Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,841 members, 7,820,929 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 03:39 AM

Eight Things I Learnt While Hunting For A Job - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Eight Things I Learnt While Hunting For A Job (1599 Views)

My Experience While Hunting For Job / Accept This Job Offer Or Continue Job Hunting??? / Some Fun While Job Hunting (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Eight Things I Learnt While Hunting For A Job by Ephort: 8:58pm On Dec 12, 2020
Given the issues of poor work-life balance, low remuneration and profound pressure attendant to my former job, it became obvious that I needed to change the job, hence my second job hunting experience.
Below summarizes my experience while job hunting for a new job.

1. There are so many reasons you may not be invited to an interview. It may be surprising to know that sometimes, interview may take place and the position filled before the deadline for submission of CVs elapses, and as such, many CVs end up receiving no attention. On the other hand, an organization could receive up to 150 CVs for one job role, thereby making it a herculean task for the hirer to review all of them. Sometimes, after going through the first 30 CVs (or less), the talent manager would select about 8 for interview and abandon others. If no one is selected among the interviewed, the hirer would always go back to download more CVs for further review. There is high chance that most of the CVs you have sent in the past received no attention. I know this because I assisted in filling the vacancy my exit created before I left. The lesson here is - as much as you can, always send your CV on time, and if you have more than one channel (hard copy, e-mail & company’s website) explore all so that in one way or the other, your CV would at least receive attention.

2. Don’t ever get tired of sending out your CV. That you have sent out a thousand CVs, or that you have been sending out CVs for years should not discourage you from continuing to apply for jobs you are qualified for. My new job offer came from an application I sent out nonchalantly, having already sent out dozens of other applications for over one year with no invitation.
More so, even when the deadline for application has expired, and you consider yourself qualified, you may still send your CV. Usually, recruiters return to their inbox to spoon out more CVs upon failing to select someone among the interviewed, and when there are no more CVs to consider, they send out another advert. This is why you tend to see repeated job adverts some times. May I add here that I was invited seven months after submitting my CV. The lesson here is, "don’t ever relent or get tired in your job search".

3. Always edit your CV to meet the requirements for the position you are applying for. Note this, there is no comprehensive CV for all job roles relating to your profession/experience. During my first and second stages of the interview for the role I’m offered, the interviewers pointed out that certain key duties/functions pertaining to the position I applied for were missing in my CV. They queried further to know if I have such experience. The second interviewer even suggested that I applied for a wrong job. I had to orally liberate myself by going further to give an insight on them. The functions are those you would ordinarily consider mundane for any other role. It behooves to say that many don’t get invited for jobs they are qualified for, because of this reason. The lesson here is, "tailor your CV to the job requirements".

4. Arrange your CV well. Ensure that your strengths and key skills are conspicuously positioned (key ones should be on top), while you'll list your job experience from the current job. In fact, there are some experience you had that need not make it to the CV. This can only make sense to you if you understand that recruiters/interviewers don’t read CVs, they don’t even peruse them but merely glance through to catch your key functions, skills, experience and certifications. The HR of my erstwhile employer rejected one of the CVs I forwarded to her for consideration because, to her, it was clumsy and not well arranged.
Kindly divert the strength you spend in copying catchy and cliché career objectives to articulating your good skills and experience. Most recruiters don’t usually read your, “team player, loves multitasking, and works under pressure” stuff you write. I know this because (for the second time) I sat at interview panel (including for the job I’m leaving), and no panelist referred to, or mention those clichés.

5. Prepare for interviews (even if the HR is your aunt). Note this, interview is a marketing opportunity. All you are coming to tell the company is why they need you, not why you need the job. No company would want to hire you because you desperately need the job, or because you need them to first employ you to later see how good you are. Many people allude that jobs in Nigeria are based on who you know etc, but good companies by virtue of their system and structure, are unlikely to hire someone based on sentiment or affinity. My former boss, a member of the Management team, brought someone for the role I just left, but the candidate’s performance was obviously not satisfactory to the panel. Always read up about the role you are to fill. This helped me a lot during my interviews. More so, some of the people we interviewed for the position I left showed that they knew the answers but could not just gather their thoughts. You could see the disappointment in their faces. The lesson here is, - always refresh your memory before going for an interview even if you are a veteran in your industry/job.

