Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,424 members, 7,822,967 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 08:31 PM

How Nigerians Are Deceived With Fake Job Offers In Qatar (from Babaearly) - Travel (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / How Nigerians Are Deceived With Fake Job Offers In Qatar (from Babaearly) (22917 Views)

Nigerians Are Eating, Charging Laptops, Making Calls Inside Trains (photo) / How Nigerians Are Decieved With Fake Job Offers In Qatar / Nigerians Living In Qatar (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Nigerians Are Deceived With Fake Job Offers In Qatar (from Babaearly) by NETGAIN: 7:08pm On Mar 23, 2011
@ poster,
If u had posted this nine months ago, u would have saved my brother a lot of grief. He travelled qatar last year and came back this last january with tales similar to the post

Contrary all the pomise the agents made that a job and official car would be waiting 4 him once he got to qatar, he never worked for even a day and we had to send money to enable him come back from nigeria!
Re: How Nigerians Are Deceived With Fake Job Offers In Qatar (from Babaearly) by sley4life(m): 7:10pm On Mar 23, 2011
desperate peeps that wana travel
Re: How Nigerians Are Deceived With Fake Job Offers In Qatar (from Babaearly) by snowdrops(m): 8:18pm On Mar 23, 2011
Is it the "peeps" you would blame or the bastards that swindle them of their livelihood? It's like blaming a woman for being gang raped,
Re: How Nigerians Are Deceived With Fake Job Offers In Qatar (from Babaearly) by chivo: 8:21pm On Mar 23, 2011
That is a clear fact, and the situation is the same everywhere, from Istanbul to North Cyprus, Greece and even Ukraine to mention but a few.
Re: How Nigerians Are Deceived With Fake Job Offers In Qatar (from Babaearly) by JeSoul(f): 9:08pm On Mar 23, 2011
Justwise and Babaearly, you're both welcome smiley

NETGAIN:

@ poster,
If u had posted this nine months ago, u would have saved my brother a lot of grief. He travelled qatar last year and came back this last january with tales similar to the post

Contrary all the pomise the agents made that a job and official car would be waiting 4 him once he got to qatar, he never worked for even a day and we had to send money to enable him come back from nigeria!
wow. Let those who have ears, hear well.
Re: How Nigerians Are Deceived With Fake Job Offers In Qatar (from Babaearly) by LoveKing(m): 9:09pm On Mar 23, 2011
Is this post sticky yet
Re: How Nigerians Are Deceived With Fake Job Offers In Qatar (from Babaearly) by Nobody: 11:48pm On Mar 23, 2011
Thanks Justwise, you are able to stop many in nairaland from being scammed.
Re: How Nigerians Are Deceived With Fake Job Offers In Qatar (from Babaearly) by justwise(m): 7:57am On Mar 24, 2011
petaling:

Thanks Justwise, you are able to stop many in nairaland from being scammed.

Its all good, pple like Babaearly and JeSoul deserve the credit for this article.

I was banned twice a day trying to post this b4 the Mod stepped in and sort it out.

If only some greedy Nigerians will stop using fellow Nigerians as cash machine or meal ticket, like somebody pointed out here, this happens in other countries as well, not just QATAR.
Re: How Nigerians Are Deceived With Fake Job Offers In Qatar (from Babaearly) by kukus01(m): 8:09am On Mar 24, 2011
justwise:

Its all good, pple like Babaearly and JeSoul deserve the credit for this article.

I was banned twice a day trying to post this b4 the Mod stepped in and sort it out.

