Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,824 members, 7,828,018 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 09:28 PM

Why Do Countries Have Different Time Zones? - Science/Technology (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Why Do Countries Have Different Time Zones? (31742 Views)

Abolishment Of School Whatsapp Groups Only For A Particular Zone - Katsina Govt / Update On Fuoye Saga: By Nans Zone D (south West) / I Have Different Names On My Certificates (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Do Countries Have Different Time Zones? by Kinematics: 4:59pm On Dec 27, 2020
Godsown0:
I have not been there but I’ve nor seen a pic or video where direct sun hits US, have u?

Is US not on planet earth? Why won't direct sun hit it?

Or i don't understand your question? Be clear please
Re: Why Do Countries Have Different Time Zones? by Kinematics: 5:01pm On Dec 27, 2020
ikorodureporta:

...if I can see the sun & a Half moon in the afternoon, then what's blocking the moon,

Mmmmh
Re: Why Do Countries Have Different Time Zones? by Temas: 5:08pm On Dec 27, 2020
MalaikaEH:
Okay, OP, let me teach you in primary school tone and voice.

My instructional material is a flashlight (touch) and a spherical globe containing map of the world. For easier understanding, take the materials to a dark room where the only source of light is the touch light.

Now, the touch represents the sun and should be kept on a chair at one corner of the room. The sun is the only source of light in the whole universe. The moon and stars merely reflect rays of light from the sun. The sun does not move at all. It is stationary and shines constantly without stopping. So, in this dark room, keep the touch light shining at one place towards the globe without offing it.

Back to the globe, make it stand constantly on the south pole with Australia near it, while the North Pole is constantly upside with Siberia, Alaska and Northern Russia close to it.

Now, set the globe in such a way that the light is shining directly on the map of Nigeria on the globe. In real world, that happens around 12pm in Nigeria. Other countries on the same line (latitude) with Nigeria, such as Italy, Libya, Tunisia, Niger, Germany, etc have their 12pm at the same time. So, it is said that they are on the same time zone.

At this same time, countries and areas directly behind Nigeria on the other side of the globe will have their 12am (i.e. Mid night) because the light from the touch (sun) can not reach them.

The earth rotates anti-clockwise on its axis (meaning that it turns round and round slowly on the South Pole side). So, we turn our globe so that the touch light now shines directly on the map of Ghana, Mali, UK, Spain, etc . In reality, it takes the earth complete 1 hour to make this turn. So, the time zone around the world would have changed by 1 hour. Time in Nigeria becomes 1pm when Ghana has 12pm, At this same time, Senegal would be having 11am. The earth and time continue to move until Nigeria will reach behind the light, which is night. At 12am (mid night) in Nigeria, some countries facing the sun will have their mid day. It takes 24 hours for the earth to rotate completely on its axis. That is what we call one day.

Also, the earth revolves around the sun. That means it continues moving, apart From rotating, until it has gone round the sun. This takes 365 and one quarter days to complete. That is one year.

I hope you all understand today's lesson.

Just to correct some stuff. The sun is not the only object with light in the whole universe. In fact the sun is a star in the milky way galaxy ( our galaxy) there are other stars out there just like the sun. The sun will die one day just like the other stars had.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Countries Have Different Time Zones? by Bosun13: 5:09pm On Dec 27, 2020
Earth is flat not spherical.... Optical illusion is the causes of sphere earth blf....
Earth is like disc shape not like ball.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Countries Have Different Time Zones? by nelxxy(m): 5:13pm On Dec 27, 2020
ikorodureporta:

...if I can see the sun & a Half moon in the afternoon, then what's blocking the moon,
The moon has four phases: new, 1st quarter, full, and third quarter. (The acronym for the three visible phases is DOC.) The new moon is basically invisible and happens when the moon and Sun are on the same side of Earth. (You see a sliver of the new moon above the western horizon as the Sun is setting around the time of the new moon.) At the first quarter, the half moon looks like a “D” because the reflected light from the Sun is coming from the western horizon. Notice that the night of the full moon, the moon always rises at sunset. The Sun and moon are on different sides of Earth, the Sun on the western horizon, the moon on the eastern. The third quarter moon is a half moon, but looks like a “C” because the reflected light from the Sun is hitting the moon from beyond Earth’s eastern horizon. Furthermore, think of the times that the 1st quarter moon, and the third quarter moon are visible. You can sometimes see the 1st quarter moon during the daytime but you see the 3rd quarter moon in the middle of the night. I hope this helps.