6. Yes, Master's Degrees and further studies are very good, but they must be value based. Some of the people we interviewed for the role I left paraded flamboyant certifications with little or nothing to offer. The job I got had Master’s Degree and another professional certification as added advantage, but I have none (and I even graduated with 2nd class lower). This is not to downplay further certifications/studies. They are absolutely important. The lesson here is - while you gather certificates, ensure you match them up with value (knowledge and skill). Also, ignore those added advantages and apply if you know the job.

7. Negotiation is an art that proceeds from the standpoint of personal worth. One of the nightmarish aspects of salary negotiation is that you are left to navigate through uncharted waters, or traverse unknown terrains in blindfold since you are less likely to know the company’s salary range. The concern is that you may not know what to say that would amount to overshooting or undershooting, especially if you are from a system that pays terribly low. Most companies would offer you a lower pay (than they earmarked for the position) if your existing salary is way below. My experience during the interview was that I added about N2m to my pay at my previous job to arrive at my expected salary (annual gross). Because I needed to move, I was afraid of overshooting. Unbeknownst to me, the amount is just one step above the entry level. The interviewers did not even negotiate but asked multiple times whether I would wish to change my mind. Upon receiving their offer, it became obvious that I undershot. I had to renegotiate and got one more step added. The lesson here is, always know your worth outside your current pay, and assert same when you have the opportunity.

8. Finally, believe in God’s grace. Both the job I left and the one I’m currently in, are jobs I applied for, casually, online. The one that I was head-hunted for, and the one a recruiter contacted me for through LinkedIn, never materialized. One notable phenomenon was I saw both jobs in dreams before they came. I kinda saw them coming.
I pray that everyone reading this, who is unemployed, underemployed, or desirous of changing his job receives the good news between now and January, 2021 in Jesus Name.

24 Likes 1 Share

Re: Eight Things I Learnt While Hunting For A Job by anthonyuncle(m): 9:28pm On Dec 12, 2020
good points.
but in this country, na person wey sabi person dey get advantage

1 Like

Re: Eight Things I Learnt While Hunting For A Job by Ephort: 9:58pm On Dec 12, 2020
anthonyuncle:
good points.
but in this country, na person wey sabi person dey get advantage
It's a leverage, I agree. Most times, na person go help you get an interview, especially for job weh they no advertise.

2 Likes

Re: Eight Things I Learnt While Hunting For A Job by cassidy1996(m): 7:21am On Dec 13, 2020
no 8.
Re: Eight Things I Learnt While Hunting For A Job by UndauntedYOCA(f): 12:20pm On Dec 13, 2020
This was worth reading. I'd also add that skills should be acquired and online courses taken whether free or not, you never know when you'll need them.
Thank you and amen to your prayer.

1 Like

Re: Eight Things I Learnt While Hunting For A Job by GodWrites: 12:42pm On Dec 13, 2020
Awesome read. The most important thing is confidence, and knowing how to sell yourself.

I once got a job without a CV or connection.

I just walked in, demanded to see the manager, only for the assistant manager to meet me instead.

I sold myself to him, and his response was: when can you start?

It's normal to be scared, but be brave and go for what you deserve.

2 Likes

Re: Eight Things I Learnt While Hunting For A Job by Amotekun777: 1:32pm On Dec 13, 2020
All these points of your are of course valid but, in a place like Nigeria, they're null & void! sad

The most important factor is NEPOTISM! Bros, if you no sabi anyone for 'up there', abeg... forget am! undecided
Re: Eight Things I Learnt While Hunting For A Job by dhope: 1:56pm On Dec 13, 2020
Amotekun777:
All these points of your are of course valid but, in a place like Nigeria, they're null & void! sad

