Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,343 members, 7,819,203 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 12:42 PM

Afe Babalola: 'Nigerian Graduates Are More Dangerous Than Illiterates' - Education (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Afe Babalola: 'Nigerian Graduates Are More Dangerous Than Illiterates' (31252 Views)

My Candid Advice For Nigerian Graduates With 2.2 / Afe Babalola University Commissions Senate Building - The White Rock / Inside Afe Babalola University Teaching Hospital (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Afe Babalola: 'Nigerian Graduates Are More Dangerous Than Illiterates' by TruthHurts1(m): 11:37am On Dec 23, 2020
I actually met one of those illiterate graduates from BUK Kano. The idiot doesn't believe in the lunar landing of 1969. He thinks that no man has ever walked on the surface of the moon.
Re: Afe Babalola: 'Nigerian Graduates Are More Dangerous Than Illiterates' by Blackdisciple(m): 11:38am On Dec 23, 2020
Someone like Osama bin Laden na
Re: Afe Babalola: 'Nigerian Graduates Are More Dangerous Than Illiterates' by desiredhome: 11:39am On Dec 23, 2020
Nigerians with blame game Sha.....

Same people destroying the country will still come and be complaining.........

The greed that have made you build a private and expensive university instead of supporting the government is part of the problem you are complaining of Sir,

1 Like

Re: Afe Babalola: 'Nigerian Graduates Are More Dangerous Than Illiterates' by TruthHurts1(m): 11:39am On Dec 23, 2020
Imagine low IQ brain dead BMC idiots idolising a senile semi illiterate failure like Bubu. Or are you afraid of looking in a mirror?

Simplyleo:
I agree.

Because ipob illiterates also claim they are graduates.

Imagine, graduates taking instructions from a fugitive hiding in a slum and end up swimming in gutters. cheesy
Re: Afe Babalola: 'Nigerian Graduates Are More Dangerous Than Illiterates' by Kyrx(m): 11:40am On Dec 23, 2020
RedPanthar:
They will attack you for this truth the same way the minister of education was attacked for saying too many graduates can't write short sentences without lots of grammatical blunders.... Anyway, I'll only laugh.. grin Make dem no cum for me grin

Make dem no cum for you indeed, you’re basically attacking yourself with this your comment.
Re: Afe Babalola: 'Nigerian Graduates Are More Dangerous Than Illiterates' by Elbowla(m): 11:41am On Dec 23, 2020
Pathetic SAN.....Spewing rubbish like ever before....Mr. SAN, kindly assist me to explain the difference between GLYCOLYSIS AND GLUCONEOGENESIS.....If not.....Sir, your SAN title should be withdrawn with immediate alacrity.
Re: Afe Babalola: 'Nigerian Graduates Are More Dangerous Than Illiterates' by Brunicekid(m): 11:41am On Dec 23, 2020
illicit:
Inasmuch as I respect you sir and that you are my country man, you lack sympathy and common sense sir....

Your lots benefited from British curriculum education which was mostly government sponsored or on common scholarships....

What do you expect?

Your lots destroyed the scheme, as you weren't a politician, you aided and abetted them.

You were a lawyer to Obasonjo who was another recipient of Nigerians benevolence and gullibility....

You guys ruined everything so don't compare
You really said TRUTH.

1 Like

Re: Afe Babalola: 'Nigerian Graduates Are More Dangerous Than Illiterates' by Solatium(m): 11:41am On Dec 23, 2020
illicit:
Inasmuch as I respect you sir and that you are my country man, you lack sympathy and common sense sir....

Your lots benefited from British curriculum education which was mostly government sponsored or on common scholarships....

What do you expect?

Your lots destroyed the scheme, as you weren't a politician, you aided and abetted them.

You were a lawyer to Obasonjo who was another recipient of Nigerians benevolence and gullibility....

You are telling an elder state man that his utterances lack Common sense?
Someone who is old enough to be your Grand Father.

You even made a false claim that he benefited from British or government scholarship, where as the man was self taught,he never attended a formal school.

Has Pa Afe Babalola assertion that most of Nigerian graduates are more dangerous than illiterate come to been now?
Re: Afe Babalola: 'Nigerian Graduates Are More Dangerous Than Illiterates' by enomakos(m): 11:43am On Dec 23, 2020
One of the people that ruins nigeria
Re: Afe Babalola: 'Nigerian Graduates Are More Dangerous Than Illiterates' by Nobody: 11:43am On Dec 23, 2020
Abeegi, let the sleeping dog lie. Who English speaking help
Chinese don't speak better English and they are doing great in Technology.

BTW,
When all foundation is being destroyed. Mushroom schools littering our environs tongue. I know about two O-level results' holders who own schools.

They would be talking as if they have the interest of the students at heart. Direct the grief to the govt & not the pitiful graduates. Who doesn't want a better education for his/her children?

Keep mumuing the mumus undecided
Re: Afe Babalola: 'Nigerian Graduates Are More Dangerous Than Illiterates' by Angelfrost(m): 11:44am On Dec 23, 2020
HigherEd:

Lol what is this undecided

English proficiency isn't education. It is just one out of many very useful languages.
If you aren't a journalist, editor or an english academic, it is perfectly understandable that your knowledge of the language is common and not exceptionally professional. Just be able to write and communicate effectively without gaffing.

