Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,264 members, 7,818,892 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 07:30 AM

Did Nigerians Conquer Southern Europe In The Middle Ages? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Did Nigerians Conquer Southern Europe In The Middle Ages? (4230 Views)

Reopened Land Borders: What Did Nigerians Gain From Closed Borders? / Kiki Osinbajo Poses In The Middle Of The Road (Photos) / Nigeria Set For Highest Oil Exports To Europe In 7 Months (Dailytrust) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Did Nigerians Conquer Southern Europe In The Middle Ages? by Rossntti: 3:07am On Dec 16, 2020
We know that West Africans conquered and ruled many parts of southern Europe between 700 and 1500 AD - in Italy, Spain, Portugal, Malta etc helping to lift that continent into their Renaissance era. They took literacy, architecture, and medicine, to help civilize Europe, and were greatly successful in their nearly 1,000 year dominance of that continent.

It would be interesting to know how many ancient NIGERIANS were among these conquerors and rulers of Europe.

Re: Did Nigerians Conquer Southern Europe In The Middle Ages? by Rossntti: 3:10am On Dec 16, 2020
Re: Did Nigerians Conquer Southern Europe In The Middle Ages? by Aconomist: 4:15am On Dec 16, 2020
This is delusion. Who cares about Southern Europe? We have the Benin Empire, Bornu Empire, Sokoto Caliphate, etc. to be proud of. That fact that you want to leapfrog all our indigenous civilizations to talk about Southern Europe reeks of an inferiority complex.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Did Nigerians Conquer Southern Europe In The Middle Ages? by kalu61(m): 5:07am On Dec 16, 2020
You must be high on weed. I don't blame you sha. Just like l was imaging the pillars supporting the space at childhood grin

Ancient Nigeria?

When did Nigerian come into being?. It's impossible to get such fact because our legends story were passed by moon light tales(oral history).

7 Likes

Re: Did Nigerians Conquer Southern Europe In The Middle Ages? by tobechi74: 5:15am On Dec 16, 2020
Conquer them now. E b like dey u like history like man u fans

5 Likes

Re: Did Nigerians Conquer Southern Europe In The Middle Ages? by WoundedLamb: 5:19am On Dec 16, 2020
Aconomist:
This is delusion. Who cares about Southern Europe? We have the Benin Empire, Bornu Empire, Sokoto Caliphate, etc. to be proud of. That fact that you want to leapfrog all our indigenous civilizations to talk about Southern Europe reeks of an inferiority complex.

Dude, if you are not interested in the topic, just move on. Must y'all always be aggressive onhere? Why do you guys like to shout down other people? So if history is not about the empires you mentioned, it's no longer worth discussing at all? Are you not a Nairalander, why not create a thread about the empires you mentioned and let the OP discuss the one that interests him? Must you aggressively push your preferences down other people's throats?

Inferiority complex? So when Europeans discuss how the whites colonized Africa, it's not inferiority complex; but when Africans discuss how the Moors ruled southern Europe, you start shouting inferiority complex. Apparently, most of you guys that shout inferiority complex here don't even know anything about racial dichotomy. You guys are just so insecure in your own skin that everything appears as an attack to you. The OP is talking about a very controversial topic a lot of people don't know about (I'm pretty sure you don't know a thing about that subject too) and you're here shutting him down just to appear woke.

15 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Did Nigerians Conquer Southern Europe In The Middle Ages? by WoundedLamb: 5:27am On Dec 16, 2020
OP, I personally believe the controversial Moors of African descent were majorly North Africans. If the location called Nigeria had aboriginal inhabitants then (I believe this is what you meant by 'ancient Nigeria' cause there was no Nigeria then) and some of these inhabitants were among the Moors explorers, we'd still never know cause like someone already pointed out, our history is not well documented. However, there's no indication whatsoever that any group of people from the present day Nigeria ever explored the world. So while I could be wrong, I think we all know the answer to this.

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Did Nigerians Conquer Southern Europe In The Middle Ages? by BigSarah(f): 5:30am On Dec 16, 2020
What are you talking about there were no Nigerians before the middle ages... Probably black Indians
Re: Did Nigerians Conquer Southern Europe In The Middle Ages? by WoundedLamb: 5:42am On Dec 16, 2020
BigSarah:
What are you talking about there were no Nigerians before the middle ages... Probably black Indians

I think the OP is talking about any aboriginal people inhabiting the landmass called Nigeria today (their race wouldn't matter if they were really the forefathers of our oldest empires). He probably used the expression "ancient Nigeria" for want of a better word. Lol.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Did Nigerians Conquer Southern Europe In The Middle Ages? by Aconomist: 5:53am On Dec 16, 2020
WoundedLamb:

Dude, if you are not interested in the topic, just move on. Must y'all always be aggressive onhere? Why do you guys like to shout down other people? So if history is not about the empires you mentioned, it's no longer worth discussing at all? Are you not a Nairalander, why not create a thread about the empires you mentioned and let the OP discuss the one that interests him? Must you aggressively push your preferences down other people's throats?

