Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,199 members, 7,829,288 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 12:13 AM

If You Become Nigera's President Today, What Is The First Thing You'll Do? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / If You Become Nigera's President Today, What Is The First Thing You'll Do? (1585 Views)

No Programme Of Event Has Been Scheduled For Osinbajo As Acting President- Today / Buhari Meets With Obanikoro, Issoufou, Niger President Today In Abuja [photos[ / Osun Poll Today, What Is Happening In Your Area? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

If You Become Nigera's President Today, What Is The First Thing You'll Do? by ultrazone2(m): 12:29am On Mar 25, 2011
nm
Re: If You Become Nigera's President Today, What Is The First Thing You'll Do? by pleep(m): 3:27am On Mar 25, 2011
First thing i would do is declare all conterfiet clothing illigal. Sieze and burn all the fake chinese clothing ( the guccis, polo, and lacoste) then make it illigal to import clothing to nigeria. I would simultaniously foster the creation of a clothing manufacturing company (subsidised to be equal or less than the price of imports) to replace the burned clothing and create jobs. That action alone could drasically cut unemployment in nigeria.
Re: If You Become Nigera's President Today, What Is The First Thing You'll Do? by 9ijaMan: 5:11am On Mar 25, 2011
I'll round up all the PDP looters and summarily send them all behind bars for good. Life in prison with extremely hard labour. Doing so will enable me to weed out all retrogressive elements, and I will subsequently be able to start working with the progressives to bring back our lost glory.
Re: If You Become Nigera's President Today, What Is The First Thing You'll Do? by vincent10(m): 7:22am On Mar 25, 2011
Kill all corupt politicians then kill myself because i will be corupt later.
Re: If You Become Nigera's President Today, What Is The First Thing You'll Do? by vincent10(m): 7:26am On Mar 25, 2011
Re: If You Become Nigera's President Today, What Is The First Thing You'll Do? by 10cirenoh: 7:32am On Mar 25, 2011
Cut the salaries of all public holders by half

change police uniform to knicker without pockets, armless shirt without pockets
Re: If You Become Nigera's President Today, What Is The First Thing You'll Do? by kodewrita(m): 7:35am On Mar 25, 2011
Tackle the last tier of government(The local governments) or wipe it out. The first three months of my administration would be to either reform the structure of this particularly corrupt area of nigerian government (unlike the top tiers where there is still pretence, the local governments simply share money. It is straight looting) or move for a constitutional amendment for a totally different kind of structure.

One less corrupt layer of government would do a whole lot of good.

Thats only the first thing I will do.
Re: If You Become Nigera's President Today, What Is The First Thing You'll Do? by zeeleso(f): 8:44am On Mar 25, 2011
10cirenoh:

LWKMDFHIS grin grin
Re: If You Become Nigera's President Today, What Is The First Thing You'll Do? by Knight1(m): 10:00am On Mar 25, 2011
WITHDRAW HALF OF OUR FOREIGN RESERVES AND BUILD GIGANTIC PRISONS ( LIKE 30000 capacity) AND HIRE SNIPERS IN THE DESERTS OF THE NORTH ie kebbi, maiduguri etc
THEN INVIGORATE JUDICIARY AND START ROUNDING UP ALL THESE ROGUES
Re: If You Become Nigera's President Today, What Is The First Thing You'll Do? by Nobody: 10:14am On Mar 25, 2011
I would ensure that Nigeria has constant electricity supply and after this is done, i would take a vacation.

10cirenoh:

grin grin grin grin grin grin LaFF dON mAKE Me sH.IT FOr bODY
Re: If You Become Nigera's President Today, What Is The First Thing You'll Do? by Nobody: 10:14am On Mar 25, 2011
fstranger3:

first thing is to withdraw some money from our foreign reserve into my swiss account.
Ole
pleep:

First thing i would do is declare all conterfiet clothing illigal. Sieze and burn all the fake chinese clothing ( the guccis, polo, and lacoste) then make it illigal to import clothing to nigeria. I would simultaniously foster the creation of a clothing manufacturing company (subsidised to be equal or less than the price of imports) to replace the burned clothing and create jobs. That action alone could drasically cut unemployment in nigeria.
Fashion designer well done

vincent_09:

lol grin grin grin
10cirenoh:

pmsl grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

As for me I'll audit nigeria from 1990 to date meanwhile seizing the passports of all past political office holders and top civil servants. Whoever is found wanting will be arrested and sued. No preferential treatment.

