Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,016 members, 7,818,004 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 03:29 AM

Medicine In Nigeria Or Biotechnology In Russia - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Medicine In Nigeria Or Biotechnology In Russia (2315 Views)

Msc Public Health Or Biotechnology I Need Suggestions / Meet Aarinola Olaiya Who Broke 28-Year-Old Record In Medicine In OAU / I Scored 283 in JAMB, Can I Get Medicine In Abia State University? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Medicine In Nigeria Or Biotechnology In Russia by Obc1234(m): 10:12am On Dec 11, 2020
I wrote jamb this year and my score was 310 hoping to gain admission in University of Nigeria nsukka
I the middle of the year I applied for Russia scholarship unfortunately medicine and surgery was not excluded I then applied for biotechnology engineering which they offered me
Should I go for the scholarship or wait and write my post utme?
Re: Medicine In Nigeria Or Biotechnology In Russia by Jashub: 10:15am On Dec 11, 2020
Obc1234:
I wrote jamb this year and my score was 310 hoping to gain admission in University of Nigeria nsukka
I the middle of the year I applied for Russia scholarship unfortunately medicine and surgery was not excluded I then applied for biotechnology engineering which they offered me
Baba go abroad jare. What do you need a nigerian medical degree for? Are they not considered useless outside the shores of Nigeria? Please go abroad and get exposure jare. Who knows, you may choose to later switch to medicine over there

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Medicine In Nigeria Or Biotechnology In Russia by GogetterMD(m): 10:23am On Dec 11, 2020
Jashub:
Baba go abroad jare. What do you need a nigerian medical degree for? Are they not considered useless outside the shores of Nigeria? Please go abroad and get exposure jare. Who knows, you may choose to later switch to medicine over there
You can't just "switch over" to medicine in Russia.
@OP, the choice is yours to make. While medicine still remains a top choice for course applications (you can always still travel abroad after writing qualification exams for IMG post-medical school), you still have 6-7 years to study medicine (+/- strikes).
Biotechnology is a very nice course to study as well. How grounded the course is in Russia, and possibility of you getting a job in Russia afterwards (Russians are not very kind in foreigners working in fields of pure science), I am not so sure of. But going by the rule of "a bird in hand is worth more than 2 in the Bush", it might be worth a shot

5 Likes

Re: Medicine In Nigeria Or Biotechnology In Russia by Jashub: 10:29am On Dec 11, 2020
GogetterMD:

You can't just "switch over" to medicine in Russia.
@OP, the choice is yours to make. While medicine still remains a top choice for course applications (you can always still travel abroad after writing qualification exams for IMG post-medical school), you still have 6-7 years to study medicine (+/- strikes).
Biotechnology is a very nice course to study as well. How grounded the course is in Russia, and possibility of you getting a job in Russia afterwards (Russians are not very kind in foreigners working in fields of pure science), I am not so sure of. But going by the rule of "a bird in hand is worth more than 2 in the Bush", it might be worth a shot
I schooled in Russia oga. The only issues he will experience there is racism with groups called Skinheads . And that is everywhere. But the most important point I will like to stress on here is the exposure. Medicine in Nigeria has nothing to offer anyone. All those who support it are living in the past glories of the profession, not the financial backing of the profession

6 Likes

Re: Medicine In Nigeria Or Biotechnology In Russia by tienry(m): 10:39am On Dec 11, 2020
I heard that medical education in Ukraine is no worse (and sometimes even better) than in Russia. Why not consider this option? In addition, there are fewer problems with racism in Ukraine
Re: Medicine In Nigeria Or Biotechnology In Russia by perfectsusanoo(m): 10:44am On Dec 11, 2020
would u want to spend 10 to 11 years for a 7 yrs course due to strike?. This is like choosing b/w fried rice and gala. But hey some pple choose weirdly though.

3 Likes

Re: Medicine In Nigeria Or Biotechnology In Russia by Jashub: 10:55am On Dec 11, 2020
perfectsusanoo:
would u want to spend 10 to 11 years for a 7 yrs course due to strike?.
This is like choosing b/w fried rice and gala.
But hey some pple choose weirdly though.
Another nice point
Re: Medicine In Nigeria Or Biotechnology In Russia by GogetterMD(m): 11:12am On Dec 11, 2020
Jashub:
I schooled in Russia oga. The only issues he will experience there is racism with groups called Skinheads . And that is everywhere. But the most important point I will like to stress on here is the exposure. Medicine in Nigeria has nothing to offer anyone. All those who support it are living in the past glories of the profession, not the financial backing of the profession
I don't doubt that you schooled in Russia. My point is that it is going to be difficult for him to switch to medicine from his biotechnology course. He's going to need to reapply or complete that course first, before applying to study for medicine.
And no, you're wrong. Medicine in Nigeria has everything to offer. All the successful Nigerian medical practitioners abroad had their primary medical degree/qualification in Nigeria. You always have the option of switching allegiance to another country by writing the necessary exams after your medical training in Nigeria

