Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,763 members, 7,820,667 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 07:06 PM

Which English Words Do You Find Difficult Spelling Or Pronouncing? - Education (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Which English Words Do You Find Difficult Spelling Or Pronouncing? (32639 Views)

20 Rarely Used English Words That We Need To Know / Seven English Words You Will Be Shocked To Know You’ve Been Using Wrongly / English Words You Have Been Using Wrongly As A Nigerian!!! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Which English Words Do You Find Difficult Spelling Or Pronouncing? by Dayoebe(m): 10:07pm On Dec 23, 2020
1OLADesign:
till now I still spell EXERCISE like Ede X Ede remi coni iya, segun elere ball grin

Odabo Odabo kayode

1 Like

Re: Which English Words Do You Find Difficult Spelling Or Pronouncing? by pocohantas(f): 10:08pm On Dec 23, 2020
Hambivert:
Hormonal or Cultural inflections?
I don't know, even if I know I can't totally rule it out.
...but sparogatively, I've come across alot of very educated people who find it hard to pronounce some English words correctly.

From the ones who don't know the difference between I'm and Am but still think they are right in all ramification using Am in place of I'm
...to the ones who pronounce CerTiFicate as CerFiTicate. The list is endless.

There are also those who have the H-Factor ingrained in their tongues...these ones make the word everybody sound like Hair-vri-body and still put you into confusion when they are saying words like hair or air ... there's actually no difference with them. Everything is HAIR!
..."The Hair is blowing from the Heast today!"

The ones that I still cannot find a way to correct, are the ones that pronounce words like Treasure, Pressure and Measure as...
Treh-Yor
Preh-Yor and
Meh-Yor.

Anyways, I am in no way mocking any of them here. I'm just a good citizen stating his observation.

Awww. You just reminded me of my friend in training. She has a very strong h-factor, so whenever she is doing presentations, people can’t hold the laughter. It is not like we were out to mock her, but it was just funny you know.

One day she broke down in front of the class and started crying- “I can’t do this anymore”.

It was one of the most emotional days for us as a team. smiley smiley
Re: Which English Words Do You Find Difficult Spelling Or Pronouncing? by Nobody: 10:09pm On Dec 23, 2020
How about this

onchocerciasis
Hepatosplenomegaly
Re: Which English Words Do You Find Difficult Spelling Or Pronouncing? by Easyincome24: 10:09pm On Dec 23, 2020
publicattorneys:

Please any help or guidance on how I can make money from my proficiency in the language? Thanks in anticipation.

I have said a little on this if you can check the first page.

Better still, you can send me an email. Check my profile.
Re: Which English Words Do You Find Difficult Spelling Or Pronouncing? by Nobody: 10:17pm On Dec 23, 2020
Hambivert:
...but sparogatively, I've come across alot of very educated people who find it hard to pronounce some English words correctly.

From the ones who don't know the difference between I'm and Am but still think they are right in all ramification using Am in place of I'm

There are also those who have the H-Factor ingrained in their tongues...these ones make the word everybody sound like Hair-vri-body and still put you into confusion when they are saying words like hair or air ... there's actually no difference with them. Everything is HAIR!

The ones that I still cannot find a way to correct, are the ones that pronounce words like Treasure, Pressure and Measure as...
Treh-Yor
Preh-Yor and
Meh-Yor.

Anyways, I am in no way mocking any of them here. I'm just a good citizen stating his observation.

The H-factor is common among the yorubas
Re: Which English Words Do You Find Difficult Spelling Or Pronouncing? by Nobody: 10:19pm On Dec 23, 2020
Administration1:
I sabi all of them na, na just my English Language Teacher wey no teach us well
See you grin grin me too I hated my English teacher back then, not knowing I'll also end up studying English by force grin
Re: Which English Words Do You Find Difficult Spelling Or Pronouncing? by Lamanii22(f): 10:20pm On Dec 23, 2020
Apreecauts:
I don't know why, but I find it hard to pronounce the word tasks

Or months

1 Like

Re: Which English Words Do You Find Difficult Spelling Or Pronouncing? by emmy512: 10:23pm On Dec 23, 2020
I think I'm good with English in general.
My only problem is differentiating en GB from en US

I mix them a lot, so long as someone understands
Re: Which English Words Do You Find Difficult Spelling Or Pronouncing? by Onlinesmart: 10:26pm On Dec 23, 2020
1OLADesign:
pronunciation....

