Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,474 members, 7,819,725 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 09:47 PM

The Nonsense Called Divorce Settlement - Family (12) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / The Nonsense Called Divorce Settlement (20600 Views)

Wife Awarded The Sum Of N92 BILLION For Divorce Settlement / Ex-wife Pays Divorce Settlement In Coins, Rice And Beans / Divorce Settlement And Child-Support Be Introduced In Nigeria? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Nonsense Called Divorce Settlement by dayokanu(m): 6:44pm On Apr 07, 2011
chaircover:

Dayo Yes you are right people can and sometimes do change with time, I have seen warring couples at each others throats and it amazes me how love so swiftly turned into so much hatred.

Ok. Since you have seen this by yourself. Would you have in your wildest moments ever have imagined they would be where they are today?. Thats the reality of life. And you need to plan for it

Still . . . marriage is stressful enough on its own without me having to worry about if the man I am married to is only with me because of my money or vice versa and having to call my lawyer to update the prenup each time I make another million or he comes home late

Do you need to update a prenup? Its actually easy than what you are saying, It doesnt involve complex calculus like you are implying, moreover thats the job of the Lawyer. If you put effort into making money, I am sure you shouldnt mind putting a little efoort into safeguarding it.

Many of our lives & reasoning is shaped by personal experience and these are my personal opinions which dont necessarily have to agree with anyone elses

Most things we know and that shapes our opinions need not happen to us personally, You dont need to be ran over by a car for you to know you have to sprint when on the roads

I personally dont see marriage as a business deal/contract or whatever. Marriage involves emotion; and in my book business and emotion do not go well together.

But when things go burst, The emotions of being hurt would be used against you and makes one irrational atimes.

I have nothing to hide but for me personally I wont be signing any prenup regardless on which side of the table I am sitting. Left to me I'd rather marry from my class; its less stressful that way & If we do end up making millions together then fair enough

Still the uncertainty that comes with it.

A hardworking guy of today might just start tomorrow playing baba Ijebu and hope to make millions somehow, WHile you are slaving away, He is contented with his wife bringing in the money while he whispers his sweet nothing and share it.

basically he becomes a full time bum while you slave away. And when you attempt to walk away and divorce his a55, he taps your shoulder and ask for his 50% of the money you worked for while he was sitting at home playing PS3 and waiting to win his own baba Ijebu money.

I know a friends elder sister who married a guy like that and were doing well for a while, the guy lost his job in 2001 and since then he has been living on dreams of travelling to canada while his wife a Chartered accountant slaves away.
Re: The Nonsense Called Divorce Settlement by Nobody: 6:51pm On Apr 07, 2011
Re: The Nonsense Called Divorce Settlement by jaybee3(m): 6:55pm On Apr 07, 2011
Na wa oh
Are we still on this ish?
O ga ju
Re: The Nonsense Called Divorce Settlement by dayokanu(m): 6:59pm On Apr 07, 2011
I
chaircover:

Dayo thanks for the "surgery" done on my post, but all that may as well apply to the billions of other people in the world.

As for me, I wont be signing a prenup with anyone on either side of the table . . . . .My personal decision; my choice.

Who dey follow you talk, After you don born a whole football team? Its too late for you abeg.

I am referring to people wey never take the dive. Look before you leap
Re: The Nonsense Called Divorce Settlement by Nobody: 7:11pm On Apr 07, 2011
Re: The Nonsense Called Divorce Settlement by ferhyntorlah(f): 3:07am On Apr 08, 2011
Settlement or whatever is fatuous IMO.
Women should be industrous and not rely on men. It's so hapless that women in Occidental world that advantage of this negatively.

Even Eva Longoria dey ask for settlement from ex hubby, Tony Parker. For what? Isnt she rich to take care of herself? Na wa. Too much freedom can lead to some else.
Re: The Nonsense Called Divorce Settlement by SALady(f): 8:16am On Apr 08, 2011
chaircover:

As for me personally, I wouldn't marry anyone waving a prenup in front of me. I don't care if he is richer than Bill Gates.

