Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,587 members, 7,812,913 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 10:16 PM

Is It A Sin To Play Lottery? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Is It A Sin To Play Lottery? (2874 Views)

Is It A Sin To Style A Haircut? / Is It A Sin To Question The Bible ? / Pastor Chris Oyakhilome- self-service Is Not A Sin. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is It A Sin To Play Lottery? by IdiAmin2(m): 1:24pm On Mar 26, 2011
There is this guy that lives close to me in Charlton, London. He goes to oyakhilome's satellite church in South East London here and has invited me many times, but I am not the religious type and I explained this to him. I believe in God and serve him in my heart, my own way, I dont think I need to go to church for that. Now this man is the super-religious born-again type, and you see him sometimes handing out Rhapsody of Realities leaflets to strangers on the street.

I was playing the lottery at out local ASDA supermarket last week, when he walked up to me
He said: Do you know it's against the will of God to be gambling? . . I expalined to him that I know gambling is bad if you gamble away your rent or money for your family but I am just playing £2 lottery and not gambling my life away and I have a very well-paid job and this £2 will not change my life if I keep it in my pocket. I play it sometimes when I remember, or when I go to the supermarket and see somebody playing, then i decide to play £1 or £2, I doubt if I spend £10 on lottery in a month,and that £10 does not affect me in anyway.

Then he started the fear tactics and said it is not about the amount of money, it is an avenue for the devil to get into my life, and I could loose my job and the devil will wreck my finances. then he said it is better investment money in the kingdom of God than playing lottery.

All attempts to expalin to this man that I just play lotetry for fun sometimes if I remember to play came to nothing. He kept saying: IT IS A SIN AGAINST GOD'

So please, fellow Nairalanders, what is your opinion because I dont understand how it is a sin against God for playing a game of chance.
Re: Is It A Sin To Play Lottery? by e36991: 1:43pm On Mar 26, 2011
Idi-Amin:

There is this guy that lives close to me in Charlton, London. He goes to oyakhilome's satellite church in South East London here

and has invited me many times, but I am not the religious type and I explained this to him.

I believe in God and serve him in my heart, my own way, I dont think I need to go to church for that.

Now this man is the super-religious born-again type, and you see him sometimes handing out Rhapsody of Realities leaflets to strangers on the street.

I was playing the lottery at out local ASDA supermarket last week, when he walked up to me

He said: Do you know it's against the will of God to be gambling? . .

I expalined to him that I know gambling is bad if you gamble away your rent or money for your family but I am just playing £2 lottery and not gambling my life away and I have a very well-paid job and this £2 will not change my life if I keep it in my pocket. I play it sometimes when I remember, or when I go to the supermarket and see somebody playing, then i decide to play £1 or £2, I doubt if I spend £10 on lottery in a month,and that £10 does not affect me in anyway.

Then he started the fear tactics and said it is not about the amount of money, it is an avenue for the devil to get into my life,

and I could loose my job and the devil will wreck my finances. then he said it is better investment money in the kingdom of God than playing lottery.

All attempts to expalin to this man that I just play lotetry for fun sometimes if I remember to play came to nothing. 

He kept saying: IT IS A SIN AGAINST GOD'

So please, fellow Nairalanders, what is your opinion because I dont understand how it is a sin against God for playing a game of chance.

@Idi-Amin

No doubt a likely choice foothold for the devil smiley

but next when you bump into him, ask him without rhetorics but with scriptures to define sin

To state the precise meaning of sin as referenced in the Bible without intimidations
Re: Is It A Sin To Play Lottery? by IdiAmin2(m): 3:10pm On Mar 26, 2011
@e36991
thanks for your comment. Will definitely try and ask him. This guy is one strong head guy who never listens and feels God has called him into your life to straighten your life out.
I just do not like legalism in any way. If I do not feel any kind of guilt/comdemnation or that God is going to hit me over the head for playing the lottery, then that is the most important thing as I have peace within myself.

One other thing is that maybe he feels I am a bad person because he has invited me sooooo many times to their church and I have not turned up. So many he feels I am a bad person and he needs to get me 'saved'
Re: Is It A Sin To Play Lottery? by Rossikk(m): 1:01am On Mar 31, 2011
Yes. Sneezing loud too is a sin.

smh
Re: Is It A Sin To Play Lottery? by Iyineda(m): 2:54pm On Mar 31, 2011
nvm
Re: Is It A Sin To Play Lottery? by e36991: 11:58am On Apr 02, 2011
Idi-Amin:

@e36991

thanks for your comment. Will definitely try and ask him.

This guy is one strong head guy who never listens and feels God has called him into your life to straighten your life out.

I just do not like legalism in any way. If I do not feel any kind of guilt/comdemnation

or that God is going to hit me over the head for playing the lottery, then that is the most important thing as I have peace within myself.

One other thing is that maybe he feels I am a bad person because he has invited me sooooo many times to their church

and I have not turned up. So many he feels I am a bad person and he needs to get me 'saved'

@Idi-Amin

No problemo . . .