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Countries Have Different Time Zones? by Donspicey: 5:16pm On Dec 27, 2020
ikorodureporta:
na why moon dey disappear I won know.
Where e dey go ... & y crescent & full moon dey form.
wetin dey block am??

As wahala no dey finish na so learning no dey finish........

Me sef wan know why the sun dey change position and dem say e dey one place....
Re: Why Do Countries Have Different Time Zones? by MalaikaEH(f): 5:19pm On Dec 27, 2020
Godsown0:
Sun no dey touch USA why?

Tell me something!
So USA does not have afternoon and night?
When some other people are asking why parts of Alaska in USA or Canada have 24 hour daylight, you say they don't have. Anyway, I am not doubting you, because I don't have the answer you seek.
Re: Why Do Countries Have Different Time Zones? by Donspicey: 5:19pm On Dec 27, 2020
nelxxy:
The moon has four phases: new, 1st quarter, full, and third quarter. (The acronym for the three visible phases is DOC.) The new moon is basically invisible and happens when the moon and Sun are on the same side of Earth. (You see a sliver of the new moon above the western horizon as the Sun is setting around the time of the new moon.) At the first quarter, the half moon looks like a “D” because the reflected light from the Sun is coming from the western horizon. Notice that the night of the full moon, the moon always rises at sunset. The Sun and moon are on different sides of Earth, the Sun on the western horizon, the moon on the eastern. The third quarter moon is a half moon, but looks like a “C” because the reflected light from the Sun is hitting the moon from beyond Earth’s eastern horizon. Furthermore, think of the times that the 1st quarter moon, and the third quarter moon are visible. You can sometimes see the 1st quarter moon during the daytime but you see the 3rd quarter moon in the middle of the night. I hope this helps.

You mean the sun and the moon can be visible at same time?

1 Like

Re: Why Do Countries Have Different Time Zones? by Temas: 5:21pm On Dec 27, 2020
Kinematics:

The earth rotates horizontally not vertically on its axis, while rotating it revolves around the sun.

Rotation causes day and night while revolution causes year.

The earth uses 24hrs to make a complete rotation, while it uses 365days or 366 days to revolve round the sun.

The sun does not rotate, rather the earth does.

Again the earth doesn't use 24 hours to complete a rotation on its axis. In fact, the approximate time is said to be 23hrs 56minutes and few seconds. We rounded it up to 24hrs just to make the math easier. However, using the 24hrs metric, we overshot the real natural calendar. This is the reason we have to reset it every four years. " The leap year"

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do Countries Have Different Time Zones? by Kinematics: 5:23pm On Dec 27, 2020
Temas:

Again the earth doesn't use 24 hours to complete a rotation on its axis. Infact, the approximate time is said to be 23hrs 56minutes and fees seconds. We rounded it up to 24hrs just to make the maths easier. However, using the 24hrs metric, we overshot the real natural calender. This is the reason we have to reset it every four years. " The leap year"

We all know that. Thats the reason for the 1/4 or leap year. However while explaining to people that have no idea you make it simple.
Re: Why Do Countries Have Different Time Zones? by Nobody: 5:26pm On Dec 27, 2020
is because we have different papa and mama na.
Re: Why Do Countries Have Different Time Zones? by TruthSeeker1: 5:37pm On Dec 27, 2020
RuMiRgO1stSon:

Why do Earth and the other planets rotate at all? It will help to understand how our solar system formed. Almost five billion years ago, our solar system had its beginnings as a vast cloud of dust and gas. The cloud began to collapse, flattening into a giant disk that rotated faster and faster, just as an ice skater spins faster as she brings her arms in. The Sun formed at the center, and the swirling gas and dust in the rest of the spinning disk clumped together to produce the planets, moons, asteroids, and comets. The reason so many objects orbit the Sun in nearly the same plane (called the ecliptic) and in the same direction is that they all formed from this same disk.

credit:NASA
This "theory" makes a lot of sense and it's probably the truth (as opposed to some religious nonsense about creation). But it interests me to understand further what gave rise to this "vast cloud of dust and gas", what made it to collapse, what made the resulting giant disk to rotate faster and faster, and exactly how the solar system formed consequently. Thanks
Re: Why Do Countries Have Different Time Zones? by Temas: 5:47pm On Dec 27, 2020
Kinematics:

We all know that. Thats the reason for the 1/4 or leap year. However while explaining to people that have no idea you make it simple.

