Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,324 members, 7,815,635 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 03:43 PM

US, UK, Canada, South Africa; 40 Countries Experiencing A Recession In 2020 - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / US, UK, Canada, South Africa; 40 Countries Experiencing A Recession In 2020 (674 Views)

Clem Agba: We Are Heading For Second Recession In Four Years / Nigeria Faces Worst Recession In 40 Years – World Bank / Nigeria Heading Into Worst Recession In 30 Years –IMF (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

US, UK, Canada, South Africa; 40 Countries Experiencing A Recession In 2020 by Stalwert: 11:06am On Nov 22, 2020
If the world were to play a game, and the convener of the game says “raise up your hand if your country has been in a recession in 2020,” more than half of the hands in the world will be up.

Advertisement
The other half with their hands down will be led by China — a country with nearly 20 percent of the world’s population. Of the top 10 most populous countries, only Bangladesh and China are likely to avoid a recession in 2020.

The Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation captured it well when it said in its 2020 Goalkeepers report that “the COVID-19 financial loss is twice as great as the ‘Great Recession’ of 2008. The last time these many countries were in recession at once was in 1870, literally two lifetimes ago”.

When this report was released in September, 2020, Nigeria was yet to officially enter into a recession, but the signs were there, and very clear that the rest of the world already projected one. On Saturday, the National Bureau of Statistics (NBS) officially announced the GDP numbers.

Advertisement
The question then is what countries have slid into recessions in 2020, and what countries are strong — or protected — enough to stave off a recession.

According to S&P, of the 34 economies in the world with a GDP of more than $200 billion, only three of them did not report a recession — China, Chile, and Sweden. Chile and Sweden were on the brink of recession, but China has been growing — despite the pandemic.

Chile has a history of staving off recessions; it was one of the countries that beat the 2008 global economic crisis, expanding by over 3 percent. But the country’s central bank has said it will go into a recession in 2020.

Advertisement
Many other countries are said to be experiencing a recession — but cannot have not yet called one because the data has not been completely collated.

TheCable brings you a list of countries in recession:

United States
Japan
United Kingdom
India
Brazil
Russia
South Africa
Austria
Germany
Switzerland
Belgium
Canada
Denmark
Estonia
Finland
Hungary
Ireland
Italy
Latvia
Lithuania
Mexico
Netherlands
Norway
Romania
Spain
Nigeria
Peru
Turkey
Israel
Poland
Czech Republic
Thailand
Singapore
Malaysia
South Korea
Australia
Portugal
France
Indonesia
Hong Kong

https://www.thecable.ng/us-uk-canada-south-africa-here-are-40-countries-experiencing-a-recession-in-2020/amp

lalasticala mynd44, so that people are better educated

1 Like 1 Share

Re: US, UK, Canada, South Africa; 40 Countries Experiencing A Recession In 2020 by Simplyleo: 11:06am On Nov 22, 2020
But according to lamidi cownu urine drinking ipob pigs, recession has never occurred anywhere in the universe except the "zoo" under the leadership of Sudanese jubrin.

I understand processions, fasting and night vigils are presently ongoing in our online country so the votes of Americans can be upturned in favour of Trump.

It is expected that Donaldchukwu Trump will remove the Sudanese jubrin from the "zoo" and actualize our only country.

7 Likes 4 Shares

Re: US, UK, Canada, South Africa; 40 Countries Experiencing A Recession In 2020 by Mhurfhy(m): 11:07am On Nov 22, 2020
Why is Nigeria not included?

The guy above me is sick and need help.
Re: US, UK, Canada, South Africa; 40 Countries Experiencing A Recession In 2020 by Yenefer(f): 11:09am On Nov 22, 2020
And the hateful children...... Mtwss useless people. Nigeria will be great

5 Likes 4 Shares

Re: US, UK, Canada, South Africa; 40 Countries Experiencing A Recession In 2020 by Stalwert: 11:10am On Nov 22, 2020
Mhurfhy:
Why is Nigeria not included?

Use your hands and write it.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: US, UK, Canada, South Africa; 40 Countries Experiencing A Recession In 2020 by inoki247: 11:11am On Nov 22, 2020
List of develop country nko...
Re: US, UK, Canada, South Africa; 40 Countries Experiencing A Recession In 2020 by Stalwert: 11:11am On Nov 22, 2020
32two:
[s][/s]

E peppermint am.