If only some greedy Nigerians will stop using fellow Nigerians as cash machine or meal ticket, like somebody pointed out here, this happens in other countries as well, not just QATAR.

if only the Nigerians here will see the bright side here then those that swindle them wouldn't have the chance cos the money these so called swindlers collect from them are not peanuts. thanks just wise this is a wake up call Nigeria is blessed, wake up!!!!
Re: How Nigerians Are Deceived With Fake Job Offers In Qatar (from Babaearly) by Ezekiel04: 11:13am On Mar 24, 2011
I am sending this reply as an insider who could authoritatively give an insight into how it is to be in any of these Arab countries as an expatriate (Foreign worker). Though i do not reside in Qatar but in Kuwait, but the situation is the same in all the GCC countries and other Arabian countries. I came to Kuwait few years ago with the same promises of better deals when one get here. Though, i was truly fed up of the job i had in Nigeria, i got here and realize i was better off with that job. If you're coming to any of these countries, you'll be promised a decent accomodation, free transportation and in some cases, free meal three times daily. There some other bad side to the bargain that they will never ever let you know even months after you arrive here. You will only get to know about thse facts if you're smart enough to move closer to those that have been here before you and ask questions. Note that whoever your agent is will try as much as possible to isolate you from those you meet around where ever he/she brought you. I was smart enough to free myself and move closer to those i met. It was through them i got to know that there is indeed a hidden visa fee that will be deducted from the peanut of a salary they'll be paying you monthly. This may be deducted for a period of one or one and half years depending on how much it is that they'll pre-determined to charge you. You won't know this until after three months when you're due to receive your three month salary in arrears. At that point, you may have been absent from your duty post in Nigeria for close to 90 days and your employment terminated. Realizing that, you may have no choice than to continue with the situation you finds yourself. Note also that as soon as you arrive here, you'll trully be accomodated in a room where six or more people will occupy. This will never be disclosed to you before hand. Continue below,
Re: How Nigerians Are Deceived With Fake Job Offers In Qatar (from Babaearly) by Ezekiel04: 11:37am On Mar 24, 2011
Also, your passport would have been confisticated from you and there is possibility that you'll not set eyes on it for the next two or three years which is the mandatory period you're expected to be on the job they brought you to do before you can dream of quitting your present job for another one. That is if you're lucky to secure another one. Also, if you secure another one, you're not to shout halleluyah or halihamudulilai yet, you'll still be expected to pay for your freedom. This is between a range of an equivalent of =N=100,000.00 and =N=200,000.000 depending on your employer and his relationship with God. Some are heartless and would rather work for your deportation than allow you go without paying such unholy fee. You should note that for that three years, you practically cannot have any savings in your bank account most especially if you're a responsible one who care about the immediate family you left at home. You will realize that whatever amount of salary you were told before you left the shore of Nigeria is nothing with the economic realities in the Arab countries. So many nights you'll cry silently and wonder what pushed you out of Nigeria in the first place. You will reralize that Nigeria is a better country if not for the useless and irresponsible looters we have had to contend with all these years. All you enjoy here is constant power supply and good road network. Many would ask why someone like me haven't return home. That's a brilliant question. Many of us found favour from God while many won't be able to cope with the shame that comes with returning home without achieving anything. My advice to anyone with the hope of working abroad is for him/her to shine his/her eyes. The grass is not greener on the other side like we always believe while in Nigeria. Nigeria is so blessed but cursed with bad leadership who makes it look as if we have a bad country.
Thank you!

1 Like

Re: How Nigerians Are Deceived With Fake Job Offers In Qatar (from Babaearly) by hardbody: 12:53pm On Mar 24, 2011
Lol All the mentioned countries will not allow me drink my beer in the open, so that alone is a disincentive and therefore i will not even dream it, i dont care how much they were going to pay assuming it were true that the pasture was greener over there.

Which reminds me of my last trip to Sokoto. My hotel had actually sympathised with me for their inability to sell beer, but recommended i should go to mammy market and drink to my fill, and then buy some for take away and discreetly take same into my room, they promised to look the other way while i pass the reception area.

Trust evil luck, I bought my canned beers and biked back to my hotel room, only for the polythelene bag to go burst just in front of the hotel gate. I urgently walked very briskly into the lobby with the aboki okada man shouting kai, kai, kai, walked past the reception (on a quick reflection i knew that if i stopped to ask for my room card, almajaris and others may come asking for the last guy that took a card and his room number), i simply disappeared in the hotel grounds till night fall, when i came back under cover of faint lighting to pick my canned drinks and surreptitiously smuggled them into my room. Of course the next time i came out of that room was when i was leaving for the airport, and i was careful to make the time fit with the afternoon moslem prayer time. And this is Nigeria ooo, let alone Qatar, Doha, Malaysia and those other leftist nations, God forbid bad thing. Let those that want to go go ahead. Na una left hand them go cut.

