Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,005 members, 7,817,969 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 12:32 AM

Yoruba Words That Mean The Same In Edo - Culture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Yoruba Words That Mean The Same In Edo (58160 Views)

Ibo Word That Mean The Same In Edo / Check Out This Yoruba Words For A Glutton / Every Word In Ancient Hebrew Torah Are in Yoruba words; sample GEN 9 ver 21-24 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (15) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Yoruba Words That Mean The Same In Edo by peacefull(f): 5:51am On Dec 05, 2020
soundOsonic:
There are more than 500 words in Edo that are similar to that of the Japanese with the same meaning.
In fact there is a place in Japan called Edo. And Japanese culture is similar to that of the Edo culture when I am free I will write an article on that

This is very interesting to me!

Please if I'm not bothering you or not disturbing you, I want you to teach me where can I read it?

1 Like

Re: Yoruba Words That Mean The Same In Edo by Nobody: 8:15am On Dec 05, 2020
gregyboy:

Biko, stop this nonsense talk there
Lol
Calm down. Una no dey like use eye see stuffs like this.
Na God create una to be one ooooo
Re: Yoruba Words That Mean The Same In Edo by Etinosa12345: 11:17am On Dec 05, 2020
MyopicMods:
1. “Omo”

It means “child” in both Yoruba and Edo.
Its called omomo in Benin ... Not omo

2. “Igbo/Ugbo”

“Igbo” is commonly said by Yoruba, but in some dialects, “Ugbo” is also used and it means the same thing in both Yoruba and Edo.

I've never heard of ugbo used in Yoruba... Its always igbo

3. “Baba”

It means “Father” in both Yoruba and Edo.
This is wrong... Erha is used as father in Edo not Yoruba

4. “Oba”

It means “King” in Yoruba and it also means the same thing in Edo.

5. “Iye/Yeye”

The Yoruba might use “Yeye” more but the words mean the same thing in Yoruba and Edo; “Mother”.
Iye and yeye are not the same that it can be corrupted
It could be that due to the influence of Benin in the eastern Yoruba states, that was how the word yeye entered the Yoruba vocabulary

6. “Unu/Enu”

Some Yoruba dialects switch the “u” for the “e” in “enu”, so it’s the same thing with Edo and it means, “Mouth”.
In Igbo ,its called Onu

7. “Ogede/Oghede”

Apart from the slight different spellings, these words are pronouncd the same and mean the same; “Plantain/Banana”.

8. “Ibata/Bata”

If you can unlook the other ‘i’, this word is really the same thing in both Yoruba and Edo and it means, “Shoe”.

https://www.zikoko.com/life/oldies/8-yoruba-words-mean-thing-edo/

I don't know the meaning of the rest...

Cc: Etrusen

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Yoruba Words That Mean The Same In Edo by Etinosa12345: 11:19am On Dec 05, 2020
Unclekayfarms:
[s]
Yoruba never took Oba from the Bini the Original Bini were Yorubas and Oba has been the title of Yoruba kings before the first Oba of Bini[/s]

Whats this nonsense...

Benin has always been Benin every time...

Even owomika was corrupted to eweka according to myth

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Yoruba Words That Mean The Same In Edo by Etinosa12345: 11:21am On Dec 05, 2020
Notatribalist:

Imade/Imade

Idowu/Idowu

Both are Yoruba and Edo names.

Imade was originally a Benin name meaning I stood firm... ...

Clearly doesn't mean the same thing in Yoruba

It has a full pronunciation not just imade

Idowu is not a Benin name

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Yoruba Words That Mean The Same In Edo by Etinosa12345: 11:25am On Dec 05, 2020
gregyboy:

Baba is for very old people (80-100)

Epa is used for young old men (40-70)

In benin

Benin doesn't use Baba... They use erha

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Yoruba Words That Mean The Same In Edo by Etinosa12345: 11:31am On Dec 05, 2020
soundOsonic:
There are more than 500 words in Edo that are similar to that of the Japanese with the same meaning.
In fact there is a place in Japan called Edo. And Japanese culture is similar to that of the Edo culture when I am free I will write an article on that

Pls do bro... Before some ignorant pple start tagging us as Yorubas...

We are Benin, always Benin and not under any tribe

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: Yoruba Words That Mean The Same In Edo by Etinosa12345: 11:47am On Dec 05, 2020
Unclekayfarms:
Yoruba. Bini

Aje. Axen. Witch

Ologbo. Ologbo. Cat

Obuko. Ovuko. Male goat

Elede. Elede. Pig

Omi. Amen water (sounds alike)

Ogun. Ogun. God of thunder

Sango. Esango.