4 Likes 4 Shares

Re: US, UK, Canada, South Africa; 40 Countries Experiencing A Recession In 2020 by helinues: 11:12am On Nov 22, 2020
sad

Buhari must probably be responsible for the other countries sliding into recession.

That's in Pdp and Ipob's miscreants voice ,who have been jubilating about Nigeria's case just to justify their wish for this current government.

God pass una

5 Likes 4 Shares

Re: US, UK, Canada, South Africa; 40 Countries Experiencing A Recession In 2020 by omowolewa: 11:16am On Nov 22, 2020
If nothing went wrong with the Rice development project inherited from previous Administration and APC kept their promises on reviving the refineries, NIGERIA has no business with recession.
Re: US, UK, Canada, South Africa; 40 Countries Experiencing A Recession In 2020 by omenka(m): 11:16am On Nov 22, 2020
For me, I'm simply gonna go round and try to collect all the monies owed me by debtors before the crunch tightens even harder.

I no fit shout.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: US, UK, Canada, South Africa; 40 Countries Experiencing A Recession In 2020 by Stalwert: 11:18am On Nov 22, 2020
That FG is still able to pay salary in this covid 19 catastrophe is nothing short of a miracle, hopefully, we will make it through this with all the intervention to support SMEs and other projects going on.

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: US, UK, Canada, South Africa; 40 Countries Experiencing A Recession In 2020 by Stalwert: 11:19am On Nov 22, 2020
omenka:
For me, I'm simply gonna go round and try to collect all the monies owed me by debtors before the crunch tightens even harder.

I no fit shout.

Lol grin lending money to people in Nigeria is very stressful.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: US, UK, Canada, South Africa; 40 Countries Experiencing A Recession In 2020 by Brooklynsouth(f): 11:20am On Nov 22, 2020
Nigeria fighting tough to compare itsself with countries experience difficulties .when will Nigeria compare it's roads, health care, economy with the above mentioned countries .I fucking hate that country .until you leave that country to elsewhere you won't know the hellfire you are in coupled with two other tribes that like suffering and smiling especially the one in the wastern part of the zoo

2 Likes

Re: US, UK, Canada, South Africa; 40 Countries Experiencing A Recession In 2020 by Brooklynsouth(f): 11:24am On Nov 22, 2020
32two:
[s][/s]
your harlot mother rule 1
helinues see what nairaland has reduced you
Re: US, UK, Canada, South Africa; 40 Countries Experiencing A Recession In 2020 by Simplyleo: 11:25am On Nov 22, 2020
omenka:

I no fit shout.
Big boss, abeg collect am sharp sharp, convert to the currency of any country less hit by the recession such as dollars (the US has buffer) and save in ur domiciliary acc or under ur mattress.

I did same the last time, though lately and it paid off. Imagine buying dollars at 340/$ and selling at 485/$.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: US, UK, Canada, South Africa; 40 Countries Experiencing A Recession In 2020 by omenka(m): 11:27am On Nov 22, 2020
Stalwert:

Lol grin lending money to people in Nigeria is very stressful.
Have used vigilantes, yet they keep telling stories after stories of dead mothers, dead relatives, burials, wife's operation, etc. Always one pathetic story after another.

Seems confiscation of properties is now the only option left.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: US, UK, Canada, South Africa; 40 Countries Experiencing A Recession In 2020 by omenka(m): 11:30am On Nov 22, 2020
Simplyleo:

Big boss, abeg collect am sharp sharp, convert to the currency of any country less hit by the recession such as dollars (the US has buffer) and save in ur domiciliary acc or under ur mattress.

I did same the last time, though lately and it paid off. Imagine buying dollars at 340/$ and selling at 485/$.

Not a bad idea at all. Thanks Capo. wink

1 Like 1 Share

Re: US, UK, Canada, South Africa; 40 Countries Experiencing A Recession In 2020 by Mhurfhy(m): 11:31am On Nov 22, 2020
Stalwert:

Use your hands and write it.

