Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,134 members, 7,829,048 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 06:10 PM

Recycled SIM Cards Flood Streets, Markets - Phones (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Recycled SIM Cards Flood Streets, Markets (27659 Views)

Why SIM Cards Linked With NIN Are Being Barred - NCC / Unlinking NIN From Recycled Phone Number / FG To Disconnect SIM Cards Not Synchronised With National ID Number (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Recycled SIM Cards Flood Streets, Markets by valentineuwakwe(m): 7:53am On Dec 07, 2020
they should hold the telecoms companies responsible. ....but you will be surprise at the excuses both NCC and the mobile companies will give..

well, this country n.a. wa ooo!
Re: Recycled SIM Cards Flood Streets, Markets by Emeka71(m): 7:54am On Dec 07, 2020
Saao:
Don't know where the get the info from but your newly purchased sim can't function without proper registration. Bought from Cms in Lagos few months back and that was what happened.
Those should be SIM card they have blocked previously.
Re: Recycled SIM Cards Flood Streets, Markets by Starzo: 7:55am On Dec 07, 2020
EdoFirstBorn:

Then you don't know anything

Here in southsouth Yoruba boys sell sims with fake registration for 300 naira

That's one of the many criminal activities they leave southwest and come here to commit daily
stop pinning evil on one particular tribe. Nobody holy
Re: Recycled SIM Cards Flood Streets, Markets by Emeka71(m): 7:56am On Dec 07, 2020
valentineuwakwe:
they should hold the telecoms companies responsible. ....but you will be surprise at the excuses both NCC and the mobile companies will give..

well, this country n.a. wa ooo!
Telecommunications company usually recycled line that they have blocked previously.
Re: Recycled SIM Cards Flood Streets, Markets by Akanimoh113(m): 7:56am On Dec 07, 2020
Doradorwa:
Same thing is happening to me right now... Whenever people call my 4 months old MTN number with Truecaller it will bring Okafor Nmesomar.... People are calling me... speaking Igbo some even Hausa... I'm planning on breaking the SIM cos I don't have money for lawyer if kasala happen.

Exactly the same with me
When ever someone calls my line with a Truecaller app a Female name tends to appear
But I claim the SIM is a New one.
Re: Recycled SIM Cards Flood Streets, Markets by NuraSambo: 8:05am On Dec 07, 2020
Doradorwa:
Same thing is happening to me right now... Whenever people call my 4 months old MTN number with Truecaller it will bring Okafor Nmesomar.... People are calling me... speaking Igbo some even Hausa... I'm planning on breaking the SIM cos I don't have money for lawyer if kasala happen.
Lol. Nmesoma Okafor how are you?
Re: Recycled SIM Cards Flood Streets, Markets by mannasseh(m): 8:11am On Dec 07, 2020
most times those street vendors pre register the Sim and when you go to buy fron them, they pretend to be carrying out a real registration

1 Like

Re: Recycled SIM Cards Flood Streets, Markets by Nobody: 8:14am On Dec 07, 2020
Nuel4:
after you "register" you then discover the line belongs to someone else. I received calls from one rude Yoruba aunty that night and she was convinced the number belongs to her nephew. This is a line I bought "new" less than 2 weeks ago. I decided to check the number on WhatsApp and discovered the number was registered and active on WhatsApp and the WhatsApp about was updated around June. Number I bought in November. Can you imagine?
Imagine if the original owner of the sim was kidnapped or killed or maybe the owner of the sim is a fraudster and EFCC are tracking the number? These people are so irresponsible and you can't even call their airtel customer care anymore
I just tried calling them to no avail... Nah wa o
Re: Recycled SIM Cards Flood Streets, Markets by Jergobright1025: 8:21am On Dec 07, 2020
Doradorwa:

Very true... I have stop using that SIM self. Aboki way I no know from Adam go just dey worry me
Re: Recycled SIM Cards Flood Streets, Markets by Akanimoh113(m): 8:26am On Dec 07, 2020
Nuel4:
after you "register" you then discover the line belongs to someone else. I received calls from one rude Yoruba aunty that night and she was convinced the number belongs to her nephew. This is a line I bought "new" less than 2 weeks ago. I decided to check the number on WhatsApp and discovered the number was registered and active on WhatsApp and the WhatsApp about was updated around June. Number I bought in November. Can you imagine?
Imagine if the original owner of the sim was kidnapped or killed or maybe the owner of the sim is a fraudster and EFCC are tracking the number? These people are so irresponsible and you can't even call their airtel customer care anymore

I even called the customer care for my Glo line the all of a sudden said they don't dispose the name of their callers ID
I said that the number is registered but not on my name and that I bought the SIM that day.

