Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,166,934 members, 7,866,534 topics. Date: Thursday, 20 June 2024 at 07:27 PM

Why Do Nigerian Americans Earn Lower Than Indian Americans? - Travel (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Why Do Nigerian Americans Earn Lower Than Indian Americans? (2683 Views)

Price War: Air France Reduces Price Of Fare To London Lower Than AirPeace / Do Nigerian International Airports Have Free Wi-fi? Pls Narrate / Why Do Nigerian Embassies Employ Foreigners (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Do Nigerian Americans Earn Lower Than Indian Americans? by DonroxyII: 3:25am On Jan 10, 2021
Gerrard59:
Many ?

When Nigerians and black people in general learn to understand that economic wealth brings power, they will know better.
You have stated it all ... Also an average indian is highly committed to the game of wealth creation and also raised their offspring in same manner in order to ensure successful handing over to generations ..... here among we blacks, the connection get easily lost .... You see a Father and Mother that are successful Engineer and Doctor respectively but their children possibly ending up touting or thuggery ....

Generational wealth is alien to Nigerians and other blacks .... we have alot to change about our mindset , civilisation and technology .... Also, Many Nigerians engaging in illegal activities are spoiling the shows for others in legal activities and it thus affect income due to stereotypes!
Re: Why Do Nigerian Americans Earn Lower Than Indian Americans? by damzy88: 4:11am On Jan 10, 2021
Gerrard59:
Many reasons:

- Indians started making waves in the west before Nigerians. Not just in the US but also the UK. No Nigerian-British billionaire but there Indian-British billionaires.

- Racial discrimination. Although, Nigerians migrated to the US but are categorised as blacks just as African Americans. So whatever injustice the latter suffered by the virtue of skin colour, Nigerians suffered same.

- Nigerians don't attend top universities in same proportion as Indians. I can bet with whatever I've that there are way more Indians in top the 25 universities in the US than Nigerians. Top universities tend to send their graduates to top companies who tend to pay the highest. To get into these universities require writing standardised examinations, something Nigerians have started to shy away from because woke people say standardised exams are against people of colour. What they don't say is that Asians (Indians inclusive) are categorised as people of colour. So, if these tests (LSAT, GRE, GMAT, SAT etc) are against POC, how come Asians get higher scores than everyone including whites? Additionally, what they don't know is that by writing standardised examinations, the chances of being funded are high thereby reducing financial costs incurred for graduate studies. Question is: how do Nigerians expect to fund graduate studies in the US considering that they constitute the largest number of poor people in the world?

- Indians are way more entrepreneurial than Nigerians. If Nigerians were actually enterprising as being peddled across the media, how many successful firms in the US (both private and public) are/were owned/started by Nigerians? Compared to Indians, there's none! Literally none. In fact, there are Indian-American billionaires who made their wealth in the US but there's no Forbes or Bloomberg listed Nigerian-American billionaire. Please don't mention Ogunlesi - he's not Forbes listed. Although, he's an exception but that's where it ends - exception, which shouldn't be considered in the wider scope of things. So, you have successful Indian owned companies, what makes you think they won't employ their brothers and sisters from India, offer higher salaries and move them to the US? How many Nigerian owned firms (assuming there are big and successful) do same as Indians?

- Recently, I checked the data, Nigerians started going to the US in enmass during the '70/'80s, Indians started theirs in the 19th century, first mover advantage. Corroborates my first point. Not only is it first mover advantage, they solidified it and made headway.

- Game of numbers. There are successful Indian owned tech/IT firms who have invested massively in the US and can sponsor grads into the US. How many Nigerian owned tech/IT firms have done same in the US? Do you expect those Indian owned firms to employ Nigerians when there are gazillions of Indians - their brothers and sisters?