Call me emotional (not a crime actually to be in touch with ones emotions) but that is a debate for another day but to me Prenups leave a bad taste in my mouth and I interpret it as someone loving his money more than he loves me.

And yes if the shoe was on the other foot and I was mega rich and felt that I couldn't trust my partner not to want to take me to the cleaners, then I wouldn't marry him full stop.

IMO Prenups are for people who are not sure of the other persons intentions. . . . . so maybe they shouldn't really be getting married to this person anyway.

How can you be even thinking about who gets what even before the ring goes on the finger? Marriage is not a business contract.

I hate to say this but to save a lot of wahala, why not just marry someone in the same class as you or better still just marry your millions? cool grin

GBAM! you renting space in ma head.
Re: The Nonsense Called Divorce Settlement by Nobody: 8:25am On Apr 08, 2011
ferhyntorlah:

Women should be industrous and not rely on men. It's so hapless that women in Occidental world that advantage of this negatively.

Even Eva Longoria dey ask for settlement from ex hubby, Tony Parker. For what? Isnt she rich to take care of herself? Na wa. Too much freedom can lead to some else.

*sighs in relief*
The reasonable, unparasitic members of this species may be few, but thank God they do exist. There may be hope after all.

P.S. You couldn't have used a better word than "fatuous" to describe divorce settlement. Perfect word.
Re: The Nonsense Called Divorce Settlement by filani(m): 10:48pm On Apr 08, 2011
ferhyntorlah:

Even Eva Longoria dey ask for settlement from ex hubby, Tony Parker. For what? Isn't she rich to take care of herself? Na wa. Too much freedom can lead to some else.

It's ironic, i was going to mention this particular example but ferhyntorlah beat me to it. Can you just imagine this Eva girl ? this woman has more than enough of her own money but when her marriage went bad rather than just calling it quits and walking away with her head held high what does she do? she goes after the money! Spousal support my @$$ !!! then to top it off she goes on twitter to say  "It is with great sadness that after 7 years together, Tony and I have decided to divorce. We love each other deeply and[b] pray for each other’s happiness[/b]."  shocked shocked shocked

Yeah right  angry angry angry if Eva is praying for tony's ''happiness'' then Barrack Obama is my uncle  grin LOL
Re: The Nonsense Called Divorce Settlement by aca77: 12:07am On Apr 09, 2011
@ Ferhyntorian, Pro1 and Filani,

the 2 main reasons why most women here have been supporting the nonsense called divorce settlement is that either the wife gave up "her best years" to serve as the man's housewife, or she did the great job and serious wahala of taking care of "the man's" children. Now, just wondering, did Eva Longoria and Parker have children together? Or, did Eva Longoria give up her acting career and her "best years" to be Parker's full time housewife? Just in case the answer to these 2 questions is no, that means something must be wrong somewhere. I wouldn't waste my time arguing this anymore. I can only thank god that nigeria law system doesnt encourage such nonsense.
Re: The Nonsense Called Divorce Settlement by Sagamite(m): 1:00am On Apr 09, 2011
aca77:

@ Ferhyntorian, Pro1 and Filani,

the 2 main reasons why most women here have been supporting the nonsense called divorce settlement is that either the wife gave up "her best years" to serve as the man's housewife, or she did the great job and serious wahala of taking care of "the man's" children. Now,  just wondering, did Eva Longoria and Parker have children together? Or, did Eva Longoria give up her acting career and her "best years" to be Parker's full time housewife? Just in case the answer to these 2 questions is no, that means something must be wrong somewhere. I wouldn't waste my time arguing this anymore. I can only thank god that nigeria law system doesnt encourage such nonsense.

That is why I told them it is all logic vs illogical.

Under the system I proposed, she would instantly get nada. Zilt!

