Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,161 members, 7,815,057 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 06:20 AM

Why Are The Igbo People Always Very Cunning? - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Why Are The Igbo People Always Very Cunning? (2825 Views)

A Brief Profile Of The Igbo People Of Jamaica / Ooni Of Ife: The Igbo Race Is First In The World To Discover, Nurture Wealth / Red Ibo In Jamaica: A Profile Of The Igbo People Of Jamaica (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Are The Igbo People Always Very Cunning? by AwesomeE: 6:57pm On Dec 05, 2020
I have interacted with a lot of Nigerians, out of which 70-80% of the people I interact with are Igbos. But I find that almost everyone of them (Igbos) are cunning, both in their character, reasoning, and behavioural patterns.

Why is this so?

By cunning, I mean they pretty much always attempt to achieve their ends by deceit or evasion. And they do this in a shrewd or sly manner.

Another thing about them is that if other tribes are involved in a dealing of whatever nature, Igbos always try to side fellow Igbos no matter how unfair.

From my experience and observations, most of these folks are almost never completely genuine. If you befriend them, they'll always want to be the major beneficiary of the friendship.

PS: If you're Igbo, please understand that I don't hate you (like I said, 70-80% of my interactions happen with Igbos); I'm only curious to know what's up based on my observations.

11 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Why Are The Igbo People Always Very Cunning? by NosoChic: 7:06pm On Dec 05, 2020
There is no monolithic description to any group of people.

You just need to meet the right set of people. Humans can be cunny...it's not just for a tribe.

13 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Why Are The Igbo People Always Very Cunning? by Mutemenot(m): 7:08pm On Dec 05, 2020
The Igbos says a stick does not pluck the eye of a sensible child twice. Another saying by the Igbos; it's only a foolish child that cultivates across his father's farm boundary .
So check well if you allowed a stick to pluck u twice or have cultivated beyond your father's farm land.

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Are The Igbo People Always Very Cunning? by BusinessCity: 7:09pm On Dec 05, 2020
Lol
Re: Why Are The Igbo People Always Very Cunning? by MightySparrow: 7:34pm On Dec 05, 2020
Mutemenot:
The Igbos says a stick does not pluck the eye of a sensible child twice. Another saying by the Igbos; it's only a foolish child that cultivates across his father's farm boundary .
So check well if you allowed a stick to pluck u twice or have cultivated beyond your father's farm land.
evil is evil no matter how beautifully you paint it. The same reason other tribes are tactically resisting Igbo presidential interest. We have seen how they introduced coup to Nigerian political system. Having been mastered by others, they are restrained by retirement by the time they reached Colonel. You have to be trustworthy to win people's trust. Who would want to thrust his life into hands of Shylocks?

The problem of Igbos in Nigeria is purely behavioural. To get presidency will be a bit difficult by the unwritten constitution of Nigeria. To let go I don't subscribe, personally, stay with the the rest of us to learn how to live with honesty with human beings in your zoogeria.
Re: Why Are The Igbo People Always Very Cunning? by AwesomeE: 7:56pm On Dec 05, 2020
NosoChic:
There is no monolithic description to any group of people.

You just need to meet the right set of people. Humans can be cunny...it's not just for a tribe.

You're probably Igbo and that's why you're displaying this supererogatory self-defense in your comment.

To reiterate, I have met many Nigerians, out of which the majority are Igbos. Thus, I'm speaking from real-world experience. Why must it always be the Igbos that put up these sort of behaviours.
Re: Why Are The Igbo People Always Very Cunning? by Antivirus92(m): 7:57pm On Dec 05, 2020
MightySparrow:
evil is evil no matter how beautifully you paint it. The same reason other tribes are tactically resisting Igbo presidential interest. We have seen how they introduced coup to Nigerian political system. Having been mastered by others, they are restrained by retirement by the time they reached Colonel. You have to be trustworthy to win people's trust. Who would want to thrust his life into hands of Shylocks?

The problem of Igbos in Nigeria is purely behavioural. To get presidency will be a bit difficult by the unwritten constitution of N
igeria. To let go I don't subscribe, personally, stay with the the rest of us to learn how to live with honesty with human beings in your zoogeria.

NONSENSE!
Always typing rubbish,,,,,
have u taken time to learn what we observed about u people too?

