Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,354 members, 7,815,750 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 05:34 PM

Is It Appropriate To Call My Elder Brother's Wife By Her Name. - Family (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Is It Appropriate To Call My Elder Brother's Wife By Her Name. (4508 Views)

I Have Been Having An Affair With My Elder Brother's Wife – Nigerian Man Reveals / My Elder Brother's Wife Is So Rude. / I Punished My Wife By Sleeping With Her Younger Sister - Nigerian Father Of Two (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is It Appropriate To Call My Elder Brother's Wife By Her Name. by Karleb(m): 4:20pm On Dec 15, 2020
What is going on here?!
Re: Is It Appropriate To Call My Elder Brother's Wife By Her Name. by NoToPile: 4:25pm On Dec 15, 2020
JovialJune:

You always sound like one.

Loool okay, first time I am hearing that though.
Re: Is It Appropriate To Call My Elder Brother's Wife By Her Name. by Mumben(f): 5:03pm On Dec 15, 2020
comfokon:

what is the age difference between you and her, and also your younger brother?

you brothers wife may be coming from a highly exposed background and forcing her on that can cause friction between you two.

I don't think it's a big deal if you both are close in age.
The age difference between me and her is 4 and the age difference between me and my younger brother is 2. Hope I answered ur questions?
Re: Is It Appropriate To Call My Elder Brother's Wife By Her Name. by Aimerosa25(f): 5:46pm On Dec 15, 2020
obeycian:
I have having some thought about this and I would appreciate if you guys could shed more light about it.
My elder brother's wife is way younger than I am, and I HV been calling her by her name. Is it appropriate to do so? Or shud I add a title before name whenever I am addressing her?
call her iyawo or mummy abc or by her name with a little respect.

1 Like

Re: Is It Appropriate To Call My Elder Brother's Wife By Her Name. by thorpido(m): 5:51pm On Dec 15, 2020
JovialJune:

Wait, you are a female? Wow.
I was surprised too.I had always thought the moniker was male.
Re: Is It Appropriate To Call My Elder Brother's Wife By Her Name. by frozen70(f): 7:20pm On Dec 15, 2020
obeycian:
I have having some thought about this and I would appreciate if you guys could shed more light about it.
My elder brother's wife is way younger than I am, and I HV been calling her by her name. Is it appropriate to do so? Or shud I add a title before name whenever I am addressing her?

Even if she is 10yrs younger than your present age, pls address her by either sister or Aunty before mentioning her name

She is already married that's enough respect for her, one day she will birth a child and you call her by her child's name

If you are living with them, do so, the house belongs to her and she knows best how to butt you out or allow you to stay with them

1 Like

Re: Is It Appropriate To Call My Elder Brother's Wife By Her Name. by mariahAngel(f): 7:55pm On Dec 15, 2020
frozen70:

Even if she is 10yrs younger than your present age, pls address her by either sister or Aunty before mentioning her name

She is already married that's enough respect for her, one day she will birth a child and you call her by her child's name

If you are living with them, do so, the house belongs to her and she knows best how to butt you out or allow you to stay with them

Was that necessary?
Why does one feel the need to show who owns what?
Would you say the same if it were your own brother?
Are you contentious?
Why not tell him to prostrate before her because she's Eze nwaanyi?
That is how division in the family starts unnecessarily...

5 Likes

Re: Is It Appropriate To Call My Elder Brother's Wife By Her Name. by hafsatadebisi: 8:07pm On Dec 15, 2020
I don't see anything wrong with calling your elder brother's wife by her name if she's younger than you. I call my elder brother's wife by her name, my younger sister too calls her by her name too. We don't see any big deal in it, after all it's her name, isn't it? Where we used to live, girls do call women older than them and even old enough to be their mother by their names, they don't see it as a big deal. Instead of someone to refer to me as 'dear' or use the word 'dear' on me, I would prefer he or she to call me by my full names rather, irrespective of whether you're older than me or not. Afterall, they're my names. So, I see no big deal in all these.

2 Likes

Re: Is It Appropriate To Call My Elder Brother's Wife By Her Name. by pocohantas(f): 8:18pm On Dec 15, 2020
frozen70:

Even if she is 10yrs younger than your present age, pls address her by either sister or Aunty before mentioning her name.