When Nigerians and black people in general learn to understand that economic wealth brings power, they will know better.
Often times, your analysis are always spot on. wink
Re: Why Do Nigerian Americans Earn Lower Than Indian Americans? by Prodigee: 4:58am On Jan 10, 2021
I like these kinds of threads. These are the kinds of discourse we should be having as Nigerians and blacks in general. I mean if we don't at least discuss these sort of things, how do we progress as a society and race. This is unfortunately non-existent in our country and rarely among ourselves in the diaspora.
I remember one thread like that were the issue of racial discrimination and prejudice against blacks in the western society, especially the US was being discussed. One of the commenters raised a very important point. We blacks in general can only be recognized/respected as equals until we raise our power and influence level. One good way is by being collectively wealthy and having strong economies back in Africa.
If most African countries can at least be powerhouses in industries such as manufacturing and resource development, It will make us highly recognized and sought after like the Chinese and other races as such.
The truth is unless we consciously bring up our recognition, reputation and power status as a people, the black race as a whole will continue to face every form of racial abuse in the western and developed countries.
We might shove these truths aside especially as Nigerians who have suffered nothing but selfishness, greed and abuse from our myopic evil leaders, but there really needs to be an awakening and conscious movement to really get ourselves of out of the sorry state we find ourselves now.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nigerian Americans Earn Lower Than Indian Americans? by stonemasonn: 10:18am On Jan 10, 2021
$60k is still big money for Nigerian Americans. We've embraced Individualism, all man for himself mentality and this is the result.
Re: Why Do Nigerian Americans Earn Lower Than Indian Americans? by Gerrard59(m): 11:23am On Jan 10, 2021
Prodigee:
I like these kinds of threads. These are the kinds of discourse we should be having as Nigerians and blacks in general. I mean if we don't at least discuss these sort of things, how do we progress as a society and race. This is unfortunately non-existent in our country and rarely among ourselves in the diaspora.
I remember one thread like that were the issue of racial discrimination and prejudice against blacks in the western society, especially the US was being discussed. One of the commenters raised a very important point. We blacks in general can only be recognized/respected as equals until we raise our power and influence level. One good way is by being collectively wealthy and having strong economies back in Africa.
If most African countries can at least be powerhouses in industries such as manufacturing and resource development, It will make us highly recognized and sought after like the Chinese and other races as such.

The truth is unless we consciously bring up our recognition, reputation and power status as a people, the black race as a whole will continue to face every form of racial abuse in the western and developed countries.
We might shove these truths aside especially as Nigerians who have suffered nothing but selfishness, greed and abuse from our myopic evil leaders, but there really needs to be an awakening and conscious movement to really get ourselves of out of the sorry state we find ourselves now.

You mean this thread by me? wink

https://www.nairaland.com/5886610/racism-against-blacks-reduce-drastically
Re: Why Do Nigerian Americans Earn Lower Than Indian Americans? by Prodigee: 5:07pm On Jan 10, 2021
Gerrard59:

You mean this thread by me? wink

https://www.nairaland.com/5886610/racism-against-blacks-reduce-drastically

Exactly. Thanks for the link
Re: Why Do Nigerian Americans Earn Lower Than Indian Americans? by TOKUGAWA(m): 5:21pm On Jan 10, 2021
I think Nigerians need to study how Asians, in one or two generations, climb to the middle class in these Western Countries while Nigerians can keep receiving assistance for several generations.

One of my daughters, while at University in Canada had a friend, an Indian. They talked enough for her to notice that that girl’s parents came to Canada around the same time she herself was born in Canada. They (the girl’s parents)had only high school education compared to me in a PhD program at that time. All they were able to do were menial jobs and lived prudently until they were able to own a Corner Shop. The children grew up helping their parents and going to school. By the time these children reached university, the same parents could pay their fees while my own children needed school loans to get by. In a single generation, Indians with relatively lower education had arrived at Middle-Class status while we Nigerians are busy amassing degrees and boasting to be doing so well, ipso facto! Newsflash! Degrees are not paid for in Canada! Even with your PhD, you keep quiet at work and perform! If another person with a lower level of education does better than you, he could be paid more!

I will conclude with the story of another Nigerian in the United States. Again, this is a true story:

Musa, a Nigerian, with PhD in Chemical Engineering, works for a high-end manufacturing company in Michigan. He joined the company as a junior engineer before he went for his PhD at University of Michigan. After completion, he was employed to work in the research arm of the same company and was on a six figure annual income. Then the economy went into recession. As a senior member of staff, he was well briefed about the company’s fortunes.

Then there was, again, this happy Indian foreman who did his daily routine joyfully as if everything was OK! Musa called him one day and asked if he was aware that the company had less than six months of work left and would be folded up. Rajiv (let’s call him by that name) smiled and told Musa he was fully aware of the state of the company. Then why was he so joyful?

Musa had the shock of his life when Rajiv explained that he already knew the company was not doing well two years previously. He had already made a down-payment for a 7–11 store that he was ready to move to and operate. Surprisingly, he found he could continue to work for nine more months, he therefore put his brother at that particular store while he was earning the income to work for the down-payment of another store! Instead of him running a single store with his brother, each will run a store and will help each other to complete payment!

