Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,280 members, 7,818,942 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 08:42 AM

FG Offers ₦65 Billion To End ASUU Strike, Exempts ASUU From IPPIS - Education (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / FG Offers ₦65 Billion To End ASUU Strike, Exempts ASUU From IPPIS (44328 Views)

FG Offers Placement To Ukraine-based Nigerian Students Amid ASUU Strike / Strike: We Haven’t Exempted ASUU From IPPIS – FG / ASUU Silent On Meeting To Consider Fg’s Offers (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: FG Offers ₦65 Billion To End ASUU Strike, Exempts ASUU From IPPIS by pepericozi: 12:22am On Nov 21, 2020
Scam alert. Make sure that you collect your pay first. Trust this government NOT.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: FG Offers ₦65 Billion To End ASUU Strike, Exempts ASUU From IPPIS by shadeyinka(m): 12:22am On Nov 21, 2020
HigherEd:

Lol I hope you guys would realize the truth before it becomes late.

The current system where universities fully depend on payouts from the government is unsustainable and would never make the universities competitive or valuable enough to industry. Especially in a country with a surging population yet depleting economy.

As part of comprehensive reform of the Nigerian state. The emphasis on higher education needs to be lowered. Not everyone should need to go to university to amount to anything meaningful in life. People who must go there by virtue of stellar academic records should be offered scholarships.

Why would the ministry of education train with subsidy 2000 zoology students across the nation and only 1% of them end up as zoologist or researchers in Zoology. While the rest end up in banks, telcos, and everyother place where a zoology degree is never ended. How many subsidized degrees yield return on Investment for the Nigerian state. E.. g Inter rel, Physiology, Anatomy, Biochemistry etc? Tbh only strategically important degrees ought to be free in Nigerian schools. E.g Medicine, Nursing, Civil engineering.

Lets focus on our economy and generate enough value for each Nigerian to be self sufficient enough to fund their own education and stop funding unsustainable projects like ASUU.

The FG has completely FAILED!
It is the job of the Universities to produce learned graduates and it is the job of the FG to provide enabling environment to tap those knowledge for the good of the nation.

Unfortunately, the FG is so dumb, it doesn't even know why the higher institutions were set up in the first place.

The Universities are turning out graduates of which you are probably one: tell the FG to tap the Human resources produced.

1 Like

Re: FG Offers ₦65 Billion To End ASUU Strike, Exempts ASUU From IPPIS by seunayantokun(m): 12:25am On Nov 21, 2020
ojun50:
Na only ASUU get this government pass word, NLC just dey mumu

NLC and TUC are extensions of the federal government. Their leaders are the plantings of the chief officer of Aso Rock.

Wait o, FG no be promise and fail? Because na so them dey promise and no dey do am. Na I'm make matter worse like this naa.

1 Like

Re: FG Offers ₦65 Billion To End ASUU Strike, Exempts ASUU From IPPIS by shadeyinka(m): 12:27am On Nov 21, 2020
Ebenezer2021:
after keeping the students to languish at home?
Na God go punish ASUU
So, they should have accepted IPPIS and go back to work while grumbling that the system is not working!?

Isnt the FG the culprit here?

I hope you are not one of our "darling daddy" crew?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: FG Offers ₦65 Billion To End ASUU Strike, Exempts ASUU From IPPIS by shadeyinka(m): 12:29am On Nov 21, 2020
Elsueno:
SO THEY WILL PAY THEM FULL SALARIES for the almost 8 months they SPENT DOING ABSOLUTELY NOTHING.

Will they PAY STUDENTS BACK THE TIME WASTED.

If you are lecturer and you CHOP MONEY FOR MONTHS way u never worked, I SWEAR you are EVIL!
Just hear yourself speak.
You want ASUU to act like NLC and you'll be happy!?

Our darling daddy crew!

1 Like

Re: FG Offers ₦65 Billion To End ASUU Strike, Exempts ASUU From IPPIS by TruthinAction: 12:30am On Nov 21, 2020
65 billion naira is too small for over 90 federal and state Universities. But they will budget over 120 billion naira to feed school children.