Before na pronounciation I dey write...

Secondly till now I still spell EXERCISE like Ede X Ede remi coni iya, segun elere ball grin
You refreshed my memories grin

Odabo odabo kayode

1 Like

Re: Which English Words Do You Find Difficult Spelling Or Pronouncing? by Onlinesmart: 10:28pm On Dec 23, 2020
Easyincome24:
I keep asking why some words are not written the way they are pronounced and also some words ain't pronounced the way they are written.

How can I explain that SOLILOQUY is pronounced[b] /so-li-lo-kwi/[/b] transcribed as /səˈlɪləkwi/?

How would I have known that GNARL is pronounced as /narl/ while one swallows the G but transcribed as[i] /nɑːl/[/i]

So guys, what are those English words you find difficult to spell or pronounce?

How's pedophile pronounced?
Re: Which English Words Do You Find Difficult Spelling Or Pronouncing? by Pharaoh4rin(m): 10:28pm On Dec 23, 2020
Catarrh

1 Like

Re: Which English Words Do You Find Difficult Spelling Or Pronouncing? by tunjilee003: 10:30pm On Dec 23, 2020
haddeylium:
Diverstatehead cheesy Not sure of the spelling
devastated
Re: Which English Words Do You Find Difficult Spelling Or Pronouncing? by Drone95(m): 10:44pm On Dec 23, 2020
Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious!
Re: Which English Words Do You Find Difficult Spelling Or Pronouncing? by Lighthammer(m): 10:48pm On Dec 23, 2020
Well i have no issue pronouncing or spelling any english word as an ominvorous avid reader and a dictionary hugging sapien
Re: Which English Words Do You Find Difficult Spelling Or Pronouncing? by Oby09(f): 10:57pm On Dec 23, 2020
There's something missing, look at it again
PAWG:
Pneumoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoconiosis

I find it difficult pronouncing it at a go
Re: Which English Words Do You Find Difficult Spelling Or Pronouncing? by Sunnycliff(m): 11:01pm On Dec 23, 2020
Easyincome24:

That's not so hard dear. You need to do some few google search and YouTube on any aspect you want.

You will still need a guidance so that you don't consume some unnecessary materials online thereby getting you fed with junks.

Here is how you can start right away

#1 Search for your area of interest, that is where your niche will come from for a start. Later as you grow, you can diversify, multi task too.

#2 Blogging is one of the easiest since you have good control of English; so start with a free blog. You can use blogger, WordPress, wix and some free ones.

#3 Join a forum where the same interest is being shared. There you will build confidence and also find supports.

#4 Do more research especially what is trending in your chosen niche( that's your area of interest).

#5 For a start, you may not make money; you probably will be willing to horn your writing and proof reading skills.

#6 You can launch deep a little by registering on Upwork, People per hour, Freelancer, Fiverr etc.
Some may require some certificates from you. Don't worry register as a student with Udemy, Pluralsight, Coursera, Lynda etc to get some free cert or for few dollars.

That's the few I can relate for now.

Good luck if you trail this path!

This is encompassing

2 Likes

Re: Which English Words Do You Find Difficult Spelling Or Pronouncing? by HabibGwen230(f): 11:09pm On Dec 23, 2020
Silhouette �
Re: Which English Words Do You Find Difficult Spelling Or Pronouncing? by Igwe29(m): 11:23pm On Dec 23, 2020
Silhouette
Denouement
Technique

I naturally learn very fast and I'm always meticulous in my writings when I was in school. But some spellings still elude me during exams.
Re: Which English Words Do You Find Difficult Spelling Or Pronouncing? by PAWG(m): 11:27pm On Dec 23, 2020
Oby09:
There's something missing, look at it again

You're right. Wow.

Fixed

1 Like

Re: Which English Words Do You Find Difficult Spelling Or Pronouncing? by popesco123: 11:36pm On Dec 23, 2020
Newman20:
None. I'm quite proficient in English language.

from the punctuation of your comment, your English proficiency dexterity is conspicuously questionable. Anyway I guess if really you mastered all dictions.
Re: Which English Words Do You Find Difficult Spelling Or Pronouncing? by Eillyeillz(m): 11:57pm On Dec 23, 2020
Easyincome24:

That's not so hard dear. You need to do some few google search and YouTube on any aspect you want.

