Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,468 members, 7,819,712 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 09:31 PM

Afe Babalola: 'Nigerian Graduates Are More Dangerous Than Illiterates' - Education (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Afe Babalola: 'Nigerian Graduates Are More Dangerous Than Illiterates' (31253 Views)

My Candid Advice For Nigerian Graduates With 2.2 / Afe Babalola University Commissions Senate Building - The White Rock / Inside Afe Babalola University Teaching Hospital (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Afe Babalola: 'Nigerian Graduates Are More Dangerous Than Illiterates' by CzarChris(m): 1:31pm On Dec 23, 2020
illicit:
Inasmuch as I respect you sir and that you are my country man, you lack sympathy and common sense sir....

Your lots benefited from British curriculum education which was mostly government sponsored or on common scholarships....

What do you expect?

Your lots destroyed the scheme, as you weren't a politician, you aided and abetted them.

You were a lawyer to Obasonjo who was another recipient of Nigerians benevolence and gullibility....

You guys ruined everything so don't compare
May God bless you and meet you at the point of your needs for this apt comment.
Believe me posterity will judge this set of elders harshly for the legacy they left behind.

1 Like

Re: Afe Babalola: 'Nigerian Graduates Are More Dangerous Than Illiterates' by nnaetobi(m): 1:33pm On Dec 23, 2020
Simplyleo:
I agree.

Because ipob illiterates also claim they are graduates.

Imagine, graduates taking instructions from a fugitive hiding in a slum and end up swimming in gutters. cheesy
ipob kill u there. Amu aturu
Re: Afe Babalola: 'Nigerian Graduates Are More Dangerous Than Illiterates' by Feggie3: 1:37pm On Dec 23, 2020
Simplyleo:
I agree.

Imagine, graduates taking instructions from a fugitive hiding in a slum and end up swimming in gutters. cheesy
You always book space to seek for attention. This time we won't give it to you. Illiterates everywhere.
Re: Afe Babalola: 'Nigerian Graduates Are More Dangerous Than Illiterates' by BobbyZrealist(m): 1:37pm On Dec 23, 2020
So what has he said now?
He came out and generalised everyone ,and mind you not everyone has the ability to assimilate things the same way.
All those things he was talking about,grammar verbs and whatever,they have been teaching us since grade 7.
So what is new? Even teachers make mistakes,so don't come here bashing every Nigerian youth,because you have met some.
He too is a graduate,so he too is more dangerous than an illiterate?
Always be careful about generalising things especially when you are in public space.
Re: Afe Babalola: 'Nigerian Graduates Are More Dangerous Than Illiterates' by Nobody: 1:42pm On Dec 23, 2020
Simplyleo:
I agree.

Trying hard to be relevant, your days had expired! Close your account and start using the other one.
Re: Afe Babalola: 'Nigerian Graduates Are More Dangerous Than Illiterates' by demmie1: 1:53pm On Dec 23, 2020
When I remembered what this righteousness guy said about only one heaven beyond the sky on a post about planets and stars and lots of those you think are intelligent agrees with him, I find it hard to disagree with the old man

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Afe Babalola: 'Nigerian Graduates Are More Dangerous Than Illiterates' by mfoniso67157: 1:56pm On Dec 23, 2020
But Sir, English language is not an should never be a catalyst to judge an literate person nh

1 Like

Re: Afe Babalola: 'Nigerian Graduates Are More Dangerous Than Illiterates' by smartest2020(m): 2:07pm On Dec 23, 2020
May be he majored in bcs in english! That's why he thought other graduate's papars useless!
Re: Afe Babalola: 'Nigerian Graduates Are More Dangerous Than Illiterates' by Soleye24(m): 2:09pm On Dec 23, 2020
In summary, baba said the only valid graduates are those that studied English and geography, others are counterfeit.
Re: Afe Babalola: 'Nigerian Graduates Are More Dangerous Than Illiterates' by 1Sharon(f): 2:09pm On Dec 23, 2020
Lol I'll just state this observation

A white person without a degree can know so much about the world and their own history, can't really say the samefor nigerians who are degree holders.

True education is knowing a little bit about everything not knowing so much about one thing.

