Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,891 members, 7,828,150 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 03:18 AM

Any Hope In Nigeria Or Just Move To Canada? (Finally moved to UK) - Travel (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Any Hope In Nigeria Or Just Move To Canada? (Finally moved to UK) (5523 Views)

Finally Moved My Wife And Kids. / See What Happened When I Moved To My New Environment (pics) / $120,000 To Leave Nigeria Or 450,000 Naira Salary? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Any Hope In Nigeria Or Just Move To Canada? (Finally moved to UK) by Subomi007: 1:22pm On Dec 13, 2020
Asquare84 post=97015276:
People that are moving out from Nigeria are low income earner and have poor thinking ability
, Haaaa wait do you think moving out to Canada or any other developed countries legally is for poor people who bearly feed themselves? Please refrain from making such unguided statement. I just gloth over my colleague in the office dude have a house in Abuja, own a cars and is doing well, all of a sudden dude sold everything and turn up his resignation letter ( with a PFA), next story he relocate to Canada. The best decision I will make without any regret, please is it that we pretend to the reality in this country or just trying to be so awkward and unrealistic? I mean I can imagine wizkid, davido will say they will leave music career and relocate to another country to start life. My advice to you is to stay in Nigeria and develop yourself, alot of people out there are suffering abroad but will never admit it.
Re: Any Hope In Nigeria Or Just Move To Canada? (Finally moved to UK) by maternal: 2:08pm On Dec 13, 2020
Asquare84:
People that are moving out from Nigeria are low income earner and have poor thinking ability, I just gloth over my colleague in the office dude have a house in Abuja, own a cars and is doing well, all of a sudden dude sold everything and turn up his resignation letter ( with a PFA), next story he relocate to Canada. I mean I can imagine wizkid, davido will say they will leave music career and relocate to another country to start life. My advice to you is to stay in Nigeria and develop yourself, alot of people out there are suffering abroad but will never admit it.

Enemy of progress keep quiet

Stop lying. Countries don't take poor immigrants. They take the top immigrants, especially developed first world countries. Was your friend poor ? Bafoon wizkid and a davido would lose money if they moved to the west full time. Nigeria and Africa is wear they make their money.

If many abroad are suffering, then what does that say about Nigeria that has a much lower median salary and quality of life than these countries? ICC has concluded your government committed war crimes against its own citizens. Yet nobody has still been arrested. Maybe your co-worker wanted to leave this zoo ? You know not everything in life is about material things ?

4 Likes

Re: Any Hope In Nigeria Or Just Move To Canada? (Finally moved to UK) by 79733139(m): 2:20pm On Dec 13, 2020
Suffering in Nigeria and that of Canada are two different things. Their standard of living at poverty level in Canada is a lot more higher than in Nigeria, overall you are still better of in countries like Canada and Germany. In those countries, there is a welfare system (food, healthcare and basic shelter) to cover you if things aren't working out for you at the moment.

How many low income earners and poor thinkers do you think can scale the tedious Express Entry process? And as for that your friend, after 3 years of legitimately working in Canada, he can apply for citizenship and get it before his 4th year in Canada. With a Canadian passport he can move to any 1st world country that he likes, while you still remain in Nigeria trying your best to discourage others from making an attempt to better their lives.

Asquare84:
People that are moving out from Nigeria are low income earner and have poor thinking ability, I just gloth over my colleague in the office dude have a house in Abuja, own a cars and is doing well, all of a sudden dude sold everything and turn up his resignation letter ( with a PFA), next story he relocate to Canada. I mean I can imagine wizkid, davido will say they will leave music career and relocate to another country to start life. My advice to you is to stay in Nigeria and develop yourself, alot of people out there are suffering abroad but will never admit it.

1 Like

Re: Any Hope In Nigeria Or Just Move To Canada? (Finally moved to UK) by maternal: 2:46pm On Dec 13, 2020
79733139:
Suffering in Nigeria and that of Canada are two different things. Their standard of living at poverty level in Canada is a lot more higher than in Nigeria, overall you are still better of in countries like Canada and Germany. In those countries, there is a welfare system (food, healthcare and basic shelter) to cover you if things aren't working out for you at the moment.

