Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,719 members, 7,816,964 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 09:27 PM

Zabarmari: The Dividend Of Democracy - Presidency Or Development? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Zabarmari: The Dividend Of Democracy - Presidency Or Development? (369 Views)

Photos Of Soldiers Guarding & Assisting Zabarmari People Harvest Farm Produce / Boko Haram Gives Reason For Killing Farmers In Zabarmari, Issues New Warning / Thank Your Stars We’re In A Democracy : Presidency To Arewa Youths (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Zabarmari: The Dividend Of Democracy - Presidency Or Development? by StubbornWife(f): 10:22am On Nov 30, 2020
The location was Ikom, Cross River state circa June 2014, I was at a vulcanizer’s along the Ikom — Ekok — Mamfe (A4) highway, I told him I was a doctor and we chatted away. While we yet spoke, a Toyota Prada SUV sped past, with 5 or 6 other cars in its trail — driving so dangerously that other cars had to veer off the road. The license plate was covered, we were also covered with the dust it had raised, then I noticed my vulcanizer friend was smiling and gesticulating wildly; “Na my town’s man be dat, first time our community get House of Reps member, at least, make our pikin still go there go chop money; na our turn”. Hon. Member could drive at top speed because we were on the good portion of the highway, though the nearby Calabar — Ikom — Ogoja highway was a death trap; a 4-hr trip taking roughly around 12 hours.

For the average Nigerian, myself included, when any appointment is made or new policy announced, before checking the merits, we check the name of the appointee or beneficiaries, state of origin, tribe and if deductible from the name or the internet, his/their religion. Every national happening is viewed through the lens of its implications for the 2023 elections. Before common sense or truth can be applied, the question is — would it hurt my tribe’s chances of producing president? In the southwest, leaders and followers are increasingly worried that the ruling party might not honour its gentleman’s agreement to hand over power to the West in 2023; the issue is more distressing than food price inflation, shut borders, insecurity amongst other ills. In the Southeast, rather than collectively push for development from a government that has not minced words in stating that they might get only crumbs considering their meagre 5% contribution in birthing the present government, their leaders are bickering, scheming and crossing carpets in an attempt to be president in 2023; again, this is more important than fixing bad roads, insecurity, unemployment etc The political situation is unclear in the south-south, but like other Nigerians, people would rather sacrifice development on the altar of producing the next president.
The north’s case is special. The presidency’s response to the shocking execution of 43 farmers on Saturday in Zabarmari, Borno state reeked of diplomatic-speak — describing the killings as ‘senseless’, weary of repeatedly threatening stiffer measures for the severely degraded Boko Haram, the blame was shifted to the security agencies adding that “the President had given all the needed support to the armed forces to take all necessary steps to protect the country’s population and its territory”, and concluding with “My thoughts are with their families in this time of grief!” Just thoughts, not intentions, not actions, not a live address, not a trip to the affected community. Thoughts. Cold, impersonal, self-absolving, from-a-distance, more like how the UK government would react to local issues in faraway North Korea. 43 slaughtered in an open field, 66 unaccounted for.

The latest killings are a mirror image of happenings in the Northwest where bandits (or Boko Haram?) tax and kill farmers who insist on reaping where they have sown, but we live in denial refusing to admit that BH is now operational in the northwest and the whole of Nigeria, and also refuse to admit that the rising food prices are a product of the fact that farmers have been banned from going to their farms. If food prices are so high in harvest season, what would it look like during planting season? One of my patients from Dipchari even joked that they now kept Savings, Current and Ransom accounts, and insurance companies might need to look into providing Comprehensive Kidnapping insurance cover.
Despite these, the communique released at the end of the recent Northern Governors Forum meeting was unequivocal in their main agenda that the recent #EndSARS protests were aimed at removing their son, the president, from power, and that there was a pressing need to regulate social media. The topics of rampant kidnappings, dwindling fortunes of agriculture and general economic decline were barely touched. 2023 election permutations are more important than securing lives, properties, highways and railways. I agree with the commonly-held belief that no one dies unless God permits, I would add that no one can eat unless God permits and no one can gain power unless God permits, yet, we go out to work so we can eat, we don’t wait for God to throw down a leader from heaven — we go out to vote, but when the topic of holding our own leaders to account is raised, the hypocritical Godcentric nigerian-ness is brought to the fore.

While we continue our obsession with 2023, we might need to prepare for harder times as we continue to gloat over owing a big car that doesn’t have an engine. This is 2020, we still have three years to go…

Re: Zabarmari: The Dividend Of Democracy - Presidency Or Development? by FemolasticA: 10:24am On Nov 30, 2020
This is so pathetic sort to say! cry cry
Re: Zabarmari: The Dividend Of Democracy - Presidency Or Development? by Aladdin1(m): 10:43am On Nov 30, 2020
How we found ourselves there is strange.
Re: Zabarmari: The Dividend Of Democracy - Presidency Or Development? by StubbornWife(f): 11:33am On Nov 30, 2020
The apathy in the country borders on being diabolical. We didn't record this high death toll in the height of the COVID19 pandemic - let alone violent deaths as these.

