Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,345 members, 7,819,231 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 01:06 PM

I'd Love To Buy German Shepherd: Advice Needed - Pets - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Pets / I'd Love To Buy German Shepherd: Advice Needed (1463 Views)

Advice Needed:i Need A Dog For Security Purposes / I Just Got A German Shepard Dog And I'd Like To Exchange Her For Another Breed / Advice Needed On How To Cook Goat Or Cow Fetus for dogs (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

I'd Love To Buy German Shepherd: Advice Needed by Akinpresident: 6:03pm On Nov 22, 2020
Hello all

Please what are the necessary things I need to know before buying a dog like German Shepherd?

I'll like to know about it's feeding, caring, training and other necessary info.

Kindly help a brother.

If you have an idea where I can buy the puppy I'll also appreciate.
Re: I'd Love To Buy German Shepherd: Advice Needed by coolsegun2002: 6:17pm On Nov 22, 2020
Akinpresident:
Hello all

Please what are the necessary things I need to know before buying a dog like German Shepherd?

I'll like to know about it's feeding, caring, training and other necessary info.

Kindly help a brother.

-Feeding depend on you....but ideally...it’s okay to feed dogs twice a day...morning and evening

-Dogs can eat what u eat at home...but they are canines at the end of the day...if u can get meat and crushed bone, that’s better...

-Vaccinations, vaccinations, vaccination...
U need to protect your dog from disease...
Parvovirus
Rabies

-other injections
Deworming once a month
Tick control...

If u stay in a rented apartment with other tenants... u’ll have to keep ur dog indoors or on ur balcony...that means u have to potty-train...potty training is a bit hard...but if u have time..it’s not rocket science...

1 Like 1 Share

Re: I'd Love To Buy German Shepherd: Advice Needed by PeraGSD: 12:55pm On Nov 23, 2020
coolsegun2002:

-Feeding depend on you....but ideally...it’s okay to feed dogs twice a day...morning and evening

-Dogs can eat what u eat at home...but they are canines at the end of the day...if u can get meat and crushed bone, that’s better...

Parvovirus
Rabies

-other injections
Deworming once a month
Tick control...

If u stay in a rented apartment with other tenants... u’ll have to keep ur dog indoors or on ur balcony...that means u have to potty-train...potty training is a bit hard...but if u have time..it’s not rocket science...

Glad someone has put forward some answers. I may add more by asking questions really.
Why do you want to get a GSD...pet, security, breeding etc?
What age...puppy, adolescent or adult?
Gender...male or female
Which type of GSD are you looking at and why...long or short coat, showline or workline, black or black and tan or black and red or sable?
What type of temperament are you looking for and why...low to medium or medium to high
Are you a first time owner or experienced dog owner?
What is your budget?
What are your living quarters like?
What is your work and play lifestyle etc

As you attempt to ans these questions it becomes clearer. You may also get in touch with an experienced breeder to guide you while you make the final decisions.

God luck.

1 Like

Re: I'd Love To Buy German Shepherd: Advice Needed by Akinpresident: 9:20pm On Nov 23, 2020
Thank you so much!!

I appreciate this

coolsegun2002:

Parvovirus
Rabies

-other injections
Deworming once a month
Tick control...

Re: I'd Love To Buy German Shepherd: Advice Needed by Akinpresident: 9:26pm On Nov 23, 2020
PeraGSD:

Glad someone has put forward some answers. I may add more by asking questions really.
Why do you want to get a GSD...pet, security, breeding etc?
What age...puppy, adolescent or adult?
Gender...male or female
Which type of GSD are you looking at and why...long or short coat, showline or workline, black or black and tan or black and red or sable?
What type of temperament are you looking for and why...low to medium or medium to high
Are you a first time owner or experienced dog owner?
What is your budget?
What are your living quarters like?
What is your work and play lifestyle etc

As you attempt to ans these questions it becomes clearer. You may also get in touch with an experienced breeder to guide you while you make the final decisions.

God luck.

I have space in my apartment cos it's a bungalow flat.
But I'll have to construct a kennel because it's not fenced. I'm staying in an estate.

I work from home so I have a lot of time to spend at home.

I'm a first time owner
I've not owned or stayed with a dog before
I want the dog basically for pet and maybe security. The estate is secured already.

For age, I'll like one very young. So I can familiarize with it as it grows up.
Age of 1 to 3 months is ideal for me.

I don't understand what you mean by coat

Thanks
Re: I'd Love To Buy German Shepherd: Advice Needed by PeraGSD: 10:14pm On Nov 23, 2020
Akinpresident:

I have space in my apartment cos it's a bungalow flat.
But I'll have to construct a kennel because it's not fenced. I'm staying in an estate.

I work from home so I have a lot of time to spend at home.

I'm a first time owner
I've not owned or stayed with a dog before
I want the dog basically for pet and maybe security. The estate is secured already.

For age, I'll like one very young. So I can familiarize with it as it grows up.
Age of 1 to 3 months is ideal for me.

I don't understand what you mean by coat

Thanks

Glad to hear you have time as you work from home. Best to bring the new pup home as from 8 weeks upwards. Not before please.

Coat is basically the type of hair....long or short. The pup below is a long coat. Both parents were long coats....showline too.

Re: I'd Love To Buy German Shepherd: Advice Needed by Akinpresident: 6:18am On Nov 24, 2020
PeraGSD:

Glad to hear you have time as you work from home. Best to bring the new pup home as from 8 weeks upwards. Not before please.

Coat is basically the type of hair....long or short. The pup below is a long coat. Both parents were long coats....showline too.

I like this one you posted the picture.
So long coat

I know there are dog food sold in marts.