1 Like

Re: FG Offers ₦65 Billion To End ASUU Strike, Exempts ASUU From IPPIS by obeyizy(m): 12:55am On Nov 21, 2020
Ha... Make Assu just use d money carry like beta 2 odds!!
Re: FG Offers ₦65 Billion To End ASUU Strike, Exempts ASUU From IPPIS by FELOPH1(m): 4:16am On Nov 21, 2020
Kudos to ASUU

1 Like

Re: FG Offers ₦65 Billion To End ASUU Strike, Exempts ASUU From IPPIS by lkillbrokehoes: 4:35am On Nov 21, 2020
TruthinAction:
65 billion naira is too small for over 90 federal and state Universities. But they will budget over 120 billion naira to feed school children.
To think that senators budget more than 120 million per year
Re: FG Offers ₦65 Billion To End ASUU Strike, Exempts ASUU From IPPIS by Lush100(m): 4:48am On Nov 21, 2020
True sir,
However the current system where politician collect stupendous amount of money for no work done and state with desert that don't like to employ their resources collect allocation from government yet destroy the product of hard working companies generated from one region only to be given heavy VAT allocation from that same company is not just unsustainable but also unacceptable.
Until then ASUU should continue.
When we resolve the former ASUU will resolve the later because by then autonomy will have the same meaning in the dictionary of both the south and the north.

HigherEd:

The current system where universities fully depend on payouts from the government is unsustainable and would never make the universities competitive or valuable enough to industry. Especially in a country with a surging population yet depleting economy.

As part of comprehensive reform of the Nigerian state. The emphasis on higher education needs to be lowered. Not everyone should need to go to university to amount to anything meaningful in life. People who must go there by virtue of stellar academic records should be offered scholarships.

Why would the ministry of education train with subsidy 2000 zoology students across the nation and only 1% of them end up as zoologist or researchers in Zoology. While the rest end up in banks, telcos, and everyother place where a zoology degree is never ended. How many subsidized degrees yield return on Investment for the Nigerian state. E.. g Inter rel, Physiology, Anatomy, Biochemistry etc? Tbh only strategically important degrees ought to be free in Nigerian schools. E.g Medicine, Nursing, Civil engineering.

Lets focus on our economy and generate enough value for each Nigerian to be self sufficient enough to fund their own education and stop funding unsustainable projects like ASUU.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: FG Offers ₦65 Billion To End ASUU Strike, Exempts ASUU From IPPIS by yhemmsy(m): 5:06am On Nov 21, 2020
Join our 6 month comprehensive tutoring for 2021 JAMB & WAEC and be among those who will matriculate next session.
Morning: 9am - 2pm,
Evening: 4pm - 7pm
DE WAYMAKER ACADEMY
35 Akinyele Street, By Akinyele Round About, Aguda, Surulere, Lagos.
Whatsapp: http:///2348030673698

Re: FG Offers ₦65 Billion To End ASUU Strike, Exempts ASUU From IPPIS by xrucifix05(m): 5:16am On Nov 21, 2020
Corrupt lecturers, as if they are not the ones that doctored election results as collation and returning officers. Putting same corrupt politicians in office.
Re: FG Offers ₦65 Billion To End ASUU Strike, Exempts ASUU From IPPIS by Agbegbaorogboye: 5:21am On Nov 21, 2020
HigherEd:

It's this thinking of yours that ultimately led Nigeria to become unproductive. If only we utilise our inter rel students well, we wouldn't be having the shame and embarrassment we're having in international circles.
Physiology nko, anatomy, you even mentioned biochemistry when we're in the middle of a pandemic and our contribution to the world's effort has been -ve, net borrowers and receivers of donations while offering nothing to further knowledge on the virus. The vaccine is out and our leaders have lifted the customary bowl to beg for our share of the vaccine. This is while we have been the least affected and therefore in the best position possible to have come up with therapeutics or a vaccine.
We need to fund much more of R& D and not just education for the sake of it and believe me, Medicine, Nursing Civil engineering are not core research disciplines.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: FG Offers ₦65 Billion To End ASUU Strike, Exempts ASUU From IPPIS by survivor10(m): 6:03am On Nov 21, 2020
Doradorwa:
I'm glad for Federal University students o grin grin

Lol... If you know, you know
Re: FG Offers ₦65 Billion To End ASUU Strike, Exempts ASUU From IPPIS by sirdick17: 6:07am On Nov 21, 2020
TONYE001:
It would soon be over.

FG and ASUU should work up a long lasting solution to end these incessant interruptions of academic activities.

Some of us don too tey for school, we don tire.

They will still find some reason to embark on strike very soon, just gv them six months to one year
Re: FG Offers ₦65 Billion To End ASUU Strike, Exempts ASUU From IPPIS by ehinmowo: 6:18am On Nov 21, 2020
TONYE001:
It would soon be over.