The most important factor is NEPOTISM! Bros, if you no sabi anyone for 'up there', abeg... forget am! undecided
Yes, nepotism is the order of the day especially for government jobs but the truth is that no matter how you love your relative, you can't employ him to manage your construction projects without him having solid experience/skill in building a bungalow before. Even if you do, u already know ure at risk of losing clients due to poor job, hence there's still place for competence especially in private sector.
Re: Eight Things I Learnt While Hunting For A Job by chozzy: 2:40pm On Dec 13, 2020
Excellent ...
Re: Eight Things I Learnt While Hunting For A Job by Lee84: 2:58pm On Dec 13, 2020
I pray that everyone reading this, who is unemployed, underemployed, or desirous of changing his job receives the good news between now and January, 2021 in Jesus Name.
[/quote]

Amen. May God Answer all of us in Jesus name.
Re: Eight Things I Learnt While Hunting For A Job by Ephort: 9:26pm On Dec 13, 2020
Amotekun777:

Lol. I agree with you to the extent that it's very prevalent in Nigeria. For instance, if you go to some FG parastatals, ministries, agencies or establishments, you'll notice the high dominance of one region against others. In private organizations too, people influence employment. However, a greater percentage, especially in the private sector get jobs daily without any connection or referral. It gets easier when you have developed yourself into a resourceful person, such that you have a merchantable value. Don't let the prevalent condition of the country dampen your spirit bro.
Re: Eight Things I Learnt While Hunting For A Job by okooloyun1(m): 9:54pm On Dec 13, 2020
Re: Eight Things I Learnt While Hunting For A Job by Domain12: 3:20am On Dec 14, 2020
So I went for an interview last week. I think the interview was 3 stages handled by different people. I excelled the first stage, the second stage I think was a 50-50 interview.
They wrote what they feel about me in my cv stapled and gave the 3rd interview stage handled by the branch Manager. He read it and said I will get a feedback that evening. Since then nothing. I even sent a message to their number still nothing. Please what do you think happened? And funny enough I know the branch Manager. I think of going to the office to see him.

Ephort:
Given the issues of poor work-life balance, low remuneration and profound pressure attendant to my former job, it became obvious that I needed to change the job, hence my second job hunting experience.
Below summarizes my experience while job hunting for a new job.

1. There are so many reasons you may not be invited to an interview. It may be surprising to know that sometimes, interview may take place and the position filled before the deadline for submission of CVs elapses, and as such, many CVs end up receiving no attention. On the other hand, an organization could receive up to 150 CVs for one job role, thereby making it a herculean task for the hirer to review all of them. Sometimes, after going through the first 30 CVs (or less), the talent manager would select about 8 for interview and abandon others. If no one is selected among the interviewed, the hirer would always go back to download more CVs for further review. There is high chance that most of the CVs you have sent in the past received no attention. I know this because I assisted in filling the vacancy my exit created before I left. The lesson here is - as much as you can, always send your CV on time, and if you have more than one channel (hard copy, e-mail & company’s website) explore all so that in one way or the other, your CV would at least receive attention.

2. Don’t ever get tired of sending out your CV. That you have sent out a thousand CVs, or that you have been sending out CVs for years should not discourage you from continuing to apply for jobs you are qualified for. My new job offer came from an application I sent out nonchalantly, having already sent out dozens of other applications for over one year with no invitation.
More so, even when the deadline for application has expired, and you consider yourself qualified, you may still send your CV. Usually, recruiters return to their inbox to spoon out more CVs upon failing to select someone among the interviewed, and when there are no more CVs to consider, they send out another advert. This is why you tend to see repeated job adverts some times. May I add here that I was invited seven months after submitting my CV. The lesson here is, "don’t ever relent or get tired in your job search".

3. Always edit your CV to meet the requirements for the position you are applying for. Note this, there is no comprehensive CV for all job roles relating to your profession/experience. During my first and second stages of the interview for the role I’m offered, the interviewers pointed out that certain key duties/functions pertaining to the position I applied for were missing in my CV. They queried further to know if I have such experience. The second interviewer even suggested that I applied for a wrong job. I had to orally liberate myself by going further to give an insight on them. The functions are those you would ordinarily consider mundane for any other role. It behooves to say that many don’t get invited for jobs they are qualified for, because of this reason. The lesson here is, "tailor your CV to the job requirements".