The law is so stuuuupid, I created a better one with limited effort. But some women will still refuse to see logic. Evidence to any guy that a prenup is a must if you have money or potential. When shyt hits the fan, don't expect a rational and logical person.
Re: The Nonsense Called Divorce Settlement by Nobody: 7:29am On Apr 09, 2011
Re: The Nonsense Called Divorce Settlement by dayokanu(m): 8:33am On Apr 09, 2011
chaircover:

Arggggggg  angry

BTW prenups are not fool proof and I have read instances where very good lawyers have managed to throw the prenup out  of the window when it comes to fight to finish in divorce settlements

Even though pre-nup can be dented its still better to have one, Its like saying some ppl who go to college dont end up doing good, SO its better not to get a college degree or Some insurance company still find ways to avoid paying for claims so its better not to have insurance

Saga,  Men can be as vindictive & emotional and petty as women too. I once saw a man dragging the ownership of plastic bowls with his wife when they split up. Yes those plastic bowls you put left over food in and store in the fridge/freezer  shocked

The topic is irected to all leeches both male and female who seek to profit from divorce settlements.

The fool proof method on how to keep your millions from external sticky fingers is not to get married, don't have kids, don't have sex or you may be accused and sued for violation, don't employ staff and be a recluse at home just in case someone sues you on the street for stepping on their foot  wink grin

The world is easier. Get married with a cast iron pre-nup,

Have kids as many as you can take care of, Most men dont have issues with spending genuinely on their kids, I dunno about women though cos with the money grabbing women of nowadays you never can tell.

Have sex when the other partner is sober in your house, It might be reasonable to plant hidden cameras in case she wants to claim violation so the recordings would show she was the one who tore her thongs in the bid to get me inside her quickly,

Employ staffs with well stated contracts an definition of roles and responsibilities.

Seriously though, bottom line is that both men and women should look very well before they leap. Once you have signed the dotted line, anything can happen.

Yes anything can happen, people can change thats why its wise to safeguard yourself from ppl who change, vindictive ppl and born parasites who seek to reap where they never sowed
Re: The Nonsense Called Divorce Settlement by Sagamite(m): 11:16am On Apr 09, 2011
chaircover:

Arggggggg  angry

The Law wasnt made with the Evas and the Parkers in mind. It just so happened that like with most laws, there are a few that it will "unfairly" favour. "unfairly" in quote because unless we know the nitty gritty details of what transpired between these couples we can never know for certain what happened and reading a paragraph in a tabloid here and there is not the whole story.

Sweetie, that is simply no excuse!

If there are ways to make it fair, why should it remain unfair? For what reason?

NO EXCUSE!

Let me say it again in a different way:

Why should it remain unfair, when you can easily make it fair? For what reason?

AGAIN, NO EXCUSE!

We know what premise the nitty gritty is judged on, so we can tell it is unfair. Premises like:

- Lifestyle she is used to.
- Pillow talk is of high value.
- She raised "his" kids (that would soon be awarded to her).
- And other reetarded premises.

The premise is reetarded and unfair, so the nitty gritty that is being accepted in courts, based on that premise, is as reetarded and unfair as the premise.

Otherwise why will a women (Miller case) that cannot make £5m by her own ability, take that after 3 years of marriage to a man without even having kids for him? Because of REETARDED PREMISE!!!

Otherwise why will a woman that makes $10m per year (Eva Longoria) still be able to go to court to ask for spousal support? Because of REETARDED PREMISE!!!

chaircover:

The Law was put in place for  . . . I give up !!!! (how many times have I said this) 

The law was put in place reetardedly does not make it right.

chaircover:

BTW prenups are not fool proof and I have read instances where very good lawyers have managed to throw the prenup out  of the window when it comes to fight to finish in divorce settlements

There are ways to make it almost fool proof. You just have to act carefully and smartly.

Knowledge is power.

chaircover:

Saga,  Men can be as vindictive & emotional and petty as women too. I once saw a man dragging the ownership of plastic bowls with his wife when they split up. Yes those plastic bowls you put left over food in and store in the fridge/freezer  shocked

The average man is not half as much vindictive, emotional and petty as the average women. Women see it even as a faultless approach and a gender right.

chaircover:

The fool proof method on how to keep your millions from external sticky fingers is not to get married, don't have kids, don't have sex or you may be accused and sued for violation, don't employ staff and be a recluse at home just in case someone sues you on the street for stepping on their foot  wink grin

Seriously though, bottom line is that both men and women should look very well before they leap. Once you have signed the dotted line, anything can happen.

