Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,899 members, 7,814,039 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 02:59 AM

Lord Of The Sabbath-what Did Jesus Mean Here? - Religion (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Lord Of The Sabbath-what Did Jesus Mean Here? (13556 Views)

What Did Jesus Mean When He Said, "Today You Will Be With Me In Paradise"? / The Fourth Commandment: The Sabbath. / What Did Jesus Mean By "The Poor Will Always Be Among You"? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Lord Of The Sabbath-what Did Jesus Mean Here? by MuttleyLaff: 9:33am On Dec 14, 2020
TheWalkingMind:
lol...read what you cited again. And tell anyone you make sense.
[img]https://media./images/f015f675e989d0371bee7a00314000bf/tenor.gif[/img]
Why aren't I surprised?

1 Like

Re: Lord Of The Sabbath-what Did Jesus Mean Here? by UsmanBabaIdris: 9:35am On Dec 14, 2020
MaxInDHouse:
I was a Muslim, Islam is just like traditional religions practiced in different parts of the earth, if we are to preach and teach without the use of force or weapons Islam wouldn't have survived the 6th century after the death of Muhammad.
Though i thought Christianity is just going to the church, singing, clapping, dancing and praying in Jesus name but when i studied true Christianity from the real Christians "JEHOVAH'S WITNESSES" i discovered that Jesus truthfully qualifies to be what the Bible called him "Wonderful Counselor and Prince of Peace" Isaiah 9:6
Just imagine a world without weapons and racism!
No religion came a bit close to Jehovah's Witnesses in eradicating racism, politics and weapons in their midst! Micah 4:1-3
Forget about Islam, even Islamic nations still carry weapons to kill their fellow Muslim brothers due to racism and politics. That supposed to be a minor issue for Allah to resolve in the midst of those who usually bow down to it shoulder to shoulder before the black stone in Mecca.
For Allah to have failed to make peace reign even in the midst of it's own adherents is clear indication that Allah is no God but a fabrication of a 6th century Arabian called Muhammad! undecided

Jesus is a Prince of peace or God of war?

1. True mission of Jesus Christ
"Think NOT that I am come to send PEACE on earth; I came NOT to send PEACE, but a SWORD." (Matthew 10:34)

"I am come to send FIRE on the earth; and what will I, if it be already kindled? (Luke 12:49)

Suppose ye that I am come to give PEACE on earth? I tell you, NAY; but rather DIVISION." (Luke 12:51)

Secondly, you said Allah has fail to maintain peace among its adherents.
Where was Jehovah during the First World war and Second World war?
Where was Jehovah during the Holocaust?
Where was Jehovah during the Cold war?

Please go and reason!
Re: Lord Of The Sabbath-what Did Jesus Mean Here? by MaxInDHouse(m): 9:55am On Dec 14, 2020
May God bless you for this reply, i congratulate you in advance for the opportunity you're about to get today!

UsmanBabaIdris:

Jesus is a Prince of peace or God of war?

1. True mission of Jesus Christ
"Think NOT that I am come to send PEACE on earth; I came NOT to send PEACE, but a SWORD." (Matthew 10:34)

"I am come to send FIRE on the earth; and what will I, if it be already kindled? (Luke 12:49)

Suppose ye that I am come to give PEACE on earth? I tell you, NAY; but rather DIVISION." (Luke 12:51)
Whoever brings God's message must surely cause a division because while some will accept the message and turn around majority will not only ignore but become furious against those yielding to God's message. So there must be a division. The "SWORD" will follow when the furious ones decides to force those yielding to God's message back to their former state, that's what Jesus meant, and for his message to bring such a result people will blame him for causing the trouble instead of thinking straight that each person have the right to choose what they'll do with their life, they will say Jesus is the reason why people are killing people.
But let's reason together just as you wanted, if Jesus truly brought a sword for people to kill people, did he kill anyone or consented to the use of swords? Matthew 26:52 compared to Luke 9:51-56

Secondly, you said Allah has fail to maintain peace among its adherents.
Where was Jehovah during the First World war and Second World war?
Where was Jehovah during the Holocaust?
Where was Jehovah during the Cold war?
Please go and reason!