Open all of nigeria's ports, build a rail line linking most of nigeria. Order for refineries to be installed within 12 months and stop selling crude but finished products. Stop gas flaring. They're plenty sha
Re: If You Become Nigera's President Today, What Is The First Thing You'll Do? by PupetMasta(m): 10:28am On Mar 25, 2011
Facilitate the passing of the FOI bill into law, implement the UWAIS report and shrink the size of the government
Re: If You Become Nigera's President Today, What Is The First Thing You'll Do? by Nobody: 10:33am On Mar 25, 2011
PupetMasta:

Facilitate the passing of the FOI bill into law, implement the UWAIS report and shrink the size of the government
very correct, the government is too effing large
Re: If You Become Nigera's President Today, What Is The First Thing You'll Do? by kodewrita(m): 10:37am On Mar 25, 2011
PupetMasta:

blink182:

very correct, the government is too effing large

Guess you people will be heading straight into a clash with the NLC. war from day one.
Re: If You Become Nigera's President Today, What Is The First Thing You'll Do? by Nobody: 10:45am On Mar 25, 2011
kodewrita:

Guess you people will be heading straight into a clash with the NLC. war from day one.
Please expound
Re: If You Become Nigera's President Today, What Is The First Thing You'll Do? by honeric01(m): 10:47am On Mar 25, 2011
After conviction, all corrupt politicians be made to sweep the streets of their various local government every 6 hours daily, then return them to their various prison houses.

Deal with corrupt media houses

Introduce community policing and state police

Remove state of origin from anything Nigeria

Allow each states manage their resources while using the federal government as a watchdog.
Re: If You Become Nigera's President Today, What Is The First Thing You'll Do? by MaiSuya(m): 10:50am On Mar 25, 2011
My priority will be to deal with that issue of corruption, and to do that I will:

Sack the CJN, the AJF, the EFCC chair; reinstate the ICPC chairman; slash the NASS budget by at least half; order immediate audit of funds used for Independence day; order immediate audit of NNPC( ranked as one the most corrupt institution in Nigeria)and NEPA; probe money spent on TAM of refineries over the years (alleged to be over $700million) yet they're still in the same sorry state; re-open the Siemens scandal, police equipment fund, independent power project, . . .billions and billions and billions of Nigeria's money. . .

KAI! Nigeria don suffer sha. . .  cry
Re: If You Become Nigera's President Today, What Is The First Thing You'll Do? by blacksta(m): 11:00am On Mar 25, 2011
Jail this and that tongue - u r all wasting your time - Corruption is in veins of every single Nigerian

Solution: Denote a nuclear bomb 100 times the size of the one dropped in Hiroshima - At that point we can start afresh . I will pre populate Nigeria with fresh blood from my veins / mixing it a bit with oyinbo blood - I want see plenty yellow paw paw for the New Nigeria. rather than black goats.
Re: If You Become Nigera's President Today, What Is The First Thing You'll Do? by Pharoh: 2:22pm On Mar 25, 2011
blacksta:

Jail this and that tongue - u r all wasting your time - Corruption is in veins of every single Nigerian

Solution: Denote a nuclear bomb 100 times the size of the one dropped in Hiroshima .

This is one of the most reliable option, it is either the country divides or they wipe the country and its population even those living abroad.

People are shouting corruption like they don't know that it is embedded in over 90% of the Nigerian population. Fighting corruption in Nigeria is not by jailing high profile thieves but a very comprehensive solution that goes down even to the smallest action in Nigeria.
Re: If You Become Nigera's President Today, What Is The First Thing You'll Do? by honeric01(m): 2:35pm On Mar 25, 2011
^^^

So you're saying we should let it continue? we should those who have allowed this to become common should be left in the helm of affairs?
Re: If You Become Nigera's President Today, What Is The First Thing You'll Do? by Pharoh: 2:52pm On Mar 25, 2011
^^

Fashola is doing wonders in Lagos please tell me how many people he jailed to to start doing that?. I am not implying that those big thieves should be left but fighting corruption goes beyond that. Our corruption problems is so diverse that buhari and ribadu jailing some high profile thieves does not qualify them to fight the enormous corruption facing us.

There has been corruption going on in the banks but how many did ribadu solve?, there is still corruption going on now and jailing cecila ibru and co does not sole that. Corruption is every, jamb, schools, waec, business transactions, monopolies in doing business. Jailing high profile thieves only does not cut it for me but the whole sick nation has to be fixed. We have corruption at the airports, seaports just name anything and we have to fight those but sorry ribadu and buhari does not comprehensively cut it for me not even 10% but that is not saying i do not recognize their past effort.

