^^^^ whats moderate in your tight cloth as if they were painted on your body?

yommy, you have a lot of explanation to give, unless tantinrin is moderate in your mind.
Re: Does Your Spirituality Affect The Way You Dress? by yommyuk: 2:53am On Mar 19, 2011
whats moderate in your tight cloth as if they were painted on your body?
grin

Bros, pls don't turn this thing into a Xtain vs Muslim war o

I come from a CELE background whereby moderate dressing is a requirement. but we live in a society whereby such views are either frown upon or regarded as ancient. I call it "Sign of Times"

The main issue here is whether the way one dresses affects the persons "Spirituality". I will say Yes and No. It depends on the individual. A person may cover themselves from head to toe, and still habor evil intentions in their heart, while one may dress improperly and be an angel at heart. Only God sees the heart.

Therefore I refuse to judge someone based on what they wear.
Re: Does Your Spirituality Affect The Way You Dress? by Sweetnecta: 3:11am On Mar 19, 2011
@yommyuk; there is no xtian and muslim war as i remember on this board. since i registered a heated argument or firm point of view is hardy a war.

war is a hostile fight with intention to terminate the life of the opponent or at least subdue his idea as he is subjected to the term of the victor.

there is no sincerity in an answer that is yes and no at the same time.

what is moderation, except what God Almighty classifies as "MODERATION"?

people say that they are good, except that they forget that "good" in reality is what God Almighty says it is "good".
Re: Does Your Spirituality Affect The Way You Dress? by yommyuk: 3:17am On Mar 19, 2011
@sweetnecta

point taken re: WAR

pls educate me how one's dressing might affect the person's spirituality.
Don't you think that God is more concerned about the contents of ones heart than a pair of tight jeans on a big BUM.
Re: Does Your Spirituality Affect The Way You Dress? by Sweetnecta: 5:30am On Mar 19, 2011
^^^^ tell me if a person who disobeys God in a thing as simple as dressing up or down will obey God in a more complex Commandment, since such a person by his or her dress corrupts others, along with him/herself?

making up your own rule while discarding the rule of God is not a thing that brings benefit. God is not happy with that person, if only on that act.

God is the Sole Object of worship. Worshiping God starts from knowledge of Him; what He wishes that you do.

His Nature.

His Laws and Commandments.

How to approach Him and receive His favors.

If all the goodies or charms/family jewels are displaced for everyone to see, imagine the effect that has on others who are worshiping along with you?

If their hearts waiver from the true worship of God, you have played the devil who distracted them by your bringing out what you should have kept hidden.

Well, if you are worshiping Him in the way that he never Commands you in the first place, your tight clothing is just as bad as your way of worship.

If the heart is bad, manifestation of it to the rest of us who dont know what is in the heart may just be as plain as your clothing.

A truly sincere worshiper of God will not have his or her clothing as if painted on the body. Second skin does not have to be tight.

What God Yardstick for us is what he has Commanded. It is not up to you or i to say what God is looking at, but exactly what He says as Commandment to us. It is our obedience, which the dressing codes.

I hope you do not wear your underpant alone to the public claiming that God is more concerned about the content of the one's heart? The heart may be known by the clothing as God Wills it.
Re: Does Your Spirituality Affect The Way You Dress? by yommyuk: 6:00am On Mar 19, 2011
Sweetnecta:

^^^^ tell me if a person who disobeys God in a thing as simple as dressing up or down will obey God in a more complex Commandment, since such a person by his or her dress corrupts others, along with him/herself?

making up your own rule while discarding the rule of God is not a thing that brings benefit. God is not happy with that person, if only on that act cool.

God is the Sole Object of worship. Worshiping God starts from knowledge of Him; what He wishes that you do cool.

His Nature.

His Laws and Commandments.

How to approach Him and receive His favors.

If all the goodies or charms/family jewels are displaced for everyone to see, imagine the effect that has on others who are worshiping along with you?

If their hearts waiver from the true worship of God, you have played the devil who distracted them by your bringing out what you should have kept hidden.

