Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,498 members, 7,812,540 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 03:01 PM

How Powerful Are Smartphone Processors For Gaming? - Gaming (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Gaming / How Powerful Are Smartphone Processors For Gaming? (10355 Views)

Please How Strong Is This Hp Laptop For Gaming / Which TV Brand Should I Buy For Gaming / SSD Vs HDD – Which One Is Best For Gaming (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Powerful Are Smartphone Processors For Gaming? by Splitmind: 2:55pm On Dec 08, 2020
A new phone will absolutely destroy a PS3 and Xbox 360 in all aspects.

Playing Xbox and PS3 games on mobile is impossible because there isn't a working emulator yet.

But you can play some remade games.
Re: How Powerful Are Smartphone Processors For Gaming? by GogetterMD(m): 2:59pm On Dec 08, 2020
khingTony:
In my opinion, Flagship smartphone chipsets are more powerful than that of the XBOX 360 and PS3 for sure and maybe better than that of the PS4 and XBOX ONE, that's why you can install an XBOX emulator and play XBOX games, but, A powerful chipset and GPU is just one thing, another is how efficient they are.

The PS4 and others are large, they have heat sinks and large fans that cool the processor down and even spin faster at full speed when the going gets tough, But Smartphones(asides gaming phones) do not have fans and heat sinks, so, they'll get hotter easily and thermal throttling becomes a thing, when this happens, the processor will reduce it's performance just so that it can cope and not generate more heat.

So if you are to put them side by side and compare for a short amount of time you'll see that processors such as the SD 865+, A14 bionic or Hisilicon Kirin 9000 will out class that of the PS4, but when you play games for a long time, That of the PS4 will be smoother and better.
[/i]Smart analysis from a techy chap. Me like[i] cool

Peace smiley
Re: How Powerful Are Smartphone Processors For Gaming? by Enceladus(m): 2:59pm On Dec 08, 2020
A smartphone would never compare with a dedicated console. GPU alone disqualify all phones. Yet to see the old GTA V on any mobile.
Re: How Powerful Are Smartphone Processors For Gaming? by Enceladus(m): 3:00pm On Dec 08, 2020
Splitmind:
A new phone will absolutely destroy a PS3 and Xbox 360 in all aspects.

Playing Xbox and PS3 games on mobile is impossible because there isn't a working emulator yet.

But you can play some remade games.

How so?
Re: How Powerful Are Smartphone Processors For Gaming? by GogetterMD(m): 3:00pm On Dec 08, 2020
khingTony:
In my opinion, Flagship smartphone chipsets are more powerful than that of the XBOX 360 and PS3 for sure and maybe better than that of the PS4 and XBOX ONE, that's why you can install an XBOX emulator and play XBOX games, but, A powerful chipset and GPU is just one thing, another is how efficient they are.

The PS4 and others are large, they have heat sinks and large fans that cool the processor down and even spin faster at full speed when the going gets tough, But Smartphones(asides gaming phones) do not have fans and heat sinks, so, they'll get hotter easily and thermal throttling becomes a thing, when this happens, the processor will reduce it's performance just so that it can cope and not generate more heat.

So if you are to put them side by side and compare for a short amount of time you'll see that processors such as the SD 865+, A14 bionic or Hisilicon Kirin 9000 will out class that of the PS4, but when you play games for a long time, That of the PS4 will be smoother and better.

Peace smiley

[/i]Smart analysis from a techy chap. Me like[i] cool
Re: How Powerful Are Smartphone Processors For Gaming? by Edopesin: 3:10pm On Dec 08, 2020
khingTony:

Peace smiley

Nothing but facts, Thumbs up
Re: How Powerful Are Smartphone Processors For Gaming? by Psalmy2cute(m): 3:12pm On Dec 08, 2020
Emeka71:
Smartphone is not good on games.
Stop using techno and infinix.. buy real phones.. not phones made for poor Africans

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Powerful Are Smartphone Processors For Gaming? by theFilmtric: 3:23pm On Dec 08, 2020
Psalmy2cute:

Stop using techno and infinix.. buy real phones.. not phones made for poor Africans
You can as well send him the money nau mtcheew
I'm sure you're using a budget phone

theFilmtricsay
Re: How Powerful Are Smartphone Processors For Gaming? by IMAliyu(m): 3:27pm On Dec 08, 2020
Depends on the game.

My phone with a Snapdragon430 a budget processor, can run PubgM at 45fps at all low settings.

It struggles to run something like Brawlhalla on the other hand.

Mobile processors have come a long way, but sometimes it depends on how optimised the game is.
Re: How Powerful Are Smartphone Processors For Gaming? by Splitmind: 3:34pm On Dec 08, 2020
Enceladus:

How so?

Faster processor with more cores, greater storage space, greater RAM.
Re: How Powerful Are Smartphone Processors For Gaming? by Enceladus(m): 3:55pm On Dec 08, 2020
Splitmind:

Faster processor with more cores, greater storage space, greater RAM.