The latter is common with Nigerians
Re: Afe Babalola: 'Nigerian Graduates Are More Dangerous Than Illiterates' by Frankhad: 2:20pm On Dec 23, 2020
Help me ask baba Babalola if all the students in his school deserve the given admission. They are all the failed and defeated leaders who drastically spoil the life of the youths now and posterity.
Re: Afe Babalola: 'Nigerian Graduates Are More Dangerous Than Illiterates' by uckennety(m): 2:20pm On Dec 23, 2020
EBMedia:

https://igberetvnews.com/1376346/nigeria-graduates-dangerous-illiterates-afe-babalola/

to be sincere I don't know this even

that's secondary school stuff

but yet I'm a marketer abroad
Re: Afe Babalola: 'Nigerian Graduates Are More Dangerous Than Illiterates' by toxtimmy: 2:22pm On Dec 23, 2020
This guy is a snapshot of the problem with Nigeria.... You judge somebody based on their spoken or written English.... Funny enough he is rubbing shit on his face simply because he is in the business of producing graduates and by his statement the graduates his school produced are worst than armed robbers.�

Why don’t you judge people based on what they can, or are doing or want to do irrespective if they know how to write or speak English? What about people that cannot talk or speak or read or write due to biological problems... are they dangerous?... What about our great great grand parents that could not read or write English that thrived as a society or village where they had courts to resolve disputes, trained men and women that deliver babies and provide health care to its people then etc.? Our ancestors built boats, houses and much more despite they could not read or write English, they were innovators until the oyinbo men came to

What has he as a man or scholar innovated?... Everything his school teaches are what oyinbo men have written down for them to follow... Again what has this man innovated in his life?

My point is we as Nigerians or black people should take what works from the rest of the world and also improve on who are as a people and culture.

EBMedia:

https://igberetvnews.com/1376346/nigeria-graduates-dangerous-illiterates-afe-babalola/
Re: Afe Babalola: 'Nigerian Graduates Are More Dangerous Than Illiterates' by 1Sharon(f): 2:33pm On Dec 23, 2020
Karleb:
If I can't differentiate between transitive and intransitive verb, can you differentiate between Purine and Pyrimidine?

Bullshit!

English is the 1st language and lingua franca of Nigerians, not the same for a knowledge in biology.
Re: Afe Babalola: 'Nigerian Graduates Are More Dangerous Than Illiterates' by Nobody: 2:35pm On Dec 23, 2020
johnmartus:
I'm not blame him at all. The opportunist old stupid man that mocking the wokerholic innocent Nigerian Youths.

His generation destroyed Nigeria and scattered everything. Go to his home country in Ekiti and see
the properties this man own. Ask him where he got all the money from.

Before Afe became attorney General of federation he was a nobody he stolen our wealth and you still have guts to mocking us. Till date this man couldn't account for 5billion that disappeared from federation account during his tenure.

I wonder what English got to do with quality life ... Even in America there are many whites that couldn't write a good sentences even Trump also committing errors
most time.

A Mexican would leaved Mexico to America someone that couldn't even speak English or write English language but he will still find a good job and sending money to his country. America and other western country provides an opportunity for everyone regardless of Tribe, Ethnicity, religious, and Language barrier. Can the same thing be said about Nigeria.

I just don't know what this generation done to this old fool.

It's not about speaking English . . . Years back, when I used to interview graduates for entry-level positions, I used to ask questions as basic as 'What is 10% of NGN25,000?' just to tell you how bad it was, those who floundered were in the majority. It was so rampant, that the recruitment people were always stunned at how many people they dropped off without even asking tough questions - just basic 'what is a 5% of NGN14,000'. If you don't like Babalola, would you at least listen to Soyinka . . .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZJUemRIxPeY&list=PL8IpCpfoliCcDOmJ84KTbwlM1hYU42n9G&index=271
Re: Afe Babalola: 'Nigerian Graduates Are More Dangerous Than Illiterates' by Temptee101(m): 2:36pm On Dec 23, 2020
So, in this man's mind, good education is all about the proper use of English language?

In as much as I agree with him that Nigeria is a shithole filled with illiterates to the brim, if not they wouldn't have elected a man like buhari as president, but centering his argument solely on understanding and speaking good English is an error.

How many Chinese, Russians, Germans, etc, speak English let alone a good one, does that make them illiterates?

You might argue that English language is not their official language, but English itself is confusing. If not, why would we have American and British English?
Re: Afe Babalola: 'Nigerian Graduates Are More Dangerous Than Illiterates' by Nobody: 2:38pm On Dec 23, 2020
zsamorano:
you're confirm mumu...can't u see, u just make mistakes too. Honestly, the guy you quoted is far more brilliant than u.

again you are one of the people Afe babalola is refering to otherwise you will know there are some mistakes you dont make. like you dont say "that boy" when you mean to say "that girl". These things are ingrained into you when you are properly educated such that it is impossible for you to make a mistake, not once, not twice in the same post!!! That is someone who doesnt know!!!

1 Like

Re: Afe Babalola: 'Nigerian Graduates Are More Dangerous Than Illiterates' by 1Sharon(f): 2:43pm On Dec 23, 2020
Karleb:

Guy, don't feel bad.

Unless you're studying Geology, it shouldn't be your concern.