Well, if you are worshiping Him in the way that he never Commands you in the first place, your tight clothing is just as bad as your way of worship.

If the heart is bad, manifestation of it to the rest of us who dont know what is in the heart may just be as plain as your clothing.

A truly sincere worshiper of God will not have his or her clothing as if painted on the body. Second skin does not have to be tight.

What God Yardstick for us is what he has Commanded. It is not up to you or i to say what God is looking at, but exactly what He says as Commandment to us. It is our obedience, which the dressing codes.

I hope you do not wear your underpant alone to the public claiming that God is more concerned about the content of the one's heart? The heart may be known by the clothing as God Wills it.

Well then, u do have a point and I do agree that  the way a person dresses and presents him/her self in public is worth considering. However there are more important things that the Lord looks at, and setting up a police agency running all over town, arresting people because of what they wear to me is a bit heavy handed.

But to an extend, u do have a point. I won't go as far as what the Taliban require of their women, but I will surely not want my wife dressing around town inappropriately.

@@Sweetnecta, will u go as far as the Taliban?
Re: Does Your Spirituality Affect The Way You Dress? by Sweetnecta: 12:13pm On Mar 19, 2011
there were many things the Thaliban did that i personally believe are against islam. one of them was depriving women of education. yet still others.

my statement in the earlier post was singling out women, but both men and women.

your using your wife as the example without starting from yourself shows that you do not know that men are just as prone to 'inappropriate' dressing, without any amount of lower degree. free your mind. let it be governed by the Laws and Commandments of The One God.

the rest of other aspects of your life will follow the same condition as your mind.
Re: Does Your Spirituality Affect The Way You Dress? by yommyuk: 8:58pm On Mar 19, 2011
Sweetnecta:

there were many things the Thaliban did that i personally believe are against islam. one of them was depriving women of education. yet still others.

my statement in the earlier post was singling out women, but both men and women.

your using your wife as the example without starting from yourself shows that you do not know that men are just as prone to 'inappropriate' dressing, without any amount of lower degree. free your mind. let it be governed by the Laws and Commandments of The One God.

the rest of other aspects of your life will follow the same condition as your mind.

I am actually delighted to know that you do not agree with some of the Thaliban's view in regards to women. Kudos cool But may I asked if you don't mind, what are those views of the Taliban that you agree and endorse in regards to dressing? Let start with the dress code of the women, is that stated in the Quarn? Confirm and give quote pls.

Secondly, In general, most men dress moderately anyway, not by choice but for obvious reasons. It is normally the women that are the guilty party. I am not being sexist, it is just the way it is.

Lastly, concerning the "ONE GOD" that you are advocatiing, don't worry bro, I worship JEHOVAH, the creator of Heaven and Earth. You may choose to worship ALLAH, cool! Your choice! My Choice!

We live in a free world and "ALLAH/JEHOVAH acknowledge that cool
Re: Does Your Spirituality Affect The Way You Dress? by Sweetnecta: 11:22pm On Mar 19, 2011
^^^^^^ The headmasters [AS} of the time of Jehovah [God], have ended their tenure[s].

the only headmaster [AS] of the time of Allah [God] is now, being current from 610 and shall continue to hold that current position till the end of the life of the last man to come on earth. he is the last headmaster for the institution. the manual that he runs the institution with is flawless that it will fit the future as it does fit the present the same way it did fit the past perfectly.

by the way, while Jehovah is not a proper name, like Yommy is, but a less than proper noun like man/husband is. hence, does the word [Jehovah] appear anywhere in the Bible? please show us the verse plainly to read.

note that neither Yahweh, Jehovah [and others] is the Proper Name of God. Afterall, I am Who I am is not a proper Name, you will agree while Allah is definitely a Proper Name which your heart identifies the moment you hear The Word.

in surah azhab [33] ayay [59, we read the following; O Prophet, tell your wives and your daughters and the women of the believers to bring down over themselves [part] of their outer garments. That is more suitable that they will be known and not be abused. And ever is Allah Forgiving and Merciful.