We need long lasting solutions to fighting corruption and not jailing people in one government and they will spring up in the next government. Please trust me, i don't believe in parties so blaming pdp in your response to me does not add to your points. You can see that i said a fashola can fight corruption and not ACN as a party, fixing Nigeria takes a group of committed people and not political parties.

You want to know my verdict?, a fashola of lagos state will fight corruption better than ribadu. It is by brain, sophisticated policies, checks and balance and not boasting to jail high profile thieves. Look at fashola's accountability and making sure that there is no hole to steal ( not perfect with tinubu around ). You create waterproof systems that people will find it hard to steal and not a system that they can steal and you will start chasing the 1% that you know.
Re: If You Become Nigera's President Today, What Is The First Thing You'll Do? by efisher(m): 3:19pm On Mar 25, 2011
Pray to God for direction, wisdom and strength. Next, sack Ringim!
Re: If You Become Nigera's President Today, What Is The First Thing You'll Do? by kodewrita(m): 5:15pm On Mar 25, 2011
blink182:

Please expound

doing what you suggest requires that you sack workers and they will simply call on labour to oppose you. thats why the militant incompetents in NEPA,NITEL and NIPOST are still fighting.
Re: If You Become Nigera's President Today, What Is The First Thing You'll Do? by baslone: 5:28pm On Mar 25, 2011
10cirenoh:

grin grin grin grin grin
Re: If You Become Nigera's President Today, What Is The First Thing You'll Do? by efisher(m): 6:07pm On Mar 25, 2011
Pharoh:

You want to know my verdict?, a fashola of lagos state will fight corruption better than ribadu. It is by brain, sophisticated policies, checks and balance and not boasting to jail high profile thieves. Look at fashola's accountability and making sure that there is no hole to steal ( not perfect with tinubu around ). You create waterproof systems that people will find it hard to steal and not a system that they can steal and you will start chasing the 1% that you know.

My good friend, For this statement I award you a doctorate degree in Human Behaviour. I agree with this theory 100%. In addition I think there is one thing performers know how to do. It is to perform! Put them anywhere, they will perform. Nice one
Re: If You Become Nigera's President Today, What Is The First Thing You'll Do? by gernded(m): 11:34pm On Mar 25, 2011
i will tackle power failure after that i will kill all the politicians and run away .
Re: If You Become Nigera's President Today, What Is The First Thing You'll Do? by Sunofgod(m): 11:44pm On Mar 25, 2011
Throw a party - then take a holiday to recover from the party - grin
Re: If You Become Nigera's President Today, What Is The First Thing You'll Do? by MaiSuya(m): 11:53pm On Mar 25, 2011
As commentators have long concluded, corruption thrives in Nigeria because it is such reasonably risk-free venture, guaranteeing such astounding returns (over 10,000% ROI,) .

So d best way to with is to deal it is to start high profile thieves which everyone will see and take heed.
Re: If You Become Nigera's President Today, What Is The First Thing You'll Do? by buzugee(m): 12:09am On Mar 26, 2011
1, privatize all schools (except universities). this way i can concentrate on rebuilding and upgrading all the universities to world class standard. also privatize public transportation, privatize farming (anyone who gets into these business will pay zero tax).

2, disband the army, the immigration, customs, all foreign embassies, the court system

3, hire SUPER-COPS. with an annual salary of $100,000 each. these supercops will double up as crime deterrents, they will double up as custom agents, they will double up as agents in all the ports collecting import duties, they will double up as immigration agents (they will have a sector where nigerian passports and visas are issued), they will be in charge of issuing titles for property sold and also all other legal documents. they will be heavily computerized and have up to date cars painted green white green with sirens. each city will have 300 cops. this will be the backbone of my govt. the supercops.

4, found an arm of the govt called the 'street crew'. they get paid $50,000 each. they are in charge of making sure every street in the country is tarred. their number will be by the side of their truck. if you see a pothole ? call this number. there will be 50 in every city. they will also double up as street cleaners on friday.

5, the water dept, will make sure every home in the country has free drinking water.

6, energy dept, will ensure through proliferation of all kinds of energy (headed by the best engineeers in nigeria ) from solar to wind to water, that every nigerian gets free electricity.

7, a watchdog agency,  to connect all the agencys mentioned above. the watchdog agency has direct access to the supercops. if any of the above dept is slacking, you call the watchdog agency to report if a road has not been tarred after 1 day of being reported. the watchdog agency will contact the police and the police will let the 'street crew' have it. someone is losing their $50,000 job for that mishap.