Pepeye. Pepeye. Duck

Adiye. Adiye. Chicken

Iyi. Iyi. Respect

Them too many jare

Sango is not a Benin word

Omi and amen doesn't sound alike

Iyi in Benin means established law...

According to the first dictionary by Ajayi Crowther, Ologbo doesn't mean Cat..

Most of the words apart from pepeye don't mean the same thing...

Goat means ewe in Benin... NOT ovuko

The Benin doesn't have word x in its vocabulary

Updating

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Yoruba Words That Mean The Same In Edo by Ideadoctor(m): 11:54am On Dec 05, 2020
Yoruba greatly influenced the Benin cultural, which is the probable reason why some people mix Yoruba and Benin people together

5 Likes

Re: Yoruba Words That Mean The Same In Edo by Etinosa12345: 11:57am On Dec 05, 2020
Ideadoctor:
Yoruba greatly influenced the Benin cultural, which is the probable reason why some people mix Yoruba and Benin people together

How did they greatly do so?

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Yoruba Words That Mean The Same In Edo by Etrusen(m): 12:25pm On Dec 05, 2020
Etinosa12345:

Its called omomo in Benin ... Not omo

I've never heard of ugbo used in Yoruba... Its always igbo

This is wrong... Erha is used as father in Edo not Yoruba

Iye and yeye are not the same that it can be corrupted
It could be that due to the influence of Benin in the eastern Yoruba states, that was how the word yeye entered the Yoruba vocabulary

In Igbo ,its called Onu

I don't know the meaning of the rest...

Cc: Etrusen

all this Yoruba people just sit down to compose rubbish

even if most of the word mean the same thing it only shows how African tribes are close either through trade or meeting for example can we now say Benin is from Igbo because "unu and Onu sounds alike" ?
or can we now say Yoruba's are from Hausa or Fulani because some word sounds alike in both tribe ?

if a Yoruba man a particular word is theirs I as an Edo man can also say that particular word is ours after all Ondo,Ekiti,Ogun,Lagos, and Osun were undeniably influence by Benin the only state this likely free from Benin is Oyo.

the only historical meeting between Benin and Oyo was at Otun ( Ekiti state) through Iyase Ekpenede.

Benin was undeniably in existence before even the Ekalederhan/ Oduduwa period which has caused historical spark between both tribe
can we now say Benin never had a language before this period? definitely NO.

it is undeniable that all tribes in Nigeria came across each other in history one way or the other that is why we have some similarities but you cannot just decide to say a particular word belong to your tribe because others used same word making them a descendant of your tribe.

language exchange among various Nigeria tribe
are among what transpired in ancient time so it is only a clouded tribal bigot that will come online to make baseless rant

my bro Etinosa1234 leave this one make he dey deceive himself.

16 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Yoruba Words That Mean The Same In Edo by Etinosa12345: 12:27pm On Dec 05, 2020
Etrusen:

even if most of the word mean the same thing it only shows how African tribes are close either through trade or meeting for example can we now say Benin is from Igbo because "unu and Onu sounds alike" ?
or can we now say Yoruba's are from Hausa or Fulani because some word sounds alike in both tribe ?

if a Yoruba man a particular word is theirs I as an Edo man can also say that particular word is ours after all Ondo,Ekiti,Ogun,Lagos, and Osun were undeniably influence by Benin the only state this likely free from Benin is Oyo.

the only historical meeting between Benin and Oyo was at Otun ( Ekiti state) through Iyase Ekpenede.

Benin was undeniably in existence before even the Ekalederhan/ Oduduwa period which has caused historical spark between both tribe

it is undeniable that all tribes in Nigeria came across each other in history one way or the other that is why we have some similarities but you cannot just decide to say a particular word belong to your tribe because others used same word making them a descendant of your tribe.

are among what transpired in ancient time so it is only a clouded tribal bigot that will come online to make baseless rant

The truth is that we'll have to correct the ones we can correct.. otherwise some people will still remain ignorant...

2 Likes

Re: Yoruba Words That Mean The Same In Edo by Unclekayfarms: 12:58pm On Dec 05, 2020
Etinosa12345:

Sango is not a Benin word

Omi and amen doesn't sound alike

Iyi in Benin means established law...

According to the first dictionary by Ajayi Crowther, Ologbo doesn't mean Cat..

