Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,266 members, 7,954,037 topics. Date: Friday, 20 September 2024 at 11:16 AM

Which English Words Do You Find Difficult Spelling Or Pronouncing? - Education (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Which English Words Do You Find Difficult Spelling Or Pronouncing? (32936 Views)

20 Rarely Used English Words That We Need To Know / Seven English Words You Will Be Shocked To Know You’ve Been Using Wrongly / English Words You Have Been Using Wrongly As A Nigerian!!! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Which English Words Do You Find Difficult Spelling Or Pronouncing? by Chochovini: 9:36am On Dec 24, 2020
Easyincome24:
Which of these is correct, accessories or assessories?
A) is correct:- Accessories.
Re: Which English Words Do You Find Difficult Spelling Or Pronouncing? by Drizzy5001(m): 9:55am On Dec 24, 2020
I find it hard to pronounce
Pneumonia
Cyber cafe
Lingerie
Re: Which English Words Do You Find Difficult Spelling Or Pronouncing? by Preciouschinwe(f): 10:49am On Dec 24, 2020
Color/colour I don't know the difference
Re: Which English Words Do You Find Difficult Spelling Or Pronouncing? by HalpyBee(f): 11:10am On Dec 24, 2020
lascos912:
you wicked
You almost lost a tooth....lol
Re: Which English Words Do You Find Difficult Spelling Or Pronouncing? by ucheuzor1(m): 1:01pm On Dec 24, 2020
Seeing coelacanth at first might look easy, but try to search for the real pronunciation, then you'll know how out of point you've been.

Another is schadenfreude.
Re: Which English Words Do You Find Difficult Spelling Or Pronouncing? by WriterX(m): 1:26pm On Dec 24, 2020
i was the least pupil in class to figure out the spelling of my own name and surname, English Language was such a pain in the ass to be sincere but I am grateful for trying to cheat myself so to speak into getting a perfect score in one of the English Classes because when i was found out eventually i paid dearly for it in tears and swollen buttocks so i went home and studied, I picked every English book and most importantly newspapers i could find and whilst i still don't consider myself up to par, I am a professional script writer and a novelist. The very subject i hated quite frankly became the only subject i care about a lot.- by anonymous.
Re: Which English Words Do You Find Difficult Spelling Or Pronouncing? by WriterX(m): 1:28pm On Dec 24, 2020
Preciouschinwe:
Color/colour I don't know the difference
both are correct and have same meaning.

1 Like

Re: Which English Words Do You Find Difficult Spelling Or Pronouncing? by WriterX(m): 1:31pm On Dec 24, 2020
joyousever:
Some words that aren't pronounced the way they are spelt include the following:

Ewe (female sheep)- pronounced as you, transcribed as /ju:/
Sachet- Sashey
Machete- masheti
Chauffeur- Shauffer
Uncouth- uncuuth
Quay- Key
Towel -. Taul- ta- all
Procedure - procijur
Education-. Ejiucaition
Colonel- kenel
Pizza- pitsa
Foetus-. Fitus

My hat's off to you ,my lady.
Re: Which English Words Do You Find Difficult Spelling Or Pronouncing? by WriterX(m): 1:32pm On Dec 24, 2020
CalliDora1:
A list of words that do not sound the way they are spelt

Quay. > Key
Yacht pronounced yot
Chalet shalay
Chauffeur. Shafur
Champaign. Shampain
Chef. Shef

Police p'lis

Towel. Tawul

And so many more.

Excellent.

1 Like

Re: Which English Words Do You Find Difficult Spelling Or Pronouncing? by Omolomo4eva(m): 2:40pm On Dec 24, 2020
PresidentJosh20:

Really?That's suprising!
I tell u,when I consulted the dico,it told me the same thing.

1 Like

Re: Which English Words Do You Find Difficult Spelling Or Pronouncing? by Silentgroper(m): 2:48pm On Dec 24, 2020
Phlegm
is it phle-gim or d "g" is silent
Re: Which English Words Do You Find Difficult Spelling Or Pronouncing? by Preciouschinwe(f): 2:56pm On Dec 24, 2020
WriterX:

both are correct and have same meaning.
thanks

1 Like

Re: Which English Words Do You Find Difficult Spelling Or Pronouncing? by vioment: 3:09pm On Dec 24, 2020
LordOfTheWeed:

Fixed cool

Good catch. Noted.

I'm used to being lax online. But I thought it was 'am or I am', but 'I'm' balance the sentence finish.
Re: Which English Words Do You Find Difficult Spelling Or Pronouncing? by Newman20(m): 3:24pm On Dec 24, 2020
Stargurl20:

You should be 'proficient with English' not 'in English'

My humble view though

Hope I cleared your doubt. wink

Re: Which English Words Do You Find Difficult Spelling Or Pronouncing? by Stargurl20(f): 3:26pm On Dec 24, 2020
Newman20:

Hope I cleared your doubt. wink

Yeah. You're indeed good at english wink
Re: Which English Words Do You Find Difficult Spelling Or Pronouncing? by joyousever(f): 3:43pm On Dec 24, 2020
Thansh youuu..ma guy.
WriterX:

My hat's off to you ,my lady.

1 Like

Re: Which English Words Do You Find Difficult Spelling Or Pronouncing? by TonyAntony: 2:19am On Dec 25, 2020
That's interesting to know.

That means you are a dictionary, Lolz.

Joke apart, hope you are utilizing that skill to make money as a translator, proof reader, writer?[/quote]

I'm proficient too. But how can one make money as a proofreader, please?
Re: Which English Words Do You Find Difficult Spelling Or Pronouncing? by HalpyBee(f): 11:41pm On Dec 25, 2020
lascos912:
you wicked
grin
Re: Which English Words Do You Find Difficult Spelling Or Pronouncing? by Easyincome24: 6:48pm On Jun 20, 2021
How can I pronounce gnarl? /gna:l/ or /na:l/

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

8 Nairalanders Who Grew Up Together, Recreate Their Picture After 8 Years / Jamb 2017: Top 10 States According To The Number Of Applicants / ASUU May Call-Off Strike Next Week

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.