Meant no harm sir. Just that when it comes to science, it is better to teach complex things accurately using simple method. That way, when they learn, it is a fact. Imagine the school teacher of the other the lady who said the Sun is our only source of light in the whole universe. This teacher might have said that in the spirit of oversimplification. By the way, not all people like you admitted know about how we came about the leap year!
Re: Why Do Countries Have Different Time Zones? by Salym(m): 5:51pm On Dec 27, 2020
Priapus69:
The Earth is a sphere that rotates around its axis while the sun is stagnant. Since the earth is a sphere, sunlight cannot reach every side at the same time, so which ever side faces the sun, that part automatically gets daylight (sunlight).
Since the earth is spherical, it has 360 degrees. Divide 360 by 24(hours) it equals 15 degrees. If you chose a point latitude 0, longitude 0 you arrive at a point lets call it meridian. The countries that are on the line fall under GMT +0
Every country that is 15 degrees off the meridian becomes GMT +1, and so on until you get all 24 time zones. The GMT +1, +2 etc indicate how much time should be added to GMT +0 .
More clarification. Longitudes are imaginary lines running from North Pole to South pole. GMT, which is one of the imaginary lines of Longitude and assigned a zero value or starting point, passes through London in Europe and Ghana in Africa thereby dividing the world into two: East and West. Any country to the East of GMT has a positive value depending on its location away from GMT and any country to West of GMT will have a negative value. This now determines the time of each country relative to it's position vis a vis the GMT.

Now another thing is standard time. A country like Nigeria is not exactly 15 degrees East, it is something from 6 degrees to 12 degrees East. But Nigerian standard time is 1 hour ahead of GMT at Long 15 degrees East (in reality Maiduguri to the East experiences sunrise and sunset at a different time from Sokoto to the West. Larger countries like Russia, USA and Canada keep more than one standard time since they have several time zones (each 15 degree is a time zone. So you hear them saying so and so Eastern time (say New York) and so and so Western time (say California).

The attached picture shows the lines of longitude passing through Nigeria. All countries with same lines passing from North to South have basically the same time.

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Countries Have Different Time Zones? by youngblaq: 5:56pm On Dec 27, 2020
Bosun13:
Earth is flat not spherical.... Optical illusion is the causes of sphere earth blf....
Earth is like disc shape not like ball.
Is that right?
Re: Why Do Countries Have Different Time Zones? by nelxxy(m): 5:57pm On Dec 27, 2020
Donspicey:

You mean the sun and the moon can be visible at same time?
yes, The moon passes the Sun in the sky once every 29.5 days (called New Moon) and then moves slowly away from the Sun until it's exactly opposite the Sun at Full Moon, two weeks later. At any point in these two weeks, you can see the Sun and the Moon in the afternoon sky at the same time.
Re: Why Do Countries Have Different Time Zones? by Donspicey: 6:08pm On Dec 27, 2020
nelxxy:
yes, The moon passes the Sun in the sky once every 29.5 days (called New Moon) and then moves slowly away from the Sun until it's exactly opposite the Sun at Full Moon, two weeks later. At any point in these two weeks, you can see the Sun and the Moon in the afternoon sky at the same time.

Like seriously i hv not witnessed it bfr.......

Can i still see it bfr d end of dis month

Does the occurence ve a particular time?
Re: Why Do Countries Have Different Time Zones? by Salym(m): 6:15pm On Dec 27, 2020
SirMichael1:
This is the most accurate reply on this thread. The monicker that wrote about the earth experiencing night and day at different time is so wrong. There are places on earth that do not always experience night, so will that mean they won't experience pre-meridian (pm)? Many people didn't pay attention in geography class.
Wrong: time zones have nothing to do with the equator which is a line of Latitude. Times zones are related to Longitudes and as such his assertion is wrong. Don't compare time zones with days and nights. They differ in some aspects.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Do Countries Have Different Time Zones? by Nancy1986: 6:24pm On Dec 27, 2020
TruthSeeker1:

Really, I thought it's the sun that moves around the earth; it rises in the east, moves across the sky then sets in the west. If the earth is really rotating, we should feel or sense it somehow!

U rotate as the earth rotate that why
Re: Why Do Countries Have Different Time Zones? by Lekan239(m): 6:28pm On Dec 27, 2020
tunene66:

There is no time difference between Nigeria and UK hour between the last Sunday in March and the last Sunday in October each year. That is called the British Summer Time .
All other times of the year the UK time is one hour behind that of Nigeria.