To make it more interesting ask him "Is it a sin to fart or break wind during a prayer or when praying?"
Re: Is It A Sin To Play Lottery? by oritameta(m): 3:52pm On Apr 02, 2011
Rossikk:

Yes. Sneezing loud too is a sin.

grin grin grin
Re: Is It A Sin To Play Lottery? by bonetalk(m): 1:22pm On Apr 03, 2011
Pls, don't listen or hacken to that man's advise, don't allow him to mislead u. Now to your question, the main reason why u are so confused over this small issue is because u don't go to church to fellowship with people that have the knowlegde of the words of God, go to church, read the words God(the Holy Bible) so that u will be able to know the TRUTH about what God wants and what He doesn't wants from u. My brother, it is a bad thing to play gambling whether u play it with big money or not, you and those that play it with a big money are in thesame category and thesame judgement whether you like or not. You might finds it difficult to understand until you become born again, give your life to Christ, believe that he died for you to be saved from captive of sin, start having a fellowship with other children of God and have time to study the Bible(the words God) to be able to know what he has for you now and for the future. Thankz
Re: Is It A Sin To Play Lottery? by oritameta(m): 1:55pm On Apr 03, 2011
Proverbs 28 vs 20 A faithful man shall abound with blessings: but he that MAKETH HASTE TO BE RICH shall not be innocent.

Need say more undecided
Re: Is It A Sin To Play Lottery? by poweredcom(m): 9:43am On Apr 04, 2011
I beg dont mind them, they are fucking brainwashed fanatic, that wanna go to heaven when its stated hat no haven for Man, just angels, and no hell they are all state of mind, on earth here

Play play on, just dont let it be an addict to you, what about those girl in strip club. shaking their ass naked people spraying money o them what will the Guy say, let hi go and preach to them, whether fear go let am
Re: Is It A Sin To Play Lottery? by oaroloye(m): 5:33pm On Mar 31, 2017
SHALOM!

IdiAmin2:
He said: Do you know it's against the will of God to be gambling?

He kept saying: IT IS A SIN AGAINST GOD'

Why are you asking US?

HE told you this- so why couldn't you ask HIM?

. DEUTERONOMY 12:32.

32. What thing soever I Command you,
observe to do it:
thou shalt not add thereto,
nor diminish from it.

PROBLEMS ARISE, WHEN PEOPLE FOLLOW TEACHERS, INSTEAD OF SCRIPTURE.

If you knew how to read, you would never settle for secondhand definitions of Right & Wrong, but demand "THUS SAITH THE LORD!" Chapter & Verse for everything.

. MARK 7:5-13.

5. Then the Pharisees and scribes asked him,
"Why walk not thy Disciples
according to the Tradition of the Elders,
but eat bread with unwashen hands?"
6. He answered and said unto them,
"Well hath Esaias prophesied of you hypocrites,
as it is written,

'THIS PEOPLE HONOURETH ME
WITH THEIR LIPS,
BUT THEIR HEART
IS FAR FROM ME.
7. 'HOWBEIT IN VAIN
DO THEY WORSHIP ME,
TEACHING FOR DOCTRINES
THE COMMANDMENTS OF MEN.'

8. "For laying aside The Commandment of God,
ye hold The Tradition of Men,
as the washing of pots and cups:
and many other such like things ye do."
9. And he said unto them,
"Full well ye reject The Commandment of God,
that ye may keep your own Tradition.
10. "For Moses said,

'HONOUR THY FATHER AND THY MOTHER;'

and,

'WHOSO CURSETH FATHER OR MOTHER,
LET HIM DIE THE DEATH:'

11. "But ye say,
'If a man shall say to his father or mother,

"IT IS CORBAN,
THAT IS TO SAY,
A GIFT,
BY WHATSOEVER
THOU MIGHTEST
BE PROFITED BY ME;"
HE SHALL BE FREE.'

12. "And ye suffer him no more to do ought
for his father or his mother;
13. "Making The Word of God of none effect
through your Tradition,
which ye have delivered:
and many such like things do ye."

WHEN YOU PLAY A GAME OF CHANCE, YOU ENTER INTO A GROUP RELATIONSHIP WITH THE OTHER PARTICIPANTS, WITH THE INTENT OF TAKING THE PRIZE AWAY FROM THEM.

When this is a PAID competition, as a LOTTERY, ROULETTE, POKER, etc.you INTEND to take the LOSERS' money from them.

That is a CLEAR violation of THE EXPLICIT COMMANDMENT OF GOD:

. EXODUS 20:17.

17. "Thou shalt not covet
thy neighbour's house,
thou shalt not covet
thy neighbour's wife,
nor his manservant,
nor his maidservant,
nor his ox, nor his ass,
nor any thing
that is thy neighbour's."

IF PASTOR CHRIS' DISCIPLE HAD KNOWN THAT, HE WOULD HAVE TOLD YOU.

That he did not know tells me everything I need to know about CHRIST OYAKILODE- or whatever they call his name!

(If your testimony is to be believed.)

. MATTHEW 7:12.

12. "Therefore all things
whatsoever ye would
that men should do to you,
do ye even so to them:
for this is The Law
and The Prophets."

IF YOU WANT THE PRIZE MONEY, YOU MUST DESIRE THE OTHER CONTESTANTS TO LOSE.

That is called HATRED.

That is a clear violation of:

. LEVITICUS 19:17-18.

17. "Thou shalt not hate thy brother
in thine heart:
thou shalt in any wise
rebuke thy Neighbour,
and not suffer Sin upon him.
18. "Thou shalt not avenge,
nor bear any grudge
against the Children of thy People,
but thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself:
I (am) The LORD."

(1) (Reply)

The Reason Why Jehovah Witnesses Call God JEHOVAH / Azusa Street Revival Prophecy(1913). / If A Couple Has Sex Are They Married?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.