Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,607 members, 7,812,998 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 02:50 AM

Why Have Nigerians Abandoned Marina District In Lagos? - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why Have Nigerians Abandoned Marina District In Lagos? (39795 Views)

Have Nigerians Seen Only One Fuel Scarcity Under Buhari As Femi Adesina Claimed? / Katsina Elevates Dumurkul To A District In Daura / Official: PDP Won 2 Of 3 Senatorial District In Edo State (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Have Nigerians Abandoned Marina District In Lagos? by Aconomist: 8:18pm On Dec 02, 2020
RedPanthar:
Africans, rather than brain storm ways to improve and how to. They are busying fighting themselves one against the other. Igbos can't do thus, yoruba that. Hausas the other

I won't kill myself over Nigeria lai lai
I agree. We are failing on so many fronts. If not for the Lebanese in Lagos, the city would be a village. Lekki, Banana Island, Eko Atlantic where all developed by Lebanese investors -- specifically Chagoury Group while we just sit and bicker amongst ourselves.

8 Likes

Re: Why Have Nigerians Abandoned Marina District In Lagos? by Aconomist: 8:22pm On Dec 02, 2020
Re: Why Have Nigerians Abandoned Marina District In Lagos? by RedPanthar: 8:24pm On Dec 02, 2020
Aconomist:
I agree. We are failing on so many fronts. If not for the Lebanese in Lagos, the city would be a village. Lekki, Banana Island, Eko Atlantic where all developed by Lebanese investors -- specifically Chagoury Group while we just sit and bicker amongst ourselves.

The yoruba " oduduwa " as a region has many battles left and right and is distracted by the seemingly much battles to pay keen attention on outlining developmental fears

Till now, there's fear in Oduduwa about foreign people being prosperous in Oduduwa. Now, this fear stagnates forward thinking progress

The morbid fear that others will come take over.

The Marina and the likes needs high volume companies like oil and gas baking and telecom to push it up

The honest truth is Lagos, Marina and the entire SW needs more than raw/pure SW power to be able to push it up and this ought to be on the table. Sadly, Nigeria hasn't moved beyond ethnic reasoning

5 Likes

Re: Why Have Nigerians Abandoned Marina District In Lagos? by Aconomist: 8:36pm On Dec 02, 2020
RedPanthar:

The yoruba " oduduwa " as a region has many battles left and right and is distracted by the seemingly much battles to pay keen attention on outlining developmental fears

Till now, there's fear in Oduduwa about foreign people being prosperous in Oduduwa. Now, this fear stagnates forward thinking progress

The morbid fear that others will come take over.

The Marina and the likes needs high volume companies like oil and gas baking and telecom to push it up

The honest truth is Lagos, Marina and the entire SW needs more than raw/pure SW power to be able to push it up and this ought to be on the table. Sadly, Nigeria hasn't moved beyond ethnic reasoning
Yea, I've been eagerly awaiting when Dangote builds his headquarters (he has the cash to build something truly spectacular). Total ENP is also planning a building called "La Definition" in Eko Atlantic to house its employees. Facebook is planning its HQ in Ikoyi I think, but it hasn't been announced yet. Folorunsho's Famfa oil is also building in Ikoyi.

Some of the indigenous oil companies such as Amni Oil have decided to go to Eko Atlantic instead of Marina. Here is the prototype of their tower. It is right next to Alpha 1. Construction expected to start in 2021.

5 Likes

Re: Why Have Nigerians Abandoned Marina District In Lagos? by RedPanthar: 8:38pm On Dec 02, 2020
Aconomist:
Yea, I've been eagerly awaiting when Dangote builds his headquarters (either in Marina or Eko Atlantic). Total ENP is also planning a building called "La Definition" in Eko Atlantic to house its employees. Facebook is planning its HQ in Ikoyi I think, but it hasn't been announced yet. Folorunsho's Famfa oil is also building in Ikoyi.

Some of the indigenous oil companies such as Amni Oil have decided to go to Eko Atlantic instead of Marina. Here is the prototype of their tower. It is right next to Alpha 1. The big companies are all avoiding Marina sad

I've come across the masterplan a cross section of the Eko Atlantic masterplan and it's a masterclass. It's worth waiting for and would be a thing of pride to the SW. I congratulate you guys in advance

4 Likes

Re: Why Have Nigerians Abandoned Marina District In Lagos? by Aconomist: 8:42pm On Dec 02, 2020
RedPanthar:

I've come across the masterplan a cross section of the Eko Atlantic masterplan and it's a masterclass. It's worth waiting for and would be a thing of pride to the SW. I congratulate you guys in advance
Eko Atlantic truly is a masterpiece. Take a look at the progress so far. It's actually progressed further than what is shown in the video. Azuri is complete (except for cladding) work has started on A & A and La Definition. And they now conduct boat tours in the canal. God bless Chagoury Group for bringing this to lagos.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RvuuVxmsbW0

2 Likes

Re: Why Have Nigerians Abandoned Marina District In Lagos? by RedPanthar: 8:45pm On Dec 02, 2020
Aconomist:
Eko Atlantic truly is a masterpiece. Take a look at the progress so far. It's actually progressed further than what is shown in the video. Azuri is complete (except for cladding) work has started on A & A and La Definition. And they now conduct boat tours in the canal. God bless Chagoury Group for bringing this to lagos.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RvuuVxmsbW0

I saw good part of Eko Atlantic before the buildings. I like the way it's modelled to offices in buikdings having long term purchase plans.

If this is applied to Eko Atlantic, companies can begin to lure freelancers to come take up work space to work from and repopulate the empty buildings again

3 Likes

Re: Why Have Nigerians Abandoned Marina District In Lagos? by samuelchimmy(m): 9:51pm On Dec 02, 2020
RedPanthar:

My parents met themselves in Marina. Passed through or visited Marina for over 25 years. I'm providing answers based on reality

One can't go to marina or return from the mainland without spending hours on such trips. Life happened to Marina. Marina that used to be the next name after God is hardly known or acknowledged by the new generation

next name after God.? How? Mind the way you draw comparison biko

2 Likes

Re: Why Have Nigerians Abandoned Marina District In Lagos? by ghettochild4u(m): 10:06pm On Dec 02, 2020
Aconomist:
You are making excuses brother. If that is the reason Marina failed, then why are people building up area's like Lekki, Ikoyi and Eko Atlantic that are even further away from the mainland? If traffic was the issue, the solution would be to build more density (residential skyscrapers) at Marina so people won't have to commute to work. But Marina is full of abandoned buildings that haven't been converted into apartments and outside of the core business district in Victoria island, the area is almost like a slum.. full of short low density buildings renting for an astronomical amount.
Nigeria is still backward.. Come see residential skyscrapers in Johannesburg

2 Likes

Re: Why Have Nigerians Abandoned Marina District In Lagos? by sageprime(m): 11:34pm On Dec 02, 2020
Op, I recently heard of a scheme Eko eye condo. It is to be built in marina Lagos and it is to have 52 floors when completed.

I don't know if it is already approved but there is very little information about on the web.
Re: Why Have Nigerians Abandoned Marina District In Lagos? by generationz(f): 11:43pm On Dec 02, 2020
Aconomist:
It's senseless. With how high rents are in Lagos, why wouldn't someone just renovate the building and make some nice apartments that could easily rent for $2,000 to $6,000 a month? We like to blame government for everything, but reality Nigerians aren't thinking. We are just stangant people. If not for the lebanese, I doubt lagos would look much different from Ibadan in terms of a skyline.

Don'tt be surprised that some people might have thought about the idea and brought it up. But the demons in government will insist you bribe them first before any development can take place.

4 Likes

Re: Why Have Nigerians Abandoned Marina District In Lagos? by onegig(m): 12:58am On Dec 03, 2020
1. It is simple security of lives and businesses.

I dare anyone of you to walk around Marina past 7pm. I can't even drive on Broad street in the evening for fear of been attacked. A colleague's car windows was smashed with stones on that street and there are numerous tales of robbery on the Apongbon axis during rush hour traffic or early mornings. Regular gang fights happen on a steady basis.

It's proximity to Isale Eko and the littany of touts, thugs, shanties, slums and rowdy markets around the area makes it very hard to justify investment by blue chip companies. If UBA, First Bank or even Sterling would have their ways they would gladly relocate to VI or Ikoyi in an instant.

I walk and drive around VI at 12am or 1am . I dare not do that in Marina.

Investment thrives in areas of relative peace.

2. Accessibility of the roads.

Road networks are literally blocked around with all manner of wears by petty traders and rickety buses.

Try getting round Marina and come tell your story. Parking in Marina is one of the hardest things you can attempt. From touts extorting you in unauthorized parking spots to inefficient and unavailable car parks.

I wouldn't want to setup a meeting and select Marina ever for a client. So why would you as a developer want to build new structures there?

29 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Why Have Nigerians Abandoned Marina District In Lagos? by rossniti: 2:05am On Dec 03, 2020
Nairalandian:
If only the whole of Nigeria can look like what I'm seeing above

Does the whole of America look like New York City?

