Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,017 members, 7,818,012 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 04:11 AM

Is Silence Necessarily Tantamount To Wisdom? - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / Is Silence Necessarily Tantamount To Wisdom? (353 Views)

Silent Treatment Abuse: (is Silence A Form Of Emotional Abuse). / How To Break The (silent Treatment):is Silence Okay In A Relationship? / This Silence From The Other End Is Killing Me! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is Silence Necessarily Tantamount To Wisdom? by daewoorazer(m): 8:22pm On Dec 12, 2020
Culture, beyond doubt is one of the heritage hurdled down from one generation to the other, it defines a people, their way of life and ofcourse being. Culture as rampant amongst Nigerians is the popular belief that [s]keeping quiet in the face of offense is wisdom.[/s]

Is that true?

If not, what’s true? Is it the opposite?

Now let’s be fair, everyone has right to their opinion, you may either oppose or agree. In my opinion, I’d say it falls in the grey area. Their is no clear-cut/polar answers to it; it’s indeed a matter of context!

How should I bring up my kids if silence isn’t a virtue:

Silence is not a virtue, being an asshole capable of niceness is. Yes I know you’re about to tear me apart in your mind. Let’s say as an example, you have a car, you’d wanna buy an extinguisher in it “just in case”. It might turn out that you may never need to use the extinguisher till the car completely breaks down never to be used again!
You raise a child to be eloquent, to be capable of aggression if need be (even the law says kill an assassin/killer before he kills you); same way you’d raise a child to be of good morals and character. The dealbreaker is Let a child know never to approach any situation with aggression, but incase of an offensive situation, must be able to defend him/herself verbally and psychologically without putting himself in trouble.

Today, a lot of grown nice men are ordered around like puppets, sent on demeaning errands because all they are capable of is to rubber stamp every request. A lot of young girls submit to sexual abuse by street uncles because their parents never taught them to say “NO”.

Teaching verbal eloquence to kids is dangerous:

(In war you don’t go with just a shield, you go with both shield and a weapon).

Yes it is (even a car/plane ride is dangerous, but we ride it anyways). You don’t tell a kid to abuse whoever steps on his or her toes, but you can tell a kid to warn bullies off. My parents told me growing up to leave a bully if he/she comes around (so I don’t get in trouble) they forgot if you let a bully one time, he’ll come over a 100 times harder.

Bullies don’t change when they become adults, they are the rude ones we meet everyday, the cheats. Once your kid is of age, get him/her a personal lawyer. Teach him/her to understand no one is above law suit!
The goal is to build the self esteem of the kid. Always let your kids know that, no one is better than him/her, and he/she is equal to everyone!

Some adults today will stammer and shiver just to warn a rude individual off. Many people reading this article are in this shoe. Some grown adults are relationship slaves because of this. Always remember, a silent and wise individual is always that social footmat!

It doesn’t stop at this, shutting your kids up in the midst of people (elders) messes up with their psyche and ego badly. Are you wondering why you have crowd phobia today, or you can’t even look at a beautiful girl in the face and tell her you like her notwithstanding her response? You have your answers.

The so-called thugs today have the most beautiful girlfriends and are the ones with the juicy political positions even right from school/SUG days. You wonder why, most of them had no one to shut them up when they needed to speak up and that built their self esteem growing up.

A properly brought up uncle will be too scared to tell a lady in a public bus “I like you, give me your number “; Lols, he is too decent to let people hear him speak about such words. He is too worried how other passengers will see him.
The other loud uncle will ask a girl out, he doesn’t care if the driver at the front is listening. The girl will probably marvel at such “balls” and will wanna give the uncle the number so he can leave him alone ASAP.

Any proof to backup these claims?

Nigeria as a country is enough proof. Our politicians get away with a lot of stuffs. Nigerians are very docile and tend to forgo whatever maltreatment is dished to them. “They are elders afterall” is the reason we are buried deep in this mess today.

Where do little kid bullies or rude teenagers disappear to? No they don’t even disappear, they grow to be clowns and masked bullies. The Yoruba culture as an example will tell you
“......A maa n fi agba re omode je ni”
Translation “we use adulthood to cheat children”

How cute that adage is? But for me, I had always been the black sheep in the family. When my elder ones do something bad and my parents tell me that adage, they know things will get messy. Guess what, they beckon on my elders never to go near me!

Conclusion!
Know when to be absolutely quiet, and when to be 100% vocal. It’s a bad thing when people see you as Mr Nice who will never react no matter the kilogram of shît thrown at him/her. Put an assholè in his/her place today. The best way to as a matter of fact deal with an asshole is to be the greater asshole.
Play the quiet card with an asshole and he/she will come back harder next time.

Be eloquent, pump up that self esteem, groom yourself, use deodorants, smile, but most importantly, put an asshole in his/her position today!

You can Add yours or ask your questions!
Re: Is Silence Necessarily Tantamount To Wisdom? by TaminaliaCatapa: 8:31pm On Dec 12, 2020
Wahala for who no sabi talk eein mind kraaaaa
Re: Is Silence Necessarily Tantamount To Wisdom? by segebobo: 9:38pm On Dec 12, 2020
daewoorazer:
Culture, beyond doubt is one of the heritage hurdled down from one generation to the other, it defines a people, their way of life and ofcourse being. Culture as rampant amongst Nigerians is the popular belief that [s]keeping quiet in the face of offense is wisdom.[/s]

Is that true?