Most of the words apart from pepeye don't mean the same thing...

Goat means ewe in Benin... NOT ovuko

The Benin doesn't have word x in its vocabulary

Updating
Esango is not a Bini word? R u sane?

Ayelala nko?

Olokun?

Obvuko is not a male goat?

Elede?

Which tribe r u?

2 Likes

Re: Yoruba Words That Mean The Same In Edo by gregyboy(m): 1:02pm On Dec 05, 2020
Etinosa12345:

Benin doesn't use Baba... They use erha

Dey call it Ebaba bini use it for very aged people but the usage is dieing out inreplacement of edionwman
Re: Yoruba Words That Mean The Same In Edo by Unclekayfarms: 1:09pm On Dec 05, 2020
Etrusen:

There was no Bini before Oranmiyan came to Benin it was Igodomigodo the Ogiso called their lands.
The whole Egor local government was Yoruba earlier settlement reach Uselu.

5 Likes

Re: Yoruba Words That Mean The Same In Edo by Etinosa12345: 1:11pm On Dec 05, 2020
Unclekayfarms:

Esango is not a Bini word? R u sane?

Ayelala nko?

Olokun?

Obvuko is not a male goat?

Elede?

Which tribe r u?

In a plain Benin language.. esango doesn't mean anything in Benin... They are simply borrowed words...

Olokun is said to mean goddess of the sea... But does sea mean okun or any of such in Benin

Ewe means goat... Male goat can also be called ewe-okpia

Yoruba -Oruko - he-goat
Ur obvuko means bad person in Benin

5 Likes

Re: Yoruba Words That Mean The Same In Edo by Etinosa12345: 1:13pm On Dec 05, 2020
gregyboy:

Dey call it Ebaba bini use it for very aged people but the usage is dieing out inreplacement of edionwman

I think the word is as of recent...

My step grandma aged 105 who died recently never used the word ebaba for once... She always said edionwman when she wants to refer to an old man

3 Likes

Re: Yoruba Words That Mean The Same In Edo by Etinosa12345: 1:15pm On Dec 05, 2020
Unclekayfarms:

There was no Bini before Oranmiyan came to Benin it was Igodomigodo the Ogiso called their lands.
The whole Egor local government was Yoruba earlier settlement reach Uselu.

The ado communities in ekiti is an earlier settlement of the Benin Esp as ado is what the Yorubas call us

2 Likes

Re: Yoruba Words That Mean The Same In Edo by gregyboy(m): 1:22pm On Dec 05, 2020
Etinosa12345:

I think the word is as of recent...

My step grandma aged 105 who died recently never used the word ebaba for once... She always said edionwman when she wants to refer to an old man

Nope, ebaba is there you check an edo dictionary
Just like we have two words for same thing
In Benin

Onisan/ikebbe=yansh
Ebaba/edionmwan =old men
Re: Yoruba Words That Mean The Same In Edo by Unclekayfarms: 1:24pm On Dec 05, 2020
Etinosa12345:

The ado communities in ekiti is an earlier settlement of the Benin Esp as ado is what the Yorubas call us
Edo is originally Ado. Is from Yoruba words. Igodomigodo people cannot say d word Ado like d Yoruba does, they prefer to say Edo until this day.

All yorubas called the Edos "Ado" because is Ado that's meaningful

4 Likes

Re: Yoruba Words That Mean The Same In Edo by Etinosa12345: 1:26pm On Dec 05, 2020
gregyboy:

Nope, ebaba is there you check an edo dictionary
Just like we have two words for same thing
In Benin

Onisan/ikebbe=yansh
Ebaba/edionmwan =old men

I saw evbavba in a dictionary
Re: Yoruba Words That Mean The Same In Edo by Etinosa12345: 1:29pm On Dec 05, 2020
Unclekayfarms:

Edo is originally Ado. Is from Yoruba words. Igodomigodo people cannot say d word Ado like d Yoruba does, they prefer to say Edo until this day.

All yorubas called the Edos "Ado" because is Ado that's meaningful

Nope... The name Edo According to Benin history came during the time of Oba Ewuare... It was not a name given to the Benin by the Yoruba...

So the Yoruba people can not say the word Edo like the Benin does.. they prefer to say ado until this day

There... I've corrected u

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Yoruba Words That Mean The Same In Edo by gregyboy(m): 1:31pm On Dec 05, 2020
Etinosa12345:

I saw evbavba in a dictionary

That would be d correct spelling then the v is silent
Re: Yoruba Words That Mean The Same In Edo by Unclekayfarms: 1:32pm On Dec 05, 2020
Etinosa12345:

In a plain Benin language.. esango doesn't mean anything in Benin... They are simply borrowed words...