The examples here are about certificate-piling Nigerian immigrants under performing compared to lower educated Asians. When you now bring in highly educated Indians - that are by the way multiple of times the number of Nigerians, the story becomes even more interesting. Nigerians, abroad, often do not cooperate as easily as Asians do. Four or more Pakistani IT workers can be so helpful to one another, share apartment and contribute to sustain an unemployed member until they all move ahead in Western society. Nigerians in the same situation are more likely to engage in unhealthy competition. The Koreans, Vietnamese, Thai, Indonesians etc., move into middle class much faster than Nigerians do no matter how fast we start. If there is an Olympic medal for the number of degrees acquired, Nigeria will win! If it is a matter of entrepreneurship, upward mobility, social integration, etc., it is a different game! When a Chinese sets up a restaurant, he aims, not only at other Chinese people, but the entire Western population. The same can be said about Thai, Vietnamese, Koreans, etc. The few Nigerians who set up Bukas are targeting other Nigerians or Africans like themselves - 0.1 - 2% of the population! We already failed in the competition from inception!
Omotayo Fakinlede.
(Studied Mechanical Engineering at the University of Alberta 1985
)

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do Nigerian Americans Earn Lower Than Indian Americans? by Xzellentgraphic: 7:32pm On Jan 10, 2021
TOKUGAWA:
I think Nigerians need to study how Asians, in one or two generations, climb to the middle class in these Western Countries while Nigerians can keep receiving assistance for several generations.

One of my daughters, while at University in Canada had a friend, an Indian. They talked enough for her to notice that that girl’s parents came to Canada around the same time she herself was born in Canada. They (the girl’s parents)had only high school education compared to me in a PhD program at that time. All they were able to do were menial jobs and lived prudently until they were able to own a Corner Shop. The children grew up helping their parents and going to school. By the time these children reached university, the same parents could pay their fees while my own children needed school loans to get by. In a single generation, Indians with relatively lower education had arrived at Middle-Class status while we Nigerians are busy amassing degrees and boasting to be doing so well, ipso facto! Newsflash! Degrees are not paid for in Canada! Even with your PhD, you keep quiet at work and perform! If another person with a lower level of education does better than you, he could be paid more!

I will conclude with the story of another Nigerian in the United States. Again, this is a true story:

Musa, a Nigerian, with PhD in Chemical Engineering, works for a high-end manufacturing company in Michigan. He joined the company as a junior engineer before he went for his PhD at University of Michigan. After completion, he was employed to work in the research arm of the same company and was on a six figure annual income. Then the economy went into recession. As a senior member of staff, he was well briefed about the company’s fortunes.

Then there was, again, this happy Indian foreman who did his daily routine joyfully as if everything was OK! Musa called him one day and asked if he was aware that the company had less than six months of work left and would be folded up. Rajiv (let’s call him by that name) smiled and told Musa he was fully aware of the state of the company. Then why was he so joyful?

Musa had the shock of his life when Rajiv explained that he already knew the company was not doing well two years previously. He had already made a down-payment for a 7–11 store that he was ready to move to and operate. Surprisingly, he found he could continue to work for nine more months, he therefore put his brother at that particular store while he was earning the income to work for the down-payment of another store! Instead of him running a single store with his brother, each will run a store and will help each other to complete payment!

The examples here are about certificate-piling Nigerian immigrants under performing compared to lower educated Asians. When you now bring in highly educated Indians - that are by the way multiple of times the number of Nigerians, the story becomes even more interesting. Nigerians, abroad, often do not cooperate as easily as Asians do. Four or more Pakistani IT workers can be so helpful to one another, share apartment and contribute to sustain an unemployed member until they all move ahead in Western society. Nigerians in the same situation are more likely to engage in unhealthy competition. The Koreans, Vietnamese, Thai, Indonesians etc., move into middle class much faster than Nigerians do no matter how fast we start. If there is an Olympic medal for the number of degrees acquired, Nigeria will win! If it is a matter of entrepreneurship, upward mobility, social integration, etc., it is a different game! When a Chinese sets up a restaurant, he aims, not only at other Chinese people, but the entire Western population. The same can be said about Thai, Vietnamese, Koreans, etc. The few Nigerians who set up Bukas are targeting other Nigerians or Africans like themselves - 0.1 - 2% of the population! We already failed in the competition from inception!
Omotayo Fakinlede.
(Studied Mechanical Engineering at the University of Alberta 1985
)
Hmm...this is great

(1) (2) (Reply)

Are You Gay? Prove It. Nigerian Refugee Claimant In Canada / African Immigrants Drown In Mediterrian Sea(video) / Travelling Out Should Not Be So Difficult If You Know What To Do

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.