Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,192 members, 7,818,632 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 08:15 PM

Which English Words Do You Find Difficult Spelling Or Pronouncing? - Education (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Which English Words Do You Find Difficult Spelling Or Pronouncing? (32631 Views)

20 Rarely Used English Words That We Need To Know / Seven English Words You Will Be Shocked To Know You’ve Been Using Wrongly / English Words You Have Been Using Wrongly As A Nigerian!!! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Which English Words Do You Find Difficult Spelling Or Pronouncing? by Oluwasaeon(m): 1:37am On Dec 24, 2020
Olatara:
A lady spelt Octomber instead of October (she said it is mber, so the letter 'm' must be in it.). Lol!
Lol
Re: Which English Words Do You Find Difficult Spelling Or Pronouncing? by vioment: 1:40am On Dec 24, 2020
Nice 1. Am absorbing some cues here.

If you can get on Google, type in any word and hit the speaker icon to hear the pronunciation.
Re: Which English Words Do You Find Difficult Spelling Or Pronouncing? by charlesucheh(m): 1:42am On Dec 24, 2020
As the colonial master led, our people followed!

so shall it be till the end!!!!

free yourselves from DOGMA and watch as you grow without limits...

1 Like

Re: Which English Words Do You Find Difficult Spelling Or Pronouncing? by joyfullyjoyous(f): 2:44am On Dec 24, 2020
Matchet
Re: Which English Words Do You Find Difficult Spelling Or Pronouncing? by joyousever(f): 2:49am On Dec 24, 2020
Some words that aren't pronounced the way they are spelt include the following:

Ewe (female sheep)- pronounced as you, transcribed as /ju:/
Sachet- Sashey
Machete- masheti
Chauffeur- Shauffer
Uncouth- uncuuth
Quay- Key
Towel -. Taul- ta- all
Procedure - procijur
Education-. Ejiucaition
Colonel- kenel
Pizza- pitsa
Foetus-. Fitus
Re: Which English Words Do You Find Difficult Spelling Or Pronouncing? by Tobloc(m): 4:03am On Dec 24, 2020
Nice thread.
Re: Which English Words Do You Find Difficult Spelling Or Pronouncing? by eedimo(m): 4:55am On Dec 24, 2020
Newman20:
None, I'm quite proficient in English language.
It is useless being proficient in English Language. Rather, you should be proficient in its Usage.
Re: Which English Words Do You Find Difficult Spelling Or Pronouncing? by yetty247(f): 5:08am On Dec 24, 2020
I can't even spell or pronounce it
Re: Which English Words Do You Find Difficult Spelling Or Pronouncing? by lascos912(m): 5:48am On Dec 24, 2020
Easyincome24:
Which of these is correct, accessories or assessories?
1St one
Re: Which English Words Do You Find Difficult Spelling Or Pronouncing? by lascos912(m): 5:49am On Dec 24, 2020
HalpyBee:
Otorhinolaryngologist
Camaraderie
Apocryphal
Puerile

Try pronouncing these words and check to know if you're correct.
you wicked
Re: Which English Words Do You Find Difficult Spelling Or Pronouncing? by illicit(m): 5:50am On Dec 24, 2020
haddeylium:
Diverstatehead cheesy Not sure of the spelling

lol it's devastated....

1 Like

Re: Which English Words Do You Find Difficult Spelling Or Pronouncing? by Zetty177x: 6:00am On Dec 24, 2020
Olatara:
A lady spelt Octomber instead of October (she said it is mber, so the letter 'm' must be in it.). Lol!

I literally 'lol' as I read this. Good I started my day with laughter.thanks for sharing...but the lady might be thinking since October is ember month, why not add 'm'? Lol grin

2 Likes

Re: Which English Words Do You Find Difficult Spelling Or Pronouncing? by Dagger111(m): 6:15am On Dec 24, 2020
Easyincome24:

That's interesting to know.

That means you are a dictionary, Lolz.

Joke apart, hope you are utilizing that skill to make money as a translator, proof reader, writer?

