Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,851 members, 7,810,280 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 04:42 AM

Why Do Countries Have Different Time Zones? - Science/Technology (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Why Do Countries Have Different Time Zones? (31569 Views)

Abolishment Of School Whatsapp Groups Only For A Particular Zone - Katsina Govt / Update On Fuoye Saga: By Nans Zone D (south West) / I Have Different Names On My Certificates (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Do Countries Have Different Time Zones? by UNCL3(m): 2:09pm On Dec 27, 2020
inumidun2010:

Rotation of the earth causes day and Night(24 hours) while Revolution takes 365 1/4 days to complete a Cycle

Use your dictionary to check the meaning of revolving
Re: Why Do Countries Have Different Time Zones? by lexy2014: 2:09pm On Dec 27, 2020
Agbeni33:
Hey guys,

Can we throw more light on this topic.

Why do countries all over the world have different time zone?

For instance, the difference between Nigeria and UK time is just like 2 hours.

Nigerian and Canada time is like 6 to 7 hours difference. So the question is what is the rationale behind this time perspective?

D picture u attached answers ur question. Y are u still asking a question to which u already provided d answers yourself?
Re: Why Do Countries Have Different Time Zones? by mrkings84(m): 2:10pm On Dec 27, 2020
Agbeni33:

For your information is not all students that offer geography in secondary schools. So you need to learn how to respond to people's questions or post politely.

The funny thing is that he was even unable to answer the question correct
Re: Why Do Countries Have Different Time Zones? by yashau(m): 2:11pm On Dec 27, 2020
tunene66:

There is no time difference between Nigeria and UK hour between the last Sunday in March and the last Sunday in October each year. That is called the British Summer Time .
All other times of the year the UK time is one hour behind that of Nigeria.

Why the time difference.
Basically the earth is not flat, it is spherical and it rotates everyday on its axis, meaning that sunlight does not reach each place on earth the same time and in the same intensity. So when it is day in some places, at the same time in other places it is night.
Thank you bro
!
Re: Why Do Countries Have Different Time Zones? by Slurity(m): 2:12pm On Dec 27, 2020
IF YOU ESCAPE THE UNDERSTANDING OF THIS SIMPLE GEOGRAPHY AND YOU ALREADY USING AN ANDROID PHONE FOR OVER A YEAR THEN I BET YOU DON'T HAVE ANYTHING IN YOUR SKULL THAT IS USEFUL.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Countries Have Different Time Zones? by lexy2014: 2:12pm On Dec 27, 2020
LINTUNE:
the earth is spherical in shape, so the rays of the sun cant touch every part of it at the same time, this y earth rotates and revolves round the sun, such that not only a particular section of the earth surface will enjoy sunlight, in such pattern all part of earth surface would enjoy sunlight, and moonlight( moonlight is the moons reflection of sunrays)

U try. D guy knows d answer to d question he asked. U can see d picture he attached. I guess he's just bored
Re: Why Do Countries Have Different Time Zones? by sty1es: 2:12pm On Dec 27, 2020
Mbataku96:
This one is simple naa, the sun does not shine everywhere at the same time, so time is not the same everywhere.
That's why we all are 15 minutes in a different time zone.
15 minutes? Are you on coke? The earth rotates 1 degree every 15minutes not different time zones every 15 minutes.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Countries Have Different Time Zones? by Kinematics: 2:13pm On Dec 27, 2020
Slurity:
IF YOU ESCAPE THE UNDERSTANDING OF THIS SIMPLE GEOGRAPHY AND YOU ALREADY USING AN ANDROID PHONE FOR OVER A YEAR THEN I BET YOU DON'T HAVE ANYTHING IN YOUR SKULL THAT IS USEFUL.

Re: Why Do Countries Have Different Time Zones? by johhbekeboh09: 2:16pm On Dec 27, 2020
ipobarethieves:
aNah Everybody read geography

I have better perspective of this subject now than while in secondary school!
Re: Why Do Countries Have Different Time Zones? by inumidun2010(m): 2:16pm On Dec 27, 2020
UNCL3:

Use your dictionary to check the meaning of revolving

lols... Geographical terms are different from Dictionary Meaning... Rotation of the Earth is different from Revolution of the Earth... check your Geography Text... There are numerous Scientific terms that are not present in CONVENTIONAL DICTIONARY... We learn everyday... Neither am I too big to be CORRECTED

4 Likes

Re: Why Do Countries Have Different Time Zones? by RuMiRgO1stSon: 2:16pm On Dec 27, 2020
TruthSeeker1:

Why does earth rotate and move around the Sun?