Inferiority complex? So when Europeans discuss how the whites colonized Africa, it's not inferiority complex; but when Africans discuss how the Moors ruled southern Europe, you start shouting inferiority complex. Apparently, most of you guys that shout inferiority complex here don't even know anything about racial dichotomy. You guys are just so insecure in your own skin that everything appears as an attack to you. The OP is talking about a very controversial topic a lot of people don't know about (I'm pretty sure you don't know a thing about that subject too) and you're here shutting him down just to appear woke.
The moors where not Nigerian. This nonsense is created by people who are ashamed of their real identity as indigenous West Africans so they latch onto other civilization. It's pathetic and poisonous.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Did Nigerians Conquer Southern Europe In The Middle Ages? by WoundedLamb: 6:07am On Dec 16, 2020
Aconomist:
The moors where not Nigerian. This nonsense is created by people who are ashamed of their real identity as indigenous West Africans so they latch onto other civilization. It's pathetic and poisonous.

That is exactly the question OP was asking. The poor guy is not this unidentifed people who you said deliberately distorted history. He is only a Nairalander who created a thread asking a question he thinks is worth discussing. You could educate us all if you know better; I believe that is why the thread was created. But calling him delusional, inferiority complex case, etc. was uncalled for because at the end, no one learns and the whole essence of the thread is lost.

6 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Did Nigerians Conquer Southern Europe In The Middle Ages? by rossniti: 6:29am On Dec 16, 2020
WoundedLamb:

That is exactly the question OP was asking. The poor guy is not this unidentifed people who you said deliberately distorted history. He is only a Nairalander who created a thread asking a question he thinks is worth discussing. You could educate us all if you know better; I believe that is why the thread was created. But calling him delusional, inferiority complex case, etc. was uncalled for because at the end, no one learns and the whole essence of the thread is lost.

Bro, thanks for explaining the obvious to certain people here.

The Moors were black Africans. Anyone who tells you they were Arabs is lying to you, just like they lie when they say the ancient Egyptians were white people or Arabs.

If you go on Google Images now, and type in ''Moorish crests'', you will see a plethora of European aristocratic family crests displaying the black Moorish ancestry of many prominent European families.

You won't see Arabs on the crests.

Just blacks.

Why? Because the Moors were blacks.

Arabs were not called 'Moors' in Europe. They were called... Arabs.

The Moors came primarily from places like the Ancient Mali, Songhai, and Ghana empires, which encompassed, one or the other, the areas today known as Niger, Mali, Mauritania, Morocco, Sudan, South Sudan etc. these were all pure black nations in the days of the Moors.

The possible Nigerian connection has to do with the fact that these regions were very proximate to the area known as Northern Nigeria today. And practiced the same islamic faith. There was definitely major travelling and trade connections between the Hausa States and those civilizations. The ancient Ajami scripts of Northern Nigeria, featuring numerous documents written in indigenous Nigerian languages, attest to cross-cultural links.

I would be absolutely stunned if none of those Northern Nigerians joined up with their Moorish counterparts in the numerous conquests of Southern European population centers.

This were expeditions to Europe that took place over several decades from 711 onwards.

A European scholar sympathetic to the Spaniards remembered the conquest in this way:

''The reins of their horses were as fire, their faces black as pitch, their eyes shone like burning candles, their horses were swift as leopards and the riders fiercer than a wolf in a sheepfold at night . . . The noble Goths [the German rulers of Spain] were broken in an hour, quicker than tongue can tell. Oh luckless Spain!''

Quoted in Edward Scobie, ''The Moors and Portugal’s Global Expansion''

2 Likes

Re: Did Nigerians Conquer Southern Europe In The Middle Ages? by rossniti: 6:52am On Dec 16, 2020
More facts about the Moors

The Moors, who ruled Spain for 800 years, introduced new scientific techniques to Europe, such as an astrolabe, a device for measuring the position of the stars and planets. Scientific progress in Astronomy, Chemistry, Physics, Mathematics, Geography and Philosophy flourished in Moorish Spain

British historian Basil Davidson, one of the most noted historians, recognized and declared that there were no lands at that time (the eighth century) “more admired by its neighbours, or more comfortable to live in, than a rich African civilization which took shape in Spain”

At its height, Córdova, the heart of Moorish territory in Spain, was the most modern city in Europe. The streets were well-paved, with raised sidewalks for pedestrians. During the night, ten miles of streets were well illuminated by lamps. (This was hundreds of years before there was a paved street in Paris or a street lamp in London.) Cordova had 900 public baths – we are told that a poor Moor would go without bread rather than soap!