FG and ASUU should work up a long lasting solution to end these incessant interruptions of academic activities.

IPPIS was a legitimate scam. My friend who is a lecturer told me that IPPIS deducts 5k unexplained from his salary every month. His both parents are lecturers. They deduct money from their salary too.

D crooks were collecting tax from lecturers. Only God knows the account those monies are going into.

1 Like

Re: FG Offers ₦65 Billion To End ASUU Strike, Exempts ASUU From IPPIS by janvier27(m): 6:26am On Nov 21, 2020
ASUU leadership couldn't be bought. Lecturers are not as bad as being painted. Most are modest, contented and patriotic.

1 Like

Re: FG Offers ₦65 Billion To End ASUU Strike, Exempts ASUU From IPPIS by Tilykay(m): 6:44am On Nov 21, 2020
jlinkd78:
Take it or leave it ASUU is the only labour union in this country everyother is simply where belle face. Congratulations ASUU for being hard and ruthless on their scrotum

For using students as the collateral damage here abi. We can not get it right as a country until all hand is on deck. You would not be saying, make a difference in one sector and the others are in shambles.
Re: FG Offers ₦65 Billion To End ASUU Strike, Exempts ASUU From IPPIS by Gee64: 7:17am On Nov 21, 2020
N40 billion to finance ASUU?

You see why I said ASUU was selfish in their demands?

That money could have been used to finance Infrastructural projects in the Universities!

Nonsense! These people only use the students as baits to garner public sympathy when in actual fact, they are after their own selfish interest.

Are these not the 'Copy and Paste' teachers who taught us to dwell in the Western Culture that completely alienated and destroyed us today?

I beg, teacher, don't teach me nonsense!

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: FG Offers ₦65 Billion To End ASUU Strike, Exempts ASUU From IPPIS by Tilykay(m): 7:29am On Nov 21, 2020
Eagle360:
No,
NMA know how to hold FG scrotum. The only union that fight and win as regard theirs welfares

You don't have patients as collateral as their health deteriorates in the hospital and thier demands being met (NMA) and they we hail them.
As Also (ASUU), who use the students as baits.

Who suffers? the students of course.
Who suffers? the patients of course.

A true and real unionism, would not hamper the progress of anyone or stop treating patients. But rather enforce their greivinances through collaborative approach, the cilvil society and the law as they carry out their duties partially.

Not this one, you sit at home, collecting salary and you say you are striking at the detriment of the students, and patients, and you are here hailing them.

1 Like

Re: FG Offers ₦65 Billion To End ASUU Strike, Exempts ASUU From IPPIS by Kaylet: 7:54am On Nov 21, 2020
Fear of protest
Re: FG Offers ₦65 Billion To End ASUU Strike, Exempts ASUU From IPPIS by Udyawanga: 8:23am On Nov 21, 2020
ASUU is powerful. Kudos for achieving ur aim. IPPIS is a ploy from federal govt to over tax people

1 Like

Re: FG Offers ₦65 Billion To End ASUU Strike, Exempts ASUU From IPPIS by Nitah1: 8:34am On Nov 21, 2020
TONYE001:
It would soon be over.

I am still an undergraduate at 39.
Re: FG Offers ₦65 Billion To End ASUU Strike, Exempts ASUU From IPPIS by Nitah1: 8:36am On Nov 21, 2020
Tilykay:

You don't have patients as collateral as their health deteriorates in the hospital and thier demands being met (NMA) and they we hail them.

A true and real unionism, would not hamper the progress of anyone or stop treating patients. But rather enforce their greivinances through collaborative approach, the cilvil society and the law as they carry out their duties partially.

Not this one, you sit at home, collecting salary and you say you are striking at the detriment of the students, and patients, and you are here hailing them.
You are yet to make any sense....kontinue we the listing.
Re: FG Offers ₦65 Billion To End ASUU Strike, Exempts ASUU From IPPIS by Amegwa25: 8:48am On Nov 21, 2020
DontBullshitMe:

I agree.

Succinctly delivered.
I completely agree with your submission.
The time for our country to invest technical science instead of theritical science is now
Re: FG Offers ₦65 Billion To End ASUU Strike, Exempts ASUU From IPPIS by EAKeffective: 8:53am On Nov 21, 2020
We're seem to be at the end of the tunnel
Re: FG Offers ₦65 Billion To End ASUU Strike, Exempts ASUU From IPPIS by Pollie23(m): 9:18am On Nov 21, 2020
Fifthwave:

Nigerian public universities will not improve in anyway. ASUU only fights for their pocket and not for the improvement of our universities.

