Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,957 members, 7,828,378 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 08:57 AM

Any Hope In Nigeria Or Just Move To Canada? (Finally moved to UK) - Travel (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Any Hope In Nigeria Or Just Move To Canada? (Finally moved to UK) (5525 Views)

Finally Moved My Wife And Kids. / See What Happened When I Moved To My New Environment (pics) / $120,000 To Leave Nigeria Or 450,000 Naira Salary? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Any Hope In Nigeria Or Just Move To Canada? (Finally moved to UK) by Nicoswit(m): 10:25pm On Dec 10, 2020
confusedmind1:
Thank you all for the wonderful advise, I so much appreciate all.

I have now seen strong reasons to move.

thanks.

Thats good but make sure you backup ur strong reasons with strong plans...(note:when making ur plans on ur finances over there, remember TAX is real)

2 Likes

Re: Any Hope In Nigeria Or Just Move To Canada? (Finally moved to UK) by Aconomist: 10:29pm On Dec 10, 2020
Keep your savings in dollars or some other currency.
Re: Any Hope In Nigeria Or Just Move To Canada? (Finally moved to UK) by ULOPVQ: 10:42pm On Dec 10, 2020
Hannania:
Hello sir, i'm considering registering for the Stutern accelerator course in software development, which cost 540k. Its a 6 month full stack course for front and back end with react and Node.js. or that of Eduraka costing about 250k. When done, with just 6months of experience, what can be my feasible earning before i relocate abroad ?

A guide to a productive stack would be helpful. Thanks

As a Junior Dev. in Nigeria you should expect anything between 150K - 250K on average. From what I know of Stutern, they will guide you until you land an offer.

My Personal Advice: Try focusing on one stack first either Frontend or Backend, this would make you seem more presentable to a potential employer. Nobody would like to hire a Full Stack Dev. with no professional experience.

Good luck in your journey.

3 Likes

Re: Any Hope In Nigeria Or Just Move To Canada? (Finally moved to UK) by Aconomist: 10:52pm On Dec 10, 2020
confusedmind1:
Thank you all for the wonderful advise, I so much appreciate all.

I have now seen strong reasons to move.

thanks.

Moving to Canada would be a terrible mistake my friend, especially toronto. In Canada, your Nigerian degree is worthless. There are many PHDs from countries like India that are homeless in Toronto, what makes you think they will hire a Nigerian? The cost of living in Canada is also astronomical.

The U.S. would be a better option. Try to get a degree at an american school if you want a job. They are always hiring tech guys.
Re: Any Hope In Nigeria Or Just Move To Canada? (Finally moved to UK) by tensazangetsu20(m): 11:47pm On Dec 10, 2020
Aconomist:
Moving to Canada would be a terrible mistake my friend, especially toronto. In Canada, your Nigerian degree is worthless. There are many PHDs from countries like India that are homeless in Toronto, what makes you think they will hire a Nigerian? The cost of living in Canada is also astronomical.

The U.S. would be a better option. Try to get a degree at an american school if you want a job. They are always hiring tech guys.
He's a tech guy. He doesn't need a degree to get a job but it doesn't hurt to have one. Two ex andelans got jobs in Canada from Nigeria through the global talent program.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Any Hope In Nigeria Or Just Move To Canada? (Finally moved to UK) by Fidelismaria: 12:22am On Dec 11, 2020
confusedmind1:
Sorry mod I had to create this account to remain anonymous.

You've gotten enough advice, so let me digress. you say you're a programmer, are you self taught or bootcamp?. Also what programming languages do you code in?, one more thing, if you're a self taught programmer what were the resources you made use of while learning?

Thank you.
Re: Any Hope In Nigeria Or Just Move To Canada? (Finally moved to UK) by Hannania(m): 2:53am On Dec 11, 2020
ULOPVQ:

As a Junior Dev. in Nigeria you should expect anything between 150K - 250K on average. From what I know of Stutern, they will guide you until you land an offer.