1 Like

Re: How Nigerians Are Deceived With Fake Job Offers In Qatar (from Babaearly) by Vickivicki(m): 3:56pm On Mar 24, 2011
Nigeria we hail thee !!!
Re: How Nigerians Are Deceived With Fake Job Offers In Qatar (from Babaearly) by dellnet: 4:11pm On Mar 24, 2011
hardbody:

Lol All the mentioned countries will not allow me drink my beer in the open, so that alone is a disincentive and therefore i will not even dream it, i dont care how much they were going to pay assuming it were true that the pasture was greener over there.

Which reminds me of my last trip to Sokoto. My hotel had actually sympathised with me for their inability to sell beer, but recommended i should go to mammy market and drink to my fill, and then buy some for take away and discreetly take same into my room, they promised to look the other way while i pass the reception area.

Trust evil luck, I bought my canned beers and biked back to my hotel room, only for the polythelene bag to go burst just in front of the hotel gate. I urgently walked very briskly into the lobby with the aboki okada man shouting kai, kai, kai, walked past the reception (on a quick reflection i knew that if i stopped to ask for my room card, almajaris and others may come asking for the last guy that took a card and his room number), i simply disappeared in the hotel grounds till night fall, when i came back under cover of faint lighting to pick my canned drinks and surreptitiously smuggled them into my room. Of course the next time i came out of that room was when i was leaving for the airport, and i was careful to make the time fit with the afternoon moslem prayer time. And this is Nigeria ooo, let alone Qatar, Doha, Malaysia and those other leftist nations, God forbid bad thing. Let those that want to go go ahead. Na una left hand them go cut.
When you want to tell your story tell it right. Don't think we are geeks here and will listen to whatever you say. Come out of your paradox and realize that the sokoto or other countires mentioned here are not as you think.
Re: How Nigerians Are Deceived With Fake Job Offers In Qatar (from Babaearly) by hardbody: 4:41pm On Mar 24, 2011
Funny. Guy, I am not telling you 'as i was told'. I could give you details of the hotel i stayed on Kalambaina Road, the room i stayed, and even the matter i went for. BTW I got judgment a a few days ago. having said that, Please note that I have no point to prove and this for your information happened just last year, before the rains that caused flood started. I have not posted that throw scorn, i just needed to make it clear that if i run such risks in my country where i could manage to get away, it is high risk in a different clime where i am a clear and through visitor.

I am not telling what i think about Sokoto, i am telling you what really happened. BTW before i left the airport, i was informed that rather than mammy market, i could have gone to either of NBA secretariat or the Custom officers mess (both on the same area as the hotel i stayed) to drink without fear or let up.

Enuff said!!!
Re: How Nigerians Are Deceived With Fake Job Offers In Qatar (from Babaearly) by 4Runner: 10:36pm On Mar 24, 2011
I’m glad someone brought up this topic. I was going to write about it when I came back from my vacation in February.
I got into Doha on transit from Washington. At the immigration I was told I’ll be checked into a hotel for the night. I got chatting with my guide who told me there were so many Nigerians in Doha. Within 5mins he pointed at 5 Nigerians working outside the Airport premises.
I chatted with one of them who said he’s from Anambra State. I asked him what he was doing in Doha, he said he was deceived, but will return to Nigeria after the elections.

On getting to the hotel, from the lobby to my room and restaurant I met 4 other Nigerians working in the hotel.
The most pathetic was the guy I met at the restaurant. He said he used to be a manager at Access Bank (u didn’t need to be told he was an ex- banker, he was in suit and tie).
We chatted for about 30mins, he told me he had been in Doha for 4 months and can’t wait for another 2 months to make enough money to enable him come back.