I guess you are saying we should give this advice to women in Africa that get kicked out with nothing as well. We do not need to change the laws. The laws were put in place for . . . . . . (you know?).

"The fool proof method is not to get married, don't have kids, don't have sex or, if you do, charge for sex to make sure of your financial security, make the man make some down payment to even date you, get plastic surgery to remain attractive and use black magic so he never finds any other woman attractive.

Seriously though, bottom line is that both men and women should look very well before they leap. Once you have signed the dotted line, anything can happen."

Wonderful logic, init?

Or should it be different when woman are the ones being shanked?

Come on, be honest. Should it be different?

[Sighs]

Logic and women = water and oil. Majority usually only think of themselves. Me, me, me!!! [Shakes head]
Re: The Nonsense Called Divorce Settlement by Nobody: 11:54am On Apr 09, 2011
Re: The Nonsense Called Divorce Settlement by Nobody: 12:41pm On Apr 09, 2011
^^yes ke. . . . .  Dayo and saga will end up kissing their wives feet. Infact if the woman even suggests pre-nup(untop dayo n saga money) they will fling the papers aside.

Na today. Acting all macho for mouth, its your type that a woman go turn to jellyfish, people will begin to ask if na jazzz.

Why should I sign a prenup? May thunder blend that man nyash to crayfish like texture wey go tok about prenup. Thank goodness it's too late sef. It is either you be a good boy and share ya money with me in marriage or you end up losing 80% of it all to me. Don't blame me please. Blame adam for being a mugu in the garden of eden. If eve could cause adam even call am the honey,sweerie, daaalinnnnng, sugar wey enter him head as him no know  chop apple wey him no know if she colour am with her period discharge and e work, then I can always stroke baba kadry's gorimapa( bald) head to sign the check.

Una wan object? I say again una wan object, raise ya hand if you wan object and counter attack. Nanssseeennnseeee.

Let me go stroke baba kadrys bald head for 200 dollar loan
Re: The Nonsense Called Divorce Settlement by Nobody: 12:52pm On Apr 09, 2011
@ topic

Do you know how much it hurts to discover that your marriage has crashed? Only a demonic shopping can heal a broken heart! lipsrsealed
Re: The Nonsense Called Divorce Settlement by Nobody: 12:57pm On Apr 09, 2011
^^^hahahahahahahahahahaha it takes prada,gucci,louis vuitton channel ,toyota, mazda, mitsubuishi, ford, a trip to the carribeans, europe, canada, Us, china, aussie, e.t.c to heal a broken heart jare my sister.
Re: The Nonsense Called Divorce Settlement by Nobody: 1:00pm On Apr 09, 2011
Heartless men! Imagine! They get the doe and the mistress while the woman is supposed "to maintain her dignity".

Mscheeeeeeeeew!
Re: The Nonsense Called Divorce Settlement by Nobody: 2:52pm On Apr 09, 2011
The fool proof method on how to keep your millions from external sticky fingers is not to get married, don't have kids, don't have sex or you may be accused and sued for violation, don't employ staff and be a recluse at home just in case someone sues you on the street for stepping on their foot

true talk.

i wonder why all the paranoia about money anyway.

nobody carries their money along with them to the great beyond.

why spend so much time obsessing over what hasnt even happened [namely finding someone to marry].
Re: The Nonsense Called Divorce Settlement by Sagamite(m): 12:19am On Apr 10, 2011
tpiah!:

true talk.

i wonder why all the paranoia about money anyway.

nobody carries their money along with them to the great beyond.

why spend so much time obsessing over what hasnt even happened [namely finding someone to marry].

You can give me your money if you don't want it.

Ever heard the aphorism: "A stitch in time saves nine"

chaircover:

Divorce is not very nice and it brings out the worst in people and even of you don't end up parting with a dime, both parties will still feel the emotional damage.