My Personal Advice: Try focusing on one stack first either Frontend or Backend, this would make you seem more presentable to a potential employer. Nobody would like to hire a Full Stack Dev. with no professional experience.

Good luck in your journey.
Thanks. But the courses do have atleast two month internship on real life projects for clients, which help boast CVs. And also, whats the range if i get lucky to work remotly as a junior dev ?

Note:Am studying Telecoms Engineering, and my interest lies more on Embedded Software(C/C++, Linux, FGPA) just need something to keep me up during my IT next year, before i relocate for my MSC in that field.
Re: Any Hope In Nigeria Or Just Move To Canada? (Finally moved to UK) by abike12(f): 3:58am On Dec 11, 2020
Please go to Canada and continue your remote work from there. You can even expand operations in Nigeria after you get your Canadian passport and shuttle back and forth, by then you would have secured your second passport and access to good healthcare. Goodluck
Re: Any Hope In Nigeria Or Just Move To Canada? (Finally moved to UK) by maternal: 4:10am On Dec 11, 2020
Aconomist:

Canada doesn't allow poor people to migrate to their country, only to live on the streets. Stop lying. Toronto is the fastest growing tech hub city in North America. And once he lands as a PR, he can get government loans/bursaries if he can't afford to go to school. Your ignorant about this topic, stop giving advice. Even if you're right. I'd rather live on the streets in Canada than S-hole naija. At least I know I'll be controlling my destiny and I'll be successful one day.

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/careers.workopolis.com/advice/toronto-fastest-growing-market-tech-jobs-north-america/amp/

4 Likes

Re: Any Hope In Nigeria Or Just Move To Canada? (Finally moved to UK) by maternal: 4:13am On Dec 11, 2020
tensazangetsu20:

He's a tech guy. He doesn't need a degree to get a job but it doesn't hurt to have one. Two ex andelans got jobs in Canada from Nigeria through the global talent program.

He's an enemy of progress. Even if this tech gig doesn't work out, the opportunities in Canada is endless, especially as a legal resident. He doesn't tell the man how to legally migrate to America, and the insane amount of tuition he'd have to pay as a non citizen or green card holder. Anyone who advices one to stay in naija is a devil.

3 Likes

Re: Any Hope In Nigeria Or Just Move To Canada? (Finally moved to UK) by ULOPVQ: 4:48am On Dec 11, 2020
Hannania:
Thanks. But the courses do have atleast two month internship on real life projects for clients, which help boast CVs. And also, whats the range if i get lucky to work remotly as a junior dev ?

Note:Am studying Telecoms Engineering, and my interest lies more on Embedded Software(C/C++, Linux, FGPA) just need something to keep me up during my IT next year, before i relocate for my MSC in that field.

Chances of working remotely at an early stage maybe bad for your development but its my advice. You should earn around $1K, it all depends on your negotiation skill.
Re: Any Hope In Nigeria Or Just Move To Canada? (Finally moved to UK) by Aconomist: 4:59am On Dec 11, 2020
Re: Any Hope In Nigeria Or Just Move To Canada? (Finally moved to UK) by confusedmind1: 6:53am On Dec 11, 2020
Hannania:
Hello sir, i'm considering registering for the Stutern accelerator course in software development, which cost 540k. Its a 6 month full stack course for front and back end with react and Node.js. or that of Eduraka costing about 250k. When done, with just 6months of experience, what can be my feasible earning before i relocate abroad ?

A guide to a productive stack would be helpful. Thanks

Go with stutern since they will help you in getting a job, it more difficult to get a job on your own without experience.