further verses that address men and women alike;
“O children of Adam, We have provided you with garments to cover your bodies, as well as for luxury. But the best garment is the garment of righteousness. These are some of God's signs, that they may take heed.” [Qur'an 7:26]

"Say to the believing men that they should lower their gaze and guard their modesty: that will make for greater purity for them: and Allah is well acquainted with all that they do." [Qur'an 24:30]

hadith about modesty,obviously including your clothing; Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him) said: ‘Faith consists of more than seventy branches. And haya (modesty) is a part of faith.’” [Sahih Bukhari]

when a person differs from the messenger [today's headmaster] [as], the moment i know that he differs, i stop following him on what he differs. i will point out his 'differing' if i can, or at least express it so that those who may be closer to him eventually inform him about it.
Re: Does Your Spirituality Affect The Way You Dress? by yommyuk: 12:42am On Mar 20, 2011
Sweetnecta:

^^^^^^ The headmasters [AS} of the time of Jehovah [God], have ended their tenure[s].

the only headmaster [AS] of the time of Allah [God] is now, being current from 610 and shall continue to hold that current position till the end of the life of the last man to come on earth. he is the last headmaster for the institution. the manual that he runs the institution with is flawless that it will fit the future as it does fit the present the same way it did fit the past perfectly.

by the way, while Jehovah is not a proper name, like Yommy is, but a less than proper noun like man/husband is. hence, does the word [Jehovah] appear anywhere in the Bible? please show us the verse plainly to read.

note that neither Yahweh, Jehovah [and others] is the Proper Name of God. Afterall, I am Who I am is not a proper Name, you will agree while Allah is definitely a Proper Name which your heart identifies the moment you hear The Word.

Jehovah (pronounced /dʒɨˈhoʊvə/) is an anglicized representation of Hebrew יְהֹוָה, a vocalization of the Tetragrammaton יהוה (YHWH), the proper name of the God of Israel in the Hebrew Bible.

The name Jehovah was introduced in about 1270 A.D. by a Roman Catholic Spanish Monk, named Raymundus Martini, in his book Pugeo Fidei (Dagger of Faith). The ancient Hebrews had Yhwh for the sacred name of God, purposely written without vowels. Martini substituted the sacred term for God with the consonants Jhvh (possibly deriving this from the common latin term Jove), he then inserted the vowel points of Adonai or Elohim to contrive the first use of the term Jehovah.

http://christianblogs.christianet.com/1164665153.htm

I attend Celestial Church of Christ and the name revealed by the Holy Spirit to our Pastor and founder SBJ Oshoffa (RIP) was the name “Jehovah” – That is the way it was pronounced, therefore going on about the spelling is irrelevant. As long as it is the God who created the heaven and earth is the one that I call upon, He that has all ears hears me whenever I call upon him. If I wish to call God “My father” who art in heaven, who are you or your godfather Muhammad to judge me on that. All I know is that the God I serve is self-sufficient, self existent, all encompassing, and without limitation. The one who is in the universe, who is not dependent on something else for his existence. He is the one I call upon.  So therefore “OMO IYA” regarding how I called upon my God is none of your business, so BACK OFF O ye accuser!

Again, I am glad you got some quotations to back up your claim concerning dressing. At least I understand where you are coming from and as I said before I agree to such conduct. Likewise I have got some biblical quotation for you to show that inappropriate dressing is not allowed within the Christian community

1 Tim 2:9=10
“And I want women to be modest in their appearance. They should wear decent and appropriate clothing and not draw attention to themselves by the way they fix their hair or by wearing gold or pearl or expensive clothes. For women who claim to be devoted to God should make themselves attractive by the good things they do.”

1 Corin  6:19-20
19 Do you not know that your bodies are temples of the Holy Spirit, who is in you, whom you have received from God? You are not your own; 20 you were bought at a price. Therefore honor God with your bodies

So you see, we too got it going on cool. The main issue is enforcing it within the church and outside world. Some churches do put in force this necessity. Back in the old days, in CCC, a member will be walked out for dressing improperly. Still happens in some churches and I am part of the group in the UK campaigning for its implementation.