If not, what’s true? Is it the opposite?

Now let’s be fair, everyone has right to their opinion, you may either oppose or agree. In my opinion, I’d say it falls in the grey area. Their is no clear-cut/polar answers to it; it’s indeed a matter of context!

How should I bring up my kids if silence isn’t a virtue:

Silence is not a virtue, being an asshole capable of niceness is. Yes I know you’re about to tear me apart in your mind. Let’s say as an example, you have a car, you’d wanna buy an extinguisher in it “just in case”. It might turn out that you may never need to use the extinguisher till the car completely breaks down never to be used again!
You raise a child to be eloquent, to be capable of aggression if need be (even the law says kill an assassin/killer before he kills you); same way you’d raise a child to be of good morals and character. The dealbreaker is Let a child know never to approach any situation with aggression, but incase of an offensive situation, must be able to defend him/herself verbally and psychologically without putting himself in trouble.

Today, a lot of grown nice men are ordered around like puppets, sent on demeaning errands because all they are capable of is to rubber stamp every request. A lot of young girls submit to sexual abuse by street uncles because their parents never taught them to say “NO”.

Teaching verbal eloquence to kids is dangerous:

(In war you don’t go with just a shield, you go with both shield and a weapon).

Yes it is (even a car/plane ride is dangerous, but we ride it anyways). You don’t tell a kid to abuse whoever steps on his or her toes, but you can tell a kid to warn bullies off. My parents told me growing up to leave a bully if he/she comes around (so I don’t get in trouble) they forgot if you let a bully one time, he’ll come over a 100 times harder.

Bullies don’t change when they become adults, they are the rude ones we meet everyday, the cheats. Once your kid is of age, get him/her a personal lawyer. Teach him/her to understand no one is above law suit!
The goal is to build the self esteem of the kid. Always let your kids know that, no one is better than him/her, and he/she is equal to everyone!

Some adults today will stammer and shiver just to warn a rude individual off. Many people reading this article are in this shoe. Some grown adults are relationship slaves because of this. Always remember, a silent and wise individual is always that social footmat!

It doesn’t stop at this, shutting your kids up in the midst of people (elders) messes up with their psyche and ego badly. Are you wondering why you have crowd phobia today, or you can’t even look at a beautiful girl in the face and tell her you like her notwithstanding her response? You have your answers.

The so-called thugs today have the most beautiful girlfriends and are the ones with the juicy political positions even right from school/SUG days. You wonder why, most of them had no one to shut them up when they needed to speak up and that built their self esteem growing up.

A properly brought up uncle will be too scared to tell a lady in a public bus “I like you, give me your number “; Lols, he is too decent to let people hear him speak about such words. He is too worried how other passengers will see him.
The other loud uncle will ask a girl out, he doesn’t care if the driver at the front is listening. The girl will probably marvel at such “balls” and will wanna give the uncle the number so he can leave him alone ASAP.

Any proof to backup these claims?

Nigeria as a country is enough proof. Our politicians get away with a lot of stuffs. Nigerians are very docile and tend to forgo whatever maltreatment is dished to them. “They are elders afterall” is the reason we are buried deep in this mess today.

Where do little kid bullies or rude teenagers disappear to? No they don’t even disappear, they grow to be clowns and masked bullies. The Yoruba culture as an example will tell you
“......A maa n fi agba re omode je ni”
Translation “we use adulthood to cheat children”

How cute that adage is? But for me, I had always been the black sheep in the family. When my elder ones do something bad and my parents tell me that adage, they know things will get messy. Guess what, they beckon on my elders never to go near me!

Conclusion!
Know when to be absolutely quiet, and when to be 100% vocal. It’s a bad thing when people see you as Mr Nice who will never react no matter the kilogram of shît thrown at him/her. Put an assholè in his/her place today. The best way to as a matter of fact deal with an asshole is to be the greater asshole.
Play the quiet card with an asshole and he/she will come back harder next time.

Be eloquent, pump up that self esteem, groom yourself, use deodorants, smile, but most importantly, put an asshole in his/her position today!

You can Add yours or ask your questions!

Silence does not necessarily mean you are filled with wisdom. However Even a fool is counted wise if he keeps silent... Prov 17:28
Re: Is Silence Necessarily Tantamount To Wisdom? by yanabasee(m): 9:44pm On Dec 12, 2020
Wisdom is expressed when there is a pressing issue at a particular moment.....

Yes, keeping mute or quiet tells more about maturity and a high level of self-control and unspeakable wisdom.

But doesn't mean such a person posses it as he/she might not be silence in every other unfolding events.....

1 Like

Re: Is Silence Necessarily Tantamount To Wisdom? by Twelfthman: 10:58am On Dec 13, 2020
Silence is powerful. That is if you know how to use it well Against your enemies.

(1) (Reply)

Amber Rose With Hair / I Have This Wonderful Gift / US Lady Who Dated Dangote Says He Broke Her Heart

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.