My stack is full-stack C# .Net with Angular

2 Likes

Re: Any Hope In Nigeria Or Just Move To Canada? (Finally moved to UK) by confusedmind1: 6:54am On Dec 11, 2020
Nicoswit:

Thats good but make sure you backup ur strong reasons with strong plans...(note:when making ur plans on ur finances over there, remember TAX is real)

Yes you are right, thanks.
Re: Any Hope In Nigeria Or Just Move To Canada? (Finally moved to UK) by confusedmind1: 7:20am On Dec 11, 2020
Fidelismaria:

You've gotten enough advice, so let me digress. you say you're a programmer, are you self taught or bootcamp?. Also what programming languages do you code in?, one more thing, if you're a self-taught programmer what were the resources you made use of while learning?

Thank you.

I started as a self-taught back in 2013 but it was all joke till 2016 when I did my IT at Aptech I was properly directed there.

Please you can afford a boot camp go for one especially the ones that can help you get a job.

In this programming career learning skill is different from using the skill(gaining experiemce) and most companies are not ready to help you gain experience because is very difficult to work with junior dev and the moment a junior dev starts doing well he will run away. grin

My simple advice is use a boot camp that will help you get a job if you can afford one.

Else

Learn on your own but find a developer that will mentor you, then after learning look for internship, I once did 3months unpaid internship in a startup in lagos just to gain experience.

I'm full-stack C# .Net with AngularJs.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Any Hope In Nigeria Or Just Move To Canada? (Finally moved to UK) by Hannania(m): 7:23am On Dec 11, 2020
confusedmind1:

Go with stutern since they will help you in getting a job, it more difficult to get a job on your own without experience.

My stack is full-stack C# .Net with Angular
Alright sir. I'm actually learning to relocate, not to get jobs around here. After the training, am leaving for MSC ASAP
Re: Any Hope In Nigeria Or Just Move To Canada? (Finally moved to UK) by confusedmind1: 7:25am On Dec 11, 2020
Hannania:
Alright sir. I'm actually learning to relocate, not to get jobs around here. After the training, am leaving for MSC ASAP

That's good, in all your learning try to use it for some time so it will stick in your memory well.

Experience is important like the skill.
Re: Any Hope In Nigeria Or Just Move To Canada? (Finally moved to UK) by Hannania(m): 7:28am On Dec 11, 2020
ULOPVQ:

Chances of working remotely at an early stage maybe bad for your development but its my advice. You should earn around $1K, it all depends on your negotiation skill.
Alrigt, thanks. Node.js/React, or Django/React , which would be globally more flexible
Re: Any Hope In Nigeria Or Just Move To Canada? (Finally moved to UK) by Hannania(m): 7:29am On Dec 11, 2020
confusedmind1:

That's good, in all your learning try to use it for some time so it will stick in your memory well.

Experience is important like the skill.
Of course. Thanks. I sent you a dm. I'll love to connect with you On linkedinsmiley
Re: Any Hope In Nigeria Or Just Move To Canada? (Finally moved to UK) by Fidelismaria: 10:18am On Dec 11, 2020
confusedmind1:

I started as a self-taught back in 2013 but it was all joke till 2016 when I did my IT at Aptech I was properly directed there.

Please you can afford a boot camp go for one especially the ones that can help you get a job.

In this programming career learning skill is different from using the skill(gaining experiemce) and most companies are not ready to help you gain experience because is very difficult to work with junior dev and the moment a junior dev starts doing well he will run away. grin

My simple advice is use a boot camp that will help you get a job if you can afford one.

Else

Learn on your own but find a developer that will mentor you, then after learning look for internship, I once did 3months unpaid internship in a startup in lagos just to gain experience.

I'm full-stack C# .Net with AngularJs.

Thanks for the response. I'm currently self learning JS, I must say it's not so easy. I'm fluent in HTML and CSS.

Re: Any Hope In Nigeria Or Just Move To Canada? (Finally moved to UK) by nathpope(m): 1:40am On Dec 12, 2020
confusedmind1:
Hello nairalanders,

Help me in making the right decision on the next step to take.