How many low income earners and poor thinkers do you think can scale the tedious Express Entry process? And as for that your friend, after 3 years of legitimately working in Canada, he can apply for citizenship and get it before his 4th year in Canada. With a Canadian passport he can move to any 1st world country that he likes, while you still remain in Nigeria trying your best to discourage others from making an attempt to better their lives.

He's a typical selfish and arrogant Nigerian, who's definition of success is having a little job and house. And on the weekends, he goes out and chops suya while drinking beer. He doesn't know his co-worker is the one laughing at him deep down. In fact more like pity.

5 Likes

Re: Any Hope In Nigeria Or Just Move To Canada? (Finally moved to UK) by rinzaugustine: 3:32pm On Dec 13, 2020
frailbuzz:

From your write-up, I can say that you either entered the US illegally or you are one of them lazy Nigerian youth as propounded by PMB. You can never build a sky scrapper by doing an eight to four job. Ask anybody who in your books or eyes have made it. You will have to break your back one way or another no matter the economy you find yourself.

It is an insult to the US to classify their economy as same with Nigeria's. If after YEARS of working in the US you have nothing to show for it, I honestly think it's time you throw in the towel and head on back home. Maybe just maybe your grass will be greener on the other side.

If advice is to be given based on personal experience, you are part of the tiny fraction of sorry cases of Nigerians whose life other sadist use as example to discourage others from taking that leap of faith and finding out just what life holds out for them.Here in the US too I am not rich and I lack nothing either.I am a proud US military veteran and I vote in every election and I enjoy the same quality of life as the same leaders as buhari that kept you guys in perpetual torment of frustration and poverty and I am not interested in meeting people like you because it I don’t really need it

Do you know the number of people in my family that I am their benefactor? ..that look up to me for survival...young youths like you who are either schooling or not working in Nigeria? You have never known responsibility of living overseas and having many dependents at home to support.I gained admission in 1997 in Nigeria with 2 trousers,2 shirts,a shoe and 100 Naira but the same system lazy youths condemn daily is the same I worked through to give myself a comfortable life before I moved here in US. A lot of youths spend their whole lives online bad mouthing Nigeria not knowing that if you don’t make your lives good in your country first ,no country would allow you entry. Here in the US too I am not rich and I lack nothing either.I am a proud US military veteran and I vote in every election and I enjoy the same quality of life and health care as the same leaders like buhari that kept Nigeria backwards

1 Like

Re: Any Hope In Nigeria Or Just Move To Canada? (Finally moved to UK) by rinzaugustine: 4:04pm On Dec 13, 2020
maternal:

Who's stopping you from returning to naija ?
mugu
Re: Any Hope In Nigeria Or Just Move To Canada? (Finally moved to UK) by rinzaugustine: 4:16pm On Dec 13, 2020
Hannania:
E be things oooo�. You've worked in the US for "years" without a car, and thats a measure of excellence or achievement ?
May i ask what you do there ? Because the last time i checked, economy and social wise in all perspective, US is 200% more than Nigeria(sadly).

The only persons advocating for persons to remain in Nigeria are those looting, or those benefitting from the loot. In your case, those without perfect or legal grounds in the said country they are. Shalom smiley
Anybody can own a car in US.It’s not achievement..just like buying a new shoe in Nigeria.You don’t have to be only a politician or yahoo buy to make money in Nigeria.There are thousands of legitimate ways which the youths don’t research on because of a lazy mindset of focusing on the criminals throwing money around in the society.Many business men are exporting cashew seeds and other related items and making millions of naira per shipment,many people are working customer care jobs for US companies from home and earning at least $2k per month,many Nigerians have learnt programming from YouTube videos and are now employed and earning thousands of dollars legitimately from overseas companies etc Nigeria is a beautiful country with lots of opportunities if you truly understand what is happening..the same reason the same set of people are getting rich is not voodoo ritual they did, but seeking ,researching and using information majority of the underprivileged do not care about

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Any Hope In Nigeria Or Just Move To Canada? (Finally moved to UK) by maternal: 5:49pm On Dec 13, 2020
rinzaugustine:
mugu

So mugu is stopping you front returning back to naija ?