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Have Nigerians Abandoned Marina District In Lagos? by ednut1(m): 3:51am On Dec 03, 2020
Aconomist:
It's senseless. With how high rents are in Lagos, why wouldn't someone just renovate the building and make some nice apartments that could easily rent for $2,000 to $6,000 a month? We like to blame government for everything, but reality Nigerians aren't thinking. We are just stangant people. If not for the lebanese, I doubt lagos would look much different from Ibadan in terms of a skyline.
fear of legal tussle, investor can buy it now and Tommorow the real owner sues them.

2 Likes

Re: Why Have Nigerians Abandoned Marina District In Lagos? by RedPanthar: 4:24am On Dec 03, 2020
samuelchimmy:
next name after God.? How? Mind the way you draw comparison biko

Go understand idioms o chairman. How did I in anyway compare God with anything?

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Have Nigerians Abandoned Marina District In Lagos? by RedPanthar: 4:27am On Dec 03, 2020
onegig:
1. It is simple security or lives and businesses.

I dare anyone of you to walk around Marina past 7pm. I can't even drive on Broad street in the evening for fear of been attacked. A colleague's car windows was smashed with stones on that street and there are numerous tales of robbery on the Apongbon axis during rush hour traffic or early mornings. Regular gang fights happen on a steady basis.

It's proximity to Isale Eko and the littany of touts, thugs, shanties, slums and rowdy markets around the area makes it very hard to justify investment by blue chip companies. If UBA, First Bank or even Sterling would have their ways they would gladly relocate to VI or Ikoyi in an instant.

I walk and drive around VI at 12am or 1am . I dare not do that in Marina.

Investment thrives in areas of relative peace.

2. Accessibility of the roads.

Road networks are literally blocked around with all manner of wears by petty traders and rickety buses.

Try getting round Marina and come tell your story. Parking in Marina is one of the hardest things you can attempt. From touts extorting you in unauthorized parking spots to inefficient and unavailable car parks.

I wouldn't want to setup a meeting and select Marina ever for a client. So why would you as a developer want to build new structures there?

I picked up an accident victim that had a fractured skull only the general hospital at Marina could take. If you see the driving round and around it took me and time this took before we could navigate the way to the hospital ehn.!

2 Likes

Re: Why Have Nigerians Abandoned Marina District In Lagos? by Yankee101: 4:29am On Dec 03, 2020
The banks have offices there and I guess the city expects individual owners to develop their own properties
Re: Why Have Nigerians Abandoned Marina District In Lagos? by Nobody: 4:47am On Dec 03, 2020
rossniti:

But at least most of it looks good

1 Like

Re: Why Have Nigerians Abandoned Marina District In Lagos? by Bragalane: 4:49am On Dec 03, 2020
Do skyscrapers really cost 200 billion ?
Let say 10 - 15 storeys, I build house n sell n had my sight on accomplishing that but I am yet to even dream of 200 billion talk less of loan owning or borrowing it.

RedPanthar:

You're right. I get your point

Let's delve into civil engineering and architecture and discuss from engineering perspective

Modern architecture advocates more space by creating pretty large buildings. Something Asians like Chinese and Japanese learnt timely from Western countries necessitating the design and landscape use of new locations like UAE

It wasn't too long in history technological innovation behind sky scrappers became

Mark the word " affordably available "

To Build a sky scrapper like Oriental back in the ages would gulp 200 times the cost of doing so in its original version which even recently at foundational. Level of Oriental would cost billions

To Build Oriental just to its foundation would gulp billions ad I'm not saying 10 billion. Now, how many Nigerian businesses and brand or foreign brands were willing to experiment spending billions on skyscrapers when they could easily rent space in available ones. Take a look at Savannah bank building and the likes that has been under construction for years

The high construction cost back the of buildings in Marina jerked up rental costs which ultimately pushed business costs

Cities like Dubai and UAE were built at a time, Mark the word from my in depth research on sky scrapper were built on what technology has watered down to become extremely cheaper, providing more readily available technocrats and experts unlike limited experts of the past

What I'm trying to say is building mega cities in the past was extremely expensive. Building it in the present like in UAE is extremely cheap now. Hence it's cheaper to build a new Marina now, than it was or than to refurbish. To develop Marina, more Nigerian brands needs to become much more economically viable and the economic viability would stimulate the development

Lekki and Ajah are trending because individuals within personal financial power could afford it. Average housing project 50/300m. Skyscraper 200billion starting cost. Hence it's within the means of.. Bottoming is our corporate world doesnt command the financial power to serve as backbone for a fully industrialised Marina as you would have it in the western world's and the likes
Re: Why Have Nigerians Abandoned Marina District In Lagos? by GavelSlam: 5:39am On Dec 03, 2020
Nairalandian:

Yoi are mistaken.
Re: Why Have Nigerians Abandoned Marina District In Lagos? by rossniti: 5:42am On Dec 03, 2020
Nairalandian:

Why didn't you say ''look good'' in our own case instead of demanding everywhere looks like Marina?