This one shock me o. Make e be say na sarcasm sha. cheesy cheesy

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Is It Appropriate To Call My Elder Brother's Wife By Her Name. by Efewestern: 8:22pm On Dec 15, 2020
pocohantas:

Things we read on NL... grin

Like someone you are 10years older than, you should call her HANTY because she married your brother grin

7 Likes

Re: Is It Appropriate To Call My Elder Brother's Wife By Her Name. by Nobody: 8:26pm On Dec 15, 2020
obeycian:
Put anty or coin a pet name for her, respecting her equals respecting your elder bro, if I were her I will tell you to stop calling me by my name. Drop your ego

1 Like

Re: Is It Appropriate To Call My Elder Brother's Wife By Her Name. by GboyegaD(m): 8:53pm On Dec 15, 2020
Alennsar:

And this is coming from a woman, what a shame.
Can he call his elder brother by his name.? If no then it's disrespectful to call your elder brothers wife by her name.
You can either call her with her children's name or a title like yourba will say Iyawo, Hausa will say amaria.
If you're igbo nwanyi oma and the likes is okay.
We are Africans and we have good cultural beliefs, one of it is respecting people.

You can state your position without dragging others down. I'm sure you don't expect everyone to agree with you on your position at all times.

7 Likes

Re: Is It Appropriate To Call My Elder Brother's Wife By Her Name. by GboyegaD(m): 9:00pm On Dec 15, 2020
obeycian:
I call by the acronym of her name but I don't know if it is appropriate to address her with the O yoruba pronoun. I don't HV any issues using E for her but I just want to be clarified if it proper if I use O for her.

Oga, you are stressing this thing. Just do what you are comfortable with. Whether O or E doesn't in anyway depict respect. All you both need is respect one another and leave each person in his/her place.

1 Like

Re: Is It Appropriate To Call My Elder Brother's Wife By Her Name. by frozen70(f): 9:16pm On Dec 15, 2020
mariahAngel:

Was that necessary?
Why does one feel the need to show who owns what?
Would you say the same if it were your own brother?
Are you contentious?
Why not tell him to prostrate before her because she's Eze nwaanyi?
That is how division in the family starts unnecessarily...

You can do yours as you wish and accept how yours will treat or identify your wife when the time comes
Re: Is It Appropriate To Call My Elder Brother's Wife By Her Name. by OchoL(f): 9:54pm On Dec 15, 2020
frozen70:

So according to your logic, a woman is only worthy of respect when a man puts her under his roof as a wife?

Let me call @CHoccolaTE ..come and see your co-feminist

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is It Appropriate To Call My Elder Brother's Wife By Her Name. by MISSCONGENIALITY(f): 9:59pm On Dec 15, 2020
Fake respect everywhere. So calling someone by his or her name is now disrespectful?

7 Likes

Re: Is It Appropriate To Call My Elder Brother's Wife By Her Name. by comfokon: 1:24am On Dec 16, 2020
Mumben:
The age difference between me and her is 4 and the age difference between me and my younger brother is 2. Hope I answered ur questions?

I think you're wrong in trying to coerce her into that, you have friends who are below that age and if you've worked in a coy, you would have people ahead of you who are also below you age.

Even the school you went to same thing.

Just saying, don't breed enmity out of nothing.
Re: Is It Appropriate To Call My Elder Brother's Wife By Her Name. by comfokon: 1:44am On Dec 16, 2020
frozen70:

would you as a lady agree to address you elder brothers wife who is your age grade as aunt? say the truth.....

so if the house is a family house nko?

4 Likes

Re: Is It Appropriate To Call My Elder Brother's Wife By Her Name. by comfokon: 1:47am On Dec 16, 2020
Zzor:
Put anty or coin a pet name for her, respecting her equals respecting your elder bro, if I were her I will tell you to stop calling me by my name. Drop your ego

what is wrong with your name please, the school you graduated from, did you tell the far younger people not to call you by your name?

the firm you work that has a younger in age ahead of you, do you give them these your rules too?

abeg the world has gone beyond all these bullshit
Re: Is It Appropriate To Call My Elder Brother's Wife By Her Name. by comfokon: 1:54am On Dec 16, 2020
pocohantas:

Their view of respect is intimidation nothing else. If that younger brother is financially buoyant than her husband, you will see the way even they would be bowing for the junior wife.

3 Likes

Re: Is It Appropriate To Call My Elder Brother's Wife By Her Name. by LadyJasper: 1:57am On Dec 16, 2020
mariahAngel:

It's not "overboard", it's called culture!

Definitely overboard, culture that's filled with hypocrisy, abegiiiiiiiii.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is It Appropriate To Call My Elder Brother's Wife By Her Name. by SweetCunt97(f): 2:05am On Dec 16, 2020
Abeg I don't need any yeye title. Call me by my fvcking name. Getting married no be Grammy Award.. Mtcheew

3 Likes

Re: Is It Appropriate To Call My Elder Brother's Wife By Her Name. by cococandy(f): 3:14am On Dec 16, 2020
One’s name is their identity. That’s enough respect.