2 Likes

Re: Any Hope In Nigeria Or Just Move To Canada? (Finally moved to UK) by Hannania(m): 6:28pm On Dec 13, 2020
rinzaugustine:
Anybody can own a car in US.It’s not achievement..just like buying a new shoe in Nigeria.You don’t have to be only a politician or yahoo buy to make money in Nigeria.There are thousands of legitimate ways which the youths don’t research on because of a lazy mindset of focusing on the criminals throwing money around in the society.Many business men are exporting cashew seeds and other related items and making millions of naira per shipment,many people are working customer care jobs for US companies from home and earning at least $2k per month,many Nigerians have learnt programming from YouTube videos and are now employed and earning thousands of dollars legitimately from overseas companies etc Nigeria is a beautiful country with lots of opportunities if you truly understand what is happening..the same reason the same set of people are getting rich is not voodoo ritual they did, but seeking ,researching and using information majority of the underprivileged do not care about
Re: Any Hope In Nigeria Or Just Move To Canada? (Finally moved to UK) by Hannania(m): 6:29pm On Dec 13, 2020
rinzaugustine:
You don't get it do you ? Its not about the money. People earn times five of that and still leave. Nigerians working in multi Nationals, investment backers, Engineers, medical personnel etc.

It all goes down to social well being. Whats the point of earning millions, and at the end of the day, you don't get a well equipped health system to put faith on, rather using religious ignorance to cover up ?
What do you say about having same millions and finding it difficult for mobility because of an insecure state ?
What do you say about having same millions, and when you have a court case, the justice system takes years to render you justice, and at the end, its with no trust ?

So many that i can list, but it all goes down to social well being.

Nigerians spend close to 25m per family for express entry to Canada for example, and you think its about money ?
Its not the money, but the environment for a better standard of living

4 Likes

Re: Any Hope In Nigeria Or Just Move To Canada? (Finally moved to UK) by presidential: 6:31pm On Dec 13, 2020
rinzaugustine:

Majority of those insulting your opinion are undergraduate, fresh graduate or the uninformed who do not understand life. They are being clothed and fed by their family and only fantasize about the beautiful pictures and make believe stories they see and hear about Europe and America. Nigeria with so many problems and challenges is one of the easiest country to be wealthy if one can provide solution to those Challenges. Nigeria's young people are all looking for ready made. By the time they travel out and face the reality of the saturated and a highly competitive society, many delve into crime to survive and appear successful, while others continue leaving an average life with lots of regrets. Those who are looking for greener pasture in Europe and America in this century should please hurry up and leave.

4 Likes

Re: Any Hope In Nigeria Or Just Move To Canada? (Finally moved to UK) by Hannania(m): 6:42pm On Dec 13, 2020
presidential:

Majority of those insulting your opinion are undergraduate, fresh graduate or the uninformed who do not understand life. They are being clothed and fed by their family and only fantasize about the beautiful pictures and make believe stories they see and hear about Europe and America. Nigeria with so many problems and challenges is one of the easiest country to be wealthy if one can provide solution to those Challenges. Nigeria's young people are all looking for ready made. By the time they travel out and face the reality of the saturated and a highly competitive society, many delve into crime to survive and appear successful, while others continue leaving an average life with lots of regrets. Those who are looking for greener pasture in Europe and America in this century should please hurry up and leave.
People don't earn millions and leave their country for no reason. You think its about money because we have a bad orientation about what a good standard of living is in this nation.

Anyways, enjoy your country, until the negative state of the realities like the police treatment, or the justice and health system get to you, and lets see what becomes of your view.

We've seen folks like you talk so in 2010,2011....2019. And we know what they speak of now.

Good luck with that.

2 Likes

Re: Any Hope In Nigeria Or Just Move To Canada? (Finally moved to UK) by sweetmelanin(f): 7:34pm On Dec 13, 2020
falopey:

No EU or US company would pay him more than that for working remotely from a third world country for them.

There are programmers in those countries that can handle the job better. But for the fact that the company is looking for a way to reduce cost, they decided to seek hands in third world countries where the little pay goes a long way.

My younger brother is into freelancing jobs for different companies in EU and US. He is paid using my PayPal account because I’m outside the country. Nigerians can’t receive PayPal. I can never take up that kind of pay for the job he does for them. Because, to me, it looks like they are exploiting him. But for him, it’s a lot of money because he is in Nigeria. These companies outsource for the job in poor countries so they can pay less.

If OP wants to make more, his best bet is to move to countries where those companies are.