It's useless
I think TrueCaller is best in identifying the real owner of a particular SIM
Re: Recycled SIM Cards Flood Streets, Markets by Didi2d(m): 8:56am On Dec 07, 2020
faceURfront:
I hope if I buy one, DSS will not come and say I bought president Buhari's former SIM o? undecided

You know most of the unknown numbers that call you when you buy recycled SIMs are northerners. I wonder why they have such a high turnaround of recycled numbers in the north grin

I think MTN recycled someone's Sim and you bought it, same way glo recycled my sim of over 17 years just because I was using it as my whatshapp line.
Till date it's still my whatshapp number, but anytime I try to use for call's it won't connect, but someone else is using that same number. Very funny and serious

2 Likes

Re: Recycled SIM Cards Flood Streets, Markets by MiQui: 8:59am On Dec 07, 2020
The Business Hub is an enterprenual and business team of " 10 CONTENT WRITERS " working onboard a project to establish a chain of business ventures through a working from home-styled participation.

We seek more individuals to take up positions on our team and like you to consider participation.

We are looking for interested and willing persons to be a part of this team.

Your roles will be to write articles & produce a variety of them

You'll be trained to meet up with the necessary roles that's required of you.

You'll learn new insights, skills & ideas that will prove inestimable to you even after this project.

Remuneration is 1 Million Naira payable at the end of the engagement.

If you like to participate, send a message to the WhatsApp contact on the signature

Thanks for reading

Re: Recycled SIM Cards Flood Streets, Markets by Elxandre(m): 9:04am On Dec 07, 2020
sakanbi:
No sim can work without proper registration; I don't expect anyone to buy an already working sim
Scammer stop advertising fake laptops.
Re: Recycled SIM Cards Flood Streets, Markets by freeborn02: 9:04am On Dec 07, 2020
post=96809439:

This is one thing that can never happen in a sane society.
Becareful out there peeps.

Can you just imagine this?
Dis country matter no be for hia o

The dullard you were promoting promised to make it better. But 6 years down the line, even you are complaining about the country. That should tell you that you are a hypocrite living in self denial.
Re: Recycled SIM Cards Flood Streets, Markets by Raychee(f): 9:06am On Dec 07, 2020
Even network providers sells recycled numbers and the new user gets calls, sms etc from the old user's contacts. They should find a way to stop that nonsense. It causes a lot of inconveniences.

2 Likes

Re: Recycled SIM Cards Flood Streets, Markets by Nobody: 9:10am On Dec 07, 2020
Recycled SIM cards are not new. Even developed countries sell recycled SIMs too. The thing is that the new owner of the SIM should register it properly to avoid accusations that the SIM was stolen.

In some telcoms companies in Nigeria, after 6 months of complete inactivity on your SIM, it is given to another person. That is why you have to recharge your line with airtime at least once in 6 months so that your number is not given to another person.

I have a friend who travelled abroad. This guy abandoned his Nigerian SIM. He completely removed it from a phone. I advise him that he should keep his number because all the people that know him, know him with that number. Oga said he doesn't want everyone to be able to reach him. He said if he wants to reach you, he will reach you himself. I adviced him to put the SIM back inside a phone and just recharge it with 100 naira once in 6 month . Oga said he is not interested. He recently called me to tell me that they have given the number to somebody else and that I should delete the number from my phone. I wasn't surprised. I knew it will eventually happen. It was just a matter of when.

2 Likes

Re: Recycled SIM Cards Flood Streets, Markets by adaugo59216: 9:41am On Dec 07, 2020
:I need BuBu's sim card.
Mtn pls help me achieve this great feat.
Ok sir...we re working on that.......
Re: Recycled SIM Cards Flood Streets, Markets by Ayodelejohn2018(m): 9:44am On Dec 07, 2020
EdoFirstBorn:

Then you don't know anything

Here in southsouth Yoruba boys sell sims with fake registration for 300 naira

That's one of the many criminal activities they leave southwest and come here to commit daily
So are u trying to say ur south south boys are not doing same.
Forget the fact that yoruba boys are doing it, the fact that the business is striving in ur region shows u r part of the decadence.
Re: Recycled SIM Cards Flood Streets, Markets by Bossman(m): 9:47am On Dec 07, 2020
Yes, SIM cards are recycled everywhere due to inactivity. However, in Nigeria that period of inactivity is just 3 months. It's at least 6 months in most other countries. Anyway, as you mentioned, I recharge/record an activity on my SIM card every 3 months to keep it going in between visits to Naija. I have been able to maintain my line for 9 years by doing that.

AnonymousRebec:

In some telcoms companies in Nigeria, after 6 months of complete inactivity on your SIM, it is given to another person. That is why you have to recharge your line with airtime at least once in 6 months so that your number is not given to another person.