4. Arrange your CV well. Ensure that your strengths and key skills are conspicuously positioned (key ones should be on top), while you'll list your job experience from the current job. In fact, there are some experience you had that need not make it to the CV. This can only make sense to you if you understand that recruiters/interviewers don’t read CVs, they don’t even peruse them but merely glance through to catch your key functions, skills, experience and certifications. The HR of my erstwhile employer rejected one of the CVs I forwarded to her for consideration because, to her, it was clumsy and not well arranged.
Kindly divert the strength you spend in copying catchy and cliché career objectives to articulating your good skills and experience. Most recruiters don’t usually read your, “team player, loves multitasking, and works under pressure” stuff you write. I know this because (for the second time) I sat at interview panel (including for the job I’m leaving), and no panelist referred to, or mention those clichés.

5. Prepare for interviews (even if the HR is your aunt). Note this, interview is a marketing opportunity. All you are coming to tell the company is why they need you, not why you need the job. No company would want to hire you because you desperately need the job, or because you need them to first employ you to later see how good you are. Many people allude that jobs in Nigeria are based on who you know etc, but good companies by virtue of their system and structure, are unlikely to hire someone based on sentiment or affinity. My former boss, a member of the Management team, brought someone for the role I just left, but the candidate’s performance was obviously not satisfactory to the panel. Always read up about the role you are to fill. This helped me a lot during my interviews. More so, some of the people we interviewed for the position I left showed that they knew the answers but could not just gather their thoughts. You could see the disappointment in their faces. The lesson here is, - always refresh your memory before going for an interview even if you are a veteran in your industry/job.

6. Yes, Master's Degrees and further studies are very good, but they must be value based. Some of the people we interviewed for the role I left paraded flamboyant certifications with little or nothing to offer. The job I got had Master’s Degree and another professional certification as added advantage, but I have none (and I even graduated with 2nd class lower). This is not to downplay further certifications/studies. They are absolutely important. The lesson here is - while you gather certificates, ensure you match them up with value (knowledge and skill). Also, ignore those added advantages and apply if you know the job.

7. Negotiation is an art that proceeds from the standpoint of personal worth. One of the nightmarish aspects of salary negotiation is that you are left to navigate through uncharted waters, or traverse unknown terrains in blindfold since you are less likely to know the company’s salary range. The concern is that you may not know what to say that would amount to overshooting or undershooting, especially if you are from a system that pays terribly low. Most companies would offer you a lower pay (than they earmarked for the position) if your existing salary is way below. My experience during the interview was that I added about N2m to my pay at my previous job to arrive at my expected salary (annual gross). Because I needed to move, I was afraid of overshooting. Unbeknownst to me, the amount is just one step above the entry level. The interviewers did not even negotiate but asked multiple times whether I would wish to change my mind. Upon receiving their offer, it became obvious that I undershot. I had to renegotiate and got one more step added. The lesson here is, always know your worth outside your current pay, and assert same when you have the opportunity.

8. Finally, believe in God’s grace. Both the job I left and the one I’m currently in, are jobs I applied for, casually, online. The one that I was head-hunted for, and the one a recruiter contacted me for through LinkedIn, never materialized. One notable phenomenon was I saw both jobs in dreams before they came. I kinda saw them coming.
Re: Eight Things I Learnt While Hunting For A Job by Ephort: 7:52am On Dec 14, 2020
Domain12:
So I went for an interview last week. I think the interview was 3 stages handled by different people. I excelled the first stage, the second stage I think was a 50-50 interview.
They wrote what they feel about me in my cv stapled and gave the 3rd interview stage handled by the branch Manager. He read it and said I will get a feedback that evening. Since then nothing. I even sent a message to their number still nothing. Please what do you think happened? And funny enough I know the branch Manager. I think of going to the office to see him.

If you were contacted via phone, call them for for follow-up, or better still, go to their office as you said. In my case, I waited for about one week and called them. Your testimony shall come.
Re: Eight Things I Learnt While Hunting For A Job by anthonyuncle(m): 9:36pm On Dec 14, 2020
Ephort:

It's a leverage, I agree. Most times, na person go help you get an interview, especially for job weh they no advertise.

even to scale through da interview

(1) (Reply)

Caraway Africa Nigeria Limited Interview Invite / Can You Convince Others? We Pay ₦70,000 Monthly (FEMALE ONLY) / Urgent ( A.g Leventis)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.