Whether I fed them home food or dog food, does it affect their growth physically, mentally and otherwise?
Re: I'd Love To Buy German Shepherd: Advice Needed by PeraGSD: 10:32am On Nov 24, 2020
Akinpresident:

I like this one you posted the picture.
So long coat

I know there are dog food sold in marts.

Whether I fed them home food or dog food, does it affect their growth physically, mentally and otherwise?

So that's OK on coat. I forget to mention or ask the question of pedigree or non pedigree in the question list above cos that'll affect the pricing outlay plans. Then further ahead this may also affect pricing of her pups in future if you choose to sell her offspring. You may make a mental note of that. The pup in the pic went for 250k. Just to give you a hint. Parents where superb from excellent bloodlines and pedigree.
On feeding i have a mindset of what can best demonstrate or express what genes she processes. In effect i mean if you check the boxes of excellent features and temperament from parents, what will give the pup the best chance to bring them through as an offspring. So we settled on a raw or partial raw feeding regime which has been effective so far for pups we catered for. Of course your home cooked meals will do if you are careful to avoid some stuff like onions and garlic etc. Then the commercial bagged or tinned ones are OK too. The raw feeding range needs more care and balancing to achieve great results. Tedious, yes but worth it.
Re: I'd Love To Buy German Shepherd: Advice Needed by ImahGabi22(m): 10:46am On Dec 26, 2020
Hi Akinpresident, I'm Gabi, just sent you a mail. I don't want to ask for money.Saw your comment and I was wondering if you give guidance on A.M. In return, I'll give you tips on how to get a perfect dog, that's if you've not gotten grin Thanks!
Re: I'd Love To Buy German Shepherd: Advice Needed by shiffynaani(m): 12:15pm On Jan 05, 2021
Akinpresident:
Hello all

Kindly help a brother.

you promised 12pm today again. Remember? Pls do well to reply
Re: I'd Love To Buy German Shepherd: Advice Needed by meekmill(m): 4:01pm On Jan 05, 2021
You still need?
Re: I'd Love To Buy German Shepherd: Advice Needed by meekmill(m): 4:01pm On Jan 05, 2021
Akinpresident:
Hello all

Kindly help a brother.

You still need?
Re: I'd Love To Buy German Shepherd: Advice Needed by Simolicatalano: 5:17pm On Jan 06, 2021
Re: I'd Love To Buy German Shepherd: Advice Needed by 44Bulldog(m): 11:16am On Jan 07, 2021
coolsegun2002:

Parvovirus
Rabies

-other injections
Deworming once a month
Tick control...

Give ur dog(s) foods that contains onion, caffeine, chocolate etc and watch them die slowly before ur eyesundecided

Talking from experience
Re: I'd Love To Buy German Shepherd: Advice Needed by lagusboyyy(m): 8:09pm On Jan 08, 2021
PeraGSD:

So that's OK on coat. I forget to mention or ask the question of pedigree or non pedigree in the question list above cos that'll affect the pricing outlay plans. Then further ahead this may also affect pricing of her pups in future if you choose to sell her offspring. You may make a mental note of that. The pup in the pic went for 250k. Just to give you a hint. Parents where superb from excellent bloodlines and pedigree.
On feeding i have a mindset of what can best demonstrate or express what genes she processes. In effect i mean if you check the boxes of excellent features and temperament from parents, what will give the pup the best chance to bring them through as an offspring. So we settled on a raw or partial raw feeding regime which has been effective so far for pups we catered for. Of course your home cooked meals will do if you are careful to avoid some stuff like onions and garlic etc. Then the commercial bagged or tinned ones are OK too. The raw feeding range needs more care and balancing to achieve great results. Tedious, yes but worth it.
I love your inputs.

Please i want you to help me clarify this my personal question,often times ,i do see GSD being categorized into showline and workingline. I personally love the looks of the showline breed,here is my question: can the showline breed also be security top notch,and protect my home?
Re: I'd Love To Buy German Shepherd: Advice Needed by PeraGSD: 9:58pm On Jan 08, 2021
lagusboyyy:
I love your inputs.

Please i want you to help me clarify this my personal question,often times ,i do see GSD being categorized into showline and workingline. I personally love the looks of the showline breed,here is my question: can the showline breed also be security top notch,and protect my home?

Usually worklines are more highly strung and have a higher drive than showlines. Drive is an important part of security alertness. However, there are exceptions to every rule as we both know. That is why it is good to ask breeders about temperament of parents if it'll fit for what you intend getting the pup for. If both parents are low to medium drive naturally trying to force out that high strung that is easier with medium to high drives might be like beating a dead horse leading to frustration.

Experienced breeders (GSD) avoid combos that may produce or turn out low drive dogs if they know their clients are not looking for a medium size "snuggle on the couch" showline GSD.
Re: I'd Love To Buy German Shepherd: Advice Needed by lagusboyyy(m): 10:50pm On Jan 08, 2021
PeraGSD:

Usually worklines are more highly strung and have a higher drive than showlines. Drive is an important part of security alertness. However, there are exceptions to every rule as we both know. That is why it is good to ask breeders about temperament of parents if it'll fit for what you intend getting the pup for. If both parents are low to medium drive naturally trying to force out that high strung that is easier with medium to high drives might be like beating a dead horse leading to frustration.

Experienced breeders (GSD) avoid combos that may produce or turn out low drive dogs if they know their clients are not looking for a medium size "snuggle on the couch" showline GSD.
Thanks for this bro.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Anyone Knows The Name Of This Spider? / Diary Of Boomer The Boerboel / My 1 Yr Old Female Alsatian Is Scared Of Strangers And Does Not Charge At All.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.