So bro on that, we are on the same page.
Re: Does Your Spirituality Affect The Way You Dress? by Sweetnecta: 3:36pm On Mar 20, 2011
@Yommyuk; [Quote]Jehovah (pronounced /dʒɨˈhoʊvə/) is an anglicized representation of Hebrew יְהֹוָה, a vocalization of the Tetragrammaton יהוה (YHWH), the proper name of the God of Israel in the Hebrew Bible.

The name Jehovah was introduced in about 1270 A.D. by a Roman Catholic Spanish Monk, named Raymundus Martini, in his book Pugeo Fidei (Dagger of Faith). The ancient Hebrews had Yhwh for the sacred name of God, purposely written without vowels. Martini substituted the sacred term for God with the consonants Jhvh (possibly deriving this from the common latin term Jove), he then inserted the vowel points of Adonai or Elohim to contrive the first use of the term Jehovah.

http://christianblogs.christianet.com/1164665153.htm

I attend Celestial Church of Christ and[b] the name revealed by the Holy Spirit to our Pastor and founder SBJ Oshoffa (RIP) was the name “Jehovah”[/b] – That is the way it was pronounced, therefore going on about the spelling is irrelevant. As long as it is the God who created the heaven and earth is the one that I call upon, He that has all ears hears me whenever I call upon him. If I wish to call God “My father” who art in heaven, who are you or your godfather Muhammad to judge me on that. All I know is that the God I serve is self-sufficient, self existent, all encompassing, and without limitation. The one who is in the universe, who is not dependent on something else for his existence. He is the one I call upon. So therefore “OMO IYA” regarding how I called upon my God is none of your business, so BACK OFF O ye accuser![/Quote]how do the bold fit or tell a fluid story of a singular purpose? they dont fit and the essence of their message[s] are disjointed.

there is no way Jehovah reminds or resembles Yahweh. if Jehovah was formulated by a monk, obviously Moses, etc and or Jesus will not know it means Yahweh, if any of them hears it. if oshoffa knew the word Jehovah before he got it from the holy ghost, as you said, how great is the revelation, except it may be a confirmation over the name Yahweh, is what you are saying? either it was not much a revelation you see or deviation as we already know that it was a formulation by a spaniard, already? my argument all along.

and the timothy and corinthians verses you quoted, can they be accurate and be accepted over what Jesus actually stated, if they are opposing each other? food for thought and i hope you do not walk about the places barefooted?
Re: Does Your Spirituality Affect The Way You Dress? by yommyuk: 9:25pm On Mar 20, 2011
@ sweetnecta, lets forget about the so called names of God. It is irrelevant to the topic at hane

what are your views on this mode of dressing?

Re: Does Your Spirituality Affect The Way You Dress? by Sweetnecta: 10:20pm On Mar 20, 2011
^^^^^^ if the covering is from the heart in obedience to Allah The Almighty, i am ok with it.

it may bw your desire that they should strip naked, abasing themselves to the level of shameless beasts. that is only your desire.

those who obey God will find satisfying good in the act of obedience.

they sure fair better than an almost nudist colony in the concrete jungle. no wonder it is a jungle in the heart of the city.

no one is shy or bashful anymore,
Re: Does Your Spirituality Affect The Way You Dress? by yommyuk: 6:41am On Mar 21, 2011
Sweetnecta:

^^^^^^ if the covering is from the heart in obedience to Allah The Almighty, i am ok with it.

