Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,855 members, 7,956,222 topics. Date: Monday, 23 September 2024 at 08:04 AM

Beware Of The Latest Fraud On Teitter [SCREENSHOTS] - Crime - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / Beware Of The Latest Fraud On Teitter [SCREENSHOTS] (961 Views)

The Latest Fraud Happening In UBA Douglas Road, Owerri Right Now. / P.O.S Latest Fraud / Latest Fraud By Ibedc Baboko Ilorin (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Beware Of The Latest Fraud On Teitter [SCREENSHOTS] by TwitterThief: 5:46pm On Dec 10, 2020
Anyway, here's the deal:

I had trouble with a transaction with my bank. Went to the bank twice already, they only had tales to tell.

That's when I decided to call them out on Twitter, even though I never used the App prior to today.

After the calling out, I got a mention from ZenithBank with their logo and everything apologising for the "inconvenience" and subsequently directed me to their "official WhatsApp number."

Smug and satisfied with myself, I headed to WhatsApp. I even thought about using Twitter more. That perhaps they were right about the power of Social Media after all.

Do keep in mind that I'd tried calling the bank before this happened. But the line claimed that there were no representatives to speak to... because they were observing social distancing ( who would have guessed that there's a new strain of coronavirus that can be transferred electronically? E-coronavirus?).

Anyway, on WhatsApp I saw the logo of Zenith Bank and it was a business account, too.
The operator said her name was Vivian.

Then Vivian began questioning me about what was wrong, my account number and whatnots. I gave her the needed information.

Finally, Vivian said I needed to make a deposit of 9986 before I could get my own money. Here's where I should have noted that something was amiss.

I queried about that kind of arrangement would require me to pay money to get money when I wasn't doing MMM. But she assured me that there auto reflect system was malfunctioning. That I'd see my hanging money along with the new deposit.

That seemed harmless enough to me since I was not sending money to another person's account. But I still asked him the amount of money he saw hanging from his end and he told me the EXACT amount, so I was further reassured that I was dealing with the right person.
Re: Beware Of The Latest Fraud On Teitter [SCREENSHOTS] by TwitterThief: 6:39pm On Dec 10, 2020
Dam..I mumu oh.

I just remembered that I already sent him a file of the hanging transaction. That must be where he got the amount he gave me when I asked.

And I thought I was being a smart guy...chai!

Anyway, I asked someone to transfer -borrow me - the money. The person did but only the transferred amount appeared.

So I went back to Vivian and explained to him/her. Again, he apologized profusely and said he wanted to do a "refresh" of my account.

Then he asked for date of birth, which I supplied. After this, he asked that I send him the soft token code I received. Said he needed it to refresh the account.

Again, alarms started blaring in my head. So I asked him if it was safe since I understood that the token was mostly used for transactions.

So, I sent him the code....foolishly.

But...

I was lucky, the code didn't work. I guess it expired when I was querying him about the safety of giving him such a code.

So, he asked me to send the new code that I received.

And I promptly sent the new one.
Went straight to my mobile app and began to refresh it...

Telling everyone who'd listen that "Twitter is the new 8th wonder of the world."

I continued to refresh.

Next thing I knew, I saw a deduction of #10,000 in the balance.

I thought he took the money to refresh it and while refreshing it, bring back my hanging money. Who knows? They might be having their refreshments in the same joint...

So I waited...and waited...for what felt like eternity, even though only a couple of minutes had passed.

That was when I realized something was definitely wrong.

So I ran down to WhatsApp where I observed that I was already blocked.

Then it dawned on me that I had just become a DUPE

I went to Twitter to check. Just to confirm what I knew, but the account that I quoted was the official page of Zenith Bank. Befuddled, I concluded that Nigeria must be harder than I thought if a whole bank has now resorted to fraud. I mean not that these banks aren't fraudulent with their meaningless charges but outright fraud? That must be a new one.

On closer inspection, however, I realized that the account that replied to me was different from the one I quoted...

The account that replied me had _ in the username. I didn't notice earlier.

Also, someone else was scammed in the same manner as me. So beware, people.

Another also: when I checked the debit alert, I realized that the fraudster made an online purchase from PayStack. I never knew it was possible to purchase things online directly with your bank account. Anyway, I've contacted PayStack with the transaction ID. Perhaps, there's anything I could do.

Beware people, don't let anyone use your money for refreshments...or money you borrowed, for that matter.
Re: Beware Of The Latest Fraud On Teitter [SCREENSHOTS] by TwitterThief: 6:45pm On Dec 10, 2020
P. S. If anyone knows how to track phone numbers, here's the scammers number - +234 902 490 4486

Re: Beware Of The Latest Fraud On Teitter [SCREENSHOTS] by Joshjnr(m): 7:20pm On Dec 10, 2020
Hmmm.
Fraud everywhere.
One needs to be careful.
Re: Beware Of The Latest Fraud On Teitter [SCREENSHOTS] by oteneaaron(m): 7:28pm On Dec 10, 2020
You were played really good @OP

Sorry for your loss.

Sometimes, these things happen even to the best of us.

You will get back what you lost a hundred fold.

1 Like

Re: Beware Of The Latest Fraud On Teitter [SCREENSHOTS] by TwitterThief: 7:36pm On Dec 10, 2020
oteneaaron:
You were played really good @OP

Sorry for your loss.

Sometimes, these things happen even to the best of us.

You will get back what you lost a hundred fold.

The guy was pretty smooth...

And I thought I was too smart to be a victim. Ego checked.

Anyway, thanks.
Re: Beware Of The Latest Fraud On Teitter [SCREENSHOTS] by Alabihaskillus: 8:24pm On Dec 10, 2020
Which one con be reflection department again grin

6 Likes

Re: Beware Of The Latest Fraud On Teitter [SCREENSHOTS] by americaninja1: 9:01pm On Dec 10, 2020
Even zenith bank staff go fall for this scam. But I cant , have learned to guard my otp with my life
Re: Beware Of The Latest Fraud On Teitter [SCREENSHOTS] by wfjimmytobby(m): 11:49pm On Dec 10, 2020
una be mumu oh real one chai..
Re: Beware Of The Latest Fraud On Teitter [SCREENSHOTS] by Fistop: 4:16am On Dec 11, 2020
This one loud ooo
Re: Beware Of The Latest Fraud On Teitter [SCREENSHOTS] by austine4real(m): 6:13am On Dec 11, 2020
Sorry about ur loss

But u are a mini man

grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Beware Of The Latest Fraud On Teitter [SCREENSHOTS] by Dliquidmetal(m): 7:36am On Dec 11, 2020
Once I saw "reflection department" I already know it's a scam,who go scam me go try gan sha cause theyve tried but it will be hard for them to triumph
Re: Beware Of The Latest Fraud On Teitter [SCREENSHOTS] by Orjioorji(f): 5:58pm On Dec 11, 2020
God help me escape some scammers yesterday. With the knowledge I gathered from nairaland.

(1) (Reply)

Yahoo Yahoo Arrested In Kenya Transporting 347 Million Naira To Dubai / Fueling Stations With Tweaked/bad Pumps / WATCH VIDEO: Unknown Nigerian Gun Men Shooting Live Bullet On Express High Way

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.