Faster proessor will only give you at max 10 FPS, storage doesn't really matter, GPU is where the magic happens, and phones lack in this area no matter how expensive they are.

1 Like

Re: How Powerful Are Smartphone Processors For Gaming? by Splitmind: 4:17pm On Dec 08, 2020
Enceladus:

Faster proessor will only give you at max 10 FPS, storage doesn't really matter, GPU is where the magic happens, and phones lack in this area no matter how expensive they are.

Storage matters a lot, it affects loading times and even the number of elements that can be displayed on a scene, that's why the PS5 was built with such a great emphasis on storage. Phones use flash memory which is many times faster than the antiquated HDD of the PS3.

A faster processor is tied directly to the amount of frames that can be rendered or enemies to even how the world interacts with the player.

Now although phones aren't up to the same level as modern custom computers and consoles for obvious reasons like size, cost, temperature and battery power they are miles ahead of what the PS3 and Xbox 360 have. Can they run games at 4K or even 1080p above 60 frames per second? No.
Re: How Powerful Are Smartphone Processors For Gaming? by onuhx: 4:26pm On Dec 08, 2020
okay
Re: How Powerful Are Smartphone Processors For Gaming? by Miyachi: 4:45pm On Dec 08, 2020
Mustiboy:

Compared to last generation consoles, how powerful are they?

Smartphone processors keep getting better with new releases, but we are yet to know how powerful they really are without demanding games to push them to the limits.

Atheistandproud, I presume you're adept with smartphone CPU and GPUs. Can you say they are as powerful as what is on the last two generation consoles, Xbox 360 and PS3?

Can games for these two consoles be ported to mobile and the likes of SD865 and Bionic A14 will handle them seamlessly?

What's your take?

That's like comparing apples to oranges.
ARM-based processors were specifically created to tend to the low-powered market - embeded devices, smartphones and ultraportables.

Comparing a PS4/XBox to Apple Silicon or even Snapdragon is going to be hard. What benchmark are you going to use.

Also note that a supercomputer was once built with a cluster of PS3s (or is it PS4s). Same was done with arm-based Raspberry Pis, so for certain tasks you could create a benchmark.

The last point I'll make is that your smartphone processors are general purpose computers while this console processors are built with one thing in mind - to maximize performance in single-precision instructions mainly used in graphics computing.

3 Likes

Re: How Powerful Are Smartphone Processors For Gaming? by Mustiboy(m): 4:51pm On Dec 08, 2020
Miyachi:

ARM-based processors were specifically created to tend to the low-powered market - embeded devices, smartphones and ultraportables.

Comparing a PS4/XBox to Apple Silicon or even Snapdragon is going to be hard. What benchmark are you going to use.

Also note that a supercomputer was once built with a cluster of PS3s (or is it PS4s). Same was done with arm-based Raspberry Pis, so for certain tasks you could create a benchmark.

The last point I'll make is that your smartphone processors are general purpose computers while this console processors are built with one thing in mind - to maximize performance in single-precision instructions mainly used in graphics computing.

Very true. You're smart. Atheistandproud said the same thing.

1 Like

Re: How Powerful Are Smartphone Processors For Gaming? by pickatyouu: 4:58pm On Dec 08, 2020
I know iphone12 processor is very strong .
Re: How Powerful Are Smartphone Processors For Gaming? by Seyilome(m): 5:02pm On Dec 08, 2020
Miyachi:

U are absolutely right, phones are built for many petty purposes but consoles are specifically built for graphics, mobile phones are still struggling to play PS2 emulator games, I wish average phones could play PS2 games smoothly.

1 Like

Re: How Powerful Are Smartphone Processors For Gaming? by savcy(m): 5:13pm On Dec 08, 2020
A bit off topic. Can someone please walk me through how to install a PlayStation or Xbox emulator on my phone? I'd like to play God of war, etc on my phone.
Re: How Powerful Are Smartphone Processors For Gaming? by turbotech11: 5:14pm On Dec 08, 2020
khingTony:
And comparing it against a 2019 flagship processor, The Helio G80 is a decent chipset but, please, don't hype it when it comes to gaming
This comparison is unfair na.....u should be comparing snapdragon 865 and 865+ to Mediateks dimensity 1000 and 1000+ chipsets
Re: How Powerful Are Smartphone Processors For Gaming? by seanwilliam(m): 5:15pm On Dec 08, 2020
Lol.. I rarely play game on phone .. I play games only when network is bad.. I’m on the internet 19hrs per days.. I have only 1 game on my two phones grin
Re: How Powerful Are Smartphone Processors For Gaming? by mattmogan88: 5:22pm On Dec 08, 2020
All I have to say is that volkswagen cannot pull
a tractorr,
and you can't win a gun fight with a knife