You have a point here... companies actually do seek out cheap labour in Africa and Asia (India especially)

4 Likes

Re: Any Hope In Nigeria Or Just Move To Canada? (Finally moved to UK) by rinzaugustine: 7:42pm On Dec 13, 2020
maternal:

So mugu is stopping you front returning back to naija ?
Did I mention I wasn’t returning to Nigeria? I do and can only do that permanently when I retire.Nobody travels anywhere without a plan already there
Re: Any Hope In Nigeria Or Just Move To Canada? (Finally moved to UK) by NigPatriot(m): 8:22pm On Dec 13, 2020
Oga, no need to talk to much. Come back to Nigeria!. You people that discourage others from exploring their options of leaving the country, while yet, you're in another man's land, is pure wickedness.

It's easier to be in America and give another man advice to stay back in a Shithole. Why not you come back and experience the same shit. I see comments like this most of the time and I'm pained because it's pure wickedness.

rinzaugustine:
Why would you leave something that is working for you for one that is not? No country is perfect.Would you prefer to be overseas and have nothing.I have worked here in US for years now and I have not bought a single land and you are on your second house ..nawao The tempo of work is faster here than Nigeria and you might develop high blood pressure or diabetes trying to keep up.If you don’t mind , I have a brother in Enugu who is not working, can I send him to you so that you teach him the programming ..US is almost the same with Nigeria if you have income.There are good schools and hospitals In Nigeria and in many places you can stay years without hearing a gun shot.I will advice you stay in Nigeria while you visit Canada.

2 Likes

Re: Any Hope In Nigeria Or Just Move To Canada? (Finally moved to UK) by Subomi007: 9:39pm On Dec 13, 2020
Those of you that have turned to pastors suddenly, preaching to people not leave that Nigeria is eldorado.

This is on the front page and if you cant see it, here is it https://www.nairaland.com/6312204/nigerians-spent-over-1b-buying

Maybe this will tell you we are living in a completely failed and dead country.
Re: Any Hope In Nigeria Or Just Move To Canada? (Finally moved to UK) by frailbuzz: 10:12pm On Dec 13, 2020
rinzaugustine:
You are an online idiot.Do you know the number of people in my family that I am their benefactor? ..that look up to me for survival...young youths like you who are either schooling or not working in Nigeria? You have never known responsibility of living overseas and having many dependents at home to support.I gained admission in 1997 in Nigeria with 2 trousers,2 shirts,a shoe and 100 Naira but the same system lazy youths like you condemn daily is the same I worked through to give myself a comfortable life before I moved here in US. A lot of poor youths like you spend their whole lives online bad mouthing Nigeria not knowing that if you don’t make your lives good in your country first ,no country would allow you entry. Here in the US too I am not rich and I lack nothing either.I am a proud US military veteran and I vote in every election and I enjoy the same quality of life and health care as the same leaders like buhari that kept you guys in perpetual torment of frustration and poverty and I am not interested in meeting people like you because i don’t really need it

Now you've said what you do with your money. You sure made it seem as if you have been struggling in vain. He chose to build a house and you chose to help family. I am very sure you have an American passport and think of the next available flight when you want to travel to almost any destination not about the bureaucratic process of obtaining a visa. Your future and that of your offspring is secure. If you can leave everything you had going for you in Nigeria why shouldn't he?

I am a Canadian permanent resident who left a well paying job in Nigeria and have never regretted it. Its a beautiful world out here and I would encourage anyone who wants and has a means of leaving Nigeria legitimately to do so.

You can imagine the value of the naira when you left and the value now. Very soon, there will be no middle class in that country. You are either poor or you are rich.
If you will indulge me, please let me know your reason for leaving Nigeria and if you regret your decision.