We pray for God to rid us of this satanic government
Re: Zabarmari: The Dividend Of Democracy - Presidency Or Development? by KomonSense: 10:54pm On Dec 05, 2020
StubbornWife:
The location was Ikom, Cross River state circa June 2014, I was at a vulcanizer’s along the Ikom — Ekok — Mamfe (A4) highway, I told him I was a doctor and we chatted away. While we yet spoke, a Toyota Prada SUV sped past, with 5 or 6 other cars in its trail — driving so dangerously that other cars had to veer off the road. The license plate was covered, we were also covered with the dust it had raised, then I noticed my vulcanizer friend was smiling and gesticulating wildly; “Na my town’s man be dat, first time our community get House of Reps member, at least, make our pikin still go there go chop money; na our turn”. Hon. Member could drive at top speed because we were on the good portion of the highway, though the nearby Calabar — Ikom — Ogoja highway was a death trap; a 4-hr trip taking roughly around 12 hours.

For the average Nigerian, myself included, when any appointment is made or new policy announced, before checking the merits, we check the name of the appointee or beneficiaries, state of origin, tribe and if deductible from the name or the internet, his/their religion. Every national happening is viewed through the lens of its implications for the 2023 elections. Before common sense or truth can be applied, the question is — would it hurt my tribe’s chances of producing president? In the southwest, leaders and followers are increasingly worried that the ruling party might not honour its gentleman’s agreement to hand over power to the West in 2023; the issue is more distressing than food price inflation, shut borders, insecurity amongst other ills. In the Southeast, rather than collectively push for development from a government that has not minced words in stating that they might get only crumbs considering their meagre 5% contribution in birthing the present government, their leaders are bickering, scheming and crossing carpets in an attempt to be president in 2023; again, this is more important than fixing bad roads, insecurity, unemployment etc The political situation is unclear in the south-south, but like other Nigerians, people would rather sacrifice development on the altar of producing the next president.
The north’s case is special. The presidency’s response to the shocking execution of 43 farmers on Saturday in Zabarmari, Borno state reeked of diplomatic-speak — describing the killings as ‘senseless’, weary of repeatedly threatening stiffer measures for the severely degraded Boko Haram, the blame was shifted to the security agencies adding that “the President had given all the needed support to the armed forces to take all necessary steps to protect the country’s population and its territory”, and concluding with “My thoughts are with their families in this time of grief!” Just thoughts, not intentions, not actions, not a live address, not a trip to the affected community. Thoughts. Cold, impersonal, self-absolving, from-a-distance, more like how the UK government would react to local issues in faraway North Korea. 43 slaughtered in an open field, 66 unaccounted for.

The latest killings are a mirror image of happenings in the Northwest where bandits (or Boko Haram?) tax and kill farmers who insist on reaping where they have sown, but we live in denial refusing to admit that BH is now operational in the northwest and the whole of Nigeria, and also refuse to admit that the rising food prices are a product of the fact that farmers have been banned from going to their farms. If food prices are so high in harvest season, what would it look like during planting season? One of my patients from Dipchari even joked that they now kept Savings, Current and Ransom accounts, and insurance companies might need to look into providing Comprehensive Kidnapping insurance cover.
Despite these, the communique released at the end of the recent Northern Governors Forum meeting was unequivocal in their main agenda that the recent #EndSARS protests were aimed at removing their son, the president, from power, and that there was a pressing need to regulate social media. The topics of rampant kidnappings, dwindling fortunes of agriculture and general economic decline were barely touched. 2023 election permutations are more important than securing lives, properties, highways and railways. I agree with the commonly-held belief that no one dies unless God permits, I would add that no one can eat unless God permits and no one can gain power unless God permits, yet, we go out to work so we can eat, we don’t wait for God to throw down a leader from heaven — we go out to vote, but when the topic of holding our own leaders to account is raised, the hypocritical Godcentric nigerian-ness is brought to the fore.

While we continue our obsession with 2023, we might need to prepare for harder times as we continue to gloat over owing a big car that doesn’t have an engine. This is 2020, we still have three years to go…
https://rexkpit.medium.com/the-dividend-of-democracy-presidency-or-development-8a59e87ebf13

Man is a wicked being
Re: Zabarmari: The Dividend Of Democracy - Presidency Or Development? by DZTech: 12:43am On Dec 06, 2020
solutions?
StubbornWife:

https://rexkpit.medium.com/the-dividend-of-democracy-presidency-or-development-8a59e87ebf13

(1) (Reply)

Crossover Service: Lagos Govt. Denies Fining Defaulters ₦20,000 – ₦500,000 / One Word for General Mohammed Buhari, If you're opportuned to meet Him / President Buhari Arrives Daura On A Four-day Official Visit

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.