Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,157 members, 7,815,029 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 05:33 AM

Rate Of Father's Death - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Rate Of Father's Death (1498 Views)

His Father's Death. / High Rate Of Child Abuse, Should One Parent Stay Home With The Kids? / How Do We Reduce The Rate Of Prostitution In Nigeria Universities? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Rate Of Father's Death by Olufidu(m): 4:53pm On Jun 28, 2007
Hi all,

Has anyone notice that 3 out of 5 in Nija have lost their fathers before age 20yr? is there anything spiritual to this? and why do husband/father die so early? is this peculiar to our environment only?
Re: Rate Of Father's Death by iice(f): 4:47pm On Jun 29, 2007
With the rate of accidents, the poor health system, poverty and strife. . .na spirituality come to mind? Lawd!
Re: Rate Of Father's Death by Olufidu(m): 7:57pm On Jun 29, 2007
@iice,

.  . .  are you saying everyone other than fathers are immuned to all that you mentioned

Irrespective of cause of death, fathers' death rate seems to be higher than any other. Just look around you!
Re: Rate Of Father's Death by MILITIA(f): 11:06pm On Jun 29, 2007
@Topic

Please where did you do your research or get your statistics from? shocked Just curious!
Re: Rate Of Father's Death by Orosunnuku(m): 2:00am On Jun 30, 2007
@Olufidu,
I don't know where you got your statistics from but you seem to be close to the truth.
I lost ma Pop about 25yrs ago when i was bearly 20yrs old and in higher institution. He was in his ealy 50s when he died.
Meanwhile, my mum is still hale and hearty at over 70yrs - anyway, I thank God for her live and wish her many more fruitful years on earth.
Re: Rate Of Father's Death by Orosunnuku(m): 2:04am On Jun 30, 2007
Could be due to the stress of fatherhood coupled with Naija factor!
Who knows, spirituality maybe at play as in extended family wanting to inherit your wealth?
Re: Rate Of Father's Death by Olufidu(m): 10:34am On Jun 30, 2007
@Militia,

This is just my observation over the past 15yrs. Just look around you.
Re: Rate Of Father's Death by Maleeq(m): 12:29am On Jul 01, 2007
@Topic

Though no official statistics but look around you, there are by far more widows than widowers. I lost my own dad @ 14. I guess this has made me take note of families without their fathers anywhere I go, and I have seen a lot.

[s]I'll consider not being a father, may be I'll live even longer[/s]
Re: Rate Of Father's Death by iice(f): 1:29am On Jul 01, 2007
Olufidu:

@iice,

. . . are you saying everyone other than fathers are immuned to all that you mentioned

Irrespective of cause of death, fathers' death rate seems to be higher than any other. Just look around you!

So you're saying Juju na the main cause? undecided
Re: Rate Of Father's Death by kulaShaker(f): 7:57pm On Jul 02, 2007
i lost my mum, not my dad, wish he died instead the bastard angry
Re: Rate Of Father's Death by MILITIA(f): 7:14am On Jul 03, 2007
kulaShaker:

i lost my mum, not my dad, wish he died instead the bastard angry

grin Wahala dey oh! lipsrsealed
Re: Rate Of Father's Death by yebarbie(f): 6:13pm On Jul 03, 2007
I don't know where olufidu got his statistics from but I think he is very correct.
I actually started noticing this some years back.
Though my own dad is still alive, I notice that most of my friends that I just met, during NYSC and my past and present place of work have lost their dads.
It got to the point that one of my colleagues was talking about her dad and I said 'you have a dad?' I quickly apologized and said I was mixing her up with some one else.
Re: Rate Of Father's Death by Seun(m): 6:17pm On Jul 03, 2007
This is a gross exxageration. Women indeed live longer than men on average, but only by 2-5 years.
Re: Rate Of Father's Death by Nobody: 10:42am On Jul 04, 2007
Statiscally life expectancy for Nigerian men is 44 years and 43 for women ( source:world populatin data sheet 2006. www.prb.com), this has been ascribed to Environmental and Social  factors. I doubt if htere is anything spirtual about it, we just have poor health habits. I.E we do not go for regular medical check up, change in eating and working habits, Cancers, HIV and AIDS etc
Re: Rate Of Father's Death by Seun(m): 2:08pm On Jul 04, 2007
What's the source of your statistic? Prb.com is dead. Why can't you just link us to the page you got it from?
Re: Rate Of Father's Death by Nobody: 2:27pm On Jul 04, 2007
Sorry, www.prb.org. My bad
Re: Rate Of Father's Death by Nobody: 2:35pm On Jul 04, 2007
Re: Rate Of Father's Death by Olufidu(m): 10:03pm On Jul 04, 2007
@ Aisha2,

Statiscally life expectancy for Nigerian men is 44 years and 43 for women ( source:world populatin data sheet 2006. www.prb.com), this has been ascribed to Environmental and Social  factors. I doubt if htere is anything spirtual about it, we just have poor health habits. I.E we do not go for regular medical check up, change in eating and working habits, Cancers, HIV and AIDS etc

The statistics here is for men and women. My stats is for Dads as in father - "man with kids". Meanwhile, like I said early my stats is purely from observation over a period of time it may not be very accurate but look around you if you are in Nija. Pls let me pose this question a again: if we are all exposed to the same hazard as mentioned, why is the "attack" more on the fathers?
Re: Rate Of Father's Death by spoilt(f): 2:04am On Jul 05, 2007
if only men would cry a little and ease some of that pent up tension and stress. grin

(1) (Reply)

Advice Please! My Parents Reasons Arent Valid Opposing My Relationship! / What Is A Perfect Marriage Like? / Have You Seen Babyosis Aka Nwando, Donzman, Ghettochyk?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.