5 Likes

Re: Any Hope In Nigeria Or Just Move To Canada? (Finally moved to UK) by Halifaxguy: 11:09pm On Dec 13, 2020
Asquare84:

I agree to your last statement. Some people in Canada always overhyped it. This is my 10 years of living in Canada. Had a Canadain degree in computer science. Works as software developer in one of the biggest financial firms here. Earns a decent salary based on Canadain standard. But the reality in Canada is only 10% of the population earns from $80k upward per annum (source: statistics Canada). Canada has more of service sector jobs and warehouses than graduate jobs. Reasons why many people in Canada earns within the range of minimum wages obtainable in their respective provinces. I have seen some Nigerians working at one of Amazon fulfillment centers as associate (job is strenuous and fast paced but pay is minimum wage), and these people will tell you that they were project engineers in one oil and gas company in Nigeria making millions of naira every month without much stress. Sometimes you will see the regrets on their face and some will even blame their wife of causing them to leave their well paying job to migrate to Canny. Here am not discouraging people to migrate to canny. But if you have a well paying jobs or a well paying business in 9ja and are already used to soft life lol, think twice before coming to Canada and prepared your minds that you could end up with menial jobs which you are not used to. But for those who don't have anything much going on for them in Nigeria, abeg japa to Canada. At least serving coffee in Tim Hortons and earning $12 per hour is better than earning 100k per month in 9ja.
NB: No where is paradise even in Canada. So brace up when you land. To OP welcome to the maple land in advance. All the best

3 Likes

Re: Any Hope In Nigeria Or Just Move To Canada? (Finally moved to UK) by Nicoswit(m): 6:40am On Dec 14, 2020
Halifaxguy:

I agree to your last statement. Some people in Canada always overhyped it. This is my 10 years of living in Canada.
You have just spoken the truth bro but they wont listen...one of the things that i personally dont like about those western countries is the high tax...for me the tax will make it difficult to have a decent savings especially as a family man...and the higher your salary,the higher your tax mehn!
Re: Any Hope In Nigeria Or Just Move To Canada? (Finally moved to UK) by 79733139(m): 8:22am On Dec 14, 2020
Most people that are attempting the scale the Express Entry process already know this. The issue isn't about living in paradise or about picking free money on the street, it's about living in a country whose system of government works has a decent welfare provision for law abiding citizens if they fall on hard times!

Halifaxguy:
NB: No where is paradise even in Canada. So brace up when you land. To OP welcome to the maple land in advance. All the best

2 Likes

Re: Any Hope In Nigeria Or Just Move To Canada? (Finally moved to UK) by 79733139(m): 8:24am On Dec 14, 2020
Still your net income (take home salary) doesn't reduce. If you are doing something good that your employer decides to increase your gross salary, it's always a good thing.

Nicoswit:

You have just spoken the truth bro but they wont listen...one of the things that i personally dont like about those western countries is the high tax...for me the tax will make it difficult to have a decent savings especially as a family man...and the higher your salary,the higher your tax mehn!
Re: Any Hope In Nigeria Or Just Move To Canada? (Finally moved to UK) by 79733139(m): 8:30am On Dec 14, 2020
For a lot of them, it is envy. For these people, age, academic degree or inability to pass IELTS/TEF is what prevents them from being able to immigrate into Canada. So instead of finding a way to better their lives, they come on Nairaland to discourage as many people as possible from going to Canada.

maternal:

He's a typical selfish and arrogant Nigerian, who's definition of success is having a little job and house. And on the weekends, he goes out and chops suya while drinking beer. He doesn't know his co-worker is the one laughing at him deep down. In fact more like pity.
Re: Any Hope In Nigeria Or Just Move To Canada? (Finally moved to UK) by Lexusgs430: 9:30am On Dec 14, 2020
confusedmind1:
Hello nairalanders,

Help me in making the right decision on the next step to take.

I'm a programmer working remotely for an European based company where I earn 450 to 500k monthly depending on the exchange rate. I stay in the Eastern part of the country where cost of living is more affordable so I make a decent savings monthly as I cut my expenses as much as possible.

I have issue with making a decision between settling down here in Nigeria and running a tech company(which I have a already started investing on for some months now) or channeling my energy to pursing the Canada express entry program.

I seem to be too comfortable but the way people are leaving the country it makes it to be as if we do not have hope in the country and the only hope is traveling abroad. I have some friends who are doing better than me here in Nigeria that had already left.

Currently I have built a bungalow where I stay with my family, and also started foundations for block of flats which I intend to rent after completion, but recently I started having cold feet if I should continue with the building of block of flats and at the same time building my tech company or just abandon it and divert my energy to Canadian express entry so I can move and start afresh in Canada with my family.

Please I need your advice on how to choose my next step.