JEHOVAH has settled all the differences in the midst of his own worshipers through the teaching of his son who commanded us never to lead by the use of weapons! Isaiah 2:2-4
So the Holocaust, the First and Second world wars, the cold war and any other wars you can think of belongs to unbelievers not Christians.

True followers of Christ will never raise weapons to resolve issues {Matthew 26:52} that's why i presented the true Christians to you today Jehovah's Witnesses!
Re: Lord Of The Sabbath-what Did Jesus Mean Here? by Acehart: 10:21am On Dec 14, 2020
UsmanBabaIdris:

Ask the demons themselves!

You sounded like you knew everything in the scriptures. If you are telling me to ask the demons, then you don’t know anything. Arrogance is a sign that one is not saved. I pray you are saved so that your words will be seasoned with salt.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Lord Of The Sabbath-what Did Jesus Mean Here? by ottega(m): 11:27am On Dec 14, 2020
CalliDora1:
What he meant there was, He is above the Sabbath that the men were trying to honor more than Him. Which was why he said, the Sabbath was made for man, not man for the Sabbath. In other words, man has control over the Sabbath hence can choose to treat it however he wants but the Sabbath has no control over man and shouldn't determine man's behavior or activities.
no my dear, you are wrong, read and study the contextual meaning of the above verses
Re: Lord Of The Sabbath-what Did Jesus Mean Here? by Bodydiialect57: 2:13pm On Dec 14, 2020
Ernhen! Let him carefully read those references.

Thanks MuttleyLaff. How are you doing?
MuttleyLaff:

"When you enter your neighbor's grainfield, you may pluck the heads of grain with your hand,
but you must not put a sickle to your neighbor's grain.
"
- Deuteronomy 23:25

"When you reap the harvest of your land,
do not reap all the way to the edges of your field or gather the gleanings of your harvest.
Leave them for the poor and the foreign resident.
I am the LORD your God.'"
"
- Leviticus 23:22

"8Boaz went over and said to Ruth, “Listen, my daughter. Stay right here with us when you gather grain; don’t go to any other fields. Stay right behind the young women working in my field.
9See which part of the field they are harvesting, and then follow them. I have warned the young men not to treat you roughly. And when you are thirsty, help yourself to the water they have drawn from the well.”
10Ruth fell at his feet and thanked him warmly. “What have I done to deserve such kindness?” she asked. “I am only a foreigner.”
15When Ruth went back to work again, Boaz ordered his young men, “Let her gather grain right among the sheaves without stopping her.
16And pull out some heads of barley from the bundles and drop them on purpose for her. Let her pick them up, and don’t give her a hard time!”
"
- Ruth 2:8-10, 15-16

"At about that time Jesus was walking through some grainfields on the Sabbath.
His disciples were hungry, so they began breaking off some heads of grain and eating them.

- Matthew 12:1

Deuteronomy 23:25, Leviticus 23:22, Ruth 2:8-10, 15-16 and Matthew 12:1 above fyi @UsmanBabaIdris
Re: Lord Of The Sabbath-what Did Jesus Mean Here? by MuttleyLaff: 9:28pm On Dec 14, 2020
Bodydiialect57:
Ernhen! Let him carefully read those references.
Thanks MuttleyLaff. How are you doing?
[img]https://s5/images/ezgif-2-bb81ab7ea10d.gif[/img]
I am fine Ma'am.
Thank you very much for asking.

I saw you do the Arriba, Arriba! Andale, Andale!! Speedy Gonzales dash out of that anal thread

1 Like

Re: Lord Of The Sabbath-what Did Jesus Mean Here? by Bodydiialect57: 9:49pm On Dec 14, 2020
CYM please.
MuttleyLaff:
[img]https://s5/images/ezgif-2-bb81ab7ea10d.gif[/img]
I am fine Ma'am.
Thank you very much for asking.

I saw you do the Arriba, Arriba! Andale, Andale!! Speedy Gonzales dash out of that anal thread
Re: Lord Of The Sabbath-what Did Jesus Mean Here? by MuttleyLaff: 8:56am On Dec 16, 2020
Bodydiialect57:
CYM please.