1 Like

Re: Recycled SIM Cards Flood Streets, Markets by kponkedenge(m): 9:49am On Dec 07, 2020
Doradorwa:

This is a minor issue... You can edit the truecaller name to your own name if you have the truecaller App on your phone.
Re: Recycled SIM Cards Flood Streets, Markets by OwoukoUrua(m): 10:28am On Dec 07, 2020
Doradorwa:

by the time the "kasala" burst, you will still be planning.
Re: Recycled SIM Cards Flood Streets, Markets by OwoukoUrua(m): 10:36am On Dec 07, 2020
that was how a lodgemate of mine got a recycled SIM . small time, alert of of 80k enter . . . long story short, we been chop better melon and bitter leaf soup that day grin
Re: Recycled SIM Cards Flood Streets, Markets by mosedgreat(m): 10:53am On Dec 07, 2020
Nuel4:
.........These people are so irresponsible and you can't even call their airtel customer care anymore

To talk to Airtel Customer care directly do the following:

Dial 111
Press 4 for English
Press 2
Press 4
Press 2
Press 9
Airtel customer care will pick your call immediately.

1 Like

Re: Recycled SIM Cards Flood Streets, Markets by mosedgreat(m): 11:01am On Dec 07, 2020
Doradorwa:
I just tried calling them to no avail... Nah wa o

Dial 111
Press 4 for English
Press 2
Press 4
Press 2
Press 9

They won't have a choice but to pick your call immediately.
Re: Recycled SIM Cards Flood Streets, Markets by Nobody: 11:32am On Dec 07, 2020
mosedgreat:

Dial 111
Press 4 for English
Press 2
Press 4
Press 2
Press 9

They won't have a choice but to pick your call immediately.
thanks
Re: Recycled SIM Cards Flood Streets, Markets by Nobody: 1:16pm On Dec 07, 2020
Doradorwa:

No cause for alarm! That was the name of the former owner of the SIM Card. As long as you registered it properly with MTN, you are safe.

As for truecaller, simply visit the truecaller website with a google account which you will create tied to the number, type the number and when it brings out the name, it will ask if it is correct, click "No" and edit it to your name or simply flag it from being named so that it shows as a mere number when it is typed on truecaller.
Re: Recycled SIM Cards Flood Streets, Markets by Nobody: 1:18pm On Dec 07, 2020
OwoukoUrua:
that was how a lodgemate of mine got a recycled SIM . small time, alert of of 80k enter . . . long story short, we been chop better melon and bitter leaf soup that day grin

Lies! You will have to get access to the person's PIN, BVN and account details before having access to the money.

1 Like

Re: Recycled SIM Cards Flood Streets, Markets by Nobody: 1:49pm On Dec 07, 2020
prince3009:

No cause for alarm! That was the name of the former owner of the SIM Card. As long as you registered it properly with MTN, you are safe.

As for truecaller, simply visit the truecaller website with a google account which you will create tied to the number, type the number and when it brings out the name, it will ask if it is correct, click "No" and edit it to your name or simply flag it from being named so that it shows as a mere number when it is typed on truecaller.
thanks so much but for the calls what should I do about it... Should I call the network customer service and report it to them?.
Re: Recycled SIM Cards Flood Streets, Markets by Nobody: 2:51pm On Dec 07, 2020
Doradorwa:
thanks so much but for the calls what should I do about it... Should I call the network customer service and report it to them?.

If your phone has blocking options, block the numbers
Re: Recycled SIM Cards Flood Streets, Markets by Ejike3: 3:54pm On Dec 07, 2020
Service providers are to be blame. They made it very difficult for most people to get back their line when lost or misplaced. What is the aim of sim registration when you cannot get back your line unless you resurrect your old sim pack? Should we be depositing plastic sim pack in the banks for MTN and co?

Why not check the subscribers registered info and March it with his/her picture? One customer service will ask you to get court affidavit of 2k to retrieve #200 SIM.

They discourage customers and push them to abandoned their sim and buy another one, just to prove that their customer base is increasing.
Re: Recycled SIM Cards Flood Streets, Markets by OwoukoUrua(m): 4:09pm On Dec 07, 2020
prince3009:

Lies! You will have to get access to the person's PIN, BVN and account details before having access to the money.

but you can recharge the line directly from the account and then sell the airtime

1 Like

Re: Recycled SIM Cards Flood Streets, Markets by OwoukoUrua(m): 4:12pm On Dec 07, 2020
prince3009:

and mind you, all that is needed to get complete access to the account is the person's ATM PIN/mobile banking PIN depending on the bank

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Top 3 Must Have Game For Your Andriod / How To Chat With Airtel Customer Care Live Online For Support & Problem Solving / Apple Loses Copyright Claims Against ‘virtual Iphone’ Maker

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.