The Great Mosque of Córdoba (La Mezquita) is still one of the architectural wonders of the world in spite of later Spanish disfigurements. Its low scarlet and gold roof, supported by 1,000 columns of marble, jasper and and porphyry, was lit by thousands of brass and silver lamps which burned perfumed oil.

Education was universal in Moorish Spain, available to all, while in Christian Europe ninety-nine percent of the population were illiterate, and even kings could neither read nor write. At that time, Europe had only two universities, the Moors had seventeen great universities! These were located in Almeria, Cordova, Granada, Juen, Malaga, Seville, and Toledo.

In the tenth and eleventh centuries, public libraries in Europe were non-existent, while Moorish Spain could boast of more than seventy, of which the one in Cordova housed six hundred thousand manuscripts.

The Moors introduced paper to Europe and Arabic numerals, which replaced the clumsy Roman system.

The Moors introduced many new crops including the orange, lemon, peach, apricot, fig, sugar cane, dates, ginger and pomegranate as well as saffron, sugar cane, cotton, silk and rice which remain some of Spain’s main products today.

The Moorish rulers lived in sumptuous palaces, while the monarchs of Germany, France, and England dwelt in big barns, with no windows and no chimneys, and with only a hole in the roof for the exit of smoke. One such Moorish palace ‘Alhambra’ (literally “the red one”) in Granada is one of Spain’s architectural masterpieces. Alhambra was the seat of Muslim rulers from the 13th century to the end of the 15th century. The Alhambra is a UNESCO World Heritage Site

It was through Africa that the new knowledge of China, India, and Arabia reached Europe. The Moors brought the Compass from China into Europe.

The Moors ruled and occupied Lisbon (named “Lashbuna” by the Moors) and the rest of the country until well into the twelfth century. They were finally defeated and driven out by the forces of King Alfonso Henriques. The scene of this battle was the Castelo de Sao Jorge or the ‘Castle of St. George.’

4 Likes

Re: Did Nigerians Conquer Southern Europe In The Middle Ages? by illicit(m): 6:55am On Dec 16, 2020
West Africans don't travel far from their abode historically....

That's why u find NOK arts here and no where else....

They had no sophisticated means of transportation
Re: Did Nigerians Conquer Southern Europe In The Middle Ages? by rossniti: 7:01am On Dec 16, 2020
Moorish Images From the Middle Ages in Europe

Re: Did Nigerians Conquer Southern Europe In The Middle Ages? by rossniti: 7:03am On Dec 16, 2020
illicit:
West Africans don't travel far from their abode historically....

That's why u find NOK arts here and no where else....

They had no sophisticated means of transportation

Garbage.

Everyone used a horse or horse & carriage in the Middle Ages for travel.

Camels also played a great part in helping to cross the Sahara, for merchants carrying goods.

You clearly never heard about the Trans-Saharan Trade, or Mansa Musa, Emperor of Mali, and the richest man who ever lived, who travelled to Egypt with a caravan of 12,000 people.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Did Nigerians Conquer Southern Europe In The Middle Ages? by illicit(m): 7:06am On Dec 16, 2020
rossniti:

Garbage.

Horse were a new thing here, infact it's the Fulanis and the hausas who used it and they have Arab connections....

the history of the yorubas made us understand that because we live in the Savannah, horses were prone to bites from tse tse flies, it was during the war with the jihadists, that we tried to change from infantry to Calvary....

1 Like

Re: Did Nigerians Conquer Southern Europe In The Middle Ages? by illicit(m): 7:08am On Dec 16, 2020
rossniti:

Garbage.

Camels also played a great part in helping to cross the Sahara, for merchants carrying goods.

You clearly never heard about the Trans-Saharan Trade.

interior West Africa had no horses sir

1 Like

Re: Did Nigerians Conquer Southern Europe In The Middle Ages? by rossniti: 7:09am On Dec 16, 2020
illicit:

interior West Africa had no horses sir

Wrong.

The Hausa states and Kanuri empire had cavalry.

The Benin Empire had a cavalry of up to 8,000 soldiers at its peak.

The Oyo empire had a powerful cavalry.
Re: Did Nigerians Conquer Southern Europe In The Middle Ages? by illicit(m): 7:12am On Dec 16, 2020
rossniti:

Wrong.

The Hausa states and Kanuri empire had cavalry.

The Benin Empire had a cavalry of up to 8,000 soldiers at its peak.

The Oyo empire had a powerful cavalry.