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Medicine In Nigeria Or Biotechnology In Russia by GogetterMD(m): 11:12am On Dec 11, 2020
tienry:
I heard that medical education in Ukraine is no worse (and sometimes even better) than in Russia. Why not consider this option? In addition, there are fewer problems with racism in Ukraine
Ukraine and Russia na the same WhatsApp group. Racism is as rife as you'd have in Russia, only that there's a larger Nigerian community in Ukraine

2 Likes

Re: Medicine In Nigeria Or Biotechnology In Russia by Jashub: 11:40am On Dec 11, 2020
GogetterMD:

I don't doubt that you schooled in Russia. My point is that it is going to be difficult for him to switch to medicine from his biotechnology course. He's going to need to reapply or complete that course first, before applying to study for medicine.
And no, you're wrong. Medicine in Nigeria has everything to offer. All the successful Nigerian medical practitioners abroad had their primary medical degree/qualification in Nigeria. You always have the option of switching allegiance to another country by writing the necessary exams after your medical training in Nigeria
Who is telling you that? Of course you can switch professions. I even have a classmate who studied chemical engineering (which has a branch under biotech engineering) and later chose to switch to medicine after we had graduated.

Then secondly, the delusion you have of medicine in Nigeria being grand is pure hogwash. As it stands now, Nigeria has a failed medical system ;so what can a failed medical system offer you as an aspiring doctor? Or do you forget there are no equipments, no incentives and most our resident doctors here keep looking for greener pastures elsewhere? And what about the strikes the Nigerian Medical Association(NMA) keeps singing on a yearly basis ? Are their strikes not on unpaid allowances? Let me leave that as a rhetorical question.

Then, have you even considered the ASSU strikes involved? ASSU is not just destroying destinies, but also destroying the future of Nigerians. Now will you want your son or daughter studying in Nigeria under these circumstances?

2 Likes

Re: Medicine In Nigeria Or Biotechnology In Russia by GogetterMD(m): 12:10pm On Dec 11, 2020
Jashub:
Who is telling you that? Of course you can switch professions. I even have a classmate who studied chemical engineering (which has a branch under biotech engineering) and later chose to switch to medicine after we had graduated.

Then secondly, the delusion you have of medicine in Nigeria begin grand is hogwash. As it stands now, Nigeria has a failed medical system ;so what can a failed medical system offer you as an aspiring doctor? Or do you forget there are no equipments, no incentives and most our resident doctors here keep looking for greener pastures elsewhere? And what about the strikes by Nigerian Medical Association(NMA) keeps singing on yearly? Are their strikes not on unpaid allowances? Let me leave that as a rhetorical question.

Then, have you even considered the ASSU strikes involved? ASSU is not just destroying destinies, but also destroying the future of Nigerians. Now will you want your son or daughter studying in Nigeria under these circumstances?
You're just affirming what I said earlier.
And to address the other part of your assertions, I talk not from a point of privilege, but I also happened to have studied medicine in this same Nigeria. You studied here doesn't mean you have to practice here, which I stated in my first post. However, studying here gives you a fairly good medical education (excluding the strikes), and you can always write you at a very affordable cost qualifications as an international medical graduate in US, UK, Canada, Australia

2 Likes

Re: Medicine In Nigeria Or Biotechnology In Russia by Jashub: 12:14pm On Dec 11, 2020
GogetterMD:

You're just affirming what I said earlier.
And to address the other part of your assertions, I talk not from a point of privilege, but I also happened to have studied medicine in this same Nigeria. You studied here doesn't mean you have to practice here, which I stated in my first post. However, studying here gives you a fairly good medical education (excluding the strikes), and you can always write you at a very affordable cost qualifications as an international medical graduate in US, UK, Canada, Australia
Studying here is hogwash. How?

You have an outdated curriculum.

Outdated facilities.

The lack of exposure here will also hinder you elsewhere. So why not get a good foundation by going out there and studying out there.
Re: Medicine In Nigeria Or Biotechnology In Russia by GogetterMD(m): 12:45pm On Dec 11, 2020
Jashub:

Outdated facilities.