Why the time difference.
Basically the earth is not flat, it is spherical and it rotates everyday on its axis, meaning that sunlight does not reach each place on earth the same time and in the same intensity. So when it is day in some places, at the same time in other places it is night.

Pls enlightened me on why at this period in UK, tge day get dark as early as 5pm. Thanks
Re: Why Do Countries Have Different Time Zones? by TruthSeeker1: 6:31pm On Dec 27, 2020
Nancy1986:

U rotate as the earth rotate that why
No, I don't rotate and neither does the earth!
Re: Why Do Countries Have Different Time Zones? by Ustec: 6:50pm On Dec 27, 2020
femi4:
As Earth rotates, different parts of Earth receive sunlight or darkness, giving us day and night. As your location on Earth rotates into sunlight, you see the sun rise. ... Since different parts of Earth enter and exit daylight at different times, hence the birth of different time zones.
Has your family house ever change it location and position due to earth rotation before?
Explain?(20 marks)
Re: Why Do Countries Have Different Time Zones? by tot(f): 6:51pm On Dec 27, 2020
ednut1:
i don hear. Many countries also adjust the time by one hour during winter. In summer it gets dark like 8 to 11.but winter by 4.30pm to 5 pm every where is already dark.

Picture taken at 5.39 pm in Toronto

Typical JJC behaviour. Who asked you for picture? Look at the science-based responses others are providing and borrow a leaf.
Re: Why Do Countries Have Different Time Zones? by nelxxy(m): 7:01pm On Dec 27, 2020
Donspicey:

Like seriously i hv not witnessed it bfr.......

Can i still see it bfr d end of dis month

does the occurence ve a particular time?
no
Re: Why Do Countries Have Different Time Zones? by femi4: 7:03pm On Dec 27, 2020
Ustec:

Has your family house ever change it location and position due to earth rotation before?
Explain?(20 marks)
The earth rotates at a constant speed. As the earth moves, everything else move. Hence, no changes in the location of the family house
Re: Why Do Countries Have Different Time Zones? by ednut1(m): 7:09pm On Dec 27, 2020
tot:

Typical JJC behaviour. Who asked you for picture? Look at the science-based responses others are providing and borrow a leaf.
you can kindly ignore na. I'm not the cause of your frustrations
Re: Why Do Countries Have Different Time Zones? by dawnomike(m): 7:09pm On Dec 27, 2020
airsaylongcome:

I think the hour changes are at 15° longitude
You are very right
Re: Why Do Countries Have Different Time Zones? by adanny01(m): 7:12pm On Dec 27, 2020
TruthSeeker1:

Really, I thought it's the sun that moves around the earth; it rises in the east, moves across the sky then sets in the west. If the earth is really rotating, we should feel or sense it somehow!

It's the moon that revolves around the earth while the earth revolves around the sun.

The rotation is really slow but to explain further, if you are in a slow moving car, you can't feel the speed. Once the speeds gets to 120km/h you feel the speed, by the time it gets to around 300km/h you definitely feel G-Force acting on you like when a plane is taking off.
Re: Why Do Countries Have Different Time Zones? by Seebrian(m): 7:35pm On Dec 27, 2020
Ustec:

Explain?(20 marks)
Chai, this is the same question I began to ask myself o. More insight on this question please.
Re: Why Do Countries Have Different Time Zones? by Udapod(m): 7:38pm On Dec 27, 2020
dawnomike:
Earth Rotation determines change in night/day across the globe as well as different seasons of the year... But Longitudes of the earth determine the time variation.
Each 15 degrees longitude represents an hour change so if London is on Longitude 0 degrees and Tokyo is on Longitude 45 degrees - Tokyo will be 3hrs ahead of london
You are absolutely correct!
Re: Why Do Countries Have Different Time Zones? by Udapod(m): 7:44pm On Dec 27, 2020
TruthSeeker1:

Chai! Sorry!! we are in an inertial frame of refrence so u cant feel it.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Countries Have Different Time Zones? by Seebrian(m): 7:49pm On Dec 27, 2020
femi4:
The earth rotates at a constant speed. As the earth moves, everything else move. Hence, no changes in the location of the family house
Yet to understand this explanation o.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

SpaceX Launch: NASA Astronauts Make History / Woman Gives Birth To Her Granddaughter / 'Doomsday Glacier' In Antarctica Is Holding On 'By Its Fingernails' - Scientists

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.