Hence why one needs a prenup and it makes sense, especially for the protection of the party most likely to be damaged most (emotionally and financially) by the stewpid extant laws.

chaircover:

The funny thing is that you cant do without us lovely women & The ones who moan the most about women are the ones who end up being the honey this honey that ones. Abeg Give us a break o!    wink

Saga Sunshine did you just call me Sweetie? Hope dayo hasnt been giving you e-lessons on how to  . . . .  shocked (I rest my case)  cool grin

jennykadry:

^^yes ke. . . . .  Dayo and saga will end up kissing their wives feet. Infact if the woman even suggests pre-nup(untop dayo n saga money) they will fling the papers aside.

Na today. Acting all macho for mouth, its your type that a woman go turn to jellyfish, people will begin to ask if na jazzz.

Yeah, I aint gonna front. I can be sweet and all that. I aint ashamed.

I love seeing a smile on someone I care about and will be happy to make them happy.

But if some girl thinks because of my being nice I am some maga and want to start testing or taking the piss, I warn:

[flash=200,200]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HegC-Y6SpQM[/flash]

I remember the time my cousin first played the track for me. At the end, I was like "rewind". And again after hearing it the second time another request for rewind. I sighed and nodded at the end, every girl must hear that shyt. I can be good but not necessarily must be good.

Especially girls that are young and are not yet mature. Drama-hunters!

You want drama? I will give you "Days of our lives".

I give as good as I get in all respects. cool

michelin89:

@ topic

Do you know how much it hurts to discover that your marriage has crashed? Only a demonic shopping can heal a broken heart!  lipsrsealed
jennykadry:

^^^hahahahahahahahahahaha it takes prada,gucci,louis vuitton channel ,toyota, mazda, mitsubuishi, ford, a trip to the carribeans, europe, canada, Us, china, aussie, e.t.c to heal a broken heart jare my sister.

ROFLMAO!

At least you gals are straight forward and are blunt why you want the laws. Keeping it real. I likey! grin

But unfortunately laws should not be there to help women get revenge.

Furthermore, not laws that will still penalise a man after his wife cheats on him. Will the courts award a rich man whose heart is broken by his cheating wife her money? No. She would still get his money anyway.

And, yes, women also cheat too.

A lot! They are just more discrete.

That said, you girls are saying you did not break some guys heart when you were younger? When you were in your late teens and early 20s and you were feeling like Sisi because of all the goods. undecided

All the guys you gave dirty looks just because they tried their luck. All the guys you gave you number and did not pick up the phonecall. All the guys you gave hope and all of a sudden changed your mind without explanation. All the guys you led on even though you don't like but you just used to boost your ego without rewarding them with any honey. All the boyfriends you left by finding fights from thin air once you found a guy you liked more.

Now you want courts to punish men you finished off when they are doing their own. tongue Yeah right! grin
Re: The Nonsense Called Divorce Settlement by Nekai(f): 1:54am On Apr 10, 2011
Sagamite:

The average man is not half as much vindictive, emotional and petty as the average women. Women see it even as a faultless approach and a gender right.

grin grin grin grin grin
Re: The Nonsense Called Divorce Settlement by Nobody: 8:06am On Apr 10, 2011
Re: The Nonsense Called Divorce Settlement by dayokanu(m): 8:56am On Apr 10, 2011
Re: The Nonsense Called Divorce Settlement by Nekai(f): 10:21am On Apr 10, 2011
Re: The Nonsense Called Divorce Settlement by Nobody: 10:52am On Apr 10, 2011
Lol CC, The dude almost made me sign a "Do not touch my wallet" contract recently when he came back from work and wanted to have a shower grin Oh well I thought I was the only one with shoes,clothes and bags that have never been worn embarassed one guy once complained here that his wife had 150 shoes and for my mind I was like lipsrsealed embarassed . If MR CC does not provide that car we will bill him for a very expensive range rover angry angry But honestly CC you get big eyes oooo grin I saw the X5 last week at the grocery store and really had a good look like at for my mind I was like e be like say CC wan wreck this MR CC oooo grin grin. He knows my usual line when he asks me why I keep buying things . . . . . . . ." I am buying to make myself look good for you" cool

No be only prenup, mschewwww
Re: The Nonsense Called Divorce Settlement by Nobody: 7:44pm On Apr 10, 2011
why not just marry someone in the same class as you

end of.

if you get chills and nightmares about someone touching your money, then just marry a woman who already has her own.

una prenup group no dey tire for all this talking ni?
Re: The Nonsense Called Divorce Settlement by Sagamite(m): 8:11pm On Apr 10, 2011
tpiah!:

end of.

if you get chills and nightmares about someone touching your money, then just marry a woman who already has her own.

una prenup group no dey tire for all this talking ni?