8, the other backbone of the govt, the IRS. this is how we will get our revenue to provide free water, electricity, beautiful universities, pay the supercops, the university staff including the 10 landscapers per university, the street crew. the irs will be headed by the best and brightest MBAs. they will ensure that every company operating in nigeria is registered in their computer. every business pays 40 percent flat tax. PAYE tax will be eradicated. we get all our money off the top from the companys. so we get our money from taxing, oil, the supercops (money from the ports via import duties, passport fees, visa fees, issuing deeds and titles and legal documents )

9, post office will be semi-privatized. i will contract a business man to run the post offices on behalf of the govt. all profit is his.

and there we have it. small govt, good unis, good roads, water, electricity, effective taxation, good policing and the citizens get to fill in the gap via privatization
Re: If You Become Nigera's President Today, What Is The First Thing You'll Do? by Sunofgod(m): 12:12am On Mar 26, 2011
blacksta:

Jail this and that   tongue - u r all wasting your time   -  Corruption is in veins of every single Nigerian

Solution:   Denote a nuclear bomb  100 times the size of the one dropped in Hiroshima  - At that point we can start afresh .  I will pre populate Nigeria with fresh blood from  my veins /  mixing it a bit with oyinbo blood  - I want see plenty yellow paw paw for  the New Nigeria.  rather than black goats.

Where will you obtain the nuclear bomb of any size?
You and who will start afresh? Who would remain and survive the radioactive fallout?
Pre-populate? Or Re-populate - in either case are you suggesting you mix your blood with your blood - like in Inbreeding?
Which kind of oyibo would agree to mix their blood with you? And why would you want a mixed race (race-less) society?
Nigerians are black goats? I would rather be a black goat with pure blood than a 'mongel' like yourself.

Pprick
Re: If You Become Nigera's President Today, What Is The First Thing You'll Do? by Beaf: 12:34am On Mar 26, 2011
Sadly, corruption is not Nigeria's problem, but the lack of strong institutions and organisation is.
Make no mistake about it, corruption is evil; however, if corruption was a major hindrance to development, the Italy (and its mafia) would not be developed and in the G8. Also, the likes of Mexico (where several towns do not have police officers for fear of their lives) is in the last stages of becoming a developed country; even more shocking is the fact that with their abnormally high levels of crime and corruption, the capital city (Mexico City) makes more money than the whole of Nigeria combined (states, LG's, Abuja, oil etc).

With the above in mind, the first thing I would do would be to line up every living coup plotter at bar beach for execution. The army messed up Nigeria big time, they are our sole reason for lacking any institutions and being 100% dependent on oil (cos its the easiest thing to steal).
After I am done with the coup plotters, I will set abou restructuring Nigeria along the lines of true federalism. Oil money from the ND will be given out as soft loans to every region to develop alternate streams of income with bias to technology; making sure that each LG becomes self sufficient and profit making. Then the LG's will pay taxes to the states, which will in turn pay taxes to Abuja. This measure will currect Nigeria's abnormal revenue sharing policy that turns common sense on its head and leads us to be perpetually undeveloped and clueless.

By decentralising power and source of funds, the attraction for office in Abuja because of the opportunity to steal vast sums will be greatly decreased, in fact the opportunity to steal vast sums would become next to non-existent. This will lead to more responsible and qualified people vying for office at all levels, thus reducing corruption to the barest minimum.
A side product of decentralising finance sources, will be accountability, because govt would move closer to the people; rather than the way it is currently, were for example, if you want to deal with matters to do with your local fire service, you have to write to Abuja. With decentralised services, everything is at your doorstep and all the officials, local to you. This will also reduce corruption.

Another ugly beast that will be slain with decentalisation from Abuja, is ethnic bigotry, the ally of corrupt politics. There will be no more do-or-die headlong dashes for Abuja's goodies by ethnically driven hordes, thugs and "political parties." Each ethnicity will have to go back to their region to be near govt and business opportunities.
To further dilute or kill ethnic bigotry in Nigeria, I will restructure the senate and ensure that there is ONLY one senator for for each ethnic group (no matter how small or big). That way, there will need to be cross-ethnical cooperation to get things done; 200 of Nigeria's 300 ethnic groups will need to agree before any bill can be passed.

I could go on and on about how our structure is the problem, not corruption, but lets dicuss the above first. grin

(1) (2) (Reply)

Goodluck-sambo Bag Of Rice: Pdp Will Not Kill Me / Bb Still Scored Zero In My Ward,was Acn All The Way! / Please Anyone Has A Quote Of Pastor Tunde Bakare On Boko Haram?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.