Did you just say that? I can't believe this! #SMH What's your basis for such a statement? Oh, I get it: your opinion. But, of course, you're entitled to it. But try to base your opinions on facts. #Bravo!
Re: FG Offers ₦65 Billion To End ASUU Strike, Exempts ASUU From IPPIS by HigherEd: 9:30am On Nov 21, 2020
Agbegbaorogboye:

It's this thinking of yours that ultimately led Nigeria to become unproductive. If only we utilise our inter rel students well, we wouldn't be having the shame and embarrassment we're having in international circles.
Physiology nko, anatomy, you even mentioned biochemistry when we're in the middle of a pandemic and our contribution to the world's effort has been -ve, net borrowers and receivers of donations while offering nothing to further knowledge on the virus. The vaccine is out and our leaders have lifted the customary bowl to beg for our share of the vaccine. This is while we have been the least affected and therefore in the best position possible to have come up with therapeutics or a vaccine.
We need to fund much more of R& D and not just education for the sake of it and believe me, Medicine, Nursing Civil engineering are not core research disciplines.

No one said universities should stop offering those disciplines. I'm saying there's no market fit with it. You've been producing biochemistry students with subpar education for the past three decades. How have they benefitted the Nigerian state?

What you have are many aspirational degrees that are not in demand from the private sector at this moment. Especially in the sciences.
Until foundational issues are corrected with the non robust economy a number of people would study with govt subsidy and end up doing something totally different.
Re: FG Offers ₦65 Billion To End ASUU Strike, Exempts ASUU From IPPIS by HigherEd: 9:44am On Nov 21, 2020
Nchenches:

You never had stellar credentials when you got into the university, considering what and how you wrote.
Most of Nigeria shall be under-educated if you are made Minister of Education or even president of Nigeria.

The more the population in a society get higher education, the more governable the society becomes.
Higher education is the key to development of a country.

Many Nigerians who received university education in Nigeria, however poor the university facilities, excel in the developed countries in their jobs.

Scholarship to only stellar students to go to university is not it. Students loans to university students is it.
You are a simple slowpoke.

I shouldn't dignify your poorly worded argument laced with insult. But I would do so for the sake of other people who needs to learn.

The purpose of higher education is tripartite. Teaching, Research and Community development. The purpose of setting up universities is not to enroll every teenager into the university system.

The real academic education which needs to be free or with massive subsidy is primary and secondary education. If both are done well then major parts of the population can proceed to do certain jobs.

If you graduate with a BSc in Industrial Chemistry from say Unilag and end up as customer agent in UBA. We can reliably say you relied on skills provided during your primary and secondary education to do that job.

At least 60% of people who graduated from varsities are doing things they were not trained in the University for. We could just ignore that fact, unless it is costing the country several billions annually.

1 Like

Re: FG Offers ₦65 Billion To End ASUU Strike, Exempts ASUU From IPPIS by HigherEd: 9:55am On Nov 21, 2020
faceURfront:

I see some sense in what you are saying, but your last statement is not logical. That conclusion does not reflect all you have said initially. What does "... stop funding unsustainable projects like ASUU" mean? I didn't know ASUU is a project. ASUU has been clamouring for revitalization of the university system and a stop to proliferation of universities which end up not being adequately funded; is that (the call) what you want FG to stop or something else? I don't get. You need to be clear on some of your assertions. The other thing is their EARNED allowance; are you suggesting they should not be paid what they are being owed? Besides these two things, is there any ASUU project I am not aware of?

ASUU is referred to as a project because they represent what we spend majority of the education budget upon.

The problem here is that the problem in higher education highlighted by ASUU goes beyond any practicable solution govt can offer giving the prevailing and projected circumstances the nation is facing and would face.

The govt has spent over a trillion on higher education in the past decade, but can not point out any tangible thing it has done for the nation.

The govt carries about 90% of the burden of the cost of higher education. Students carry less than 5% of the cost. This arrangement would not work as varsities continue to need lots of money to make the system work.
Re: FG Offers ₦65 Billion To End ASUU Strike, Exempts ASUU From IPPIS by Eagle360(m): 10:24am On Nov 21, 2020
Tilykay:

blame the federal government that priorities terrorist than Nigeria workers.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Anambra Schools Resume With Strict COVID-19 Safety Checks (Photos) / My Jamb Results :i'm Crying / FCT Teachers Chase Out Pupils From Classrooms (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.