If I am not wrong, folks studying language still study adjectives, adverbs into their postgraduate levels.

As for geography. Perhaps I was taught about tropics of cancer, capricorn in secondary school, and my brain has simply relegated that information or it wasn't relatable enough to remember. But I find it funny the suggestion that inability to remember some topic in geography makes my entire education 'dangerous'.

If I rolled out an on the spot test in SSCE Biology, many of today's lecturers (including the OP) who aren't within the sciences would fail it woefully. And accessors would still agree I never crossed into higher education biology with the test.

E je ki awa guided o.

Well written... That's the part I vehemently disagreed with him on.

However, you see that part of "Just be able to write and communicate effectively without gaffing.", you will be amazed to know that only less than 25% of graduates can actually do that.

My issue with most graduates of today is not just poor grammar... A lot of them don't even bother about self improvement. Even the best schools in this world can never teach you everything, cos we learn in parts.

4 Likes

Re: Afe Babalola: 'Nigerian Graduates Are More Dangerous Than Illiterates' by zsamorano(m): 11:46am On Dec 23, 2020
isthatso:

You are the people he is talking about. It is “you lot” not “you lots”
you're confirm mumu...can't u see, u just make mistakes too. Honestly, the guy you quoted is far more brilliant than u.
Re: Afe Babalola: 'Nigerian Graduates Are More Dangerous Than Illiterates' by JordanMichael(m): 11:47am On Dec 23, 2020
updatechange:
Baba ended up lecturing Nigerian graduates on use of English and geography at these time cheesy cheesy
The mata taya me o! He go soon enta biology and start lecturing us living and non living things

1 Like

Re: Afe Babalola: 'Nigerian Graduates Are More Dangerous Than Illiterates' by joyousever(f): 11:48am On Dec 23, 2020
In fact, I applaud your apt analysis / assertion.You virtually expressed my mind. Bravo!
Angelfrost:
I don't agree with everything he said, but I must concede that our universities are churning out semi-literates with very low intelligence as graduates these days... So many of them are already all over politics and romance sections.

While I don't expect every graduate to be well versed in grammar or geography, as he emphasized above. Still, a graduate ought to know the basics of almost all these. He should be able to express himself fluently in the common National language... These days, that's way too much to ask of even Masters degree holders.

I won't put the blame solely at the feet of our lecturers (Though some are quite unqualified to lecture a soul). Basic/foundational education for most Nigerian graduates is either half-baked or grossly less than average. I am talking about basic primary to secondary school education.
Forget all these grades and scores in WAEC and JAMB (A lot of them are purchased)... How many of our young people in Universities obtained quality, complete and thorough basic education??! Trace this carefully, and you will see the genesis of the rubbish graduates sneaking out of universities with bachelor degrees.
Re: Afe Babalola: 'Nigerian Graduates Are More Dangerous Than Illiterates' by Angelfrost(m): 11:49am On Dec 23, 2020
Karleb:
If I can't differentiate between transitive and intransitive verb, can you differentiate between Purine and Pyrimidine?

Bullshit!

Good question... Our professor must have gotten confused while making his point. He still made a good point! We have to do better as graduates of this time and age.

I advocate constant self improvement especially in individual areas of expertise.
Re: Afe Babalola: 'Nigerian Graduates Are More Dangerous Than Illiterates' by Nobody: 11:49am On Dec 23, 2020
Karleb:
If I can't differentiate between transitive and intransitive verb, can you differentiate between Purine and Pyrimidine?

Bullshit!
Can he differentiate between ODE (Ordinary Differential Equations) and PDE (Partial Different Equations)?
Re: Afe Babalola: 'Nigerian Graduates Are More Dangerous Than Illiterates' by psucc(m): 11:50am On Dec 23, 2020
Most of my colleagues here has made useful comments and responses which I feel will suffice. I merely wants to asked the "Learned Gentleman" what he has contributed to make education working in Nigeria having benefited from Public educational system where almost everything was paid by the government.

Having been trained through that system, he merely established a university (probably with loots) where the common man has been priced out.

This is the kind of "Patriots" Nigeria breeds! How sad!

1 Like

Re: Afe Babalola: 'Nigerian Graduates Are More Dangerous Than Illiterates' by hotseat: 11:50am On Dec 23, 2020
The man said nothing but the truth.

However, that sweeping generalization is unacceptable.

There are lots of Nigerian graduates doing exceeding well in different spheres both in and outside the shores of this country.

The root of the rot in the educational system can be traced to the loss of our moral values.

It is a system that rewards mediocrity rather than meritocracy.

The only thing that counts today in Nigeria is money and more money no matter the source.

This is as a result of the pervasive corruption, nepotism, bribery, quota system, miracle centres, etc., over the years.

But, the most outstanding factor boils down to our so-called leaders who bastardize the system only to have all their children and wards school abroad.

We are simply not a country in the true sense of the word.

As the years go by, it would only get worse if urgent steps are not taken to address this shameful trend.

