Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,615 members, 7,809,253 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 06:48 AM

2008 Acura MDX : Another DIY Transformation Story - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / 2008 Acura MDX : Another DIY Transformation Story (5435 Views)

Rate This Car Transformation On A Scale Of 1-10. / Amazing DIY Transformation Of A 1972 Mini (Mark III) In Bauchi / I Am Considering DIY Car Painting, What Do You Think? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

2008 Acura MDX : Another DIY Transformation Story by bizzle2: 9:17pm On Dec 01, 2020
This is a documentation of my second DIY upgrade journey; taking a car from stock to unique.
Finally got around to creating this thread after over a year of laziness and procrastination.

While thread is also intended to serve as a guide to others looking to do the same, It is primarily in preparation for the sale of this car in a month or two.
project spanned about 6 months; from order of parts and tools to completion( first quarter of 2019)

Total spend was about $2700- $2800 (excluding wheels which were sourced locally @N170k).

fun fact. . . . half of the items in this upgrade were procured before the car was even purchased.

Project bordered the following areas:

-Sound/Entertainment,

-Illumination,

-Suspension & control,

-Windows (tint)

-Backup Camera.

1. Sound/Entertainment upgrade entailed :

-headunit replacement
-speaker replacement (all four)
-sound deadening
-subwoofer installation

2. Illumination upgrade entailed

upgrade of all interior & exterior Lighting bulbs to High-quality LED alternatives..
.daytime running lights, fog lights, brake light, turn signal, reverse lights, cabin lights , door lights, HID xenon headlight bulbs everything

3. Backup camera install
this entailed the installation of an aftermarket camera from the Brand Motion company

4. Window tint :

Yeppp I shipped my own tint film in the specific brand and tint percentage I wanted and installed myself. This entailed the installation of the Geosheild 20% Nanoceramic film from tintzoom . details on this choice later.

5. Suspension/Control :

this entailed
-A brake rotor upgrade. : replaced the standard brake rotors with some drilled and slotted performance rotors from Powerstop.

-Ride Height upgrade: installed 35mm front strut spacers and rear coil spacers from the Tema4x4 brand, to increase ground clearance and make room for larger, wider tyres: resulting in a sportier, more agressive appearance, better road grip and wider stance.

I will be following with process pictures and details of parts used/installed

3 Likes

Re: 2008 Acura MDX : Another DIY Transformation Story by bizzle2: 9:25pm On Dec 01, 2020
Arrival of Some Supplies:

Kenwood Excelon DDX9904s

Rockford fostgate PUNCH P300-12 Powered subwoofer

Stinger Amplifier kit

Noico Sound deadening Mat. 80 Mil 36 sqft

Geosheild pronano ceramic tint film

Infinity kappa 62.11i speakers (by Harman Kardon) for the front doors

JBL GTO 629 speakers also tuned by Harman Kardon for the rear doors

harnesses, speaker adapters, flex tubing, plastic trim piece (for headset), harnesses, etc

3 Likes

Re: 2008 Acura MDX : Another DIY Transformation Story by bizzle2: 9:37pm On Dec 01, 2020

Re: 2008 Acura MDX : Another DIY Transformation Story by bizzle2: 9:48pm On Dec 01, 2020
First Step . . . . Replacement of the headunit.

One of the most challenging part of this project was installing the headunit.
My MDX came with the ELS surround sound sytem which is setup with a factory Amplifier and subwoofer) and because of this, changing the headunit wasnt a simple matter of swapping stereos and connecting with a harness. You have to find a way to send audio signal to the speakers while bypassing the factory amp.
After hours of research on Acurazine and MDXers forums , I got some insight into tapping into the audio feed... pre-amp, and running wires from there to the head unit harness (FOR ALL FOUR DOORS). this would have resulted in a very ugly job of cutting and joining , but for the blessing of T-taps.

As mentioned before Head unit of Choice : Kenwood DDX9904s ( about $750-800 at the time)
fantastic stereo, fantastic sound , Carplay, Android Auto, great audio customization, too many great features to list.

The below is a guide to the colour code for the amplifier wiring in second Gen MDXs.

2 Likes

Re: 2008 Acura MDX : Another DIY Transformation Story by bizzle2: 9:55pm On Dec 01, 2020
Amplifier is located in the pasenger side kick panel. ( Arrow points to the Amplifirer feed harness . ) which I had to disconnect and tap into

1 Like

Re: 2008 Acura MDX : Another DIY Transformation Story by HeavenlyBang(m): 9:56pm On Dec 01, 2020
Following.