1 Like

Re: Lord Of The Sabbath-what Did Jesus Mean Here? by Bodydiialect57: 5:08pm On Dec 16, 2020
Re: Lord Of The Sabbath-what Did Jesus Mean Here? by Kobojunkie: 2:50am On Feb 04, 2023
UsmanBabaIdris:
■ Jesus is a Prince of peace or God of war?
■ True mission of Jesus Christ "Think NOT that I am come to send PEACE on earth; I came NOT to send PEACE, but a SWORD." (Matthew 10:34) "I am come to send FIRE on the earth; and what will I, if it be already kindled? (Luke 12:49) Suppose ye that I am come to give PEACE on earth? I tell you, NAY; but rather DIVISION." (Luke 12:51)
■ Secondly, you said Allah has fail to maintain peace among its adherents. Where was Jehovah during the First World war and Second World war? Where was Jehovah during the Holocaust? Where was Jehovah during the Cold war?
Please go and reason!
1. According to Scripture, He is the Prince of Peace — peace in that He gives peace to all those who belong to Him in the Kingdom of God. undecided

2. Indeed! He did not say He came to bring peace to the earth or such nonsense. He instead came to bring Peace —everlasting — to those who belong to Him — those whose lives are lived in continuous obedience to the teachings and commandments of God.
13 Then a huge army of angels from heaven joined the first angel, and they were all praising God, saying,
14 “Praise God in heaven, and on earth let there be peace to the people who please him. - Luke 2 vs 13 - 14

3. I don't know about Allah. But as far as YHWH is concerned, those who are His adherents are those who live their lives in continuous submission to and obedience to His teachings and commandments, God's Law — not to be confused at all with those who follow after the religion of men. As for where He was during the first and second world Wars, well, you don't need to look far but in scripture to know that God does not spare sinners simply because they are of the blood of Israel.
1. “Everything that I have mentioned will happen to you—both the blessings and the curses. And you will remember these words when the Lord your God sends you away to other nations.
2 Then you and your descendants will turn back to the Lord your God. You will follow him with all your heart and completely obey all his commands that I have given you today.
3 Then the Lord your God will be kind to you. The Lord your God will make you free again! He will bring you back from the nations where he sent you.
4 Even if you were sent to the farthest parts of the earth, the Lord your God will gather you from there and bring you back.
5 The Lord your God will bring you into the land your ancestors had, and the land will become yours. He will do good to you, and you will have more than your ancestors had. You will have more people in your nation than they ever had.
6 The Lord your God will make you and your descendants want to obey him.[a] Then you will love the Lord your God with all your heart. And you will live! - Deuteronomy 30 vs 1 - 6
So, you may want to get a refresher as regards how YHWH works as far as Isreal is concerned. undecided
Re: Lord Of The Sabbath-what Did Jesus Mean Here? by Kobojunkie: 2:59am On Feb 04, 2023
UsmanBabaIdris:
Sorry for your state brother! God actually exist, but you have been made to perceive it from a wrong direction. Christianity has turned many peoples to Atheism and Secularism, because its doctrines and the bible has failed ordinary reasons and humanity! Remember that the west only start advancing when it forcefully separate itself from the church.

My only advice to you is to be bold and studied other religions as well. Go and search for God in other religions until you find satisfaction. I know many people of blind faith will try to pull you back, but don't be discouraged. I pray may God, in his infinite mercy, guide you to the right path!
What makes you think the answer is found by jumping from one religion to another, after all, religion is a man-made system — doctrines put forth by men with which to control and subdue the lives and minds of their fellow men. undecided
Re: Lord Of The Sabbath-what Did Jesus Mean Here? by grandstar(m): 10:20am On Mar 23, 2023
Preciousgirl:

Mark 2:23-24,27-28

[23]Now it happened that He went through the grainfields on the Sabbath; and as they went His disciples began to pluck the heads of grain.

[24]And the Pharisees said to Him, “Look, why do they do what is not lawful on the Sabbath?”

[27]And He said to them, “The Sabbath was made for man, and not man for the Sabbath.

[28]Therefore the Son of Man is also Lord of the Sabbath.”

