Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,157,907 members, 7,835,026 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 01:20 AM

Why Do Nigerians Become Less Religious When They Travel Overseas? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Why Do Nigerians Become Less Religious When They Travel Overseas? (791 Views)

If Most Nigerians Become Atheists,What Do You Think Will Happen? / I'm Becoming Less Religious Ever Since I Moved To Germany. / Why Do Nigerians Become Less Religious When They Travel Overseas?is This An Ans? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Do Nigerians Become Less Religious When They Travel Overseas? by Phraences: 2:30pm On Dec 16, 2020
Saw this on Twitter and thought to share.

The responses really resonate with me.

I will actively process movement to Canada next year.

So tired of praying for things good governance should give. My soul is exhausted.

Re: Why Do Nigerians Become Less Religious When They Travel Overseas? by Nobody: 2:35pm On Dec 16, 2020
Some weren't really religious before, others realise that they won't be judged over there, hence they get the freedom(no judgement) they've always desired.
While some are too busy hustling, to ensure they don't get deported, or they just want to make as much money as possible(even if it requires them sacrificing their weekends).
Re: Why Do Nigerians Become Less Religious When They Travel Overseas? by Kriss216: 2:40pm On Dec 16, 2020
Cos going Oversea is prayer point for most Nigerians. After God answered your prayers, it’s all thanksgiving, no more ‘kabashing’, or have you seen a politician campaigning after winning election?

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nigerians Become Less Religious When They Travel Overseas? by sholay2011(m): 2:45pm On Dec 16, 2020
I actually became more serious with God once I got here. Thank you Jesus.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Become Less Religious When They Travel Overseas? by Missyajoke(f): 2:46pm On Dec 16, 2020
Its because things we pray for here are ready made there.

6 Likes

Re: Why Do Nigerians Become Less Religious When They Travel Overseas? by Karlifate: 2:46pm On Dec 16, 2020
grin grin

*Some think village people are solely responsible for their misfortune in life, even when they live carelessly & don't take responsibility for their actions.

*Some just want to belong to an assembly cos majority are identified with one, in their environment.

*Some become religious because they have a request that needs to be granted by God, which can be travelling abroad, and once they get it, God will become the last on the list of their priorities.

etc.

In summary, it all boils down to eye service.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Become Less Religious When They Travel Overseas? by Nobody: 2:46pm On Dec 16, 2020
Kriss216:
Cos going Oversea is prayer point for most Nigerians. After God answered your prayers, it’s all thanksgiving, no more ‘kabashing’, or have you seen a politician campaigning after winning election?

True talk grin grin grin
Re: Why Do Nigerians Become Less Religious When They Travel Overseas? by Fahdiga(m): 2:48pm On Dec 16, 2020
When you travel abroad you will see that your host country have almost everything we ask God to do for us here in Nigeria. then you will realize that prayers without hard work is nullity

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nigerians Become Less Religious When They Travel Overseas? by goodmorning40: 2:50pm On Dec 16, 2020
They found out they have less prayer points over there.
No prayer for NEPA and light,
no wicked village people around,
no babalawo neighbors who spray poverty powder in front of your door every morning,
no wicked leaders for you to pray for their death, no prayer for your salary to be released,
no prayer for God to provide garri for your dinner
No blood sucking demons for you to kill by fire

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nigerians Become Less Religious When They Travel Overseas? by DonCortino: 2:50pm On Dec 16, 2020
Best answer

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Nigerians Become Less Religious When They Travel Overseas? by Freestainworld(m): 2:53pm On Dec 16, 2020
When you travel everything works, you no longer disturb your life, only God thank you, every morning.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Become Less Religious When They Travel Overseas? by haddeylium(m): 2:58pm On Dec 16, 2020
This hilarious cheesy

fighting poverty and spiritual enemies that makes most of them religious
Re: Why Do Nigerians Become Less Religious When They Travel Overseas? by MaxInDHouse(m): 4:15pm On Dec 16, 2020
The truth is this generation is faithless, go out there and you'll see the one and only true Christian organization (Jehovah's Witnesses) performing both at home and abroad!

That's why the group is known globally for their unique faith!

Phraences:

So tired of praying for things good governance should give. My soul is exhausted.