While I was in school, I was too busy battling with Protein, Nucleic Acids, Lipids and the likes to even think of nonsense like that. I was also into other fields during my free time.

[b]Focus on your field. [/b]Don't listen to one old man with prepared speech.

Exactly what the man is saying. A true rounded education is knowing a little bit about everything and not knowing ALOT about one specific thing.

Nigerians tend to know alot about a specific discipline and not much else.
Re: Afe Babalola: 'Nigerian Graduates Are More Dangerous Than Illiterates' by 1Sharon(f): 2:46pm On Dec 23, 2020
Saig:
English is just a language and not a measure for intelligence. What we should be concerned about is why we have faculties of engineering in our Universities, yet, give every single contract of any meaningful construction to the Chinese or Berger

Actually, it kind of is.
Re: Afe Babalola: 'Nigerian Graduates Are More Dangerous Than Illiterates' by Solatium(m): 2:51pm On Dec 23, 2020
Bbbwings:
His generation destroyed nigeria.

Remember your father and possibly your grandfather belong to that generation. invariably your father/Grandfather was also part of those destroyers
Re: Afe Babalola: 'Nigerian Graduates Are More Dangerous Than Illiterates' by 1Sharon(f): 2:51pm On Dec 23, 2020
Tobest94:
I’ve a friend schooling in Korea, they don’t speak English at his school but native language.. So I’ve a question for y’all.. Are they not educated over there because they don’t speak English?

Is English their lingua franca like Nigeria?
Re: Afe Babalola: 'Nigerian Graduates Are More Dangerous Than Illiterates' by Newboss(m): 2:52pm On Dec 23, 2020
There is a difference between being educated and knowing everything. A huge difference

1 Like

Re: Afe Babalola: 'Nigerian Graduates Are More Dangerous Than Illiterates' by 1Sharon(f): 2:54pm On Dec 23, 2020
Angelfrost:

Blames... Blames... Blames... Wake up to the reality of today sir.

Education, good education is even far more accessible now than it was then. How??! The internet.

Instead of young people to maximize the internet and sundry resources to better their intellect, they rather pursue nefarious and mundane things.

Yes, our elders messed up with respect to building good legacies, but how well have your peers pushed to break barriers of ignorance?!! Everything good can never come easy.

Thank you. Our people are very incurious.
Knowledge is literally at our fingers but our ppl are still ignorant.
Re: Afe Babalola: 'Nigerian Graduates Are More Dangerous Than Illiterates' by Karleb(m): 2:54pm On Dec 23, 2020
1Sharon:

Exactly what the man is saying. A true rounded education is knowing a little bit about everything and not knowing ALOT about one specific thing.

Nigerians tend to know alot about a specific discipline and not much else.

Why don't you tell me the little you know about physics and electronics, aeronautic engineering, fluid mechanics, scrum, functional and object oriented programming.

Why do you think professors, doctors, lawyers specialize?

You're being dishonest with yourself and dancing to the man's tune.

You're only appealing to power in this case.
Re: Afe Babalola: 'Nigerian Graduates Are More Dangerous Than Illiterates' by Karleb(m): 2:55pm On Dec 23, 2020
1Sharon:

English is the 1st language and lingua franca of Nigerians, not the same for a knowledge in biology.

How will knowing the difference between transitive and intransitive verb help me buy cheap Christmas chicken in the market?
Re: Afe Babalola: 'Nigerian Graduates Are More Dangerous Than Illiterates' by Karleb(m): 3:18pm On Dec 23, 2020
Bagehot:

It's not about speaking English . . . Years back, when I used to interview graduates for entry-level positions, I used to ask questions as basic as 'What is 10% of NGN25,000?' just to tell you how bad it was, those who floundered were in the majority. It was so rampant, that the recruitment people were always stunned at how many people they dropped off without even asking tough questions - just basic 'what is a 5% of NGN14,000'. If you don't like Babalola, would you at least listen to Soyinka . . .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZJUemRIxPeY&list=PL8IpCpfoliCcDOmJ84KTbwlM1hYU42n9G&index=271

One thing about this kind of question is that we don't ever get to hear the candidates side of the story.

Did you know that in your organization, if we were to set a cheap IQ test for all the staff, a lot of you would fail.

Do you remember when Nigerian legislators couldn't recite the national anthem.

Or is Buhari who claimed Nigerian youths are lazy that couldn't pronounce COVID-19.

1 Like

Re: Afe Babalola: 'Nigerian Graduates Are More Dangerous Than Illiterates' by mutvy: 3:24pm On Dec 23, 2020
Afe Babalola, you are a madman. The same Nigerian graduates perform wonders in overseas. May God punish you Afe Babalola.

