Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,302 members, 7,850,075 topics. Date: Tuesday, 04 June 2024 at 01:55 PM

If You Become Nigera's President Today, What Is The First Thing You'll Do? - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / If You Become Nigera's President Today, What Is The First Thing You'll Do? (1591 Views)

No Programme Of Event Has Been Scheduled For Osinbajo As Acting President- Today / Buhari Meets With Obanikoro, Issoufou, Niger President Today In Abuja [photos[ / Osun Poll Today, What Is Happening In Your Area? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply)

Re: If You Become Nigera's President Today, What Is The First Thing You'll Do? by kodewrita(m): 7:02am On Mar 26, 2011
buzugee:

1, privatize all schools (except universities). this way i can concentrate on rebuilding and upgrading all the universities to world class standard. also privatize public transportation, privatize farming (anyone who gets into these business will pay zero tax).

2, disband the army, the immigration, customs, all foreign embassies, the court system

3, hire SUPER-COPS. with an annual salary of $100,000 each. these supercops will double up as crime deterrents, they will double up as custom agents, they will double up as agents in all the ports collecting import duties, they will double up as immigration agents (they will have a sector where nigerian passports and visas are issued), they will be in charge of issuing titles for property sold and also all other legal documents. they will be heavily computerized and have up to date cars painted green white green with sirens. each city will have 300 cops. this will be the backbone of my govt. the supercops.

4, found an arm of the govt called the 'street crew'. they get paid $50,000 each. they are in charge of making sure every street in the country is tarred. their number will be by the side of their truck. if you see a pothole ? call this number. there will be 50 in every city. they will also double up as street cleaners on friday.

5, the water dept, will make sure every home in the country has free drinking water.

6, energy dept, will ensure through proliferation of all kinds of energy (headed by the best engineeers in nigeria ) from solar to wind to water, that every nigerian gets free electricity.

7, a watchdog agency,  to connect all the agencys mentioned above. the watchdog agency has direct access to the supercops. if any of the above dept is slacking, you call the watchdog agency to report if a road has not been tarred after 1 day of being reported. the watchdog agency will contact the police and the police will let the 'street crew' have it. someone is losing their $50,000 job for that mishap.

8, the other backbone of the govt, the IRS. this is how we will get our revenue to provide free water, electricity, beautiful universities, pay the supercops, the university staff including the 10 landscapers per university, the street crew. the irs will be headed by the best and brightest MBAs. they will ensure that every company operating in nigeria is registered in their computer. every business pays 40 percent flat tax. PAYE tax will be eradicated. we get all our money off the top from the companys. so we get our money from taxing, oil, the supercops (money from the ports via import duties, passport fees, visa fees, issuing deeds and titles and legal documents )

9, post office will be semi-privatized. i will contract a business man to run the post offices on behalf of the govt. all profit is his.

and there we have it. small govt, good unis, good roads, water, electricity, effective taxation, good policing and the citizens get to fill in the gap via privatization

love your idea but it could easily get derailed and opposed. Legislators would claim you are creating a private army. besides how do you pick them? but I like the idea of having supercops. for now lets make it a ministry (The Ministry of the Interior).

Privatising the Post: Wish there was a button for points so I could award you +10000000000. Trust me this is only a matter of time. We just have to kick out those people.

the street crew idea may not really work. its the job of the interior ministry too (  grin see how I am defending the idea.)

Pray tell me why you want to disband the courts      (so we cant unseat the Great Leader abi. we wont agree on that sir)

I would also privatise water too. its like electricity and if we are privatising that, why not water too. they are both utilities. No one's complaining because everything else is crap but once things start to improve, this will be an issue.

For number one, i will not make it completely no-tax. i would rather have a ramp-up phase of 8 years (I dont have to be there 8 years for this to happen) when there will be a tax-holiday after which they will be inducted (dragged is more like it) into the now functional tax system.
Re: If You Become Nigera's President Today, What Is The First Thing You'll Do? by kodewrita(m): 7:05am On Mar 26, 2011
Idea: we could turn this into a wiki and refine it as we go along. people coming in to refine the ideas that they see there or add theirs. well lets see how this turns out.
Re: If You Become Nigera's President Today, What Is The First Thing You'll Do? by buzugee(m): 8:19am On Mar 26, 2011
kodewrita:

love your idea but it could easily get derailed and opposed. Legislators would claim you are creating a private army. besides how do you pick them? but I like the idea of having supercops. for now lets make it a ministry (The Ministry of the Interior).

Privatising the Post: Wish there was a button for points so I could award you +10000000000. Trust me this is only a matter of time. We just have to kick out those people.

the street crew idea may not really work. its the job of the interior ministry too (  grin see how I am defending the idea.)

Pray tell me why you want to disband the courts      (so we cant unseat the Great Leader abi. we wont agree on that sir)

I would also privatise water too. its like electricity and if we are privatising that, why not water too. they are both utilities. No one's complaining because everything else is crap but once things start to improve, this will be an issue.

For number one, i will not make it completely no-tax. i would rather have a ramp-up phase of 8 years (I dont have to be there 8 years for this to happen) when there will be a tax-holiday after which they will be inducted (dragged is more like it) into the now functional tax system.
bruv how many relevant laws are enacted or even obeyed in nigeria ? none. time to get rid of that old colonial burdensome system. the police division will be extra equipped to handle all kinds of dispute and to handle all document issuance. these men and women will be culled from the best of the best. they will be highly educated, pass an intelligence test and will be fully trained in the police academy and will undergo assessment annually. the chief of police will be like my shadow because i will need to be kept abreast of every development. this will be the backbone to the govt. this and the IRS. $100,000 is a lot of money and they will earn it or lose it.

as per my ideas getting opposed ? i am running a  dictatorship with an expiry date not a democracy. democracy cant and would not work in nigeria.

the street crew will be directly under me. the chief of the crew (a new political post) will report to me every friday and keep me abreast of developments. i am full hands on. nobody is getting anything past me. no room for slackers. earn your decent tax free salary or get fired.

the reason i am stream lining the govt is so that i can focus on the issues that affect nigerians personally and hence i will not privatize water and electricity. those two and the street crew and the daily upkeep of the universities and the supercops and the IRS will be my personal projects. i will not delegate much. if you want something done well, you have to do it yourself

as per the tax, its easier to levy a flat tax and take it off the top from the companys. we dont want the mess they have in america. complex tax system that makes no sense. paye tax will be abolished. the irs will be staffed with the greatest business minds (MBAs) and the greatest database administration minds (they have to tweak and functionalize the database that contains all the millions of companys that exist in nigeria ).

When i am done with my term nigeria will have the best universities in the world
the best roads
all homes will have electricity
all homes will have water
a decent police force that you can be proud of
fair and effective taxation
transparency
small govt

(1) (2) (Reply)

Goodluck-sambo Bag Of Rice: Pdp Will Not Kill Me / Asaba N40b Airport Test-flights Scam: How Uduaghan Is Fooling Deltans With An Un / Visafone Acquires Multilinks Telkom

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.