Welcome, Guest: Join Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 2,594,969 members, 6,019,728 topics. Date: Friday, 27 November 2020 at 09:18 PM

On The Issue Of Tithe - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / On The Issue Of Tithe (55 Views)

The Most Important Type of Tithe / Pastor Wole Oladiyun: Payment Of Tithe Is For Every Christian / Daddy Freeze To Pastor Adeboye: "Pope Drinks Beer And Doesn't Pay Tithe" (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

On The Issue Of Tithe by GforGee: 9:55am On Nov 22
The law
Malachi 3:8,10 KJV
Will a man rob God? Yet ye have robbed me. But ye say, Wherein have we robbed thee? In tithes and offerings. [10] Bring ye all the tithes into the storehouse, that there may be meat in mine house, and prove me now herewith, saith the Lord of hosts, if I will not open you the windows of heaven, and pour you out a blessing, that there shall not be room enough to receive it.

Who should bring it and who should take it?
The Israelites bring it and the Levites (priests) take it.
Numbers 18:26 KJV
Thus speak unto the Levites, and say unto them, When ye take of the children of Israel the tithes which I have given you from them....

Why should they give it and why the Levites(Priests) shall take it
They shall give it and the Levites take it because:
1. They (the Levites) have no inheritance (no farm, livestock or business).Numbers 18:24 KJV [24] But the tithes of the children of Israel, which they offer as an heave offering unto the Lord, I have given to the Levites to inherit: therefore I have said unto them, Among the children of Israel they shall have no inheritance.
2. They are busy all day and all year round with the service of the tabernacle.Numbers 18:21 KJV
And, behold, I have given the children of Levi all the tenth in Israel for an inheritance, for their service which they serve, even the service of the tabernacle of the congregation.
3. They have to give themselves to the law of the Lord.
2Chronicles 31:4 AMP
He commanded the people living in Jerusalem to give the portion due the priests and Levites, that they might [be free to] give themselves to the Law of the Lord.

Who was entitled to tithe but didn't collect
1. Jesus
He was recognised by a ruling member of the priesthood(Pharisee) as a teacher
John 3:1-2 KJV
There was a man of the Pharisees, named Nicodemus, a ruler of the Jews: [2] The same came to Jesus by night, and said unto him, Rabbi, we know that thou art a teacher come from God: for no man can do these miracles that thou doest, except God be with him.

Jesus did the work of the teachers, priests, pharisees which was to teach the word of God, and He did it for free. (Matthew 10:8 KJV
Heal the sick, cleanse the lepers, raise the dead, cast out devils: freely ye have received, freely give.)
He (Jesus) had His own job with which He worked and fed Himself
Mark 6:3 KJV
Is not this the carpenter, the son of Mary....

So Jesus didn't collect tithe from anyone despite that He is entitled to receive of the altar because He ministered the altar. 1 Cor. 9:13. And He also warned His disciples to give freely what they have received (Matthew 10:7-8 KJV
And as ye go, preach, saying, The kingdom of heaven is at hand. [8] Heal the sick, cleanse the lepers, raise the dead, cast out devils: freely ye have received, freely give.)
2. Paul
Paul says that he is entitled to reap(collect) from the believers according to the law, but he wouldn't receive anything from them so that he can teach the truth without holding back.
1 Corinthians 9:11-13 KJV
If we have sown unto you spiritual things, is it a great thing if we shall reap your carnal things? [12] If others be partakers of this power over you, are not we rather? Nevertheless we have not used this power; but suffer all things, lest we should hinder the gospel of Christ. [13] Do ye not know that they which minister about holy things live of the things of the temple? and they which wait at the altar are partakers with the altar?

And he let them know that he works with his own hands to feed himself.
Acts 20:34 KJV
Yea, ye yourselves know, that these hands have ministered unto my necessities, and to them that were with me.
3. The Apostles
Acts 6:1-4 KJV
And in those days, when the number of the disciples was multiplied, there arose a murmuring of the Grecians against the Hebrews, because their widows were neglected in the daily ministration. [2] Then the twelve called the multitude of the disciples unto them, and said, It is not reason that we should leave the word of God, and serve tables. [3] Wherefore, brethren, look ye out among you seven men of honest report, full of the Holy Ghost and wisdom, whom we may appoint over this business. [4] But we will give ourselves continually to prayer, and to the ministry of the word.
The Apostles washed their hands off finances, how could they have collected tithe from anyone. We even know that Apostle Peter was a Fisherman Matthew 4:18