I'm a programmer working remotely for an European based company where I earn 450 to 500k monthly depending on the exchange rate. I stay in the Eastern part of the country where cost of living is more affordable so I make a decent savings monthly as I cut my expenses as much as possible.

I have issue with making a decision between settling down here in Nigeria and running a tech company(which I have a already started investing on for some months now) or channeling my energy to pursing the Canada express entry program.

I seem to be too comfortable but the way people are leaving the country it makes it to be as if we do not have hope in the country and the only hope is traveling abroad. I have some friends who are doing better than me here in Nigeria that had already left.

Currently I have built a bungalow where I stay with my family, and also started foundations for block of flats which I intend to rent after completion, but recently I started having cold feet if I should continue with the building of block of flats and at the same time building my tech company or just abandon it and divert my energy to Canadian express entry so I can move and start afresh in Canada with my family.

Please I need your advice on how to choose my next step.

LET ME REPEAT WHAT SOMEONE ELSE SAID..

Move only if you have a good job waiting for you in canada..if not focus on ur tech company in naija and keep accumulating properties.

YOU WILL ALWAYS BE A FOREIGNER (STRANGER) IN ANOTHER MAN'S LAND NO MATTER HOW LONG YOU ARE THERE.

Though Nigeria is NOT encouraging but be sure to have a SOLID BASE here even before moving abroad.

1 Like

Re: Any Hope In Nigeria Or Just Move To Canada? (Finally moved to UK) by maternal: 3:51am On Dec 12, 2020
nathpope:

LET ME REPEAT WHAT SOMEONE ELSE SAID..

Move only if you have a good job waiting for you in canada..if not focus on ur tech company in naija and keep accumulating properties.

YOU WILL ALWAYS BE A FOREIGNER (STRANGER) IN ANOTHER MAN'S LAND NO MATTER HOW LONG YOU ARE THERE.

Though Nigeria is NOT encouraging but be sure to have a SOLID BASE here even before moving abroad.

I love you'll always be a foreigner abroad. Serious question, what has Nigeria given you being a native ?

3 Likes

Re: Any Hope In Nigeria Or Just Move To Canada? (Finally moved to UK) by frailbuzz: 10:15pm On Dec 12, 2020
Let me start with the words of Aisha Yusufu (sorry if i didn't get the name correctly) "My only regret in life is having all my investment in Naira". you are educated, you have skills that is sought after worldwide. if you have heard of Canada express entry program, that will be your best bet for migration. It wont be easy but i promise you, it will be worth it. The moment the thought of migration entered your mind was the same moment you decided you are ready to start over, unlearn some things and replace them with better knowledge.

I will not tell you to travel because of the corrupt state of Nigeria, corruption is everywhere, not because of education, it is available online nowadays.
Not even to secure your children's future, you need to secure your life first. You have a great job and can probably afford and gain access to great medical care. but bear in mind, this is a route that if left unexplored might haunt you for life.

What is the assurance that the economy will improve? even if it does, nobody will tell you not to go back when you want to. Why not enjoy the perks of both worlds.

Travel in your youth, make friends, establish connections, gain international experience, get a passport that is not green, then go back home and establish that business if you really love Nigeria that much otherwise, work here, retire and finally go back to Nigeria, enjoy the weather and get your pension checks every month uninterrupted.

I will end with a personal advice, if you have a legitimate means of migrating, don't let it slip. Don't call it checking out or jappa or whatever nonsensical names there are out there, call it exploring your options. Good luck to you and whatever path you decide to take.

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Any Hope In Nigeria Or Just Move To Canada? (Finally moved to UK) by rinzaugustine: 2:33am On Dec 13, 2020
Why would you leave something that is working for you for one that is not? No country is perfect.Would you prefer to be overseas and have nothing.I have worked here in US for years now and I have not bought a single land and you are on your second house ..nawao The tempo of work is faster here than Nigeria and you might develop high blood pressure or diabetes trying to keep up.If you don’t mind , I have a brother in Enugu who is not working, can I send him to you so that you teach him the programming ..US is almost the same with Nigeria if you have income.There are good schools and hospitals In Nigeria and in many places you can stay years without hearing a gun shot.I will advice you stay in Nigeria while you visit Canada.