Why seek hope, from a hopeless situation......... wink
Re: Any Hope In Nigeria Or Just Move To Canada? (Finally moved to UK) by maternal: 3:50pm On Dec 14, 2020
Nicoswit:

Nigerians always complain about not having the basic needs. Then when its time to pay taxes so these services can be provided, they start to shout. This is what happens when you've only lived in a 3rd world country your whole life.

Paying taxes actually makes life cheaper. It'd be unaffordable to pay everything out of your pockets. Hence why the typical Nigerian lacks a lot. By the time you pay for school fees, hospital fee, security, etc out of pocket, what do you have left ?

3 Likes

Re: Any Hope In Nigeria Or Just Move To Canada? (Finally moved to UK) by nathpope(m): 5:54pm On Dec 14, 2020
maternal:

I love you'll always be a foreigner abroad. Serious question, what has Nigeria given you being a native ?

Kindly read my last paragraph again to comprehend fully..
Re: Any Hope In Nigeria Or Just Move To Canada? (Finally moved to UK) by damzy88: 4:03am On Dec 15, 2020
frailbuzz:
Let me start with the words of Aisha Yusufu (sorry if i didn't get the name correctly) "My only regret in life is having all my investment in Naira". you are educated, you have skills that is sought after worldwide. if you have heard of Canada express entry program, that will be your best bet for migration. It wont be easy but i promise you, it will be worth it. The moment the thought of migration entered your mind was the same moment you decided you are ready to start over, unlearn some things and replace them with better knowledge.

I will not tell you to travel because of the corrupt state of Nigeria, corruption is everywhere, not because of education, it is available online nowadays.
Not even to secure your children's future, you need to secure your life first. You have a great job and can probably afford and gain access to great medical care. but bear in mind, this is a route that if left unexplored might haunt you for life.

What is the assurance that the economy will improve? even if it does, nobody will tell you not to go back when you want to. Why not enjoy the perks of both worlds.

Travel in your youth, make friends, establish connections, gain international experience, get a passport that is not green, then go back home and establish that business if you really love Nigeria that much otherwise, work here, retire and finally go back to Nigeria, enjoy the weather and get your pension checks every month uninterrupted.

I will end with a personal advice, if you have a legitimate means of migrating, don't let it slip. Don't call it checking out or jappa or whatever nonsensical names there are out there, call it exploring your options. Good luck to you and whatever path you decide to take.

Lovely. I share the same mindset. Nice mentality. grin
Re: Any Hope In Nigeria Or Just Move To Canada? (Finally moved to UK) by 79733139(m): 8:59am On Dec 15, 2020
There are so many of them on Nairaland and Twitter. Saying things like: USA is bad, Canada is not easy... blah blah blah, YET they have refused to come back to Nigeria... obviously they know that no matter how bad those western countries are, their situations will never get to that of Nigeria.

Gerrard59:

Not only are you a hypocrite but very wicked. If western countries are so bad, relocate to Nigeria!

2 Likes

Re: Any Hope In Nigeria Or Just Move To Canada? (Finally moved to UK) by damzy88: 6:42pm On Dec 16, 2020
Nicoswit:

Where do you think the funds for the good roads and well equipped hospitals come from? lipsrsealed

1 Like

Re: Any Hope In Nigeria Or Just Move To Canada? (Finally moved to UK) by rinzaugustine: 6:38pm On Dec 24, 2020
frailbuzz:

Now you've said what you do with your money. You sure made it seem as if you have been struggling in vain. He chose to build a house and you chose to help family. I am very sure you have an American passport and think of the next available flight when you want to travel to almost any destination not about the bureaucratic process of obtaining a visa. Your future and that of your offspring is secure. If you can leave everything you had going for you in Nigeria why shouldn't he?

I am a Canadian permanent resident who left a well paying job in Nigeria and have never regretted it. Its a beautiful world out here and I would encourage anyone who wants and has a means of leaving Nigeria legitimately to do so.