Hausa fulani yes, they were close to the Sahel and stayed on caravan routes, it's normal, they are used to it but you see the Oyo and Benin, that was a very much later thing, Oyo adopted Calvary during the Ekiti parapo war, and it wasn't effective because if our topography.... we were never horse men, we trekked everywhere
Re: Did Nigerians Conquer Southern Europe In The Middle Ages? by rossniti: 7:14am On Dec 16, 2020
Benin Empire soldier on horseback

1 Like

Re: Did Nigerians Conquer Southern Europe In The Middle Ages? by 4ckyou: 7:14am On Dec 16, 2020
Aconomist:

Then you can tackle his argument with facts na, no be to they attack him topic bro.

#onelove

2 Likes

Re: Did Nigerians Conquer Southern Europe In The Middle Ages? by rossniti: 7:16am On Dec 16, 2020
illicit:

Hausa fulani yes, they were close to the Sahel and stayed on caravan routes, it's normal, they are used to it but you see the Oyo and Benin, that was a very much later thing, Oyo adopted Calvary during the Ekiti parapo war, and it wasn't effective because if our topography.... we were never horse men, we trekked everywhere

Stop talking rubbish.

The Benin and Oyo armies had THOUSANDS of men on horseback.

I've been studying this stuff since you were in nappies.

If you don't know, go on Google and do your research.

We were taught West African history in my day as a Nigerian student.

PLUS I've done further research since then.

2 Likes

Re: Did Nigerians Conquer Southern Europe In The Middle Ages? by illicit(m): 7:21am On Dec 16, 2020
rossniti:

Stop talking rubbish.

The Benin and Oyo armies had THOUSANDS of men on horseback.

I've been studying this stuff since you were in nappies.

If you don't know, go on Google and do your research.

We were taught West African history in my day as a Nigerian student.

PLUS I've done further research since then.

Did u find horses on NOK art? or Ife Terra cotta

I am simply telling u it's a recent thing, did u even know when Oyo raised a Calvary

It was shortly before the British arrived?

We didn't go to any Europe, get that into ur thick skull

1 Like

Re: Did Nigerians Conquer Southern Europe In The Middle Ages? by omowolewa: 7:27am On Dec 16, 2020
Great works of Art
Re: Did Nigerians Conquer Southern Europe In The Middle Ages? by rossniti: 8:15am On Dec 16, 2020
illicit:

You are very stupid, what are you teaching
who cares about your horses?

Did u find horses on NOK art? or Ife Terra cotta

I am simply telling u it's a recent thing, did u even know when Oyo raised a Calvary

It was shortly before the British arrived?

We didn't go to any Europe, get that into ur thick skull

Guys, this kid first said we had "no horses in interior West Africa". I corrected him with hard facts.

He then said they were "recent", never mind that Portuguese visitors of the 15th century testified the Oba of Benin had a cavalry of thousands of men.

He then claimed the Nok, Nigeria's oldest known settlers had no horses, and he began abusing me.

But here is a link showing a Nok nobleman on horseback, in a sculpture dated 1,400 to 2,000 years ago.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nok_culture

Should I just ignore this kid?

4 Likes

Re: Did Nigerians Conquer Southern Europe In The Middle Ages? by illicit(m): 8:23am On Dec 16, 2020
rossniti:

Guys, this kid first said we had "no horses in interior West Africa". I corrected him with hard facts.

He then said they were "recent", never mind that Portuguese visitors of the 15th century testified the Oba of Benin had a cavalry of thousands of men.

He then claimed the Nok, Nigeria's oldest known settlers had no horses, and he began abusing me.

But here is a link showing a Nok nobleman on horseback, in a sculpture dated 1,400 to 2,000 years ago.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nok_culture

Should I just ignore this kid?

old man, u insulted me first
Re: Did Nigerians Conquer Southern Europe In The Middle Ages? by rossniti: 8:25am On Dec 16, 2020
illicit:

old man, u insulted me first

A poorly trained child who is corrected by his elders regards it as an insult - Igbo Proverb

2 Likes

Re: Did Nigerians Conquer Southern Europe In The Middle Ages? by Nobody: 8:27am On Dec 16, 2020
You have started again with your fake stories.

Nigerian conquered Europe but still are still living in hut when the Europeans arrived.
Re: Did Nigerians Conquer Southern Europe In The Middle Ages? by Nobody: 8:29am On Dec 16, 2020
rossniti:
Moorish Images From the Middle Ages in Europe

Moor are arabs.

Persian empire is Iran, irans are not black but middle easterners. So your so called king Casper is fake.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Funny Post I Saw On Twitter Today. / Unilorin Mock Sunday Igboho In Exam Question / BREAKING: Senate Approves Bill Allowing DSS To Search Phones Of Young Nigerians

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.