1 Like

Re: Any Hope In Nigeria Or Just Move To Canada? (Finally moved to UK) by Hannania(m): 3:10am On Dec 13, 2020
rinzaugustine:
Why would you leave something that is working for you for one that is not? No country is perfect.Would you prefer to be overseas and have nothing.I have worked here in US for years now and I have not bought a single land and you are on your second house ..nawao The tempo of work is faster here than Nigeria and you might develop high blood pressure or diabetes trying to keep up.If you don’t mind , I have a brother in Enugu who is not working, can I send him to you so that you teach him the programming ..US is almost the same with Nigeria if you have income.There are good schools and hospitals In Nigeria and in many places you can stay years without hearing a gun shot.I will advice you stay in Nigeria while you visit Canada.
E be things oooo�. You've worked in the US for "years" without a car, and thats a measure of excellence or achievement ?
May i ask what you do there ? Because the last time i checked, economy and social wise in all perspective, US is 200% more than Nigeria(sadly).

The only persons advocating for persons to remain in Nigeria are those looting, or those benefitting from the loot. In your case, those without perfect or legal grounds in the said country they are. Shalom smiley
Re: Any Hope In Nigeria Or Just Move To Canada? (Finally moved to UK) by maternal: 7:21am On Dec 13, 2020
rinzaugustine:

Who's stopping you from returning to naija ?

3 Likes

Re: Any Hope In Nigeria Or Just Move To Canada? (Finally moved to UK) by Asquare84(m): 7:59am On Dec 13, 2020
People that are moving out from Nigeria are low income earner and have poor thinking ability, I just gloth over my colleague in the office dude have a house in Abuja, own a cars and is doing well, all of a sudden dude sold everything and turn up his resignation letter ( with a PFA), next story he relocate to Canada. I mean I can imagine wizkid, davido will say they will leave music career and relocate to another country to start life. My advice to you is to stay in Nigeria and develop yourself, alot of people out there are suffering abroad but will never admit it.
Re: Any Hope In Nigeria Or Just Move To Canada? (Finally moved to UK) by tensazangetsu20(m): 7:59am On Dec 13, 2020
maternal:

Who's stopping you from returning to naija ?
No mind them. That other girl dasparrow never come comment nonsense for the thread. Nigeria good e be heaven but to come back na war. Very wicked people.

1 Like

Re: Any Hope In Nigeria Or Just Move To Canada? (Finally moved to UK) by Gerrard59(m): 8:16am On Dec 13, 2020
rinzaugustine:

Not only are you a hypocrite but very wicked. If western countries are so bad, relocate to Nigeria!

6 Likes

Re: Any Hope In Nigeria Or Just Move To Canada? (Finally moved to UK) by frailbuzz: 9:23am On Dec 13, 2020
rinzaugustine:

From your write-up, I can say that you either entered the US illegally or you are one of them lazy Nigerian youth as propounded by PMB. You can never build a sky scrapper by doing an eight to four job. Ask anybody who in your books or eyes have made it. You will have to break your back one way or another no matter the economy you find yourself.

It is an insult to the US to classify their economy as same with Nigeria's. If after YEARS of working in the US you have nothing to show for it, I honestly think it's time you throw in the towel and head on back home. Maybe just maybe your grass will be greener on the other side.

If advice is to be given based on personal experience, you are part of the tiny fraction of sorry cases of Nigerians whose life other sadist use as example to discourage others from taking that leap of faith and finding out just what life holds out for them.

5 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Nigeria Becomes Ineligible For The DV-2015 Lottery.. / 5 Exciting Places To Visit In Warri / Cheapest Nursing School In Canada

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 91
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.