May the condition of this country be reflected in your life.
Re: US, UK, Canada, South Africa; 40 Countries Experiencing A Recession In 2020 by crochetspur: 11:31am On Nov 22, 2020
Arggggh!
Re: US, UK, Canada, South Africa; 40 Countries Experiencing A Recession In 2020 by Stalwert: 11:35am On Nov 22, 2020
omenka:
Have used vigilantes, yet they keep telling stories after stories of dead mothers, dead relatives, burials, wife's operation, etc. Always one pathetic story after another.

Seems confiscation of properties is now the only option left.

I remember one saying which goes like this " if I borrow money I get mad if I don't borrow you, you get mad, better you get mad than I get mad!"

Truly, on top your money someone will gossip your matter and paint you in bad light. Sadly most debtors put paying back the money owed last on their list of expenses.

Abeg dey watch Judge Judy, you will come to see how amazing people are in this world.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: US, UK, Canada, South Africa; 40 Countries Experiencing A Recession In 2020 by Barka00(m): 11:37am On Nov 22, 2020
if US don't go on lockdown there won't be any recession
Re: US, UK, Canada, South Africa; 40 Countries Experiencing A Recession In 2020 by Coneheadyutes(m): 11:38am On Nov 22, 2020
China virus.
Re: US, UK, Canada, South Africa; 40 Countries Experiencing A Recession In 2020 by Golan007: 11:39am On Nov 22, 2020
Brooklynsouth:
Nigeria fighting tough to compare itsself with countries experience difficulties .when will Nigeria compare it's roads, health care, economy with the above mentioned countries .I fucking hate that country .until you leave that country to elsewhere you won't know the hellfire you are in coupled with two other tribes that like suffering and smiling especially the one in the wastern part of the zoo

Brooklyn Abala-ibeme south.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: US, UK, Canada, South Africa; 40 Countries Experiencing A Recession In 2020 by zeusdgrt(m): 11:42am On Nov 22, 2020
Apc news by 30k apc e rat with multiple account given to naija platform to spread propaganda that we not only the one in recession that is global grin

2 Likes

Re: US, UK, Canada, South Africa; 40 Countries Experiencing A Recession In 2020 by omenka(m): 11:45am On Nov 22, 2020
Stalwert:

I remember one saying which goes like this " if I borrow money I get mad if I don't borrow you, you get mad, better you get mad than I get mad!"

Truly, on top your money someone will gossip your matter and paint you in bad light. Sadly most debtors put paying back the money owed last on their list of expenses.
One took my money. Wrote all the terms of agreement on his own, TO HIS OWN CONVENIENCE, we both signed.

Just 600k. Was meant to repay in four months, sadly, this is TWO YEARS since then, yet dude's owing 400k!! He has bought two cars since then, right under my nose!!

Friends take undue advantage of my meekness, that's the truth. If I use police arrest am now, dem go say I wicked. It is just frustrating.

The other one, a lady, just 180k. This is over 9months, yet not even a penny has she returned. Promised at the point of requesting for it she'd return it in three months.

Got 12 solid debtors. And I must COLLECT starting next week. Let heavens fall.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: US, UK, Canada, South Africa; 40 Countries Experiencing A Recession In 2020 by monarck: 11:50am On Nov 22, 2020
See this one's juxtaposing Nigeria's recession with the developed world. SMH why not compare the stimulus packages of these countries with that of naija. Recession in Nigeria means suffer suffer for ordinary citizens with no government support
Re: US, UK, Canada, South Africa; 40 Countries Experiencing A Recession In 2020 by Simplyleo: 12:00pm On Nov 22, 2020
monarck:
See this one's juxtaposing Nigeria's recession with the developed world. SMH why not compare the stimulus packages of these countries with that of naija. Recession in Nigeria means suffer suffer for ordinary citizens with no government support

Inferiority complex is when a Black man thinks Donald Trump's poo is more delicious than his/her mother's African dish.

Nigeria is not even in the list, meaning her situation is not as bad.

2 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (Reply)

Kalu Arrives Enugu With Gulfstream G650 To Celebrate Friend’s Birthday / 2nd Niger Bridge: Ngige Narrates How Obj, Yaradua & GEJ Dribbled SE For 16yrs / Herdsmen: Buhari Asks Police To Shoot Sunday Igboho, Followers On Sight

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.