What did Jesus mean by this? Thank you

I must first sincerely apologize for only replying this question so late. Many 'worthless' things occupied my time. Spiritual issues should be foremost in our lives.

Now to your question. What does 'Lord of the Sabbath' mean?

First and foremost, there were many types Sabbaths and not just the Sunday rest one.

There were the 7 year Sabbaths for instance. There was also the 50 year Jubilee Sabbath. All these Sabbaths were a shadow of what was to come when Jesus would be the lord of the Sabbath.

The Sabbath was a time to rest. It was also a time to release all slaves from their bondage. They were to be set free.

Please visit the link below to get a comprehensive answer to your question, answers backed by scriptures. I would advise you start from the first paragraph and progress gradually to the last paragraph. Check up all cited scriptures to confirm what is being said (Read Acts 17:11).

If you have any questions, please let me know.

Thank you

https://www.jw.org/en/library/books/Insight-on-the-Scriptures/Sabbath-Day/
Re: Lord Of The Sabbath-what Did Jesus Mean Here? by Kobojunkie: 1:01pm On Mar 23, 2023
grandstar:
■ I must first sincerely apologize for only replying this question so late. Many 'worthless' things occupied my time. Spiritual issues should be foremost in our lives. Now to your question. What does 'Lord of the Sabbath' mean? First and foremost, there were many types Sabbaths and not just the Sunday rest one. There were the 7 year Sabbaths for instance. There was also the 50 year Jubilee Sabbath. All these Sabbaths were a shadow of what was to come when Jesus would be the lord of the Sabbath.
■ The Sabbath was a time to rest. It was also a time to release all slaves from their bondage. They were to be set free.
1. Shadows of what was to come? That silly soundbite never ceases to amaze. How can the Sabbath that is the Jubilee be a shadow of what is to come when after the resurrection Jesus Christ is expected to continue ruling over an Isreal with the same Constitution-- the Law of Moses--- for ever? Una dey process these things wey una dey believe at all? undecided

2. You ended up not answering the question at all. undecided

According to Jesus Christ Himself, He is the Lord of the Sabbath as He came to give rest --- of the everlasting kind ----to all those who will choose Him from from heavy burdens they bear - Matthew 11 vs 28 - 30. Compared to the temporary rests of the Old Covenant--- Sabbath day rest, Jubilee, Day of Atonement, and other Holy days --- the rest that Jesus Christ gives to those who accept and obey Him is an everlasting kind of rest. undecided
Re: Lord Of The Sabbath-what Did Jesus Mean Here? by Acehart: 2:13pm On Apr 07, 2023
UsmanBabaIdris:

Your type give us the belief that an average christian knew nothing about God, and could not differentiate between God and Jesus. Simply put, THE GOD OF CHRISTIANITY IS NOT DEFINED!

If Jesus is the God Almighty (Jehovah) as you claim, Who was Jesus worshipping throughout his life on earth?;
Who was Jesus referring to God and Father, as found in many places of the Bible?;
Who was in control of the universe for the three days that Jesus is supposed to be dead in the tomb?

You are just in clear confusion! Even the Jehovah witness cult don't believe Jesus is the Jehovah!
Better read the bible with a clear eye and mind, and stop being a fool in this century, or you will just make Christianity an object of mockery!

Thank you, for taking your time to read. Regarding your comments, I'd like to structure your comment into four questions (instead of three questions and set of backtalk); and respond to each of them:

You are just in clear confusion! Even the Jehovah witness cult don't believe Jesus is the Jehovah!
Better read the bible with a clear eye and mind, and stop being a fool in this century, or you will just make Christianity an object of mockery!