He said there was no social life, that his laptop was his companion. And that if u’re caught with their women u’ll be deported. He was very relieved after we chatted and he had to introduce me to some of his colleagues.
He said those that enjoy Doha are those recruited as expatriates.
Re: How Nigerians Are Deceived With Fake Job Offers In Qatar (from Babaearly) by 4Runner: 10:44pm On Mar 24, 2011
The irony of the whole thing is as Nigerians are running away from their motherland, Chinese are trooping in in large numbers.
The influx of Chinese into Nigeria has to be addressed by the appropriate quarters ASAP.

On arriving at the Doha Airport from my hotel the next morning, I was shock to notice that there were over 70% of Chinese in my flight to Lagos. I’ve nothing wrong with foreigners coming to work in Nigeria as long as they’re skilled / professionals, BUT NOT LABOURERS, ‘cos we’ve more unskilled workers here than skilled. These Chinese are scruffy and dirty looking human beings who couldn’t speak a word in English.

When we arrived MMA, their contact man settled the immigration officials and within a twinkle of an eye they were all cleared with their carry ons. While we NIGERIAN CITIZENS had to be checked by the customs.

I heard there’re about 5,000 Chinese working at OBAJANO CEMENT factory. And they’re now the casual workers at construction sites in LEKKI.
I want to know the experience of other travellers on other flights. I flew Qatar.
Re: How Nigerians Are Deceived With Fake Job Offers In Qatar (from Babaearly) by Nobody: 1:36am On Mar 25, 2011
Re: How Nigerians Are Deceived With Fake Job Offers In Qatar (from Babaearly) by dellnet: 4:08am On Mar 25, 2011
hardbody:

Funny. Guy, I am not telling you 'as i was told'. I could give you details of the hotel i stayed on Kalambaina Road, the room i stayed, and even the matter i went for. BTW I got judgment a a few days ago. having said that, Please note that I have no point to prove and this for your information happened just last year, before the rains that caused flood started. I have not posted that throw scorn, i just needed to make it clear that if i run such risks in my country where i could manage to get away, it is high risk in a different clime where i am a clear and through visitor.

I am not telling what i think about Sokoto, i am telling you what really happened. BTW before i left the airport, i was informed that rather than mammy market, i could have gone to either of NBA secretariat or the Custom officers mess (both on the same area as the hotel i stayed) to drink without fear or let up.

Enuff said!!!
The point is you were afraid thinking you are not allowed to drink alcohol, not making it sound like you can't drink alcohol in public places just because you don't know where to go to and the hotel you stayed does not serve alcohol. If there are any incentives that would make you go to U.S.A please try drinking in the open (in your own words), trust evil luck and you come across police, if you don't sleep in jail you be lucky to lose your drink and get off with a warning.
Re: How Nigerians Are Deceived With Fake Job Offers In Qatar (from Babaearly) by alimat2(f): 6:35pm On Mar 25, 2011
Thank God my Brother could not get money for the visa. embarassed embarassed coolafter running everywhere 4 d money.
Re: How Nigerians Are Deceived With Fake Job Offers In Qatar (from Babaearly) by LoveKing(m): 10:01pm On Mar 26, 2011
Please spread the word, and if more scams are uncovered, dont be scared to bring them up.
Re: How Nigerians Are Deceived With Fake Job Offers In Qatar (from Babaearly) by hardbody: 7:21am On Mar 31, 2011
@ delnet
There is a huge difference between what you think and what you know. While one remains in d realms of speculation, the other is indeed a verifiable fact or set of facts. Rather than keep posting responses on what you think happens in sokoto, please ask around and try not to equate today with what it was before you went to seek sanctuary in the US. You cannot, i repeat, you cannot take alchohol in a public place in sokoto except in those specifically designated places. This is contra what happens in the southern or western parts of d country when pubs and joints are 2 a dime. Try and understand my point, rather than defending a non-existing issue. I cant identify what point u r trying to make. If u r still in doubt, og to sokoto and drink beer in d streets, body go tell u
Re: How Nigerians Are Deceived With Fake Job Offers In Qatar (from Babaearly) by dellnet: 4:46am On Apr 01, 2011
oga hardbody, What I think is Sokoto is still part of Federal Republic of Nigeria, What I know is Federal Laws still apply in Sokoto. If I was in your shoes even with "baban-riga" and cap I will calmly bend over and pick those cans of beer, pay the okada man and walk to my room. Do hotels, mammy market count as public places in sokoto? anyways if you want to argue this open a thread in the politics section or somewhere appropriate and invite me, lets not fill this thread with unnecessary inputs. Who says I sought sanctuary in the US? It seems you are the one speculating now.
Re: How Nigerians Are Deceived With Fake Job Offers In Qatar (from Babaearly) by BY(m): 12:57pm On Apr 03, 2011
This is a serious case, my brother is one the victim
Re: How Nigerians Are Deceived With Fake Job Offers In Qatar (from Babaearly) by justwise(m): 1:54pm On Apr 03, 2011
BY:

This is a serious case, my brother is one the victim

Sorry to hear that, has he being able to sort himself out now?
Re: How Nigerians Are Deceived With Fake Job Offers In Qatar (from Babaearly) by BY(m): 3:12pm On Apr 03, 2011
no
Re: How Nigerians Are Deceived With Fake Job Offers In Qatar (from Babaearly) by Nobody: 4:00pm On Apr 03, 2011
snowdrops:

Is it the "peeps" you would blame or the bastards that swindle them of their livelihood? It's like blaming a woman for being gang violated,

Brother, there is an element of truth in what Sley4life said:

sley4life:

desperate peeps that wana travel

Desperate people are what fuel fraudsters. If people aren't desperate or greedy, the con artists won't have victims to "sell" to. And another known fact - if you adviced a desperado, that's been promised Heaven on earth in Qatar or any other country they've been advised by their "agents" are the Garden of Eden, not to part with any money, and not travel to these countries, you'll be verbally abused, your family included. You'll be labelled an "Enemy of Progress", and told to mind your own business.

So, sometimes when folk get stung, I can't help but remember when they were adviced against their choices. There are several members on Nairaland, who have ears, but won't listen. It's quite common to find these unfortunates asking for advice, then do the exact opposite of what they were adviced against. Then they'll come back months later, whining that they've been duped. Some victims will still refuse to listen, even if you showed them a video of people stuck in a harsh country, with no friends, job or accommodation. They'll still insist on going, even if there was a news flash that a civil war was breaking out, it wouldn't deter them. They must travel at all costs, regardless of the country. As long as it's outside Nigeria, they'll sell all their worldly goods, just to get a visa and ticket.

I can guarantee, this stickied thread will deter some, but not all. And this is where fraudulent "agents" will grow fat, feeding off their desperation.
Re: How Nigerians Are Deceived With Fake Job Offers In Qatar (from Babaearly) by BY(m): 5:06pm On Apr 03, 2011
The problem we have in Nigeria is Leadership problem because we have everything in Nigeria but our called leaders are the problems.
Re: How Nigerians Are Deceived With Fake Job Offers In Qatar (from Babaearly) by Nobody: 8:23pm On Apr 03, 2011
I can guarantee, this stickied thread will deter some, but not all. And this is where fraudulent "agents" will grow fat, feeding off their desperation.

thats why everyone who reads this should pass it along. if every nigerian knows about this, the situation changes.
Re: How Nigerians Are Deceived With Fake Job Offers In Qatar (from Babaearly) by Gbenge77(m): 10:01am On Apr 04, 2011
This is the time to vote out the PDP so nigeria could be a better place.
Re: How Nigerians Are Deceived With Fake Job Offers In Qatar (from Babaearly) by LoveKing(m): 12:51am On Apr 05, 2011
People take note of these scammers on the Travel Board: Suxes2005 and Ivory2009. Be warned.
Re: How Nigerians Are Deceived With Fake Job Offers In Qatar (from Babaearly) by Nobody: 8:43am On Apr 07, 2011
^^^ Who is Creeks?? undecided

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Afi Mountain Wildlife Sanctuary Cross River: Photos & What To Know / If You are A Nigerian, Don't Ever Think Of Going To Namibia, read this.. / Burning Vehicle Causes Huge Traffic At Third Mainland Bridge (photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.