Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,738 members, 7,831,346 topics. Date: Friday, 17 May 2024 at 05:26 PM

Can Wife's Change Of Name Court Paper Be Used As Marriage Certificate? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Can Wife's Change Of Name Court Paper Be Used As Marriage Certificate? (465 Views)

Diezani Allison-Madueke's House Used As COVID-19 Isolation Centre In Lagos / Armored Tanks Used As Barricades On The Major Roads In Port-Harcourt (Photos) / Akeredolu Snubs Handshake With Tinubu At APC Rally, Ajimobi Used As Shield (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Can Wife's Change Of Name Court Paper Be Used As Marriage Certificate? by Jogunomi1: 6:54pm On Dec 02, 2020
We had a traditional wedding. She then changed her name in court to bear my surname.

Can we use this as marriage certificate?
Re: Can Wife's Change Of Name Court Paper Be Used As Marriage Certificate? by fergie001: 7:16pm On Dec 02, 2020
I will still advise that she gets her marriage certificate via the Court.

Whilst this change of name might suffice....when going to embassies for passports, etc...it might be an issue.

So, I will advise you get the marriage Cert too (the better)

Congrats on your trad.

This thread did justice to your question;
https://www.nairaland.com/309192/how-change-last-name-after#4342784
Re: Can Wife's Change Of Name Court Paper Be Used As Marriage Certificate? by KenOne: 7:17pm On Dec 02, 2020
Jogunomi1:
We had a traditional wedding. She then changed her name in court to bear my surname.

Can we use this as marriage certificate?

Within Nigeria it will fly, but outside the country no, affidavit of change of name is part of document you tender to show as a married woman.

Go to any marriage registry in your state or local government and register your marriage you'll be issued a marriage registry certificate which is more valuable than any church marriage certificate.

It will cost you a little less than 20k you and your wife will be joined together according to Nigeria law marriage act.

First step is to make your intention to the marriage registry and pay little fee they'll give you a date 2-3 weeks to conduct it but with your PR you can do it within a week.

You need one witness from your wife's family and one from your family to sign the register.
Re: Can Wife's Change Of Name Court Paper Be Used As Marriage Certificate? by NwaNimo1(m): 7:18pm On Dec 02, 2020
Odikwa risky....
Re: Can Wife's Change Of Name Court Paper Be Used As Marriage Certificate? by Jogunomi1: 7:46pm On Dec 02, 2020
KenOne:

Within Nigeria it will fly, but outside the country no, affidavit of change of name is part of document you tender to show as a married woman.

Go to any marriage registry in your state or local government and register your marriage you'll be issued a marriage registry certificate which is more valuable than any church marriage certificate.

It will cost you a little less than 20k you and your wife will be joined together according to Nigeria law marriage act.

First step is to make your intention to the marriage registry and pay little fee they'll give you a date 2-3 weeks to conduct it but with your PR you can do it within a week.

You need one witness from your wife's family and one from your family to sign the register.

Thanks!
Re: Can Wife's Change Of Name Court Paper Be Used As Marriage Certificate? by edoairways: 8:04pm On Dec 02, 2020
I saw a video on Facebook when one fair lady insist on traditional wedding instead of church wedding. Though she supported court wedding,she said that only three churches in Nigeria are recognized for white wedding ( This is when you want to apply for visa at the embassy)
Re: Can Wife's Change Of Name Court Paper Be Used As Marriage Certificate? by OlujobaSamuel: 9:00pm On Dec 02, 2020
edoairways:
I saw a video on Facebook when one fair lady insist on traditional wedding instead of church wedding. Though she supported court wedding,she said that only three churches in Nigeria are recognized for white wedding ( This is when you want to apply for visa at the embassy)
Her sentiment/opinion is false. All churches or religious institution registered with Interior Ministry through the Federal Marriage Registry can conduct marriage and issue certificate duly recognised by the FG under the marriage act, and acceptable to all entity that requires you to present one.
Re: Can Wife's Change Of Name Court Paper Be Used As Marriage Certificate? by OlujobaSamuel: 9:08pm On Dec 02, 2020
Change of Name is different from Marriage Certificate.
I might have similar name to yours but not related to you.
Marriage Certificate is evidence of the relationship that exists between you. Just walk into a LGA around you and ask. Kindly find out if the Marriage Registry at the LGA issues that(certificate) of the federal government, I heard some states issues theirs (if true, it is not acceptable by FG or other entities like embassy).
You don't have to travel down to Ikoyi or any federal registry if it's not close to you, any LGA is cool and might even save you cost.
Re: Can Wife's Change Of Name Court Paper Be Used As Marriage Certificate? by edoairways: 8:35am On Dec 03, 2020
OlujobaSamuel:

Her sentiment/opinion is false. All churches or religious institution registered with Interior Ministry through the Federal Marriage Registry can conduct marriage and issue certificate duly recognised by the FG under the marriage act, and acceptable to all entity that requires you to present one.
They can't be use at the embassy as implied by her

(1) (Reply)

The North Would Rather Break Away Than Be Part Of A Restructured Nigeria. / Who Abduct Kankara Students? Bandits, Boko Haram Or Thieves? Clarify Please / Travel Guide To Avoid Falling Into The Hands Of Bandits & Kidnappers

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.