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Are The Igbo People Always Very Cunning? by MightySparrow: 8:20pm On Dec 05, 2020
Antivirus92:
NONSENSE!
Always typing rubbish,,,,,
have u taken time to learn what we observed about u people too?
write your observations, l
Let us learn
Re: Why Are The Igbo People Always Very Cunning? by onward4life(m): 8:32pm On Dec 05, 2020
AwesomeE:
I have interacted with a lot of Nigerians, out of which 70-80% of the people I interact with are Igbos. But I find that almost everyone of them (Igbos) are cunning, both in their character, reasoning, and behavioural patterns.

Why is this so?

By cunning, I mean they pretty much always attempt to achieve their ends by deceit or evasion. And they do this in a shrewd or sly manner.

Another thing about them is that if other tribes are involved in a dealing of whatever nature, Igbos always try to side fellow Igbos no matter how unfair.

From my experience and observations, most of these folks are almost never completely genuine. If you befriend them, they'll always want to be the major beneficiary of the friendship.

PS: If you're Igbo, please understand that I don't hate you (like I said, 70-80% of my interactions happen with Igbos); I'm only curious to know what's up based on my observations.

Try other tribes that are police officers

Cum crumb

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Are The Igbo People Always Very Cunning? by Obalatule: 9:07pm On Dec 05, 2020
Akuko anaaga!!!

8 Likes

Re: Why Are The Igbo People Always Very Cunning? by jesmond3945: 9:13pm On Dec 05, 2020
AwesomeE:

Why is this so?

I would say you are stereotyping a group of people which is very very bad. Infact it is racism. Your mind has always told you that an average igbo man is cunning even when you meet the good ones your mind has already judged that person based on your experience with the bad people. I would advise to always have open mind, don't judge people. You don't know every igbo man. We have cunning yoruba and hausa people. You would never know to you meet them. I term them bad people and it would make me to focus on the good ones. So purge your mind and treat people based on their behaviour and not from where they come from.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Are The Igbo People Always Very Cunning? by RedboneSmith(m): 9:13pm On Dec 05, 2020
80% of your interactions are with Igbos, leaving only 20% for the other 200+ ethnic groups.

You don't see any problem with this sample distribution, as regards making a comparative analysis of Igbo behavior vis-a-vis other groups?

10 Likes

Re: Why Are The Igbo People Always Very Cunning? by Nobody: 10:28pm On Dec 05, 2020
AwesomeE:

Why is this so?

Then don't befriend them. Mind your own business. Na by force to be friends or na by force to interact.

If your friendship doesn't bring any benefit, what's the need for it. You deserve to be kicked out then.

Leave Igbos and befriend those that are straight forward.

That's all.. nobody give a damn about your opinion.

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Are The Igbo People Always Very Cunning? by NosoChic: 11:31am On Dec 06, 2020
AwesomeE:

You're probably Igbo and that's why you're displaying this supererogatory self-defense in your comment.

To reiterate, I have met many Nigerians, out of which the majority are Igbos. Thus, I'm speaking from real-world experience. Why must it always be the Igbos that put up these sort of behaviours.

Like I say ..to each man his own. If you travel and live amongst other races, you'll understand there is good and bad in every group of people. It is left for you to choose who to interact with.

2 Likes

Re: Why Are The Igbo People Always Very Cunning? by pocohantas(f): 4:30pm On Dec 06, 2020
I have had a lot of my colleagues tell me this. They go further to give me that backhanded compliment- “you don’t act like your sisters (people)”. I always remind them I am Igbo, while clarifying or countering stereotypes.

I like to think I am detribalized, but somehow I can’t relate to this opinion of yours. However, the average Igbo person is indeed very competitive, in the process they might do things or make decisions that might come off as cunning.

5 Likes

Re: Why Are The Igbo People Always Very Cunning? by Emyogalanya: 9:51am On Dec 07, 2020
AwesomeE:

Why is this so?

why not channel your declings towards other tribes ? And leave igbos alone. What do you still want to find out ? The truth is you tried to cheat an igbo man and he did not give you that chance and now you bring it here as complaint keep crying

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Are The Igbo People Always Very Cunning? by rossniti: 2:34am On Dec 08, 2020
RedboneSmith:
80% of your interactions are with Igbos, leaving only 20% for the other 200+ ethnic groups.

You don't see any problem with this sample distribution, as regards making a comparative analysis of Igbo behavior vis-a-vis other groups?

Exactly. If 80% of the people you hang around with are Igbos, why should it surprise you that 80% of the people who mess with you are Igbos?