Now Jehovah appeared to Abraham by the oaks of Mamre, while he was sitting at the tent door in the heat of the day. When he raised his eyes and looked, behold, three men were standing opposite him; and when he saw them, he ran from the tent door to meet them and bowed down to the ground, and said, “Jehovah, if now I have found favor in Your sight, please do not pass Your servant by. Please let a little water be brought and wash your feet, and make yourselves comfortable under the tree; and I will bring a piece of bread, so that you may refresh yourselves; after that you may go on, since you have visited your servant.” And they said, “So do as you have said.” He took curds and milk and the calf which he had prepared, and set it before them; and he was standing by them under the tree as they ate. (1-cool

They said to him, “Where is your wife Sarah?” And he said, “There, in the tent.” He said, “I will certainly return to you at this time next year; and behold, your wife Sarah will have a son.” So Sarah laughed to herself, saying, “After I have become old, am I to have pleasure, my lord being old also?” But the Jehovah said to Abraham, “Why did Sarah laugh, saying, ‘Shall I actually give birth to a child, when I am so old?’ Is anything too difficult for the Jehovah? At the appointed time I will return to you, at this time next year, and Sarah will have a son.” (9-15)

Then the men rose up from there, and looked down toward Sodom; and Abraham was walking with them to send them off. Jehovah said, “Shall I hide from Abraham what I am about to do, since Abraham will certainly become a great and mighty nation, and in him all the nations of the earth will be blessed? For I have chosen him. And Jehovah said, “The outcry of Sodom and Gomorrah is indeed great, and their sin is exceedingly grave. I will go down now and see whether they have done entirely as the outcry, which has come to Me indicates; and if not, I will know.” (16-21)

Then the men turned away from there and went toward Sodom, while Abraham was still standing before Jehovah. Abraham approached and said, “Will You indeed sweep away the righteous with the wicked? Suppose there are fifty righteous people within the city; will You indeed sweep it away and not spare the place for the sake of the fifty righteous who are in it? Far be it from You to do such a thing, to kill the righteous with the wicked, so that the righteous and the wicked are treated alike. Far be it from You! Shall not the Judge of all the earth deal justly?” So the Lord said, “If I find in Sodom fifty righteous within the city, then I will spare the entire place on their account. As soon as He had finished speaking to Abraham, Jehovah departed. (22-23)

- Genesis 18 (NASB)

There are not many chapters in the Book of Genesis that mentions "Jehovah" as many times as chapter 18. Please, do me the pleasure of answering these questions:

Verse 1-8:

1. When Jehovah appeared to Abraham, how come he saw three men?
2.Why did Abraham fall prostrate to all three of them?
3. Why did Abraham refer to them as Jehovah?
4. When Abraham offered them food and drink, why were they referred to as "They"?
5. Did Jehovah appear in human form, so that they could eat and drink earthly food and drink?

Verse 9 - 15:

1. Why are the three men, the "they", that asked Abraham after his wife, referred to as Jehovah?
2. Why are these three men referred to as "I"?

Verse 16 - 21:

1. Why is or are Jehovah going down to Sodom and Gomorrah Himself or themselves in physical form?

And there came two malachim to Sodom at erev; and Lot sat in the sha’ar Sodom; and Lot seeing them rose up to meet them; and he bowed himself with his face toward the ground; And he said, Hinei, adonai (my masters), turn in, now, into the bais avdechem, and tarry all night, and wash your feet, and ye shall rise up early, and go on your ways (Genesis 19:1 - 2, Orthodox Jewish Bible)

So the men grasped his hand and the hand of his wife and the hands of his two daughters, because the compassion of the Lord was upon him; and they brought him out and put him outside the city. When they had brought them outside, one said, “Escape for your life! Do not look behind you, and do not stay anywhere in the surrounding area; escape to the mountains, or you will be swept away.” But Lot said to them, “Oh no, my lords! Now behold, your servant has found favor in your sight, and you have magnified your compassion, which you have shown me by saving my life; but I cannot escape to the mountains, for the disaster will overtake me and I will die; now behold, this town is near enough to flee to, and it is small. Please, let me escape there (is it not small?) so that my life may be saved.” And he said to him, “Behold, I grant you this request also, not to overthrow the town of which you have spoken. Hurry, escape there, for I cannot do anything until you arrive there.” Therefore the town was named Zoar. The sun had risen over the earth when Lot came to Zoar. Then the Lord rained brimstone and fire on Sodom and Gomorrah from the Lord out of heaven (Genesis 19:16 - 24, NASB)

Please, Usman, answer these questions:

Verse 1-2:

1. When we search through all scripture, men do not worship heavenly angels; how then does Abraham and Lot worship these men - Abraham worshipping the three men who are referred to as Jehovah, LORD; and Lot worshipping two of them, who are referred to as Lord (Adonai)?