1 Like

Re: Afe Babalola: 'Nigerian Graduates Are More Dangerous Than Illiterates' by 1Sharon(f): 3:35pm On Dec 23, 2020
Karleb:

How will knowing the difference between transitive and intransitive verb help me buy cheap Christmas chicken in the market?

Okay
Re: Afe Babalola: 'Nigerian Graduates Are More Dangerous Than Illiterates' by Nobody: 3:48pm On Dec 23, 2020
There are graduates who do not know the difference between Tropics of Cancer and Tropics of Capricorn. There are those who do not know Magellan line, that is, the line that divides the earth into two.

There are many graduates who do not know the distance between the earth and where the rain starts to fall. There are also those who do not know why we have day and night or the difference between Neap or High Tide or the fact that what is called heaven consists of billions of stars and different planets.

With all due respect sir, the extracted Bull-Shits above from you is one of the reasons why Nigeria is still putting on pampers after 60 year's because you and your kinds have misplaced and misguided views on what being educated is all about.

How does knowing the distance between the earth and where the rain starts to fall improve the impoverished lives of millions of Nigerians which you and your high profile oligarchy client's imposed on them?

How does knowing inconsequential and irrelevant things that are of zero values to the Nigerian society fix the insecurity problems in Nigeria and how does knowing the tropics of cancer and tropics of capricorn stops the likes of Afe Babalola and his political cronies from further looting of the national treasury?

I completely agree with him that some so called educated fellas like Afe Babalola are even more dangerous than the uneducated one's and Afe Babalolas antecedents has proven to be more dangerous because of the criminal and ignominious roles he played when OBJ was president of Nigeria and how he also acquired his license and funds to build his own private university which was the trend then and why they don't give a fck about public tertiary institutions because educated criminals like Afe Babalola that know's the difference between adverbs and adjectives decided to participate in raping of the national treasury instead of sticking to adverbs and adjectives and his tropics of cancer and capricorn BS.

Instead of advocating for completely overhauling of the outdated, primitive and useless Nigerian academic curriculum that has turned graduates into job seekers instead of job creator's and problem solvers, this well established crook is busy yapping crap about knowing Magellan line, that is, the line that divides the earth into two as if that is what will take Nigeria out of it's current 3rd world status.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Afe Babalola: 'Nigerian Graduates Are More Dangerous Than Illiterates' by professore(m): 4:07pm On Dec 23, 2020
HigherEd:

Lol what is this undecided

English proficiency isn't education. It is just one out of many very useful languages.
If you aren't a journalist, editor or an english academic, it is perfectly understandable that your knowledge of the language is common and not exceptionally professional. Just be able to write and communicate effectively without gaffing.

If I am not wrong, folks studying language still study adjectives, adverbs into their postgraduate levels.

As for geography. Perhaps I was taught about tropics of cancer, capricorn in secondary school, and my brain has simply relegated that information or it wasn't relatable enough to remember. But I find it funny the suggestion that inability to remember some topic in geography makes my entire education 'dangerous'.

If I rolled out an on the spot test in SSCE Biology, many of today's lecturers (including the OP) who aren't within the sciences would fail it woefully. And accessors would still agree I never crossed into higher education biology with the test.

E je ki awa guided o.

You are truly educated. You spoke my mind. I am disappointed in the person who said all what is in this post, it is as if to say he wants us all to either study English or Geography.
Re: Afe Babalola: 'Nigerian Graduates Are More Dangerous Than Illiterates' by Bbbwings: 4:10pm On Dec 23, 2020
Solatium:

Remember your father and possibly your grandfather belong to that generation.
invariably your father/Grandfather was also part of those destroyers
No holds bar
Re: Afe Babalola: 'Nigerian Graduates Are More Dangerous Than Illiterates' by Flynnthekidd(m): 4:12pm On Dec 23, 2020
RedPanthar:
They will attack you for this truth the same way the minister of education was attacked for saying too many graduates can't write short sentences without lots of grammatical blunders.... Anyway, I'll only laugh.. grin Make dem no cum for me grin

You're righth to an extent though but imagine asking an Engineer what a Transitive Verb is or asking a graduate of Economics what H2SO4 is....o wrong naw

No man is an island of Knowledge! You might be a genius is one field and at the same time be a Layman in another field...it's just the way it is. You don't expect Ben Carson to start lecturing you about Architecture or Bill Gates to teach you Biology. Lemme come down a lil bit...how will it sound if Bubu appoints a Medical doctor as CBN Governor?? Wrong right? Good! Now does that mean the Medical Doctor is a failure??

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

What Is The Difference Between School, Faculty And College? / Soldiers Injure Students During Bauchi SUG Election. Graphic Photos / Please Help; I'm Too Shy

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.