Re: Why Do Nigerians Become Less Religious When They Travel Overseas? by Phraences: 4:16pm On Dec 16, 2020
Freestainworld:
When you travel everything works, you no longer disturb your life, only God thank you, every morning.

Abi. Only prayer of Thanksgiving and praise. Not prayer for open doors, success, divine appointment etce etc

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nigerians Become Less Religious When They Travel Overseas? by Phraences: 4:22pm On Dec 16, 2020
You see pastors here praying the bible passage "enter into another man's labor" They pray for favor to qualify you for a job you are not qualified for. Which in essense means "man no man" job.

But overseas, job plenty. People move from one job to the other. No need to pray for favor to qualify you. I don tire no be lie.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nigerians Become Less Religious When They Travel Overseas? by Dtruthspeaker: 4:41pm On Dec 16, 2020
Phraences:

Simple! Because there, they would learn how to think with their souls than "my brother you Sabi dis tin?"
Re: Why Do Nigerians Become Less Religious When They Travel Overseas? by Telsidelake: 4:51pm On Dec 16, 2020
Even the prayer Jesus taught known as the Lord's prayer is short and to the point. Here in Nigeria, our prayers are loaded and yet corruption full everywhere.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Become Less Religious When They Travel Overseas? by iamwhat: 4:54pm On Dec 16, 2020
The right answer should be a question.
What do we pray for in this country ?
1. Job >>> Job plenty anyhow
2. Evil spirit (Village people) >>> Nothing like that over there
3. Good life (Electricity, water, good road, education, health care) >>> All these things are their on a default note.

Why the prayer ?
Re: Why Do Nigerians Become Less Religious When They Travel Overseas? by kingxsamz(m): 4:56pm On Dec 16, 2020
That's because 90% of the things Nigerians ask their gods for, other country's government have already provided.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nigerians Become Less Religious When They Travel Overseas? by CodeTemplar: 5:02pm On Dec 16, 2020
Because of inferiority. Inferiority deep down in the spirit man.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Become Less Religious When They Travel Overseas? by adeyemi67494: 6:02pm On Dec 16, 2020
This hilarious fighting poverty and spiritual enemies that makes most of them religious

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nigerians Become Less Religious When They Travel Overseas? by edoairways: 6:26pm On Dec 16, 2020
At times I wonder why people generalize things in the media. Not all Nigerians are religious even though most are. You see responses from atheist on this forum on daily basis on how they don't give a damn about religion. Why would a person generalize the whole country?. Such person will be quick to refute an assertion that "Nigerians are scammers" because such narrative doesn't suit him or her
Re: Why Do Nigerians Become Less Religious When They Travel Overseas? by kingxsamz(m): 9:02pm On Dec 16, 2020
‎‎‎
Re: Why Do Nigerians Become Less Religious When They Travel Overseas? by Image123(m): 10:03pm On Dec 16, 2020
Less religious? i don't think so. Most Nigerians become more religious and God thinking when they travel abroad for different reasons. Some only meet other Nigerians in religious groups and gatherings and before you know it become involved in the 'work'. Some become more lonely and distant from home and friends, hence more need to be closer and dependent on God for direction and favour. Many others see their 'escape' from Nigeria as divine favour and perhaps underserved, so they tend to fear God more.

Life abroad though is usually busy, so you will not likely get many people going to service and vigil every day. Instead, you will see them in two or three jobs. While this may affect commitment, they don't normally see themselves as less religious like you see it. Also, the message and emphasis is not on devil, disease, witchcraft and poverty. So people may not pray like they are fighting the devil, lol.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nigerians Become Less Religious When They Travel Overseas? by twosquare(m): 10:50pm On Dec 16, 2020
Phraences:

Because they were not spiritual. Religion crumbles like the cookie when you see that 95% of your prayer points has been answered by the Western system.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nigerians Become Less Religious When They Travel Overseas? by Phraences: 9:07pm On Dec 31, 2020
Tr

(1) (Reply)

Pastor Stops Girl For Dressing Half-naked—prays For Her & Gives Her Money / WONDERS: Apostle Johnson Suleman Shares Miracle Money Amidst Screaming Crowd / 2 Trapped To Death, Others Injured As Popular Nigerian Church Collapses

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.