[s]it may bw your desire that they should strip unclothed, abasing themselves to the level of shameless beasts. that is only your desire[/s].

those who obey God will find satisfying good in the act of obedience.

they sure fair better than an almost nudist colony in the concrete jungle. no wonder it is a jungle in the heart of the city.

no one is shy or bashful anymore (True talk),

ok then, what of if a woman chooses not to cover her face, mouth, nose and ears in public, but cover from her neck to just below the knee cap. Will Allah or u be ok with that?
Re: Does Your Spirituality Affect The Way You Dress? by Joagbaje(m): 6:51am On Mar 21, 2011
God is not concerned about wears. He created man naked . We dress for people. There different dressing for different occasion . You may wear tight swim suit at the beach or swimming pool . But it will be in appropriate to wear it to work. So it's an issue of ethics. It's for man . Not for God.
Re: Does Your Spirituality Affect The Way You Dress? by yommyuk: 11:00am On Mar 21, 2011
So it's an issue of ethics. It's for man . Not for God.
cool
Re: Does Your Spirituality Affect The Way You Dress? by Sweetnecta: 12:45pm On Mar 21, 2011
[Quote]ok then, what of if a woman chooses not to cover her face, mouth, nose and ears in public, but cover from her neck to just below the knee cap. Will Allah or u be ok with that?[/Quote]a person who covers for the wrong reason is not pleasing Allah. he/she is a hypocrite. no one loves hypocrisy. no one.

so, about my saying that i am okay with someone pleasing Allah means that i am happy that it is for the correct reason.

remember that i am nobody, nothing. Only Allah matters. and i said earlier that i will not force anybody to cover even though i will remind the person enough so that it cant be denied that i reminded. pleasing Allah is a choice, obedience to Him.
Re: Does Your Spirituality Affect The Way You Dress? by yommyuk: 9:41pm On Mar 21, 2011
Sweetnecta:

a person who covers for the wrong reason is not pleasing Allah. he/she is a hypocrite. no one loves hypocrisy. no one.

so, about my saying that i am okay with someone pleasing Allah means that i am happy that it is for the correct reason.

remember that [b]i am nobody, nothing. Only Allah matters. and i said earlier that i will not force anybody to cover even though i will remind the person enough so that it cant be denied that i reminded. pleasing Allah is a choice, obedience to Him.[/b]

Ok then, let me rephrase the question; Will Allah be ok with a lady who covers herself from the neck to just below the knee cap? Is that mode of dressing sinful? Back up your answer with the Koran.
Re: Does Your Spirituality Affect The Way You Dress? by Sweetnecta: 10:18pm On Mar 21, 2011
^^^^^ A lady who 'uncovers' that what are not showing are below the neck to above the knees, have disobeyed Allah. the below tells us just in the best and direct manner of the truth about it. some people have argued 'in vain' that there is no prescribed punishment for it. but do we ignore that nudity goes against the command of Allah and think it has no consequence?

in surah azhab [33] ayay [59, we read the following; O Prophet, tell your wives and your daughters and the women of the believers to bring down over themselves [part] of their outer garments. That is more suitable that they will be known and not be abused. And ever is Allah Forgiving and Merciful.

“O children of Adam, We have provided you with garments to cover your bodies, as well as for luxury. But the best garment is the garment of righteousness. These are some of God's signs, that they may take heed.” [Qur'an 7:26]

"Say to the believing men that they should lower their gaze and guard their modesty: that will make for greater purity for them: and Allah is well acquainted with all that they do." [Qur'an 24:30]

hadith about modesty,obviously including your clothing; Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him) said: ‘Faith consists of more than seventy branches. And haya (modesty) is a part of faith.’” [Sahih Bukhari]
Re: Does Your Spirituality Affect The Way You Dress? by yommyuk: 7:05am On Mar 22, 2011
Sweetnecta:

^^^^^ A lady who 'uncovers' that what are not[b] showing are below the neck to above the knees, have disobeyed Allah[/b]. the below tells us just in the best and direct manner of the truth about it. some people have argued 'in vain' that there is no prescribed punishment for it. but do we ignore that nudity goes against the command of Allah and think it has no consequence?

Meaning Allah (GOD) IS HAPPY AS long as a woman covers her bits from neck to the below her knee cap, Great cool

I am starting to enjoy u @sweetnecta. I like your passion. Keep it up. May Allah(God) continue to strengthen you - Amin (Amen) wink

(1) (Reply)

Babylon The Great Is Jerusalem,not America / Juju: Real Or Not? / Would You Accept A Blood Transfusion Against Your Religious Belief?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.