If you know, you know wink
Re: How Powerful Are Smartphone Processors For Gaming? by laidima88(m): 5:33pm On Dec 08, 2020
mediatek helio g80 is not that bad for gaming as depicted above , I run asphalt 9, pubg, call of duty , GTA, PES21 and so many other high demanding games smoothly on my note 8, no need for comparison with snapdragon it is higher processor with its own unique capacity
Re: How Powerful Are Smartphone Processors For Gaming? by Coinbased: 5:38pm On Dec 08, 2020
Not
Re: How Powerful Are Smartphone Processors For Gaming? by Ekundayo7574(m): 6:03pm On Dec 08, 2020
laidima88:
mediatek helio g80 is not that bad for gaming as depicted above , I run asphalt 9, pubg, call of duty , GTA, PES21 and so many other high demanding games smoothly on my note 8, no need for comparison with snapdragon it is higher processor with its own unique capacity

Can that compete with the Mediatek MT6762 Helio P22 Octa-core 2.0 GHz Cortex-A53 processor on my s5 or which one is greater
Re: How Powerful Are Smartphone Processors For Gaming? by Enceladus(m): 6:05pm On Dec 08, 2020
Splitmind:

Now although phones aren't up to the same level as modern custom computers and consoles for obvious reasons like size, cost, temperature and battery power they are miles ahead of what the PS3 and Xbox 360 have.

Storage matters a lot, it affects loading times and even the number of elements that can be displayed on a scene , that's why the PS5 was built with such a great emphasis on storage. Phones use flash memory which is many times faster than the antiquated HDD of the PS3.

The bolded is wrong. That's the work of the ram. And not the normal RAM but the GPU ram.

A faster processor is tied directly to the amount of frames that can be rendered or enemies to even how the world interacts with the player.

No not really. The CPU calculates game logic like lives remaining, boundary, collisions, sound, while the GPU is in charge of the rendering, geometry, light, texture etc. The PS3 CPU is specially made, and it is even better than core i7 and the Ryzen when it comes to gaming.

Can they run games at 4K or even 1080p above 60 frames per second? No.
No. a 60 fps will never lag. About 80% of the movies in the world runs at 24 fps self.

Ask your self this, after seven years of it's release why can't we play GTA V on an emulator at least? No phone can handle T-flops of GPU data.

For the last time, the GPU is the most important part of a gaming device.

1 Like

Re: How Powerful Are Smartphone Processors For Gaming? by Enceladus(m): 6:10pm On Dec 08, 2020
Miyachi:

Please help me tell them. No CPU how fast can compare with a GPU. A ten year old GPU will beat a newly developed CPU to the dust.

1 Like

Re: How Powerful Are Smartphone Processors For Gaming? by wman(m): 6:17pm On Dec 08, 2020
Informative thread.

Meanwhile, I have over 10 TB of PC games for sale.

We deliver all over Nigeria.
Re: How Powerful Are Smartphone Processors For Gaming? by laidima88(m): 6:18pm On Dec 08, 2020
Ekundayo7574:

Can that compete with the Mediatek MT6762 Helio P22 Octa-core 2.0 GHz Cortex-A53 processor on my s5 or which one is greater

u can't compare helio p22 with g80
helio p22 has moderate performance level and is ranked 80 while g80 has high performance level and is ranked 34.
https://www.phonecurry.com/benchmarks
u can check that link for rank and performance of processors
Re: How Powerful Are Smartphone Processors For Gaming? by Xpress24(m): 6:52pm On Dec 08, 2020
cheesy
ChiefZaddy:
You wicked Sha. Elephant vs Ant comparison
no mind dos tecno fans dem go dy shout g70 g80 like say na wan better chip sef
Re: How Powerful Are Smartphone Processors For Gaming? by theFilmtric: 7:16pm On Dec 08, 2020
Xpress24:
cheesy no mind dos tecno fans dem go dy shout g70 g80 like say na wan better chip sef

Yen yen yen
I'm sure the G80 is far better than the chip in your phone!

theFilmtricsay
Re: How Powerful Are Smartphone Processors For Gaming? by Ogbemuo: 7:23pm On Dec 08, 2020
Current Gen mobile chipset is about 5x powerful than PS3 inn terms of graphical prowess

Re: How Powerful Are Smartphone Processors For Gaming? by Xpress24(m): 7:24pm On Dec 08, 2020
theFilmtric:

Yen yen yen
I'm sure the G80 is far better than the chip in your phone!

theFilmtricsay
i no get power to argue with u all my android fones from 2012 na flagship chips dem dy use.i neva for once reason mtk because dem no dy freak me. Mind u i neva for once use chinko made fone
Just no say i knw alot about smartphones right from symbian days

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

What Laptop Can I Get For 60000 To 80000 Naira And Would Run Watch Dogs Fifa15 / What's The Best Mobile Game You Have Ever Played ? / FIFA 14 on pc

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.