Joking apart

1 Like

Re: Which English Words Do You Find Difficult Spelling Or Pronouncing? by collinometricx: 6:32am On Dec 24, 2020
aysuprano:
I find it hard to pronounce lingerie

I find it hard to spell diarrhoea

Same here
Re: Which English Words Do You Find Difficult Spelling Or Pronouncing? by georgeakins: 6:34am On Dec 24, 2020
What is important is to know how to speak correct English. There is no where you can pronounce well unless you're born in England.
Re: Which English Words Do You Find Difficult Spelling Or Pronouncing? by prem102(m): 6:35am On Dec 24, 2020
Test

Re: Which English Words Do You Find Difficult Spelling Or Pronouncing? by dahmeeyemi: 6:38am On Dec 24, 2020
I speak quite good English but I have to pause to say 'Genuis' or spell ''dilemma''.
Re: Which English Words Do You Find Difficult Spelling Or Pronouncing? by georgeakins: 6:42am On Dec 24, 2020
ifejobi84754:
Which of these is correct, accessories or assessories?

Use dictionary.
Re: Which English Words Do You Find Difficult Spelling Or Pronouncing? by tplayer: 7:03am On Dec 24, 2020
Verbatim.
Re: Which English Words Do You Find Difficult Spelling Or Pronouncing? by IgboWarlord(m): 7:14am On Dec 24, 2020
CuriousMynd:
Methyl​enedioxy​meth
amphetamine

Thats some trip drug bro.
Re: Which English Words Do You Find Difficult Spelling Or Pronouncing? by LordOfTheWeed: 7:18am On Dec 24, 2020
Divoc19:

OMG! Just when I thought i'm am the only one still doing this
Fixed!
Re: Which English Words Do You Find Difficult Spelling Or Pronouncing? by Olatara(f): 7:19am On Dec 24, 2020
Zetty177x:

I literally 'lol' as I read this. Good I started my day with laughter.thanks for sharing...but the lady might be thinking since October is ember month, why not add 'm'? Lol grin
I couldn't correct her, I just ask her to check the calendar then I walked away (I don't want her to be embarrassed).
I couldn't stop laughing myself.

1 Like

Re: Which English Words Do You Find Difficult Spelling Or Pronouncing? by LordOfTheWeed: 7:21am On Dec 24, 2020
vioment:
Nice 1. Am I'm absorbing some cues here.

If you can get on Google, type in any word and hit the speaker icon to hear the pronunciation.

Fixed cool
Re: Which English Words Do You Find Difficult Spelling Or Pronouncing? by MrReeseG(m): 7:22am On Dec 24, 2020
Lighthammer:
Well i have no issue pronouncing or spelling any english word as
an ominvorous avid reader and a dictionary hugging sapien

Was your spelling of *omnivorous* intentional? Or just a show of your expertise in the language?
Re: Which English Words Do You Find Difficult Spelling Or Pronouncing? by Nobody: 7:44am On Dec 24, 2020
PAWG:
PneumoNOultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoconiosis

I find it difficult pronouncing it at a go
This one is a bit simple to pronounce
Re: Which English Words Do You Find Difficult Spelling Or Pronouncing? by kingemaker(m): 7:48am On Dec 24, 2020
CalliDora1:

Zhonri. With the initial consonant (zh) sounding like "zure" in seizure.

Hmmm. Thanks

1 Like

Re: Which English Words Do You Find Difficult Spelling Or Pronouncing? by Stargurl20(f): 8:22am On Dec 24, 2020
Newman20:

You should be 'proficient at English' not 'in English'

My humble view though
Re: Which English Words Do You Find Difficult Spelling Or Pronouncing? by Divoc19(f): 8:34am On Dec 24, 2020
LordOfTheWeed:

Fixed!

Seen, thanks.
Re: Which English Words Do You Find Difficult Spelling Or Pronouncing? by Stargurl20(f): 8:55am On Dec 24, 2020
Newman20:

You should be 'proficient with English' not 'in English'

My humble view though
Re: Which English Words Do You Find Difficult Spelling Or Pronouncing? by Downey(f): 9:12am On Dec 24, 2020
Pseudopseudohypoparathyroidism
Re: Which English Words Do You Find Difficult Spelling Or Pronouncing? by LegendAnselm: 9:21am On Dec 24, 2020
PAWG:
PneumoNOultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoconiosis

I find it difficult pronouncing it at a go
stop this...is not allowed here...mandiii 440 rule 40000000)
Re: Which English Words Do You Find Difficult Spelling Or Pronouncing? by PAWG(m): 9:22am On Dec 24, 2020
LegendAnselm:
stop this...is not allowed here...mandiii 440 rule 40000000)

Da fuq are you talkin bout?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Do You Like The Course You Studied In University Or Polytechnic? / Hilarious Poster Warning Against Urinating Outside At Anambra State University / COVID-19: UNILAG Students Vacating The Hostel (Video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.