You can imagine the value of the naira when you left and the value now. Very soon, there will be no middle class in that country. You are either poor or you are rich.
If you will indulge me, please let me know your reason for leaving Nigeria and if you regret your decision.
That was a great insight you made in your post. My reason was I felt I needed an international experience and education to fulfill my childhood dream of building a company and providing jobs for people in my community.When I was little I saw old women who should have been retired carrying heavy tray pans on their heads to market to eke out living so it motivated me to try and make a difference in my community no matter how little. I went for my masters program and close to completion there was a program Obama started then which was called MAVNI (Trump scrapped it)for people interested in joining the military.I enlisted an became a citizen shorty after my basic training. I served out my contract and started working with a contractor company that worked with my unit when I was in service because the military most times train you in good career field that can fetch you comfortable income until you retire.The difference between America and Nigeria is very wide in terms of the experience and opportunities.It broadened my horizon and outlook and life.The more you show passion the more they continue pushing you up your career ladder.It’s like there is no limit until you retire unlike Nigeria but you will get to a point here in your life and realize that good food,health care,house,cars,careers etc eventhough good, is not really the main thing we need in this world but the main thing we need is covered in the chaos and disorderliness of Nigeria .Americans are nice and all that but they don’t have communally deep and sincere relationships like I grew up with.You can be friends here with a neighbor or co worker but the only fact you know about them is where they work,love for dogs, goes to watch basketball games Friday nights etc..nothing deep and you see folks surrounded by ‘friends’ and still lonely.The problems here are mostly with people unlike Nigeria where it is with government always ie you can easily start a multi million dollar business here but lack of workers is a recurring problem that may ruin that business.You are excited about the the new system now but one day you will realize those things that excite you now are things that are taken for granted and by then you will realize the importance of positive change in our communities in Africa..and not wait for it to come from the government

2 Likes

Re: Any Hope In Nigeria Or Just Move To Canada? (Finally moved to UK) by confusedmind1: 10:40pm On Oct 19, 2021
confusedmind1:
Hello nairalanders,

Help me in making the right decision on the next step to take.

I'm a programmer working remotely for an European based company where I earn 450 to 500k monthly depending on the exchange rate. I stay in the Eastern part of the country where cost of living is more affordable so I make a decent savings monthly as I cut my expenses as much as possible.

I have issue with making a decision between settling down here in Nigeria and running a tech company(which I have a already started investing on for some months now) or channeling my energy to pursing the Canada express entry program.

I seem to be too comfortable but the way people are leaving the country it makes it to be as if we do not have hope in the country and the only hope is traveling abroad. I have some friends who are doing better than me here in Nigeria that had already left.

Currently I have built a bungalow where I stay with my family, and also started foundations for block of flats which I intend to rent after completion, but recently I started having cold feet if I should continue with the building of block of flats and at the same time building my tech company or just abandon it and divert my energy to Canadian express entry so I can move and start afresh in Canada with my family.

Please I need your advice on how to choose my next step.

Modified on 19/10/2021

Thank you all for the advice here it helped me in making the best decision of my life.

I eventually moved to the UK and in just 1 month I have a good software developer job supporting my Masters's Degree.

Please move from Nigeria if you have the means, am sorry to say this but just staying out side Nigeria for less than 2months I can Nigeria is cursed.

People work so hard but the money they make can't give them good food, here in the UK a cleaner can afford good food and basic needs.

6 Likes

Re: Any Hope In Nigeria Or Just Move To Canada? (Finally moved to UK) by Rictech: 7:58am On Oct 20, 2021
confusedmind1:

Modified on 19/10/2021

Thank you all for the advice here it helped me in making the best decision of my life.

I eventually moved to the UK and in just 1 month I have a good software developer job supporting my Masters's Degree.

Please move from Nigeria if you have the means, am sorry to say this but just staying out side Nigeria for less than 2months I can Nigeria is cursed.

People work so hard but the money they make can't give them good food, here in the UK a cleaner can afford good food and basic needs.
Congrats, Did you move to the UK through masters or a software job with visa sponsorship?
Re: Any Hope In Nigeria Or Just Move To Canada? (Finally moved to UK) by confusedmind1: 8:17am On Oct 20, 2021
Rictech:

Congrats, Did you move to the UK through master's or a software job with visa sponsorship?

Went through a Masters degree, then got a software developer job 16days after landing paying *2.5 of the remote job I was doing back home and just working 20hrs with less stress and workload.

Thanks to all the guys that saved me from putting my money in the building project back home it would have been a terrible mistake.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Nigeria Becomes Ineligible For The DV-2015 Lottery.. / 5 Exciting Places To Visit In Warri / Cheapest Nursing School In Canada

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 107
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.