Olokun is said to mean goddess of the sea... But does sea mean okun or any of such in Benin

Ewe means goat... Male goat can also be called ewe-okpia
Yoruba -Oruko - he-goat
Ur obvuko means bad person in Benin
You still neva tell me your tribe cause I cannot waste my time chating with an Igbo man that has visited Benin.
U mean Ovbukhor is not he-goat in Benin?

2 Likes

Re: Yoruba Words That Mean The Same In Edo by Unclekayfarms: 1:34pm On Dec 05, 2020
Etinosa12345:

Nope... The name Edo According to Benin history came during the time of Oba Ewuare... It was not a name given to the Benin by the Yoruba...

So the Yoruba people can not say the word Edo like the Benin does.. they prefer to say ado until this day

Can u tell me d meaning of Edo in Bini? I just asked my Benin wife...she doesn't even know it but Ado has a meaning in Yoruba.

2 Likes

Re: Yoruba Words That Mean The Same In Edo by Etinosa12345: 1:35pm On Dec 05, 2020
Unclekayfarms:

Can u tell me d meaning of Edo in Bini? I just asked my Benin wife...she doesn't even know it but Ado has a meaning in Yoruba.

Blessing.. the blessed man...

Another told me it means pride
Re: Yoruba Words That Mean The Same In Edo by Unclekayfarms: 1:37pm On Dec 05, 2020
Etinosa12345:

Don't make mistake, all these early Benin kings and Yorubas are the same. They are not Igodomigodo.

1 Like

Re: Yoruba Words That Mean The Same In Edo by Etinosa12345: 1:38pm On Dec 05, 2020
Unclekayfarms:

Don't make mistake, all this early Benin kings and Yorubas are the same. They are not Igodomigodo.

Provide me a Yoruba story that says that Edo was named by the Yoruba and I'll do mine also

9 Likes

Re: Yoruba Words That Mean The Same In Edo by Unclekayfarms: 1:39pm On Dec 05, 2020
Etinosa12345:

Pride
There's no pride here but the truth that u refused to admit.
No b u talk say Ovbukhor doesn't mean he goat?

1 Like

Re: Yoruba Words That Mean The Same In Edo by Etinosa12345: 1:40pm On Dec 05, 2020
Etinosa12345:

Blessing.. the blessed man...

Another told me it means pride
Unclekayfarms:

There's no pride here but the truth that u refused to admit.
No b u talk say Ovbukhor doesn't mean he goat?

Check it, I modified it...

Even if Ovbukhor means he-goat in Benin... It doesn't have the same spelling as Yoruba "oruko
Re: Yoruba Words That Mean The Same In Edo by Etrusen(m): 1:42pm On Dec 05, 2020
Etinosa12345:

The truth is that we'll have to correct the ones we can correct.. otherwise some people will still remain ignorant...

you are correct.

personally I believe the Yoruba's adopt some of our words just as we adopt some of their words which makes it a fair share

even just as the Igbo adopt some Edo and Yoruba words and both adopting Igbo words

these are what makes us unique as a people but some tribal bigot nor go let person heard word especially the Yoruba people

I don't see reason why one clown will come online to make nonsense rant.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Yoruba Words That Mean The Same In Edo by Unclekayfarms: 1:46pm On Dec 05, 2020
Etinosa12345:

Provide me a Yoruba story that says that Edo was named by the Yoruba and I'll do mine also
From Kogi, Lagos, Kwara, Oyo, Ondo, Ekiti, Osun, Ogun reach Benin republic all our Yoruba parents refer to Benin as Ado unlike Ubinu which is derogatory.

The Yorubas that migrated into Igodomigodo saw unoccupied lands and called it "Ado" which means our new settlement.

It's now the Yorubas start calling it Edo unlike our parents.

We have Ado yam meaning Edo yam variety

We have Ado pepper

We have Ado Plantain etc all named after Edo products in d southwest.

4 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (15) (Reply)

Groomsmen In Igbo Traditional Attire Will Make Ladies Drool (pictures) / Only The Ooni Of Ife Can Inherit The Late Ooni’s Widows Says Tradition(pictures) / Ooni Ogunwusi Wedding Invitation & Details,To Marry Wuraola Obanor Next Saturday

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.