4 Likes

Re: Why Are The Igbo People Always Very Cunning? by Ideadoctor(m): 8:07am On Dec 08, 2020
People I know that are cunning are Yoruba and Fulani, you never what is going on their mind

2 Likes

Re: Why Are The Igbo People Always Very Cunning? by tungamaje: 9:22am On Dec 11, 2020
What I know for sure is that an average Igboman won't allow himself to be cheated.Some people say we are cunning because we didn't give them the chance

4 Likes

Re: Why Are The Igbo People Always Very Cunning? by Paretomaster1(m): 1:16pm On Dec 12, 2020
You are right Man, but hope you r wearing iron helmets, and amour, because they are coming for you...

2 Likes

Re: Why Are The Igbo People Always Very Cunning? by TerrorSquad147: 7:59am On Dec 16, 2020
Emyogalanya:
why not channel your declings towards other tribes ? And leave igbos alone. What do you still want to find out ? The truth is you tried to cheat an igbo man and he did not give you that chance and now you bring it here as complaint keep crying
don't mind the loathsome oaf

1 Like

Re: Why Are The Igbo People Always Very Cunning? by saladinnoir: 8:34pm On Dec 16, 2020
AwesomeE:

Why is this so?

I think it has to do with orientation, being a very business and money minded people they are induced into trade and monetary interaction at an early age.

This does not by itself make them cunning but personal experience with wiser, more crafty people, can lead to one adopting such methods due to the results they see it produce (business is about making money, how it is made is rarely emphasised)

Add to the general immorality and money hunting nature of the average nigerian (although it differs from place to place) and you get what you get.
Re: Why Are The Igbo People Always Very Cunning? by VEXT: 10:57pm On Dec 17, 2020
Lol... Kind of true....
Re: Why Are The Igbo People Always Very Cunning? by marsman: 11:05am On Dec 19, 2020
Na genetics
Re: Why Are The Igbo People Always Very Cunning? by joshuaudom(m): 10:47pm On Dec 19, 2020
pocohantas:
I have had a lot of my colleagues tell me this. They go further to give me that backhanded compliment- “you don’t act like your sisters (people)”. I always remind them I am Igbo, while clarifying or countering stereotypes.

I like to think I am detribalized, but somehow I can’t relate to this opinion of yours. However, the average Igbo person is indeed very competitive, in the process they might do things or make decisions that might come off as cunning.

Well said

1 Like

Re: Why Are The Igbo People Always Very Cunning? by soonest(f): 5:44pm On Dec 21, 2020
Competitive yes but cunning is what we use in knowing yorubas

4 Likes

Re: Why Are The Igbo People Always Very Cunning? by OfficialAPCNig: 9:38pm On Dec 21, 2020
MightySparrow:

The problem of Igbos in Nigeria is purely behavioural. To get presidency will be a bit difficult by the unwritten constitution of Nigeria. To let go I don't subscribe, personally, stay with the the rest of us to learn how to live with honesty with human beings in your zoogeria.

Yorubas are just so foolish. I have never seen people so foolish

2 Likes

Re: Why Are The Igbo People Always Very Cunning? by MightySparrow: 10:40pm On Dec 21, 2020
OfficialAPCNig:

Yorubas are just so foolish. I have never seen people so foolish
Foolish, yet they don't agitate for relevance.Igbos are so wise, they trail behind Hausa / Fulani and Yorubas.Igbos create a hell themselves out of heaven. The rest of us make Igbos what they are and will be How many Igbos Make their ill-gotten fortunes in their unfriendly region? Greed, selfishness unreliability, sharp practices in market, offices, churches, mosques, government. An average Igbo man would want to outwit the Devil in his own game. Aren't you ashamed you are from such a race? Good Igbos I don't intend to offend you, I have met quite some. But these posters provoked my typing pad.
Re: Why Are The Igbo People Always Very Cunning? by OfficialAPCNig: 11:49pm On Dec 21, 2020
MightySparrow:

Foolish, yet they don't agitate for relevance.Igbos are so wise, they trail behind Hausa / Fulani and Yorubas.Igbos create a hell themselves out of heaven. The rest of us make Igbos what they are and will be How many Igbos Make their ill-gotten fortunes in their unfriendly region? Greed, selfishness unreliability, sharp practices in market, offices, churches, mosques, government. An average Igbo man would want to outwit the Devil in his own game. Aren't you ashamed you are from such a race? Good Igbos I don't intend to offend you, I have met quite some. But these posters provoked my typing pad.
No wonder they are buying up your ancestral lands. I am sure your father sold his land to an Igboman to train you in school.