Really?

Because of a mooronic law, people should not marry based on who they have feelings for but should be based on wealth comparison?

Wow, what a way forward for the strong family unit.

Amazing.
Re: The Nonsense Called Divorce Settlement by Nobody: 8:49pm On Apr 10, 2011
^^dont have feelings for anyone not making as much money as you.
Re: The Nonsense Called Divorce Settlement by aca77: 10:50pm On Apr 10, 2011

Why not just marry someone in the same class as you

So Eva Longoria and Tony Parker are not in the same "class"? So Mark Zuckerberg should marry Oprah Winfrey just to have peace of mind that one blood sucking thing would not dupe him off the fortune his brain and hard work earned him? You women have to show that you have some sense in your skulls. Make the gender equality crusade real by demonstrating you can actually reason. Otherwise the moderators could as well lock this darn thread. Lets call it a day.
Re: The Nonsense Called Divorce Settlement by Sagamite(m): 10:54pm On Apr 10, 2011
aca77:

So Eva Longoria and Tony Parker are not in the same "class"? So Mark Zuckerberg should marry Oprah Winfrey just to have peace of mind that one blood sucking thing would not dupe him off the fortune his brain and hard work earned him?

Don't waste your time debating with such logic.
Re: The Nonsense Called Divorce Settlement by Nekai(f): 12:46am On Apr 11, 2011
It's interesting that some men on here are spending more effort trying to protect their potential wealth than their potential marriage. Tiger's wife would have preferred a peaceful home to the millions. In every case discussed here, including the most recent Eva/Tony split, infidelity was the case of the divorce.

Why all this talk about the injustice of the divorce settlement without denouncing the infidelity that caused the divorce in the first place?

If a new law was passed stating that anyone who knowingly violates a child under 10 years old, has to surrender 95% of his entire wealth to the child and the child's parents, as well as spend the rest of his life in jail, would we be here talking about the injustice of the despoiler settlement? Would I hear men talking about the fact that the medical bills couldn't possibly have added up to this amount? No, because that would be absurd.

(I'm not making a comparison between violation and adultary, but between the responses to the laws that exist in the two senarios. Understandably child violation is a serious offense and I wouldn't expect anyone here to be sympathetic to the attacker. The only people who would argue against the justice of the law would be someone that could relate to the offender.)

The divorce settlement isn't an adultary settlement, true, but for those who don't believe that the woman couldn't have possibly contributed enough to recieve half the wealth that was earned during the marriage, you are basically stating that the law ends up compensating women for the fact that her husband was adulterous. Under that premise, why the opposition? All because "Men have to fight their biology and demonstrate discipline to not go how nature pushes them."? These men should have never got married if they needed a multitude of women.

Many times adultary is sought because of problems in the home. A real man/woman wouldn't use that as an excuse to defile themselves. If the problems are that bad then walk away, and if the problems aren't bad enough to exit the marriage, the unhappy spouse should make every effort to salvage it (and not be like Tiger and have affairs with waitresses, strippers, and indecency stars). Bottom line, when voluntarily taking on the role of head of the household, and husband, men should be strong enough to fight these primitive biological impulses. If Tiger had done this, we wouldn't be here talking about his voluntary divorce settlement amount that was 50 million dollars more than their prenup stipulated. If Tiger's wife is wrong, it would be for selling her silence for 50 million dollars.

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (Reply)

How Would You Express Your Displeasure To Your Wife?? / I Tried To Correct Her, What I Got Were Three Slaps, Husband Tells Court / Is It Legal for me To Marry My Cousin?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 129
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.