Jesus, the Apostles, Paul, all preached the Gospel for free, receiving nothing of any man. They spoilt the business of collecting anything of the temple, despite that they ministered of the temple. 1 Cor. 9:13
Therefore, if anyone (pastors and Co) desire to take tithe, he must be ready to do those works as the Levites. Except that no one offers sacrifices anymore, Jesus has offered one and final sacrifice which atones for our sins, forever Hebrews 9:12 KJV
Neither by the blood of goats and calves, but by his own blood he entered in once into the holy place, having obtained eternal redemption for us.
Hebrews 10:10,12 KJV
By the which will we are sanctified through the offering of the body of Jesus Christ once for all. [12] But this man, after he had offered one sacrifice for sins for ever, sat down on the right hand of God;

So, if we are to work for our salvation by offering sacrifices and tithing, then Jesus's sacrifice is a waste. We cannot therefore boast of our salvation by the works of our hands.
Romans 3:25,27 AMP
whom God displayed publicly [before the eyes of the world] as a [life-giving] sacrifice of atonement and reconciliation (propitiation) by His blood [to be received] through faith. This was to demonstrate His righteousness [which demands punishment for sin], because in His forbearance [His deliberate restraint] He passed over the sins previously committed [before Jesus’ crucifixion]. 27 Then what becomes of [our] boasting? It is excluded [entirely ruled out, banished]. On what principle? On [the principle of good] works? No, but on the principle of faith.

The real salvation question now is:
Would you freely give what you have (without measure) for the growth of the church
Acts 2:44,45 AMP
44 And all those who had believed [in Jesus as Savior] were together and had all things in common [considering their possessions to belong to the group as a whole]. 45 And they began selling their property and possessions and were sharing the proceeds with all [the other believers], as anyone had need.

Or would you rather subject yourself to the burden of the law, giving and grumbling?
Remember, God loves a cheerful giver.
2 Corinthians 9:7 KJV
Every man according as he purposeth in his heart, so let him give ; not grudgingly, or of necessity(compulsion): for God loveth a cheerful(joyful) giver.

Jesus is Lord, we win.
Re: On The Issue Of Tithe by Jones4190(m): 2:48pm On Nov 22
first of all Jesus was not qualified to receive tithe, he was not from levi, secondly only matthew that was qualified among the disciples of Jesus to receive tithe because he was from levi but there is no record of where he received tithe in the bible.
the present church don't need to tithe because
1. TITHING WAS A PART OF THE LAW OF MOSES; BELIEVERS ARE NOT UNDER THE LAW.

Romans, Galatians, and other New Testament passages make it clear that Christians are not under the law of Moses. That does not mean that we are lawless, because we are under the law of Christ (1 Cor. 9:20-21; James 1:25; 2:8, 12; Rom. 13:8-10). Those aspects of the Mosaic law that reflect the moral character of God are valid under the New Covenant and are repeated as commands in the New Testament. But the church is never commanded to tithe.

2. Tithes were given to the Levites and priests, but there are no Levites and priests in the new covenant. 

Levites and priests were tied to the sacrificial system of the old covenant. Now all believers are priests (1 Pet. 2:9; Rev. 1:6; 5:10; 20:6), with Jesus as our Melchizedekian high priest (Heb. 7).

I will come back to talk more about this but let me tell you something if you are still paying tithe or receiving tithe you should not forget the other mosaic law too

1 Like

Re: On The Issue Of Tithe by GforGee: 6:02pm On Nov 23
@Jones4190
You just explained again everything I was trying to say in your own words. May God help us with the wisdom to understand what we have in Him through Christ Jesus. Philemon 1:6
What I was explaining in the article is that tithing is a thing of the past. I have seen people that won't go to church because they are broke. The church has unfortunately subjected them to bringing money, so because of shame, these people don't go to church, thereby missing the fellowship of the saints. May God have mercy on pastors.
Jesus is Lord. We win.

Pass the next person a crumb and a drop, and the world would be great.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

If Only Our Political Leaders Recognize This Truth! / Before You Sleep, Meditate And Pray With This / New Way To Live

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2020 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 92
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.