The lack of exposure here will also hinder you elsewhere. So why not get a good foundation by going out there and studying out there.
Again, I don't get where this "hogwash" assertion is coming from grin
But anyways, you're entitled to your opinion sha
(coming from someone who has trained both at home and abroad)

3 Likes

Re: Medicine In Nigeria Or Biotechnology In Russia by Nobody: 1:24pm On Dec 11, 2020
Obc1234:
Bro I do I go about this Russia scholarship?
Re: Medicine In Nigeria Or Biotechnology In Russia by Floriann: 3:00pm On Dec 11, 2020
Obc1234:

Done. Thanks ✔️
Re: Medicine In Nigeria Or Biotechnology In Russia by CSTRR: 3:47pm On Dec 11, 2020
I would choose medicine in Nigeria over biotechnology in Russia.

Your first degree is very important.

Most Of the successful Nigerian doctors in Europa and America did their first degree in Nigeria.

4 Likes

Re: Medicine In Nigeria Or Biotechnology In Russia by Hannania(m): 5:06pm On Dec 11, 2020
Obc1234:
Please spell out the scholarship you applied to, i'll love to get set for next applications.

For your question, leave for Russia, your mobility in europe with a high paying degree in Biotech engineering will do you good.
Re: Medicine In Nigeria Or Biotechnology In Russia by Nobody: 5:54pm On Dec 11, 2020
Obc1234:

BIOTECH ENGINEERING NA BAD ASS OOOO
Y U COME DEY CONFUSED BROTHER

U GO STUDY AM WHR U GO KNOW AM IN AND OUT AND STILL GET CERTIFICATE WAY U FIT FLASH FOR LONDON OR USA

GUY OR U ONE STUDY MEDICINE FOR NAIJA WHERE U NO GO SABI SHIT

NO THROW AWAY SUGAR WAY GOD PUT FOR UR MOUTH OOOO

1 Like

Re: Medicine In Nigeria Or Biotechnology In Russia by Smartgeek(m): 6:54pm On Dec 11, 2020
Which kind question be this? Seriously? You have an opportunity to study abroad and you're concerned about the course? Hehehehe... You funny...

As for me, even if na nursing, or na crowd control I go study abroad, I go comot for this rubbish state called Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: Medicine In Nigeria Or Biotechnology In Russia by Karleb(m): 7:31pm On Dec 11, 2020
I'd take biro and pencil in Russia over anything in Nigeria.
Re: Medicine In Nigeria Or Biotechnology In Russia by jesmond3945: 8:33pm On Dec 11, 2020
Jashub:
what is your experience with skin heads
Re: Medicine In Nigeria Or Biotechnology In Russia by Jashub: 8:51pm On Dec 11, 2020
jesmond3945:
what is your experience with skin heads
They do not like blacks in general. And they are quite violent

1 Like

Re: Medicine In Nigeria Or Biotechnology In Russia by jedisco(m): 8:55pm On Dec 11, 2020
@op...

You sound like a young bright chap.

Question is if you study in Russia, what are your job prospects there? Also, how transferable is their degree to other developed nations? Can you use the degree to get sn Engineering job in UK, US, Canada, Australia or Germany? If you'd still need to run a masters program in your second country of choice, then medicine may be a preferable option.

I know alot of people who had their first degree in Russia/Ukraine and countries in that axis who are back to Nigeria trying to relocate. I'd hazard a guess that job prospects for immigrants who had their first degree there are not so good.

Now to medicine locally.
Fact is studying medicine in Nigeria may open doors for you world over that some vague courses in some parts of Europe would not. If you're smart about it, you could easily take qualification exams and go work in UK, US other first world countries or even Middle Eastern countries which all pay very well.
Like it or not, in terms of job prospects and migration, medicine is still one of the best courses to study in Nigeria.

6 Likes

Re: Medicine In Nigeria Or Biotechnology In Russia by Emmaxy9(m): 8:55pm On Dec 11, 2020
@op, both options are very good but it depends on what you truly want.

If you go for Medicine in Nigeria, you stand a great chance of reaching your dreams(becoming a doctor), and you can also go to Russia or any other country to practice provided you know the pathway and prepare adequately.
What more? If money is issue, you can apply for numerous scholarships in Nigeria, they’re many of them that give about 150-250k each year. Examples, Agbami, chevron, NlNg, total, spdc, shell, Jim ovia, and the likes. If you play your dices well, you can accumulate like 3 scholarships and live a comfortable life In the uni.

Downsides*_ However, there’s a problem here. You’ve not yet gotten admission into medicine in Unn. I know how stuffs go on there, and I can say that medicine is very competitive bro. In my own time, the merit cut off mark was 327! Last year was 323! However, this doesn’t mean that you can’t get in with lower scores, provided you’re from the catchment states. But in a nutshell, unn can make you wait another year at home, no jokes, that’s if you don’t pass post-utme very well with high scores.