Why do Earth and the other planets rotate at all? It will help to understand how our solar system formed. Almost five billion years ago, our solar system had its beginnings as a vast cloud of dust and gas. The cloud began to collapse, flattening into a giant disk that rotated faster and faster, just as an ice skater spins faster as she brings her arms in. The Sun formed at the center, and the swirling gas and dust in the rest of the spinning disk clumped together to produce the planets, moons, asteroids, and comets. The reason so many objects orbit the Sun in nearly the same plane (called the ecliptic) and in the same direction is that they all formed from this same disk.

credit:NASA

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Countries Have Different Time Zones? by StanleyO22: 2:16pm On Dec 27, 2020
Bkayyy:
It is because of Corona and racism.

Something wey dey Integrated Science and Geography
Mumu Shutup your mouth make better people talk abeg
Re: Why Do Countries Have Different Time Zones? by hush15: 2:19pm On Dec 27, 2020
tunene66:

There is no time difference between Nigeria and UK hour between the last Sunday in March and the last Sunday in October each year. That is called the British Summer Time .

Why the time difference.
Basically the earth is not flat, it is spherical and it rotates everyday on its axis, meaning that sunlight does not reach each place on earth the same time and in the same intensity. So when it is day in some places, at the same time in other places it is night.

Tank you. Sense ain't common at all
Re: Why Do Countries Have Different Time Zones? by SirMichael1: 2:22pm On Dec 27, 2020
flokii:
It's simply due to their position and distance from the equator. As the earth rotates, different parts experience separate daytime and nighttime.

I used to calculate time zones and local times back then in Geography class using latitude and longitudinal coefficients. Now google has made life so easy that you won't need to go through the stress of calculations.
This is the most accurate reply on this thread. The monicker that wrote about the earth experiencing night and day at different time is so wrong. There are places on earth that do not always experience night, so will that mean they won't experience pre-meridian (pm)? Many people didn't pay attention in geography class.
Re: Why Do Countries Have Different Time Zones? by LINTUNE(m): 2:24pm On Dec 27, 2020
lexy2014:

U try. D guy knows d answer to d question he asked. U can see d picture he attached. I guess he just bored
no mind me, i no even wait to open thread before i reply..anyways thanks..
Re: Why Do Countries Have Different Time Zones? by adeniyi65(m): 2:25pm On Dec 27, 2020
tunene66:

Why the time difference.

Yes.simple as A B C
Re: Why Do Countries Have Different Time Zones? by Nobody: 2:28pm On Dec 27, 2020
Great post. We want more.
Re: Why Do Countries Have Different Time Zones? by Mbataku96(m): 2:34pm On Dec 27, 2020
ghettochild:
.olodo
U mean to say 15degree reps one hour
Okay too
I was not always in the class when the teach this kind of stuff

1 Like

Re: Why Do Countries Have Different Time Zones? by adeniyi65(m): 2:36pm On Dec 27, 2020
Deepocean:
Imagine the earth as a ball, put it on a stick.
Tell your friend to point a torchlight (Sun) to one side of the ball, then rotate the ball, the part of the ball that receives the light from the torchlight is the day, while the other side of the ball where the torchlight is not affecting is the night.
you will be a good teacher if it's to be your line.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Countries Have Different Time Zones? by Mbataku96(m): 2:37pm On Dec 27, 2020
sty1es:
15 minutes? Are you on coke? The earth rotates 1 degree every 15minutes not different time zones every 15 minutes.
My friend shut it
There is a 15m gap between all time zones
Re: Why Do Countries Have Different Time Zones? by airsaylongcome: 2:43pm On Dec 27, 2020
dawnomike:
Earth Rotation determines change in night/day across the globe as well as different seasons of the year... But Longitudes of the earth determine the time variation.
Each longitude represents an hour change so if London is on Longitude 0 degrees and Tokyo is on Longitude 03 degrees - Tokyo will be 3hrs ahead of london