1 Like

Re: 2008 Acura MDX : Another DIY Transformation Story by bizzle2: 9:58pm On Dec 01, 2020
-shows the harness disconnected
- shows head of T taps attached
- shows final tapping
- T taps, kenwood stereo harness, connectors and sundry items

the choice of blue for all cables and flex tubing is to distinguish my wiring from stock/factory

Re: 2008 Acura MDX : Another DIY Transformation Story by bizzle2: 10:11pm On Dec 01, 2020
pic 1 - the arrow in the picture below shows the cables attached to the knenwood harness ( goes into the rear of the radio) with red connectors.

pic 2 - shows the labeled end of the cables. labeling is necessary as the cables which have no colour coding are first fished from the stereo location down to the kick panel before the female part of the T-tap is attached .
so you have to know which exact wire/channel you're connecting to, at both the stereo harness end and the pre amp end ( following the Amplifier wiring diagram above)

2 Likes

Re: 2008 Acura MDX : Another DIY Transformation Story by obiekunie2: 10:15pm On Dec 01, 2020
common sense should tell u to first of all show us the full pic of the car u r transforming before showing us all this craps!

6 Likes

Re: 2008 Acura MDX : Another DIY Transformation Story by bizzle2: 10:16pm On Dec 01, 2020
T B C
Re: 2008 Acura MDX : Another DIY Transformation Story by bizzle2: 10:20pm On Dec 01, 2020
obiekunie2:
common sense should tell u to first of all show us the full pic of the car u r transforming before showing us all this craps!
commonsense is not common at all

5 Likes

Re: 2008 Acura MDX : Another DIY Transformation Story by obiekunie2: 10:22pm On Dec 01, 2020
bizzle2:

commonsense is not common at all

undiluted truth!

you proved it beyond any doubt!

5 Likes

Re: 2008 Acura MDX : Another DIY Transformation Story by HeavenlyBang(m): 10:29pm On Dec 01, 2020
obiekunie2:

Because na you buy the car for am na. Or because you dey pay am to make this thread.

Some of una go just carry phone dey type rubbish.

12 Likes

Re: 2008 Acura MDX : Another DIY Transformation Story by MrFinbarr(m): 10:38pm On Dec 01, 2020
obiekunie2:

Oga, please rest.
Car no be your own.
Upgrade no be for you.
Money, no be you spend.
Yet you are here dishing instructions?

Go and hide please.

11 Likes

Re: 2008 Acura MDX : Another DIY Transformation Story by bizzle2: 10:39pm On Dec 01, 2020
HeavenlyBang:

Because na you buy the car for am na. Or because you dey pay am to make this thread.

Some of una go just carry phone dey type rubbish.
Lol, what an id!ot. Serious laughter catch Me.

4 Likes

Re: 2008 Acura MDX : Another DIY Transformation Story by MARKone(m): 10:40pm On Dec 01, 2020
Don't mind the bomboclat talking about common sense, just continue with your post.

2 Likes

Re: 2008 Acura MDX : Another DIY Transformation Story by bizzle2: 10:43pm On Dec 01, 2020
obiekunie2:

undiluted truth!

you proved it beyond any doubt!
Right! ... but I'll show what the fok I want to show, whenever the fok I want to show it , Now fok off.
Re: 2008 Acura MDX : Another DIY Transformation Story by bizzle2: 10:50pm On Dec 01, 2020
MARKone:
Don't mind the bomboclat talking about common sense, just continue with your post.
I don try for today jare. Already put a TBC
Re: 2008 Acura MDX : Another DIY Transformation Story by adebankole74596: 5:40am On Dec 02, 2020
Amplifier is located in the pasenger side kick panel. ( Arrow points to the Amplifirer feed harness . ) which I had to disconnect and tap into
Re: 2008 Acura MDX : Another DIY Transformation Story by diportivo: 7:36am On Dec 02, 2020
adebankole74596:

oh really?

and u didnt tell us this before now?

oya open ur own thread make u tell us

no pour sansan for this one

tenk!!

2 Likes

Re: 2008 Acura MDX : Another DIY Transformation Story by AutoElectNG: 8:54am On Dec 02, 2020
bizzle2:
This is a documentation of my second DIY upgrade journey; taking a car from stock to unique.
Finally got around to creating this thread after over a year of laziness and procrastination.

While thread is also intended to serve as a guide to others looking to do the same, It is primarily in preparation for the sale of this car in a month or two.
project spanned about 6 months; from order of parts and tools to completion( first quarter of 2019)

Total spend was about $2700- $2800 (excluding wheels which were sourced locally @N170k).

fun fact. . . . half of the items in this upgrade were procured before the car was even purchased.