Now to the other side, when you get in to Russia, you aren’t going to study your course of choice, hence getting back to your desired path will be a longer journey. But the gains are that, you get to stay off the shores of Nigeria(what everyone dreams of), and enjoy quality education

1 Like

Re: Medicine In Nigeria Or Biotechnology In Russia by juniorstar(m): 9:09pm On Dec 11, 2020
assuming u have gained the admission already in unn I would av advised you to follow the unn pathway but since you haven't focus on both for now if the unn click forget Russia graduate and write ielts/oet and plab or uslme. I av friends who studied medicine in russia/ Ukraine and came back wrote uslme and still did DAT mdcan rotation for foreign graduates b4 writing dia exams. our system looked rigorous to them and the pay for them wasn't worth it cos while dey were abroad their monthly stipends was way above the monthly salary of a Nig HO and they drove nice cars DAT some SRs dont av.
Re: Medicine In Nigeria Or Biotechnology In Russia by Emmaxy9(m): 9:23pm On Dec 11, 2020
Jashub:

Outdated facilities.

You literally don’t know what you’re saying. Where’s the lack of exposure? Do you know a Nigerian Medic can train himself to standard levels?even better than others in top tier countries?
If it was curriculum, I’d say medicine in Nigeria is one of the courses that cannot be affected by outdated curriculum. Why? They don’t depend on lecturers. Right from year two, medics would have gotten standard textbooks used globally like grays anatomy, Hutton physiology, and all. Then they’ll read the textbooks and also reading materials.
You said lack of foundation? How do you mean? Is it the same Nigerian Medics that ace Plab, and usmle and go over to uK or Us to practice? Don’t think about that. The only thing limiting Nigerians in education is themselves and not necessarily the system.

7 Likes

Re: Medicine In Nigeria Or Biotechnology In Russia by Jashub: 9:29pm On Dec 11, 2020
[s]
Emmaxy9:

You literally don’t know what you’re saying. Where’s the lack of exposure? Do you know a Nigerian Medic can train himself to standard levels?even better than others in top tier countries?
If it was curriculum, I’d say medicine in Nigeria is one of the courses that cannot be affected by outdated curriculum. Why? They don’t depend on lecturers. Right from year two, medics would have gotten standard textbooks used globally like grays anatomy, Hutton physiology, and all. Then they’ll read the textbooks and also reading materials.
You said lack of foundation? How do you mean? Is it the same Nigerian Medics that ace Plab, and usmle and go over to uK or Us to practice? Don’t think about that. The only thing limiting Nigerians in education is themselves and not necessarily the system.
[/s] Please go out there, and when you come back, talk to me.
Re: Medicine In Nigeria Or Biotechnology In Russia by Emmaxy9(m): 10:15pm On Dec 11, 2020
Jashub:
[s][/s] Please go out there, and when you come back, talk to me.
You can state your points and argue intelligently without canceling others.

3 Likes

Re: Medicine In Nigeria Or Biotechnology In Russia by Howitzer: 11:10pm On Dec 11, 2020
Obc1234:

Bro, hafa, what are you saying?

Meanwhile, the answer lies in what you really want.
So, what do you want?

Re: Medicine In Nigeria Or Biotechnology In Russia by dreamchaser90(m): 11:14pm On Dec 11, 2020
I would advise you to study medicine in Nigeria. I did my undergraduate in Russia under the BEA scholarship before moving to another European country for my postgraduate studies. If you have a good shot at studying medicine in Nigeria and if it's your first choice, I think you should take it. Two major reasons are:

1. Language barrier: As a scholarship student, the language of instruction is Russian and studying in Russian language is not so easy. Yes, you have about a year to learn the language and it's possible to become pretty good at it, but you miss a lot before you get up to speed.

2. Opportunities: I believe that studying medicine in Nigeria offers you similar or even more opportunities when compared to studying biotechnology in Russia. Because at end of your studies, jobs opportunities for foreigners in Russia are close to nil so you'll need to either come back home or move to another country.

While some of the advantages of studying in Russia is thst the education is standard, you're sure of graduating in exactly the stated number of years, you get exposure; your mindset and thinking changes, etc. And of course, it's scholarship, so it's free.

2 Likes

Re: Medicine In Nigeria Or Biotechnology In Russia by dreamchaser90(m): 11:19pm On Dec 11, 2020
pstmikol1:

Bro I do I go about this Russia scholarship?

Check BEA scholarship under Federal Scholarship Board. It's completely merit based but you need at least 5 As or Bs in one sitting in WAEC or NECO.
Re: Medicine In Nigeria Or Biotechnology In Russia by tobechi20(m): 11:26pm On Dec 11, 2020
You never get the medicine admission self.

Go Russia

(1) (2) (Reply)

First Class/Distinction Tools For Sale / Uniben Post Direct Entry / Who Can solve This Maths?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.