I think the hour changes are at 15° longitude
Re: Why Do Countries Have Different Time Zones? by Mannnn(m): 2:44pm On Dec 27, 2020
Priapus69:
The Earth is a sphere that rotates around its axis while the sun is stagnant. Since the earth is a sphere, sunlight cannot reach every side at the same time, so which ever side faces the sun, that part automatically gets daylight (sunlight).
Since the earth is spherical, it has 360 degrees. Divide 360 by 24(hours) it equals 15 degrees. If you chose a point latitude 0, longitude 0 you arrive at a point lets call it meridian. The countries that are on the line fall under GMT +0
Every country that is 15 degrees off the meridian becomes GMT +1, and so on until you get all 24 time zones. The GMT +1, +2 etc indicate how much time should be added to GMT +0 .
see guru, I stan boss

1 Like

Re: Why Do Countries Have Different Time Zones? by Wizedoc(m): 2:49pm On Dec 27, 2020
Priapus69:
The Earth is a sphere that rotates around its axis while the sun is stagnant. Since the earth is a sphere, sunlight cannot reach every side at the same time, so which ever side faces the sun, that part automatically gets daylight (sunlight).
Since the earth is spherical, it has 360 degrees. Divide 360 by 24(hours) it equals 15 degrees. If you chose a point latitude 0, longitude 0 you arrive at a point lets call it meridian. The countries that are on the line fall under GMT +0
Every country that is 15 degrees off the meridian becomes GMT +1, and so on until you get all 24 time zones. The GMT +1, +2 etc indicate how much time should be added to GMT +0 .
You too sabi something grin grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Why Do Countries Have Different Time Zones? by electhnd(m): 2:49pm On Dec 27, 2020
hinograce:
I think receiving sun light doesn’t make the time difference. Someone should explain how some area have 3months of daylight ie no night for months in say Canada. In my opinion day time and night time doesn’t affect the time zone. The question is why are there different times in different locations of the earth at the same instance? I am curious like the op
longitude and latitude are what brings about the time difference, any country on that longitude and latitude will be GMT+0 the next one GMT+1
Re: Why Do Countries Have Different Time Zones? by airsaylongcome: 2:51pm On Dec 27, 2020
Legalcriminal:
This is good post as an Art student I still think about this few hours ago how the whole west Africa will have only a time zone and only a state in US will have two different time zone.
I hopefully read this post to see some answers while I smoke my blunt

West Africa has three time zones just like the US.
Re: Why Do Countries Have Different Time Zones? by electhnd(m): 2:52pm On Dec 27, 2020
Legalcriminal:
This is good post as an Art student I still think about this few hours ago how the whole west Africa will have only a time zone and only a state in US will have two different time zone.
I hopefully read this post to see some answers while I smoke my blunt
in us one part of the country is closed to the sun while the other is behind
Re: Why Do Countries Have Different Time Zones? by SmartPolician: 3:00pm On Dec 27, 2020
tunene66:

Why the time difference.

Great insight

However, the shape of the world is known as Geoid

Even if I no learn anything for my geography class, I learn that one. grin
Re: Why Do Countries Have Different Time Zones? by sishol(m): 3:04pm On Dec 27, 2020
Priapus69:

Best answer, you are a talented teacher!
Re: Why Do Countries Have Different Time Zones? by macjireh: 3:04pm On Dec 27, 2020
dawnomike:
Earth Rotation determines change in night/day across the globe as well as different seasons of the year... But Longitudes of the earth determine the time variation.
Each longitude represents an hour change so if London is on Longitude 0 degrees and Tokyo is on Longitude 03 degrees - Tokyo will be 3hrs ahead of london
u are partially correct... longitudes are imaginary and manmade... d biggest reason for different time zones is simply because d earth rotates about d sun,,but to make it clear to understand,, scientists use longitudes to explain it

1 Like

Re: Why Do Countries Have Different Time Zones? by saintneo(m): 3:06pm On Dec 27, 2020
Agbeni33:
Hey guys,

Can we throw more light on this topic.

Why do countries all over the world have different time zone?

For instance, the difference between Nigeria and UK time is just like 2 hours.

Nigerian and Canada time is like 6 to 7 hours difference. So the question is what is the rationale behind this time perspective?

The Sun refused to rise at the same time on all parts of the earth.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Countries Have Different Time Zones? by Priapus69: 3:12pm On Dec 27, 2020
Deicide:
Everything in the universe is in constant motion....so the sun is not stagnant

True, but for this purpose, it becomes easier to explain

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Things You Didnt Know Were Invented By Kids / See Two Men Fly Above Dubai / Metal Fabrication In Aba (Photos, Video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.