Project bordered the following areas:

-Sound/Entertainment,

-Illumination,

-Suspension & control,

-Windows (tint)

-Backup Camera.

1. Sound/Entertainment upgrade entailed :

-headunit replacement
-speaker replacement (all four)
-sound deadening
-subwoofer installation

2. Illumination upgrade entailed

upgrade of all interior & exterior Lighting bulbs to High-quality LED alternatives..
.daytime running lights, fog lights, brake light, turn signal, reverse lights, cabin lights , door lights, HID xenon headlight bulbs everything

3. Backup camera install
this entailed the installation of an aftermarket camera from the Brand Motion company

4. Window tint :

Yeppp I shipped my own tint film in the specific brand and tint percentage I wanted and installed myself. This entailed the installation of the Geosheild 20% Nanoceramic film from tintzoom . details on this choice later.

5. Suspension/Control :

this entailed
-A brake rotor upgrade. : replaced the standard brake rotors with some drilled and slotted performance rotors from Powerstop.

-Ride Height upgrade: installed 35mm front strut spacers and rear coil spacers from the Tema4x4 brand, to increase ground clearance and make room for larger, wider tyres: resulting in a sportier, more agressive appearance, better road grip and wider stance.

I will be following with process pictures and details of parts used/installed

There is something that stands out in your threads.

You do your homework.

Following

1 Like

Re: 2008 Acura MDX : Another DIY Transformation Story by 9icetoo(m): 4:46pm On Dec 02, 2020
Following
Re: 2008 Acura MDX : Another DIY Transformation Story by 2cribz: 5:07pm On Dec 02, 2020
Lol all of these for a crappy honda . In 2021 dem go dey sell am 2m. Why waste money on a crappy honda SUV why. Acura mdx na very useless suv

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: 2008 Acura MDX : Another DIY Transformation Story by HeavenlyBang(m): 5:27pm On Dec 02, 2020
2cribz:
Lol all of these for a crappy honda . In 2021 dem go dey sell am 2m. Why waste money on a crappy honda SUV why. Acura mdx na very useless suv

Oruvwe. E better pass your CRV wey no get AC.

14 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 2008 Acura MDX : Another DIY Transformation Story by 2cribz: 5:37pm On Dec 02, 2020
I drive an avalon 08 model . I go buy u .u no reach half of my money.
HeavenlyBang:

Oruvwe. E better pass your CRV wey no get AC.
Re: 2008 Acura MDX : Another DIY Transformation Story by HeavenlyBang(m): 6:47pm On Dec 02, 2020
2cribz:
I drive an avalon 08 model . I go buy u .u no reach half of my money.

Lol, you gats learn how to talk. Maybe you go see your helper for this Nairaland. wink

5 Likes

Re: 2008 Acura MDX : Another DIY Transformation Story by 2cribz: 6:52pm On Dec 02, 2020
My guy go sleep,most of u guys in reality are wothless and gpt nothing to offer. Na nairaland dey give una prestige,hopeless broke fucksz
HeavenlyBang:

Lol, you gats learn how to talk. Maybe you go see your helper for this Nairaland. wink
Re: 2008 Acura MDX : Another DIY Transformation Story by HeavenlyBang(m): 7:14pm On Dec 02, 2020
2cribz:
My guy go sleep,most of u guys in reality are wothless and gpt nothing to offer. Na nairaland dey give una prestige,hopeless broke fucksz

grin
Jobless yam.

6 Likes

Re: 2008 Acura MDX : Another DIY Transformation Story by diportivo: 12:06pm On Dec 03, 2020
2cribz:

the irony inside this post ehn grin

11 Likes

Re: 2008 Acura MDX : Another DIY Transformation Story by BamBamK: 3:36pm On Dec 03, 2020
how far the ML?? u don obtain am?

2cribz:
Re: 2008 Acura MDX : Another DIY Transformation Story by cluewebhost(m): 4:21pm On Dec 03, 2020
Best thread in a while here.

But we'd ruin it as usual grin

2 Likes

Re: 2008 Acura MDX : Another DIY Transformation Story by HeavenlyBang(m): 4:29pm On Dec 03, 2020
BamBamK:
how far the ML?? u don obtain am?

That one no get shishi. Na to smoke igbeaux, then come Nairaland dey misyarn.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

How Do I Know If A Car Custom Duty Has Been Paid ? / My Toyota Highlander Hybrid Won't Start: "Check Hybrid System" / Major Cons Of Two-door Cars

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.