2 Likes

Re: Afe Babalola: 'Nigerian Graduates Are More Dangerous Than Illiterates' by AreaFada2: 11:51am On Dec 23, 2020
Baba I agree with you. But your generation creamed off Nigeria and left every sector in shambles for the current generation. Only to share our commonwealth to build own private empires.

Education can only be as good as those who manage it and the facilities, faculty and other resources available.

Countries that produce top quality graduates don't do so using mediocre and dilapidated universities.
Re: Afe Babalola: 'Nigerian Graduates Are More Dangerous Than Illiterates' by promisedeco(m): 11:52am On Dec 23, 2020
HigherEd:

Lol what is this undecided

English proficiency isn't education. It is just one out of many very useful languages.
If you aren't a journalist, editor or an english academic, it is perfectly understandable that your knowledge of the language is common and not exceptionally professional. Just be able to write and communicate effectively without gaffing.

If I am not wrong, folks studying language still study adjectives, adverbs into their postgraduate levels.

As for geography. Perhaps I was taught about tropics of cancer, capricorn in secondary school, and my brain has simply relegated that information or it wasn't relatable enough to remember. But I find it funny the suggestion that inability to remember some topic in geography makes my entire education 'dangerous'.

If I rolled out an on the spot test in SSCE Biology, many of today's lecturers (including the OP) who aren't within the sciences would fail it woefully. And accessors would still agree I never crossed into higher education biology with the test.

E je ki awa guided o.

God bless you.
No need for me to emphasize on it more
Re: Afe Babalola: 'Nigerian Graduates Are More Dangerous Than Illiterates' by joyousever(f): 11:54am On Dec 23, 2020
That's because English is not their lingua franca.
Tobest94:
I’ve a friend schooling in Korea, they don’t speak English at his school but native language.. So I’ve a question for y’all.. Are they not educated over there because they don’t speak English?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Afe Babalola: 'Nigerian Graduates Are More Dangerous Than Illiterates' by kaymart: 11:56am On Dec 23, 2020
Karleb:

Bullshit!
Rx
Re: Afe Babalola: 'Nigerian Graduates Are More Dangerous Than Illiterates' by anonymous1759(m): 11:56am On Dec 23, 2020
smiley

This man is right to an extent , but come to think of it most of the things I've learned are not from Nigerian university, Nairaland forum aside from the Tribal bigots is more Educative compared to the Nigerian universities.

These old men criticize us but you see most of them who claimed to be intelligent and have the best Education read transcripts whenever they're making speeches . They hardly address the crowd without looking for what to read .

What about leadership? They're zero nothing to right home about . The bills they pass makes one think these men didn't attend school.

Being an English expert doesn't mean you're intelligent or smart . But to be Sincere must Nigerian graduates done know anything they just focus on old test books in schools from these lectures who don't know anything and when They're out you can't engage them into a meaningful conversation.

I'll say it again most the things I've learnt is experienced based not university.

If you want to be a versatile graduate study online meet different personalities , don't waste all your time on social media viewing funny videos or fashion unless you're making money from it, tap from the Educative perspective.

1 Like

Re: Afe Babalola: 'Nigerian Graduates Are More Dangerous Than Illiterates' by Vistra40: 11:56am On Dec 23, 2020
Arrewa:
The government hate mass enlightenment.

Which government?
Re: Afe Babalola: 'Nigerian Graduates Are More Dangerous Than Illiterates' by SocialJustice: 11:56am On Dec 23, 2020
illicit:

What do you expect?

Accept and shut it, making excuses as usual.
Re: Afe Babalola: 'Nigerian Graduates Are More Dangerous Than Illiterates' by Vistra40: 12:00pm On Dec 23, 2020
Simplyleo:
I agree.

Because ipob illiterates also claim they are graduates.

Imagine, graduates taking instructions from a fugitive hiding in a slum and end up swimming in gutters. cheesy

You just found a way to turn this thread into a tribal war ground. You should really be applauding yourself now
Re: Afe Babalola: 'Nigerian Graduates Are More Dangerous Than Illiterates' by Poorboy: 12:00pm On Dec 23, 2020
Omezif:
There are nothing new to graduates from all these grammers he utter out. Few graduates have the problem while majorities of graduate haven't. we thank God parents are not considering the way government are handling education and lack of job to their children after graduating in this country besides knowing the value of education.
Grammar
Re: Afe Babalola: 'Nigerian Graduates Are More Dangerous Than Illiterates' by NaMeAboki: 12:02pm On Dec 23, 2020
There are so many of them here in Nairaland; they cannot read or write properly and always misinterpreting basic written issues, with their warped logic, and giving them different meanings in line with their own myopic biases/sentiments.
They will engage you with their ignorance and insult you as soon as you attempt to correct them - many of them are from a particular region notorious for their hatred and insolence.
Re: Afe Babalola: 'Nigerian Graduates Are More Dangerous Than Illiterates' by Codedlyon: 12:08pm On Dec 23, 2020

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Soldiers Injure Students During Bauchi SUG Election. Graphic Photos / Please Help; I'm Too Shy / Pay Rise: FG Excludes State Universities, ASUU Kicks

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.