You will still need a guidance so that you don't consume some unnecessary materials online thereby getting you fed with junks.

Here is how you can start right away

#1 Search for your area of interest, that is where your niche will come from for a start. Later as you grow, you can diversify, multi task too.

#2 Blogging is one of the easiest since you have good control of English; so start with a free blog. You can use blogger, WordPress, wix and some free ones.

#3 Join a forum where the same interest is being shared. There you will build confidence and also find supports.

#4 Do more research especially what is trending in your chosen niche( that's your area of interest).

#5 For a start, you may not make money; you probably will be willing to horn your writing and proof reading skills.

#6 You can launch deep a little by registering on Upwork, People per hour, Freelancer, Fiverr etc.
Some may require some certificates from you. Don't worry register as a student with Udemy, Pluralsight, Coursera, Lynda etc to get some free cert or for few dollars.

That's the few I can relate for now.

Good luck if you trail this path!

Thank You for this.

1 Like

Re: Which English Words Do You Find Difficult Spelling Or Pronouncing? by Eillyeillz(m): 11:59pm On Dec 23, 2020
Igwe29:
Silhouette
Denouement
Technique

I naturally learn very fast and I'm always meticulous in my writings when I was in school. But some spellings still elude me during exams.

Happens to everyone.
Re: Which English Words Do You Find Difficult Spelling Or Pronouncing? by Divoc19(f): 12:01am On Dec 24, 2020
1OLADesign:
pronunciation....

Before na pronounciation I dey write...

Secondly till now I still spell EXERCISE like Ede X Ede remi coni iya, segun elere ball grin

OMG! Just when I thought am the only one still doing this
Re: Which English Words Do You Find Difficult Spelling Or Pronouncing? by Poloyanabo2(m): 12:13am On Dec 24, 2020
Hambivert:

Treh-Yor
Preh-Yor and
Meh-Yor.

THE LAST GROUP ARE THE ANNANG PEOPLE OF AKWA IBOM.
Re: Which English Words Do You Find Difficult Spelling Or Pronouncing? by chrizzyace: 12:25am On Dec 24, 2020
aysuprano:
I find it hard to pronounce lingerie

I find it hard to spell diarrhoea

Maybe because you have the “R” factor in words pronunciations...
Re: Which English Words Do You Find Difficult Spelling Or Pronouncing? by DeAlphaMale(m): 12:41am On Dec 24, 2020
The only word i find difficult to pronounce in english is RECIPROCATE
SINCE childhood I've bitten my tongue more times than I can remember trying to pronounce that devilish word
Re: Which English Words Do You Find Difficult Spelling Or Pronouncing? by Lynchburg(m): 12:48am On Dec 24, 2020
kiss kiss
Easyincome24:

That's interesting to know.
kiss
That means you are a dictionary, Lolz.

Joke apart, hope you are utilizing that skill to make money as a translator, proof reader, writer?
Re: Which English Words Do You Find Difficult Spelling Or Pronouncing? by Newman20(m): 1:01am On Dec 24, 2020
Re: Which English Words Do You Find Difficult Spelling Or Pronouncing? by Exodora: 1:05am On Dec 24, 2020
You guys should wait until you pronounce German words then will you know that English ain't even difficult sef.
Re: Which English Words Do You Find Difficult Spelling Or Pronouncing? by PresidentJosh20(m): 1:11am On Dec 24, 2020
Omolomo4eva:
In a seminar I attended in 2018,we were given dictation and the first word was pronounced "you". All the students wrote down 'YOU'. In the end,the answer was 'ewe'.so,ewe is pronounced the same way as you.
Really?That's suprising!
Re: Which English Words Do You Find Difficult Spelling Or Pronouncing? by PresidentJosh20(m): 1:21am On Dec 24, 2020
Well,as a little contribution here,I will like you guys to understand that the present english language is actually a potpouri of diverse languages of the world,most of which are latin,french,arabic,dutch and italian languages.That's why you have words that are not pronounced exactly the way they are spelt.Old english is actually of Anglo-saxon origin,so called from the Angli,a Germanic tribe that settled in Britain in the fifth and sixth centuries.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

UNIJOS Student Commits Suicide Over ASUU Strike / Hilarious Poster Warning Against Urinating Outside At Anambra State University / COVID-19: UNILAG Students Vacating The Hostel (Video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.