Verse 22:

2. Why are the two Lords described with the pronouns, "He" and "I" ?

Verse 24:

3. Please interpret this sentence: Then the Lord rained brimstone and fire on Sodom and Gomorrah from the Lord out of heaven (verse 24). As you do, which of the Lords that remained outside Sodom rained brimstone and fire from another Lord out of heaven?

4. Why do these two chapters refer to the three men as "Jehovah, LORD" and when they are less than this number they refer to them as "Lord, adonai", including the one out of heaven?
Re: Lord Of The Sabbath-what Did Jesus Mean Here? by Acehart: 3:27pm On Apr 07, 2023
UsmanBabaIdris:

Your type give us the belief that an average christian knew nothing about God, and could not differentiate between God and Jesus. Simply put, THE GOD OF CHRISTIANITY IS NOT DEFINED!

If Jesus is the God Almighty (Jehovah) as you claim, Who was Jesus worshipping throughout his life on earth?;
Who was Jesus referring to God and Father, as found in many places of the Bible?;
Who was in control of the universe for the three days that Jesus is supposed to be dead in the tomb?

If Jesus is the God Almighty (Jehovah) as you claim, Who was Jesus worshipping throughout his life on earth?

I hope that by the time you honestly reply my questions, my response to this question would be an appendage:

And the Lord God said unto the serpent, Because thou hast done this, thou art cursed above all cattle, and above every beast of the field; upon thy belly shalt thou go, and dust shalt thou eat all the days of thy life: and I will put enmity between thee and the woman, and between thy seed and her seed; it shall bruise thy head, and thou shalt bruise his heel. (Genesis 3: 14-15, NASB)

Why is this seed of the woman referred to as "it" in one breathe, and "him" in another breathe? If I will make a guess, it would mean he has two natures - An "it" nature, and a "human" nature. Regarding the "it" nature, the scriptures says, "He is the Son of the Most High" - born of the Holy Spirit - having the Blood of God. If this is so, it is His Godly nature that is referred to as "it"; the only nature that is capable of bruising the head of the serpent.

The scripture says, "Inasmuch then as the children have partaken of flesh and blood, He Himself likewise shared in the same, that through death He might destroy him who had the power of death, that is, the devil, and release those who through fear of death were all their lifetime subject to bondage." (Hebrews 2:14-15, NASB)

Regarding His human nature, He would be the seed of the woman.

"Behold, the virgin shall be with child, and bear a Son, and they shall call His name Immanuel," which is translated, "God with us." (Matthew 1:23)

That nature would be vulnerable, so that it would be bruised on the heel. It is this nature than makes him pray, because he will be a man. If He would be a man, He has to obey the rules of God towards all men. One of the ultimate to all men regarding their relationship to God is this:

"You shall have no other gods before Me. You shall not make for yourself an idol, or any likeness of what is in heaven above or on the earth beneath, or in the water under the earth. You shall not worship them nor serve them; for I, the Lord your God". (Exodus 20:3-5)

These commandments states that all men must worship God - They shall not have any gods beside the LORD. The gods listed in the the fourth and fifth verse includes: oneself, items and creatures of the earth, water, the dead and the heavens. Jesus Christ was subjected to this commandment, as it impresses all men to worship God, in which prayer is a fundamental part. Christ Himself said, "men ought always to pray". So that for a child of God, 'to pray' is a commandment (1 Thessalonians 5:17, Ephesians 6:18)

Prayer also is oxygen to the spiritual man; if the scriptures says He was given the spirit without measure, His propensity towards prayer was impulsive because of the Spirit in Him.

Men have to pray to something or someone; to pray to one's self is idolatry; to pray to a false drink is an abomination. Christ chose to pray to the God He came from.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Villagers Refused Us To Bury Our Brother Because We Converted To Christianity / Picture Of The American Missionary Who Was Released By Kidnappers / Jesus Has No Sword In His Mouth. Understanding Revelation 1:16 And 2:16

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.