I don’t know why we like to complicate things.
OP ask her what she wants to be called. I promise it’s not that complicated.

7 Likes

Re: Is It Appropriate To Call My Elder Brother's Wife By Her Name. by Jotrade: 4:01am On Dec 16, 2020
Respect her the way you respect your elder brother
Re: Is It Appropriate To Call My Elder Brother's Wife By Her Name. by halogate: 3:19pm On Dec 16, 2020
frozen70:

undecided[quote author=frozen70 post=97101750]

lol...house belongs to her?..cos she bought the land and built it. Or she pays the rent.
..so if my brother decides marry a lady 10 years younger than our last born., I should start calling her "aunty" or "sister"...I can't laff.

1 Like

Re: Is It Appropriate To Call My Elder Brother's Wife By Her Name. by Alennsar(f): 3:35pm On Dec 16, 2020
GboyegaD:

You can state your position without dragging others down. I'm sure you don't expect everyone to agree with you on your position at all times.
Alright I am sorry then.
Re: Is It Appropriate To Call My Elder Brother's Wife By Her Name. by MrHighSea: 7:57am On Dec 17, 2020
SweetCunt97:
Abeg I don't need any yeye title. Call me by my fvcking name. Getting married no be Grammy Award.. Mtcheew
Sweetcunt97 good morning,
bros dy house?
Re: Is It Appropriate To Call My Elder Brother's Wife By Her Name. by bukatyne(f): 10:48am On Dec 17, 2020
obeycian:

Calling her mummy XYZ or Iyawo wa or sister XYZ takes nothing from you.

She is your elder brothe's wife.

Omo Yoruba ni e.

Signs.
Re: Is It Appropriate To Call My Elder Brother's Wife By Her Name. by mariahAngel(f): 12:01pm On Dec 17, 2020
bukatyne:

Calling her mummy XYZ or Iyawo wa or sister XYZ takes nothing from you.

She is your elder brothe's wife.

Omo Yoruba ni e.

Signs.

Most people here don't understand where the op is coming from... The Yoruba culture
Some even said it's "overboard"

People would condemn, rather than try to understand and respect the culture and ways of others.
As long as it is not western, it is dumb, stupid, backward, overboard, insane, fake, bla bla bla...

We're slowly killing/losing our beautiful culture to "wokeness"

One topic that made front page the other day, the op said his sister wanted her traditional marriage done in the city...omg! Bukky, ignorantly stupid comments filled the whole place! grin
If you understand the whole process of Igba nkwu nwaanyi in Igbo land (traditional marriage rites), you'd know that it was stupid of the op to create that thread in the first place.
Re: Is It Appropriate To Call My Elder Brother's Wife By Her Name. by Karleb(m): 12:07pm On Dec 17, 2020
mariahAngel:

Most people here don't understand where the op is coming from... The Yoruba culture

People would condemn, rather than try to understand and respect the culture and ways of others.
As long as it is not western, it is dumb, stupid, backward, overboard, insane, fake, bla bla bla...

One topic that made front page the other day, the op said his sister wanted her traditional marriage done in the city...omg! Bukky, ignorantly stupid comments filled the whole place! grin
If you understand the whole process of Igba nkwu nwaanyi in Igbo land (traditional marriage rites), you'd know that it was stupid of the op to create that thread in the first place.

Why did you bring Igbo into this issue kwanu?

In yoruba, the highest form of respect he can give her is iyawo or call her by her child's name not calling her aunty. That is if the the woman in question is ready to call her Baba Oko or Booda.

That's the culture which can be bulllshit sometimes.
Re: Is It Appropriate To Call My Elder Brother's Wife By Her Name. by bukatyne(f): 12:11pm On Dec 17, 2020
mariahAngel:

Na today wokeness start?

How can a Yoruba person ask if he should call his elder brother's wife by name?

Sometimes, I try to understand some people here are trolling/ typing out their fantasies.

It doesn't align with what you see in the real world. undecided
Re: Is It Appropriate To Call My Elder Brother's Wife By Her Name. by bukatyne(f): 12:15pm On Dec 17, 2020
Karleb:

Why did you bring Igbo into this issue kwanu?

In yoruba, the highest form of respect he can give her is iyawo or call her by her child's name not calling her aunty. That is if the the woman in question is ready to call her Baba Oko or Booda.

That's the culture which can be bulllshit sometimes.

What is bullshit about not calling your in-laws name or aunty/uncle/Iyawo/egbon etc. especially when you don't see them often?

Even if you see them every day, does it cost you anything?

And you wonder why we lack an identity!

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

My Wife Is Angry Because I Refused To Accomodate Her Nieces / Is It Wrong To Delegate Some House Bills To A Wife? / I'm In Shock!!!!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.