1 Like

Re: Why Have Nigerians Abandoned Marina District In Lagos? by Nobody: 6:56am On Dec 03, 2020
rossniti:

Why didn't you say ''look good'' in our own case instead of demanding everywhere looks like Marina?
Because Marina looks good wink

1 Like

Re: Why Have Nigerians Abandoned Marina District In Lagos? by RedPanthar: 7:07am On Dec 03, 2020
Bragalane:
Let say 10 - 15 storeys, I build house n sell n had my sight on accomplishing that but I am yet to even dream of 200 billion talk less of loan owning or borrowing it.

Building anything like a sky scrapper around Marina and Co would gulp heavy sums because of the heavy expense the foundation would gulp. Unlike in non watery locations

1 Like

Re: Why Have Nigerians Abandoned Marina District In Lagos? by Malawian(m): 8:34am On Dec 03, 2020
Christistruth00:

Be honest with yourself Marina ran out of Space since the 1980s.

Reclaimation of Land from the Ocean is cheaper and easier in some areas but I suspect the Water level in Marina was already too deep.
Behind all that Marina are just shanties that needs yo be levelled for new high rise. Nothing concerns the ocean here.

1 Like

Re: Why Have Nigerians Abandoned Marina District In Lagos? by Gerrard59(m): 10:05am On Dec 03, 2020
Aconomist:
Why didn't these factors stop Dubai's skyline from growing?

What was the UAE's economic growth during that period compared to Nigeria's? How open is the Nigeria's economy compared to the UAE's?
Re: Why Have Nigerians Abandoned Marina District In Lagos? by Gerrard59(m): 10:12am On Dec 03, 2020
Aconomist:
You don't understand real estate. Marina is full of space, we are just wasting it. Even in the picture above, you can see many short wasteful buildings. In a white country, buildings like that would have been demolished to make way for skyscrapers. That is why cities like Dubai and New York are so tall. They build taller buildings to CREATE more space.

Us Africans are very stagnant people. Even with the astronomical rents on Victoria Island, most of the buildings are still 1 --5 stories. Why shouldn't rent be astronomical in a city of 20 million people with tiny buildings? Weep for Nigeria.

Nigerians are poor to power an economy where her major cities have skyscrapers. If you leave Lagos, no Nigerian city has skyscrapers as Lagos compared to South Africa, Brazil, Mexico etc. Also, power supply is an issue for buildings in a city where there's no constant electricity. Do you expect these organisations to burn diesel for 24/7 365 days?

Let Nigeria experience GDP growth of 10%+, the number of skyscrapers will increase across the country. Everything boils down to the general state of the economy.

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Have Nigerians Abandoned Marina District In Lagos? by Gerrard59(m): 10:14am On Dec 03, 2020
RedPanthar:

You're right. I get your point

build a new Marina now, than it was or than to refurbish. To develop Marina, more Nigerian brands needs to become much more economically viable and the economic viability would stimulate the development

Lekki and Ajah are trending because individuals within personal financial power could afford it. Average housing project 50/300m. Skyscraper 200billion starting cost. Hence it's within the means of.. Bottoming is our corporate world doesnt command the financial power to serve as backbone for a fully industrialised Marina as you would have it in the western world's and the likes
Re: Why Have Nigerians Abandoned Marina District In Lagos? by Aconomist: 12:43pm On Dec 03, 2020
generationz:

Don'tt be surprised that some people might have thought about the idea and brought it up. But the demons in government will insist you bribe them first before any development can take place.
A bribe won't stop a serious investor. We love to make excuses.

2 Likes

Re: Why Have Nigerians Abandoned Marina District In Lagos? by Aconomist: 12:48pm On Dec 03, 2020
Bragalane:

Skyscrapers cost $1 million per storey. So 15 stories should cost around $15 million, which is 5.6 billion naira. Since this is Nigeria, double the cost to 11 billion naira.

If you want to spend 200 billion naira, that would be over 100 stories.

1 Like

Re: Why Have Nigerians Abandoned Marina District In Lagos? by Aconomist: 12:52pm On Dec 03, 2020
rossniti:

Even a small city in the U.S looks more developed than Lagos.

7 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Photos From The Launch Of Bayo Omoboriowo's Book "Buhari, A New Beginning" / President Buhari Commissions OLAM Feed Mill In Kaduna (Photos) / Hameed Ibrahim Ali Flies Jet To Lagos (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 74
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.