In other news, apart from your Oluwole Bureau of stats tell me just one aspect of life your wasteland is comfortably leading Ndi Igbo despite not fighting any major war? Just one?

Good news for your sifia pain: my good friend is about buying a new property from your sophisticated brothers tomorrow. Can you imagine someone selling his property for a ridiculously low price because of Christmas owambe. When his eyes clear now in January, he will start wailing like you on Nairaland that Igbos are cunning.

My good friend even taught me how to buy properties at low prices from yorubas. The dude has 15 pieces of land in Lagos. With this strategy I am sure of adding to my 2 plots next year and you will still wail on Nairaland.

Igbo Amaka

7 Likes

Re: Why Are The Igbo People Always Very Cunning? by joshuaudom(m): 12:11am On Dec 22, 2020
No idea
Re: Why Are The Igbo People Always Very Cunning? by MightySparrow: 8:01am On Dec 22, 2020
OfficialAPCNig:

No wonder they are buying up your ancestral lands. I am sure your father sold his land to an Igboman to train you in school.

In other news, apart from your Oluwole Bureau of stats tell me just one aspect of life your wasteland is comfortably leading Ndi Igbo despite not fighting any major war? Just one?

Good news for your sifia pain: my good friend is about buying a new property from your sophisticated brothers tomorrow. Can you imagine someone selling his property for a ridiculously low price because of Christmas owambe. When his eyes clear now in January, he will start wailing like you on Nairaland that Igbos are cunning.

My good friend even taught me how to buy properties at low prices from yorubas. The dude has 15 pieces of land in Lagos. With this strategy I am sure of adding to my 2 plots next year and you will still wail on Nairaland.

Igbo Amaka
I don't know major wars that your forebears fought . Yoruba fought series of wars within the old oyo empire and expanded their domain from boundary of Ghana to Nupe land. The influence is both historic and still in force today. Read the pages of history, you will find valiant warriors of Yoruba stock. Even your warlords submitted to superior battle ingenuity of likes of Obasanjo and Black Scorpion ( Their children are still in the army in case...)
The stupidity in Igbos buying and developing other people's lands may not come in your lifetime. It will surely come. Illiterate like you who does not know anything more than Aba and Alaba would not know what led to the Jewish holocaust. Continue bragging about your stupidity. Time will tell. After, the civil War, certain properties of Igbos were not released here in the north. Yoruba released theirs. Pray you get your Biafra you are clamouring for, you will see the stupidity in your investments. Though, the wise among you will not allow such Biafra to happen. Only myopic persons like you will. The observation of the OP is what you should work on to win the respect of others. It doesn't take an average Hausa fundamentalists to burn down any edifice you brag about with no consequences.Mr Man , wake up and stop living in fool's paradise.
Re: Why Are The Igbo People Always Very Cunning? by gwafaeziokwu: 2:19pm On Dec 28, 2020
MightySparrow:
I don't know major wars that your forebears fought . Yoruba fought series of wars within the old oyo empire and expanded their domain from boundary of Ghana to Nupe land. The influence is both historic and still in force today. Read the pages of history, you will find valiant warriors of Yoruba stock. Even your warlords submitted to superior battle ingenuity of likes of Obasanjo and Black Scorpion ( Their children are still in the army in case...)
The stupidity in Igbos buying and developing other people's lands may not come in your lifetime. It will surely come. Illiterate like you who does not know anything more than Aba and Alaba would not know what led to the Jewish holocaust. Continue bragging about your stupidity. Time will tell. After, the civil War, certain properties of Igbos were not released here in the north. Yoruba released theirs. Pray you get your Biafra you are clamouring for, you will see the stupidity in your investments. Though, the wise among you will not allow such Biafra to happen. Only myopic persons like you will. The observation of the OP is what you should work on to win the respect of others. It doesn't take an average Hausa fundamentalists to burn down any edifice you brag about with no consequences.Mr Man , wake up and stop living in fool's paradise.

grin grin grin

This is my first time of seeing e-tears on Nairaland. OfficialAPCNig, come and make heaven let me see.

Chai ! You touched a raw nerve. grin

2 Likes

(1) (2) (Reply)

Horoscope:Need Help With Your Zodiac? / Ibadan Omo Ajorosun: Ohun To Ye Ke E Mo Nipa Ilu Ibadan / Which Tribe Has The Strongest/funniest Names

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 85
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.